BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan Away Preview 13th December

Majiball

TCO just curious did you clap the players at the end? Was the radio correct in saying that the majority of fans clapped the players at the final whistle?

I did - at least they acknowledged the fans and the great atmosphere we created despite witnessing one of the most appaling games I've seen for some time. Those who stayed did clap the players but there were also a lot of boos and everyone was also chanting "We want Incy Out". To be honest most fans had already left by then, I've never seen so many leave before the end of a game (although I don't get to many away games).

As for the game itself:

I hate going for generalisations like they were all rubbish but... they were all rubish - Warnock in particular was utterly dreadful. The only players to come out with any credit imo are Ooijer who I thought was our best player today, emerton for trying but was poor, and Dunn who showed a bit of passion and trickery but didn't have much end product.

Substitutions - Warnock needed more protection (ideally he'd have been subbed but there was no one to replace him) and I wasn't suprised to see Ince make a change on our left, as every time Wigan attacked down that flank they looked like scoring. Dunn for Peds seemed a decent substitution but then oddly Derbyshire then went out wide left and Dunn slotted in behind Rocky. I'm not sure how switching to 4-5-1 helps when we were 2-0 down, and virtually rendered Derbyshire a spectator.

Wigan looked brilliant - top class. Rovers allowed that which was unforgivable. Last year coming back from a 3-5 trouncing wasn't fun but at least there were some positives. Today there were non - maybe the fans who were great but that won't get us out of trouble. On today's performance relegation is a certainty.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Substitutions - Warnock needed more protection (ideally he'd have been subbed but there was no one to replace him) and I wasn't suprised to see Ince make a change on our left, as every time Wigan attacked down that flank they looked like scoring. Dunn for Peds seemed a decent substitution but then oddly Derbyshire then went out wide left and Dunn slotted in behind Rocky. I'm not sure how switching to 4-5-1 helps when we were 2-0 down, and virtually rendered Derbyshire a spectator.

ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF INCE USING HIS NOUSE

Wigan looked brilliant - top class. .

THAT SAYS IT ALL ABOUT ROVERS CURRENT PLIGHT

• Backroom

Been at work all day, came back, saw that scoreline, and despaired.

We're already down - I see no way back from this. JW's experiment has ruined us, and it's a shame, because it will tarnish the good legacy he had thus far built up.

Looking back through the thread I can well believe there is arguing in the dressing room. After the 1st and 2nd goal the rovers defence started arguing and shouting at each other. Certainly there was no "all in it together" kind of spirit - Robbo blaming everyone, especially Samba I think for the first, Warnock shouting at everyone inc. Peds after the second (which was a bit rich after the worst piece of defending I've seen since in quite a while) it didn't look a happy camp at all.

The reaction of the players at the end was interesting too - Robbo, Derbs, Dunn and especially Nelsen looked utterly dejected, gutted and would not have looked out of place amongst the fans. The rest looked more angry - probably as it isn't helping them get a move away from ewood.

First time I've ever seen Bramble look like an assured centre back. It's a disgrace.

Just got back. And I'm still trying to work out what I was watching. If those players are playing for Ince then I don't want to be around when they stop.

While I begun this post Ince appeared on SSN. Here's a transcript of what he said after the game:

"It's been a fantastic week... as far as err preparation and the lads' spirit, commeraderie together and erm especially after last week's performance against Liverpool we felt y'know we y'know we're actually gonna start turning the table and erm to come out and play like we did in the first half was erm y'know it was very it was dis... very disappointing and erm to concede two goals in ten minutes, ye you don't give yourself a chance.

There's been so much speculation about your own future:

Yeah, I mean you get used to that y'know get used to that and erm listen as I said it's not about me y'know it's about the players and erm y'know as the chairman says you've gotta keep ya wi... it's a results business and you've gotta win games and erm we felt we had a chance at doing that today but as I say we've got to keep believing and we've got a keep... hopefully of... going... down... look forward to Stoke now"

Has the chairman been reassuring this week? I know there was a meeting on Tuesday, it was a regular board meeting but ah he has been very supportive of you:

"Yeah he has and, and, and, and yeah, and that y'know it's great, it's different class but at the end of the day you gotta look you gotta ah accept you starting winning games and erm we got another 3 or 4 games over the Christmas period where we need to start picking up points if not then we go from there but um in the meantime we've all gotta pull together... all... and that's the most important thing"

Is the key really to get through to January and maybe to strengthen at that point; because when you came in at the start of the season you didn't have that opportunity did you?

"NO and as I've, as I've said before most managers come in and the bring 8 or 9 players in, I've had that, not had that opportunity. Ah, we've had injuries, major injuries. Still doesn't mean we should be coming here and being beaten three nil against erm... er y'know a Wigan side. Er but y'know hopefully y'know come January we'll be able to get one or two free (three?) targets, freshen up the place (players?) and go from there."

Your supporters have generally been quite supportive but one or two towards the end here were, were showing their irritation. You can understand that?

