BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wohoo Its Sunderland Again (preview)

Flopsy

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm delighted that we're through to the next round and that some of our squad players got some important game time. I saw the highlights on ITV last night and Villanueva looked like he had a good game. Mokoena's goal was a screamer, chances are that it was a miss hit and he could never do it again! With so many injuries, we will need players like Mokoena to help us up the table. Roque had two great chances and I'm looking forward to see how he celebrates whenever he does score to see what state of mind he's in. Benni's celebration was fantastic and I think that it should the good spirit within the camp and this will be crucial if we are to survive. We can now look forward to playing Coventry and trying to get one over on them after knocking us out last season. Hopefully our league position will improve, so we can enjoy a good cup run more.

to be honest villanueva still showed many of the faults that mean he has not become the regular we hoped he would. He still tries to beat too many men; he is still knocked off the ball easily; he is still far too slow and often loses possession. As several people round us last night said - it's a pity we can't just bring him on like they do in american football to take free kicks. He is a luxury we cannot afford to start with at the moment. He can, however, change games and some of his touches were superb.

Treacy was, for the 10th time Ive seen him, absolutely rubbish.

I'm afraid my opinion of Treacy hasn't changed since he made his debut against Coventry in the Cup, and under no pressure at all planted a cross smack bang into the middle of the Blackburn End.

He has no discernible skill level or talent. Some players can make up for this with boundless enthusiasm (Savage?) but conversely Treacy appears to also lack both determination and stamina.

Other than that he's fine. :rolleyes:

Couldn't make last night's game but listened on Radio Rovers and judging by most comments on here from those that attended they put a very rose tinted slant on things. According to them, it was an entertaining game in normal time, and we missed a hatful of chances with only a superhuman performance from Gordon preventing a big score for us.

I'm a big fan of Villenueva and would love to see him featuring within the sixteen on a more regular basis, and if he can find his Premiership sea legs, maybe even being signed at a reduced fee if that were possible come the end of the loan period.

Rev-It was not a bad game, we hit the post on 4 minutes, they scored with there only journey into our half in first 45 minutes, after a lucky rebound. Good finish from Healey though. We had plenty of chances, and to be fair Roberts was excellent all night. Dunn started superbly but faded, probably not match fit yet, and Givet looked a decent player too. Certainly not the worst match this season.

to be honest villanueva still showed many of the faults that mean he has not become the regular we hoped he would. He still tries to beat too many men; he is still knocked off the ball easily; he is still far too slow and often loses possession. As several people round us last night said - it's a pity we can't just bring him on like they do in american football to take free kicks. He is a luxury we cannot afford to start with at the moment. He can, however, change games and some of his touches were superb.

Hmmm Thats a thought................ I wonder what he is like from the penalty spot?

I thought it was a decent game during the normal 90 minutes - I've certainly seen far worse games this season under Ince & co. We really dominated the first half - and much of the second half - created numerous chances but didn't make the most of them. I felt we had no luck in that we hit the post and things didn't fall for us in the area whereas they scored due to a fortunate deflection that put the ball into Healy's path.

Once again Zurab showed just what an excellent professional he is. He came in and did an excellent job in defence. Givet got better as the game went on and looks like he could be a good acquisition. Nelsen was steady as usual, and Ooijer was the same when he came on. However, I really do have my doubts about Simpson at right-back. He certainly isn't going to replace Ooijer on this performance. He looked weak defending and his distribution was poor. At the moment he doesn't look the long term answer to the right-back position.

Carlos looked good on the ball and he did tackle better than of late. However, there is no way that he is a £5 million pound player. He is too easily robbed and I'm not convinced he could play in a 4-4-2 line up in the Premiership. He's not quick enough for the wing and not strong enough for the centre. There is no doubting his ability on the ball and at set pieces but for me there are still a number of weak areas in his game.

Mokoena did well as the holding player and scored a cracking goal. Once again he showed he is a useful guy to have on the bench.

I thought Dunny started off well but drifted out of the game. Obviously he is playing with an injury and we just have to hope that he can play through it. Tugay did his normal job but was hampered by an eye injury that seemed to bother him.

Treacy was just poor throughout. This was the type of performance we have become use to when watching him in the reserves. He has enormous ability but the application seems to be lacking. Olsson has looked better when playing for the reserves on the left wing.

Up front, I thought all three of the main strikers made a contribution but are still not making the most of the chances that are created. Roque should have scored. Roberts worked hard and Benni came on and got the all important goal. However, which two work best together is still open to debate. I suspect Roque and Benni will be the first choice.

Over the 120 minutes I thought we deserved to win as Sunderland didn't really get into the game until extra time.

Decent enough game last night. Points to make:

1. As much as Treacey is a hrad worker and puts a lot of effort in, his crossing and ball distribution was poor - too often gave the ball away.

2. Much better form Carlos although he is really soft and got easily shaken off - needs to work on his strength.

3. Further to that, our right side was very poor positionally and defensively last night, I could not count how often Sunderland got down the flanks and got balls in the box. Simpson was poor.

4. Gael Givet was very good. Very solid, won almost everything and looks like a cracking signing. It was like watching a more composed Stephen Warnock at left back.

Overall, the game was fair good, nice and open although i'll be happy to see the return of the first team regulars who did not feature last night.

QUOTE (boris bear @ Feb 5 2009, 08:05 )

I remember that match, it was a bitterly cold night and we equalized right at the end to go to extra time then lost on pens.

yep, I was there,with about 75 other Rovers fans on a very very cold night

Anyone got the Highlights?

Really , you don't want to see the highlights - poor game and the coldest I can ever remember at a football game ( and I don't get cold)

ok ok I know - you meant last night :P

I was there too and it was very cold. Getting back was fun. I did get to see a Snowy Owl sat in the middle of the road on the A685 though...

Hmmm...you sure that wasn't a barn owl ( they have white chests)? Because if it was a snowy owl in the north of england you should get your lottery numbers on. <_<

Hmmm...you sure that wasn't a barn owl ( they have white chests)? Because if it was a snowy owl in the north of england you should get your lottery numbers on. <_<

Yes, oh really. I didn't make a mistake, it was huge and I double checked what I'd seen at the time because I couldn't beleive my eyes.

Archived