BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Arsenal Preview

Eddie

I think the response is more than a little hysterical. First half we played well, the two goals aside, and should have gone in level. The second goal seemed to kill us off, and the lack drive in the second half was worrying.

I thought Reid did well, and Pedersen played better than the whole of last season. The problems are elsewhere; there are individuals playing below par - Warnock, Samba and Nelsen; we appear to have bought a duffer in Andrews if today's showing is anything to go by; whilst the more open balance of the team means we're easy to score against.

Worrying times, but short of the disaster portrayed above.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just an observation- not one Rovers players player at present would be good enough to get into Arsenal's team. We sold the two who probably would be worth a place.

Well, that's pretty much the point of the transfer window. Not only to strengthen your own team, but to weaken your rivals as much as you can. Spurs, City and Villa took everyone that was really good, and we're left with the rest.

Watched this in a bar in Sydney last night and was ashamed to be a Rovers fan. Ince is a clown and JW is an idiot for appointing him.

If he was just getting poor results that would be one thing - there can be all sorts of reasons. But when this buffoon REPEATEDLY makes decisions that the rest of us can see are awful from a mile off then the sooner we get rid the better.

Selling Bentley without signing a replacement?

Signing Andrews AND playing him in the first team against Arsenal?

Signing Fowler and saying "it's not so long ago since he was banging in the goals for Liverpool" - what planet is he on?

The only decision he's made that seems like it might have potential was signing Villaneuva - but if he's not even going to give him a go in the first team then what's the point? Exciting young Chilean player of the year vs a League Two journeyman - it's a no brainer surely.

Ince is an idiot and this is a decision I made long before he got made Rovers manager - his pathetic bleating about appointing an English manager after the McLaren debacle said everything about how narrow minded and limited this man was in his thinking.

Hell I know we shouldn't sack anyone after four games and that's not the right way of doing things, but I really wish we did anyway as this man is so out of his depth its untrue. Like I said, often managers get poor results to start but it's more the team playing generally poorly, due to various factors like the team needing to adapt to the new style etc. But in this case he's made successive specific decisions that all the fans can see are disasters waiting to happen, and they look like proving to be so.

Ince has pretty much said it himself that he expects to make mistakes. This season is going to be a learning curve, like it was for Mark Hughes (our managers words, not mine).

Hearing his comments pre/post match give me no confidence, so I can only think what affect it has on the players. He also speaks like a chav which must go down well.

Wonder what our ex-army coach is making of it all. More press-ups and sit-ups for the lads maybe? Or maybe he will pressurise Ince in starting Robbie Fowler for the next few games.

Someone got to put to blame and my finger points to the manager. He failed the test badly against the best passing team in the league. No gameplan at all..

How can Ince not field a ball winner/destroyer really buffles me because I thought he played with an 'Axe' in his team. Instead the whole midfield stands off

and let Arsenal play their usual game which is suicidal to me. :o

Mokoena should have started instead of Reid which I think played poorer than Andrews.

And stop playing those offside trap now!! I feel its making our back 4 look like donkeys trying to stay on the 'line' and its causing games now.

For goodness sake just mark your markers out of the game the way Nelsen and Samba did so well before.

Our wideman actually put some useful crosses in esp the 1st half but the front man couldnt make it count which is disappointing.

Arsenal defenders aren't the tallest but still Roberts is ineffective in the air, I thought Santa doesnt look his usual self, look tired to me.

On the subs, why McCarthy? I thought Carlos is a better choice as he's more willing runner when we need to chase a game.

Derbyshire at right wing again?? Should have push him as 3 upfront. Poor decision really.

I would have accepted a lost with a good performance. But now with a week of preparation ahead of Fulham match, I expect to see a better side tactically and

most important defensively to win it. Com'on Rovers! :brfc:

Carlos is still learning english so that he can communicate with his team mates on the pitch?

I know some of you guys want ince out now but consider the alternatives available to us now. Laudrup, HTC and Billic are all not available now. If we sack Ince now, we'll most likely end up with either Curbishley or Allardyce!

How awful...two managers with vastly superior records to Ince?

We would really be in for it then!

Why is all the blame attached to Ince?

Yes he is out of his depth; but at the end of the day it was the boards’ decision to appoint him ahead of the likes of Big Sam & Laudrup. ( One cant help feel that Ince appointment now looks- like it was down to saving money rather than appointing the best man for the job).

