BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Big Fat Sam's Shopping List

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you don't look at is as 50k/week, but look at it as 37k with a 2 million transfer fee paid out over 3 years, it isn't as bad.

It doesn't matter lucash is not worth that kind of money. Parity with RSC and the rest of them he doesn't have half their technical ability.

50*52*3=7.8million ROFLMAO no way, not in a million years is he worth that. Hopefully Sam knows that as well.

Hughes wouldn't give it to him then we won't give it to him now its not as if he has improved.

Funniest piece of footballing journalism I've read for ages.

Emerton was a far better right back for us than Neill ever was, if we buy a proper right winger then we can strengthen two positions with one move. I don't want Neill anywhere near the club to be honest, I hate the guy.

I agree with your logic but neither Ince or Big Sam has used the option and Hughes wasnt totally sold on the idea. Heres the possible dilemma, Neill at right back, Barton in midfield, Diouf on the wing and stay up or keep to our values as a family club and go down. :o

I agree with your logic but neither Ince or Big Sam has used the option and Hughes wasnt totally sold on the idea. Heres the possible dilemma, Neill at right back, Barton in midfield, Diouf on the wing and stay up or keep to our values as a family club and go down. :o

I think we need Bellamy to complete the set!

I agree with your logic but neither Ince or Big Sam has used the option and Hughes wasnt totally sold on the idea.

True, whilst he does an OK job there, Emerton's lack of positioning has cost us a few goals (last season in particular).

A natural right back should be on Sam's shopping list.

True, whilst he does an OK job there, Emerton's lack of positioning has cost us a few goals (last season in particular).

Agreed - he also seems weak when defending deep crosses at the far post, he's beaten in the air most of the time in that situation.

I just wish we'd give him a chance in centre midfield.

Agreed - he also seems weak when defending deep crosses at the far post, he's beaten in the air most of the time in that situation.

I just wish we'd give him a chance in centre midfield.

Me too, it's his best position. You're right about his weakness in the air, for a big guy he's a very poor header of the ball.

Lack of positioning at times because he was given an overlapping role with worked pretty well offensively with the slower Bentley. I reckon Sam could play Emerton at right back with a less attacking mentality provided he brings in a winger with a bit of pace.

We finished 7th last season so it wasn't that much of a problem.

The key areas we need to strengthen in my opinion are central midfield and the right wing position, not spending big money on a right back.

Forget Lucas Neill the guy is total rubbish and a liability on the pitch. I know i shouldn't be strongly criticising the opinion of others as they are entitled to their views but I am finding it really hard to see why anyone would want him back.

Lack of positioning at times because he was given an overlapping role with worked pretty well offensively with the slower Bentley. I reckon Sam could play Emerton at right back with a less attacking mentality provided he brings in a winger with a bit of pace.

We finished 7th last season so it wasn't that much of a problem.

The key areas we need to strengthen in my opinion are central midfield and the right wing position, not spending big money on a right back.

Forget Lucas Neill the guy is total rubbish and a liability on the pitch. I know i shouldn't be strongly criticising the opinion of others as they are entitled to their views but I am finding it really hard to see why anyone would want him back.

He's tough, reliable (on the pitch), has decent skill and stands up well against any winger. IMO better than Emerton at right back, but right now it doesn't feel like a position that needs strenghtening compared to central midfield and right wing.

Hughes obviously thought it was a problem because he was trying to sign a new right back (before he left).

That’s because he was looking to strengthen in order to push onto the next level (pushing for champions league places). With the sale of Bentley and the decline of our central midfield options we have seriously gone back a level and in my view right back should be the least of our worries.

With the limited cash to spend there are areas we need to strengthen first that are of a greater priority. Strengthen the midfield and bring a right winger in this window, next season if we have those areas sorted then look to strengthen in other areas.

