BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Arsenal Preview

Eddie

I don't know why i bother with a 200mile round drive to ewood every game, sometimes. Having said that we didn't deserve to lose 4-0.

Robinson - 8: Superb. That is why he was england's keeper.

Simpson - 7: decent defensively and made some good attacking runs, just lack of communication with Emerton.

Samba - 5: Looked very lost and like he couldn't be bothered

Nelsen - 4: IMO 100% liable for the first 2 goals.

Warnock - 6: did well for the majority.

Emerton - 8: Far and away the best player on the pitch, some inspiring runs.

Reid - 2: Why play him in CM when he just can't do it? Stops all the forward movement.

Andrews - 4: A touch to slow and i am not sure that he can ever get fast enough

MGP - 6: Needs to work on his crossing, Treacy was better.

Roberts - 7: chased everything and unlucky not to score

RSC - 7: did well and tried a few things

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rovers were poor today but Arsenal were on a different planet.

Extremely poor but Arsenal were a different class.

Sorry but they just weren´t. The only reason they might have looked a different class/planet was because of our inept performance. They have some damn good players but they did not even get out of first gear. They did not need to as we did not show up.

Arsenal passed the ball about well as usual but they barely had to break sweat. All their goals were helped by embarrassed defending by our once-feared back four.

It was not Arsenal that were a different class but instead our defence was...a different class in ineptitude.

Get Winterburn up from London and work on our defending! Not just the back four...the midfield did little to nothing to protect them either.

Surely, todays option should have seen Rovers employ Mokoena in front of the back 4 especially with our injuries. We should certainly have seen Tugay on at half time because we didnt have anything through the middle or down the flanks. Reid, I think I read somewhere, was apparently given a free holding role for the Irish and played well, in todays game he was as bad as Andrews.

And that statement alone my friend is a damning verdict on our squad strength in depth....its frightening really. :(

I think we have "strength" in numbers but in terms of quality we are certainly lacking. Our best summer signing WITHOUT A DOUBT hasnt played for one minute yet, and you are telling me his presence would have hampered us more than Andrews who has played 135 minutes out of 180 till now?

This is turning out like the season after Duffer left when we signed so many players, but other than making the squad stronger, our team regressed. Just as has happened this season.

A very uncomfortable afternoon to be a Rovers fan today, if you gift a team like Arsenal a soft goal after six minutes you're aways going to have your work cut out. We actually played quite well after that for the rest of the first half but didn't make the most of our chances and unforgiveably conceded right on the stroke of half time, effectively killing the game as a contest.

The second half was most worrying, no fire, no passion, no nothing. I'd have done something drastic at half time, three at the back, an extra striker, anything. If you're going to go down, you might as well have a right go and get beaten or five if it doesn't come off. As it turned out, we still lost four nil without even having a go!

There were some very poor individual performances today - Nelsen was dreadful and responsible for the first two goals.

Andrews and Reid were poor, Reid in particular spent virtually the whole game facing the wrong way.

I thought MGP contributed next to nothing.

It might be completely coincidental but I feel RSC has looked well below par since signng his new deal.

Generally we lacked width on both flanks and the midfielders didn't get forward to support the strikers.

I must say today watching a complete lack of creativity in the centre of midfield and a creative void on the right where Bentley used to be I couldn't help thinking the Trustees might just get what they deserve for their lack of investment in the side over the last five or six seasons.

That said, we wouldn't normally expect to beat Arsenal so tonight isn't really the right time to start pressing the panic button. The situation will be a lot clearer after we've played Fulham and Newcastle, games we would realistically expect to get something from.

We must stop conceding so many goals though. It ain't really rocket science.

not seen as gutless performance from rovers for a long long time, we been beaten badly before but since Hughes era we have never been a team that just lies down waiting to be #####... Not been this worried for rovers for a long time, iv backed ince but the next few games (performance more than result) will form my judgement, if we do fire ince we need a someone that truly adds value and brings something to the table or else we can wave goodbye to the likes of roque.. Then uptmately the top flight!

not seen as gutless performance from rovers for a long long time, we been beaten badly before but since Hughes era we have never been a team that just lies down waiting to be #####...

We did have a performance even worse than today when Hughes first took over and we got whupped 0-4 at home. (To Boro I think)

Thankfully Amoruso never saw the light of day again, Hughes laid the law down and got them fit, and things got gradually better.

And now for the reality check, both for those who went to the game and those who didnt.

Lets just say this and believe me the truth is going to be harsh. Rovers were hammered by the WORST Arsenal team to venture into Ewood Park for many a season. I love watching the Arsenal style of free flowing football, the slick one pass football, the creativity, the guile and the movement. Players such as Bergkamp, Henry, Pires, Hleb and Rosicky, not to mention the simple play of Clichy, Toure and fabregas. There have been many many more players to mention but this current team are nowhere near them.