They must have known his knowledge around players outside of the lower leagues was ‘sketchy’ at best yet still chose him ahead of more experiences/skilled managers.

Yes I blame Ince & his players, but for me the people who must shoulder the majority of what is currently going on at Ewood is the board and owners. Who truly are penny-pinching, un -ambitious half-wits.

Totally agree with the above and if I recollect I said as much a month or so ago.

Thing is though... If we get rid of Ince so early in his appointment it will just make Rovers appear as retarded as the likes of the Geordies / Hammers et al in the running of their clubs, which I find distasteful even though it maybe for the greater good, I am sure JW and the board will probably be harbouring the same thoughts at this time as well.

I am afraid looking at it objectively are stuck with Ince for the foreseeable future, as it looks like to me that the higher echelons at Ewood have gone and stuck themselves well and truely in a corner with this appointment, the only thing that could pull us out of the "mire" is if Newcastle do take him off our hands, as they might think that Ince will satisfy their "Yes Man" criteria for the next manager.

I am still going to give Ince till Christmas but yes if we can't beat Fulham then I think that window of optimism may diminish quite rapidly...

Having thought about the match and watched MOTD it seems clear there are many problems which need addressing. At HT I said to Den Arsenal hadn't got out of first gear and I'm afraid it's true they didn't break sweat to beat Rovers yesterday. I don't think we played badly in the first half, it's more to do with the way the team was set up, players out of position, the players who were playing and those who weren't, poor choice of starting tactics and a failure to make changes.

We know how to play Arsenal; pack the midfield, get in their faces and don't let them play. If Wenger's FT interview is a moan about Blackburn Rovers the team have done their job. Ince seemed to set the team up to try and out play Arsenal, and to an extent it worked beacuse we did create 4-5 chances in the first half BUT Arsenal were sweeping through a very open Rovers side with complete ease. Had we scored from one of those chances it would have made little difference. In this style of game had Arsenal chosen to change up a couple of gears they would have destroyed us. 4-0 was professional, it could have been more.

To out play Arsenal you need some creativity and this we lacked. Reid was playing the central midfield role and taking a lot of the ball - he hardly sprayed around the killer passes though. At 2-0 down Ince should have changed things around. Villanueva should have been on at HT in an attempt to create something for RSC and Roberts. Bringing on McCarthy (did he get the wrong shirt size this year?) is pointless in this situation. McCarthy is idle at the best of times, against Arsenal and 2-0 down he'll do nothing. We arrived late and I missed the team announcements. After 30 minutes I began to wonder were Dunn was, it was then I realised Andrews was playing! This man is hopelesss. One moment summed him up; RSC pulled a cracking ball back to the edge of the penalty, slap bang central on goal with no Arsenal player near. Did we have a midfielder following in? No, but we did have 6, SIX, players stood on the half-way line. Andrews should have been on that ball. Despite being MOTM Emerton didn't do much; he should be at right back, we all know he is not a winger. That would mean we don't have to play Simpson, if he was good enough he had have the confidence and he doesn't. Simpson will be a Championship player at best, Ferguson knows that.

I watched the early part of the 07/08 DVD last night. Our lack of creativity, compared to last year, is absolutely frightening. The failure to even begin to replace Bentley is going to be a big, big problem. Perhaps Villanueva is the answer but we won't find out with a no hoper like Andrews on the field.

Arsenal could have truely thrashed us yesterday, be grateful they didn't need to.

Only two of the team didnt play for Hughes. What has happened to them? I think they are being asked to do the wrong things and that has to be down to the manager and his backroom team. Yesterday's game showed Ince's naiviety and lack of experience. His post match interview referred to the lesson or need to learn from the game. I hope he was talking about himself. Fulham, Everton and Newcastle are crucial games now.

I like Paul Robinson more with each game he plays though I don't like his long, long clearances down field.

We know how to play Arsenal; pack the midfield, get in their faces and don't let them play. If Wenger's FT interview is a moan about Blackburn Rovers the team have done their job. Ince seemed to set the team up to try and out play Arsenal, and to an extent it worked beacuse we did create 4-5 chances in the first half BUT Arsenal were sweeping through a very open Rovers side with complete ease. Had we scored from one of those chances it would have made little difference. In this style of game had Arsenal chosen to change up a couple of gears they would have destroyed us. 4-0 was professional, it could have been more.

Couldn't agree more, Paul. It's obvious, really, if you've watched Arsenal over the years. They are too good at counter-attack football. It is suicidal to have Andrews, Reid, Warnock galloping forward at every opportunity.