He's tough, reliable (on the pitch), has decent skill and stands up well against any winger. IMO better than Emerton at right back,

Complete disagree the guy is a liability on the pitch by giving away stupid fouls in dangerous areas, giving away pens and is a hothead. IMO Emerton is a better right back.

but right now it doesn't feel like a position that needs strenghtening compared to central midfield and right wing.

That I agree with, with limited money to spend you have to prioritise certain areas first.

Me too, it's his best position.

I can't remember him ever putting a foot wrong there. He's strong and athletic, not huge on technique but big enough to disrupt and break up. He could well be the answer in there.

Right out of left field, but I've always liked him.

Riquelme

Back to his best at Boca, perhaps he sees europe as unfinished business.

Long shot I know.

Thats certainly the type or level of quality you need to be looking at to replace Tugay.

Right out of left field, but I've always liked him.

Riquelme

Back to his best at Boca, perhaps he sees europe as unfinished business.

Long shot I know.

True but if he saw Europe as unfinished business he'd go and join a top team. If he was 26 or so there'd be the option for him to use us as a stepping stone, but it would make no sense for him as a 30 year old to join a struggling unfashionable side in a poor area with poor attendances when he's back at home playing at La Bombonera with the adulation of the Boca fans and annual participation in the Copa Libertadores.

Would be great and is a shame he's back in Argentina when he has so much to give though.

True but if he saw Europe as unfinished business he'd go and join a top team. If he was 26 or so there'd be the option for him to use us as a stepping stone, but it would make no sense for him as a 30 year old to join a struggling unfashionable side in a poor area with poor attendances when he's back at home playing at La Bombonera with the adulation of the Boca fans and annual participation in the Copa Libertadores.

Would be great and is a shame he's back in Argentina when he has so much to give though.

I could see him coming back to Europe but not to England. There is nothing to suggest he would suit the English game, especially at his advanced age.

I am coming to the opinion that we will never replace Tugay really. The man is a genius, and there is literally only about five or six players out there in the world in his position who can do what he does as well or better than he does. If you look at players other Prem sides - even the top four - have in his postion you will struggle to find anyone with his ability. Michael Carrick, Mikel, Alonso, Mascherano, are all more defensively sound, and probably have better pass completion rate, but they cannot touch his sheer creative vision - except for possibly Alonso. Comparable teams to ours have rather pedestrian players who just keep the ball ticking over - Huddlestone (all potential but little delivery), Petrov, Murphy. We have already signed one of those in Grella if we can keep him fit.

However you never know who Sam will turn up, I will be the first to buy the big man a pint if he finds an entertainer anywhere near approaching the Turk's quality. Realistically we will probably look for creativity through more conventional routes - fast wingers, powerful strikers, set pieces rather than individual inspiration.

The one ray of sunshine is that in McCarthy we have an outstanding technical player, so he can potentially take up more of the creative duties further up the pitch if he keeps his resurgence of enthusiasm. He can also keep everyone in awe of sheer ability with a football - which, after all, is one of the main reasons people come to football games.

So diouf on the wing for as little as £2m. Who would you rather played there? Derbyshire, emerton??

ALAN JUDGE?

I don't want Diouf at Blackburn, right wing, up front or in the reserves.

My primary objection is that he's not very good. It seems to me that he's lost the pace that brought him attention from Liverpool and his skill is above average but nothing exceptional.

He'd be a scrappy signing, even if he was an angel. Alas, he also happens to be an idiot.

Alan Judge has pace, skill and guts - why import Spit? Makes no sense.

ALAN JUDGE?

I don't want Diouf at Blackburn, right wing, up front or in the reserves.

My primary objection is that he's not very good. It seems to me that he's lost the pace that brought him attention from Liverpool and his skill is above average but nothing exceptional.

He'd be a scrappy signing, even if he was an angel. Alas, he also happens to be an idiot.

Alan Judge has pace, skill and guts - why import Spit? Makes no sense.

So why didnt Judge show us he had these attributes last night especially against semi pros.

Last night showed his level rover6 -lower leagues.

Archived