Rovers today are a poor shadow of the team they were at home to the big teams last season. The tactics employed were non existant. We were promised the team would have a go in the media, that simply didnt happen. The team on the pitch was so ineffective it was embarassing to be a Rovers fan today. For me, I cannot recall ever the last time I walked off a good five minutes before the end of a game, but today it happened. I was truly shocked to see my beloved BRFC in such a sorry state.

Our team today does not deseve the calibre of player such as Roque Santa Cruz when we see a player such as Keith Andrews trying to play football on the same pitch. What a total embarassment for the Board, the Club, The team and its supporters.

It just seems so surreal because although Arsenal scored early doors, Rovers could and should have been at least 2-1 up if not 2-2 by half time. After that, we just simply lost all will to live, all will to play football and well, I am honestly stunned at what we had to witness on that pitch.

So, where has it all gone wrong ?

I hear the papers are picking Ince for the Newcastle job, well for me get yourself gone mate now and take your back room team and Keith Andrews as well. Especially if we are to witness that lack of effort in home games. If a player cannot raise his game for a match versus Arsenal whilst earning 20k a week then they dont deserve to wear our shirt.

No guile.

No effort.

No teamwork.

No creativity.

No defending together.

No one wanting the ball.

No-one passing.

No one wanting the ball.

No passion.

Whatever happened to the ethic that we saw at Everton ?

I dont normally do ratings but here my view today from the JW Upper.

Robinson 8 - fine saves and kept the score below 7.

Thomas 7 - thought he had a good game.

Samba 5 - poor first half improved in the second.

Nelsen 5 - poor overall.

Warnock 6 - too exposed.

Emerton 8 - lacked support.

Reid 3 - shocking.

Andrews 1 - out of his depth BIG TIME.

MGP 7 - good effort but got slapped in a tackle.

Roberts 6 - should have scored.

RSC - 6 - as above and lacked support.

So then Mr Ince, can we have an explanation as to what it was Rovers were aiming to do on that pitch ?

Could I also have an answer as to what you think makes Andrews the complete box to box midfielder ?

Could I also have an answer as to why we didnt have a midfield destroyer in front of the back 4 to quell the attacking football Arsenal so clearly play each game ?

And finally, can I have an answer as to why Rovers today made EBOUE look like he was a first class world top 3 midfielder ?

The Keith Andrews mystery is an enigma. I have seen some dodgy players at Ewood over the years but I have never seen one so much out his depth as I saw today. Yes he can run but he cant play. His tackling was 5 second too late, his passing was awful, he lacked pace and drive, he lacked nouse in fact I just dont know why he was on the pitch.

Surely, todays option should have seen Rovers employ Mokoena in front of the back 4 especially with our injuries. We should certainly have seen Tugay on at half time because we didnt have anything through the middle or down the flanks. Reid, I think I read somewhere, was apparently given a free holding role for the Irish and played well, in todays game he was as bad as Andrews.

Rovers lack depth, lack quality and lack enough nouse on the park that is going to see us struggle in the coming weeks. A long hard winter beckons and if he cannot sort out what is plain for all to see, we are looking certainties for relegation, and I mean CERTAINTIES such was this inept display. It was Arsenal I hear you say, but may I remind you this was NOT a full free flowing Arsenal team, it was an Arsenal team that simply just passed the ball to each other and destroyed Rovers lack of will to play as an opponent.

The board must clearly see there are issues in the team ethics, its that obvious. Rovers should have pulled out all the stops to sign a central midfielder, be it a loanee or big money signing. Come January, it will be too late. The likes of RSC and Warnock will not be around because who would want to be associated with such a poor team.

I dont want to hear "its early days", we only get 38 games to get it right, we have already conceded 8 goals in 2 games whilst only managing to score 1.

Something has to give otherwise, our club is dead in the water as a Premiership outfit. If we go down we stay down forever.

Now that might sound like a frustrated supporter shouting out but believe me its the bleak prospect facing BRFC in the coming 8 months.

:(:angry::(

An absolutely excellent assessment of the game and in total agreement 100%. I have never felt so naffed off at a football match in my life. Stayed to the end as per usual but if players earning more in a week than I do in a year can't be bothered, well neither can I

1864, - sounds as though many of us saw it your way. - and in all honesty, I nearly left before full time, for possibly the first time ever.

That pie looked good. Did you see Rev sniffing at it in front? :D

[one other thing - who was this Thomas guy at right back]?

We played okay for the first half but the goal just before the second half really was the killer blow. Between Warnock and Nelsen it was really poor marking for both goals and instead of shouting at each other maybe they should communicate more whilst the ball isn't actually in the back of the net. Samba was just as bad as Nelsen and Warnock in my opinion very nearly cost us a goal with a dodgy header and looked like a lost sheep at times. Simpson was the only one of the back four that can take any credit from the game in my opinion.