I don't advocate Allardyce aerial attrition. I advocate controlled, solid, two holding midfielders football to face Arsenal. And we'd probably still lose but it'd make it harder for them.

At 2-0 down Ince should have changed things around. Villanueva should have been on at HT in an attempt to create something for RSC and Roberts. Bringing on McCarthy (did he get the wrong shirt size this year?) is pointless in this situation. McCarthy is idle at the best of times, against Arsenal and 2-0 down he'll do nothing. We arrived late and I missed the team announcements. After 30 minutes I began to wonder were Dunn was, it was then I realised Andrews was playing! This man is hopelesss. One moment summed him up; RSC pulled a cracking ball back to the edge of the penalty, slap bang central on goal with no Arsenal player near. Did we have a midfielder following in? No, but we did have 6, SIX, players stood on the half-way line. Andrews should have been on that ball.

I agree, Villanueva should have come on. Benni is a crud sub because he's lethargic.

However, I can't hammer Andrews. He's making the step up. He's gone from League 2 to Arsenal!!! Surely, it's unfair to judge him yet. He seems a tidy player who will develop. Ince needs to sort out whether he wants him to be a holding player or not.

Despite being MOTM Emerton didn't do much; he should be at right back, we all know he is not a winger. That would mean we don't have to play Simpson, if he was good enough he had have the confidence and he doesn't. Simpson will be a Championship player at best, Ferguson knows that.

Yes, it is a sad reflection of our team that Emerton was our best attacking outlet. This is a man who stars at the basics - he can cross well, run, tackle. Ask him to do something difficult - score from long range, put in a through ball etc - he struggles. His attitude is refreshingly honest, his technique strong, his physique powerful....but speed of thought is lacking. He's a right back.

As for Simpson - again, I think he deserves time. However, I Stand by my claim that Simpson is no improvement on Kane. A young, quick, enthusiastic right back but without any really exciting qualities. It was a bit pointless loaning him, imo. But we'll see as he gains belief. At the moment, he is all to eager to get rid of the ball, which is understandable for a newbie.

It might be unfair to judge Andrews but it definitely isnt unfair to judge the man who has thrown him into the deep end.

Are you really telling me the step up from League 2 to Premiership is easier to make than South American/International football to Premiership? If a fair bit depends on a players ability as well, I think we can all agree on who the better player is.

Couldn't agree more, Paul. It's obvious, really, if you've watched Arsenal over the years. They are too good at counter-attack football. It is suicidal to have Andrews, Reid, Warnock galloping forward at every opportunity.

I don't advocate Allardyce aerial attrition. I advocate controlled, solid, two holding midfielders football to face Arsenal. And we'd probably still lose but it'd make it harder for them.

I do in certain circumstances. I seem to rem that Allardyce's Bolton had a remarkeable success rate against the Arsenal. For a small club in the Prem with no money points on the board is the only currency.

The outcome was obvious to me when I heard the team news - Beryl Reid and Julie bloody Andrews as our midfiled partnership!? They would be a poor pair in the Championship never mind the Prem! What a farce!

And another thing ..... it was nice to see the positive impact that the prayer room is having on our attendance. The copious empty seats in the BBE must be a real boost to the pc brigade. Any guesses what the Fulham attendance might be!? Sub 17k for me.

And another thing ..... it was nice to see the positive impact that the prayer room is having on our attendance. The copious empty seats in the BBE must be a real boost to the pc brigade. Any guesses what the Fulham attendance might be!? Sub 17k for me.

Yes but at least Alf'll be able to go in for a quick grovel and wail won't he?

Paul,

I whole heartedly agree with you matey, I took a neutral Evertonian along with me yesterday and he was more depressed than I was!

Outside of MGP, Santa & Robbo I thought we were shocking, and if it wasn't for Robinson and a good degree of over elaboration by Arsenal we'd have got utterly spanked yesterday, how right you are about them not getting out of second gear, we didn't ask them to.

The first was an absolute gift, the second was so easy and embarrassing (And the timing!) , the penalty was a farce and I wasn't there for the 4th (Only the 3rd time I have EVER done that!)

When the penalty went in, I looked at Ince and saw no response, not a thing, my blood boiled and I shouted **** off Ince (Out of total frustration)

I then got into a heated exchange with a fellow fan all the way upto the Brown Cow! He thought that losing 4-0 at home after losing 4-1 to West Ham and drawing with Hull was acceptable!!! FFS, what is happening to us!!!????