"Yeah course I can, y'know I've been in the game long enough and, y'know I've always said y'know er y'know it's important that we entertain the fans and y'know... and as I say they came in their shroves (sic) today and supported us and we've let's... we've let them down to be fair and erm yeah course their gonna voice their frustrations but y'know as I say it's a seige mentality we've gotta have now and we've gotta keep tryin' a y'know carrying on, y'know Monday, Tuesday, keep smiling and y'know believe that we can go and actually get three points at home against Stoke on Saturday."

Steve Bruce has come in and said you know he can understand where you're going through at the moment, he went through it himself at Birmingham City. He says your a fighter and your prepared to stick it out and to fight this:

"Yeah, course, yeah, y'know I've been a fighter all my life and erm y'know er that's not gonna change now and er we keep fighting and every week, every game."

This was followed by some specially selected SKY clips of fans reactions so saying he hasn't been given enough time, money, support. Hmm. Incidentally, it was then followed by an upset Phil Brown unhappy with his point at Liverpool.

Well I'll save my comments for later, and you can make your own mind up - save to say, I'm not smiling Paul.

...But then we are told the players ARE 100% behind the manager in the local papers...who the hell is kidding who here? :huh:

That's called the players' union.

How often do we hear ex-players in the media (with nothing at stake) voicing support for another ex-player doing a cack handed job as a manager?

Likewise how often have we heard current players in a struggling side coming out in support of a manager; yet as soon as their beloved manager is replaced, eagerly volunteering to the media how much more professional training is under the new man (Steve MacClaren's England boys spring immediately to mind regarding Capello)?

It's no surprise therefore to hear the likes of Nelsen rallying behind the manager. It's usually those players with a vested interest in that manager's survival who are the most vocal in their support.

On the BBC interview I think the first thing he said was "you've gotta laugh" ...

I wanted to murder him there and then.

I thought I heard that in the car on the way back, but thought I must be mistaken.

Well Mr. Ince it isn't a laughing matter. You will be gone from rovers (hopefully sooner rather than later) but we fans have got rovers for life. And watching rovers loose their premiership existance - possibly for the forseeable future - what the hell is funny about that?

In the same interview he admits that they've let the fans down today - now even for Ince that is contradictory. I cannot see how letting the fans down is a laughing matter in any repect.

• Backroom
I thought I heard that in the car on the way back, but thought I must be mistaken.

Well Mr. Ince it isn't a laughing matter. You will be gone from rovers (hopefully sooner rather than later) but we fans have got rovers for life. And watching rovers loose their premiership existance - possibly for the forseeable future - what the hell is funny about that?

In the same interview he admits that they've let the fans down today - now even for Ince that is contradictory. I cannot see how letting the fans down is a laughing matter in any repect.

It was the reporter first that said "well Paul, you've got to laugh haven't you" or something similar. Instead of agreeing, his answer should have been "NO it is not a laughing matter."

Simple things like this make it obvious he is not, at this point in time, cut out for top flight management.

He ain't going is he? We've the least reactionary board in the world of football, can we please swap JW for his counterpart at real madrid as he takes no messing.

Everything about his interviews tells me he ain't worried, why o why are we so rubbish at things off the pitch as well as on.

It was the reporter first that said "well Paul, you've got to laugh haven't you" or something similar. Instead of agreeing, his answer should have been "NO it is not a laughing matter."

Simple things like this make it obvious he is not, at this point in time, cut out for top flight management.

Er, no he didn't. He was asking Ince if he must've been wondering where all the preparations had gone in the week. Perhaps the reporter had a smirk on his face when he said it but I think you are being extremely kind in trying to defend him as being naive.

• Backroom
Er, no he didn't. He was asking Ince if he must've been wondering where all the preparations had gone in the week. Perhaps the reporter had a smirk on his face when he said it but I think you are being extremely kind in trying to defend him as being naive.

Calm down, how is my post in any way a defence of him?

I thought I remembered the reporter saying that, whatever.

He ain't going is he? We've the least reactionary board in the world of football, can we please swap JW for his counterpart at real madrid as he takes no messing.

Everything about his interviews tells me he ain't worried, why o why are we so rubbish at things off the pitch as well as on.

I'm inclided to agree. If he's still in charge for the Stoke game, then this board are not onlyl backing him now but backing him next season in the Championship.

I feel they need to be decisive about this. Barring the fact that West Brom are worse that us (just) we are rock bottom and he's still being flippant about the situation.

Due to the indecision and perseverence the board have shown so far, it's entirely plausable that the next manager is the one who will be charged with getting us back up to Prem. No mean feat to say the least.

Calm down, how is my post in any way a defence of him?

I thought I remembered the reporter saying that, whatever.

Right now, calm, I am not. No offence mate.

Aren't Real Madrid presidents voted into their position by the members? And their budgets need to be approved by the members? It would explain why Calderon does not muck about. Fancy that, Franco's club more in touch with the fans!

At the end of the season I think we will look back on todays game - and realise why we went down. Unless something is done about it immediately that's exactly what is going to happen.

Those were my thoughts after the 2nd goal went in after 12 mins. Then watching the rest of the 'performance' and Ince just standing in the same spot more or less for the whole 90 mins not looking at-all bothered or giving out any instructions etc.

I also witnessed fellow fans turning on each other in the ground, shouting abuse and turning nasty... all down to our current situation.

A sad day to be a Rovers fan.

Archived