People have said Emerton had a brilliant game, yes he was probably our best player in the first half but still lacks the end product to be a really good RM and he dissapeared with the rest of the outfield players in the second half. The rest of the midfield were poor on the whole. Pedersen but in a few decent crosses but did little else (no change there then). Reid was absolutely awful, slowed down counter-attacks by playing it backwards and sideways be interesting to see how many balls he actually played forward in the entire game and I don't think he put one meaningful tackle in all game. Thought Andrews had a mixed game, showed some neat touches and passes but on the other hand looked clumsly when tackling and looked scared of taking a shot on and instead looked for a pass. Be a bit harsh to make him the scapegoat for this result just because he was signed from a League One club. Saying that Andrews looks nothing more than second-rate David Dunn based on today's performance. The problem for me was that both seemed to want to get forward which left us exposed at the back at times and we could have easily been caught out on a numerous occasisons in the first half on the counter by Arsenal.

Upfront Roque got involved and at least put the work-rate in, but looked very tired towards the end (suprised he wasn't taken off). Roberts did nothing of note up against two strong central defenders couldn't really use his strength and power to create anything, if only he learned or to swivel on the ball he might have got somewhere.

Subs came on a bit too late in my opinion, should have been on within the first fifteen minutes of the second half. At least Derbyshire looked like he wanted to chase and pressure the player on the ball, which wasn't evident from the other players on show.

I remember when we use to chase and pressure the big teams down here at Ewood, it got us good results in the past. But today we sat off Arsenal far too much and if you do that you're in for trouble.

The only consolation I can take from today's game is that Adebayor is in my fantasy football team.

Arsenal have never had such a free ride here at ewood in all my tines watching the blues.

The team looked sadly lacking today and not wanting to cause panic but if we finish 16th this season I'll be happy.

Andrews is just not premiership class, Reid the same, Ince seems tactically inept and things are not looking good.

Not wanting to press the panic button but we look relegation fodder, I doubt we’d have looked the same under Hughes.

Ince needs to prove his metal in the coming weeks or he’ll be out and we'll be going down.

We did have a performance even worse than today when Hughes first took over and we got whupped 0-4 at home. (To Boro I think)

Hughes laid the law down and got them fit, and things got gradually better.

Sadly, you cant see that happening with this bunch in charge.

I think we should of played a 4-5-1 aand took a draw instead of trying to attack and play a open game, I am all for attacking play, but sometimes you have to play a certain way against certain teams and today called for a hard working tight midfield unit, which we did not have

haha Den, yes the pie was excellent :P

I would ask Ozzie to do the usual pie rating but for me, I had been at work since 0600 and missed out on the bacon butty run at 0900 so the only option for me was the Meat and Spud pie !!

Didnt notice Rev however as I was too busy scoffing my face :P

Someone got to put to blame and my finger points to the manager. He failed the test badly against the best passing team in the league. No gameplan at all..

How can Ince not field a ball winner/destroyer really buffles me because I thought he played with an 'Axe' in his team. Instead the whole midfield stands off

and let Arsenal play their usual game which is suicidal to me. :o

Mokoena should have started instead of Reid which I think played poorer than Andrews.

And stop playing those offside trap now!! I feel its making our back 4 look like donkeys trying to stay on the 'line' and its causing games now.

For goodness sake just mark your markers out of the game the way Nelsen and Samba did so well before.

Our wideman actually put some useful crosses in esp the 1st half but the front man couldnt make it count which is disappointing.

Arsenal defenders aren't the tallest but still Roberts is ineffective in the air, I thought Santa doesnt look his usual self, look tired to me.

On the subs, why McCarthy? I thought Carlos is a better choice as he's more willing runner when we need to chase a game.

Derbyshire at right wing again?? Should have push him as 3 upfront. Poor decision really.

I would have accepted a lost with a good performance. But now with a week of preparation ahead of Fulham match, I expect to see a better side tactically and

most important defensively to win it. Com'on Rovers! :brfc:

A top 7 outfit that was nevertheless clearly on the decline without investment imo.

Which I'm sure Hughes knew.

Totally agree Rev. However, I would have far more confidence in Hughes sorting out this mess than Ince. Hughes was able to spend what little money he had wisely. I honestly don't think that Ince has brought in one player that has made us stronger than last season. We have far more backroom staff than under Hughes and yet the net result is a total shambles. Does anyone really believe that Andrews and Fowler are going to help us maintain a top ten place?

The most worrying aspect was that Ince seemed incapable of doing anything to change the game today. Perhaps he might have learned a little more about the game at this level if he had bothered to gain some coaching qualifications.

The next two games have become crucial and will, undoubtedly, indicate the type of season we are going to have. From what I have seen in the opening four League games I suspect we are going to be in the bottom half of the table and unless we can stem the flow of goals we will face a serious relegation battle. Financially, relegation would be a devastating blow from which the club might well not recover.

With the transfer window closed any improvement will have to come from the present squad and that means someone is going to have to get some serious work done on the training ground. Whatever changes the present management team have made to the training regime it clearly isn't working. We lack the sharpness and edge to our play that Hughes and his team gave us. Under Hughes we might not have played attractive football all the time but at least we were competitive.

Archived