Warnock & Nelson inparticular were shocking, hence them falling out (Twice)

Andrews is not upto it, simple as, he's lightweight and too slow, I couldn't believe he was starting & against Arsenal!? I'm not a great fan of the Axe, but what must he think? Would he have given Fibre glass the freedom of Blackburn??? No. Some nice touches (Which never come off) positioning was all over the place, wanted too much time, got robbed far too much. Championship grade player

Reid had a shocker, Roberts was AWOL, Treacy gets a run out when it's all over, Derbyshire gets played out of position (AGAIN!) whilst Carlos stays on the bench ?

Mistakes, fine, incompetence? Not acceptable. AGAIN!

haha Den, yes the pie was excellent :P

I would ask Ozzie to do the usual pie rating but for me, I had been at work since 0600 and missed out on the bacon butty run at 0900 so the only option for me was the Meat and Spud pie !!

Didnt notice Rev however as I was too busy scoffing my face :P

Pie free day for me yesterday, maybe that was the reason we lost. :o

I only got to see the MOTD highlights of the rovers game last night and from what I could see Robbo looked in good form and seemed to be keeping himself in better positions for crosses and corners and made some tidy saves being unlucky with the pen and none of the goals really seemed to be his fault. I could see that Warnock wasn't playing to his best and however it did seem that Andrews was making some tidy touches again and Roberts and RSC looked good together again. However, like many people have said, it would have been interesting to see how the big CV, well small cv, but neways it would of been interesting to see how he would get on against a team like arsenal.

Might be more to do with the dire football we are playing and the Cat A matchday prices! :rolleyes:

Did somebody say that Winterburn had not taken up his duties yet? I certainly hope that is the case.

Anyway

1. Despite Nelsen being the worst ch on our books by far he is still being selected. We need to perm any 2 from 3 imo and keep him for cup games and injury situations.

2. Defending is mighty tough when the midfield is as disjointed and inept as ours was. There is an old saying that when the opposition have the ball the whole team must become defenders. This was not the case.

3. All Arsenals goals came from spaces exploited by Arsenals strikers between the centre halves and the full backs. I know that Warnock and Nelsen were having spats about who was to blame but the fact is that once RVP / Adebayor pulled back from Nelsen and Samba the players that should have seen the danger and shouted or moved in to cover were Warnock and Emerton. For the last goal in particular Emerton must surely have seen Adebayor completely free after Samba deserted his post to hold hands with Nelsen, yet he chose to simply stand and stare whilst Adebayor had all day to round Robinson and score.

I've got to agree with Jim that the apparent lack of spirit within that team smacks of a relegation squad.

Does anybody know what the banner was about on the back of the plane? :huh:

Advertising free setanta on some BT web site I think.

Did somebody say that Winterburn had not taken up his duties yet? I certainly hope that is the case.

Yessss, but no one bothers to listen.

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/sport/fo...gel_Winterburn/

“I have not done any work with the lads anyway due to all the international games yet so whatever happens on Saturday I can not claim any input.”

Yessss, but no one bothers to listen.

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/sport/fo...gel_Winterburn/

“I have not done any work with the lads anyway due to all the international games yet so whatever happens on Saturday I can not claim any input.”

Not a situation that would be viewed very favourably at most clubs if that is the case as we have the worst goals against record in the Prem by far.

I said after everton that we'd likely have to score 3 this season to win and it's looking to be the case..... if not worse. :(

Never easy to live with a 4-0 home defeat and seeing the team in the relegation places. It`s always easier to generalise a performance but during the course of the 90 minutes the game tends to have moments of optimism followed by bad luck or a bad piece of play which alters the whole picture. In the first half Rovers played some great attacking football and we should have been level at least at halftime. Roque was on fire to me and I cant understand some people saying he looked tired.

1-0 down was acceptable but then another great Arsenal move saw Adebayor up against Warnock and 2-0.

From then on the game was lost and everyone knew it Rovers will never beat Arsenal from that position.

Andrews and Reid was an odd combination I would agree and I thought Andrews looked a better bet. The back 4 looked a shambles and the sooner Winterburn gets to them the better. I feel for Robinson who let in 8 goals but has played well.

Fulham next week is a vital game. Changes? Emerton full back; Villanueva and Treacy in for Reid and Pedersen.

By Monday night there could be 11 teams with 4 points so all is not lost yet.

Archived