BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Relegation Watch

Easy game this hey! All we need to do is, well not do anything and we can stay up. We lose and the teams below us, they lose as well. Still 6 points clear and now only 3 games left. A point against Pompey, and a draw in the Newcastle vs Boro game and i reckon we will be safe. That would mean, those 2 would have to win both their remaining games and i cant see that happening. Im not so sure i want Hull to win tonight, as all im interested is to see Rovers safe. It would be great to see Newcastle go down, but the more teams below us the easier it will be for us to survive. I like Hull, but if they lose tonight then they would still be 2 points i think behind us. The big game is Newcastle vs Boro, and one i will be watching closely.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They should but with matchday revenues at OT in the region of £1m why would MU etc. go for that?

because wether manu like it or not they still play in the prem and it is on the road to ruin

I dont think any of the bottom six are worthy of The Premier League. The current shower are the worst Rovers team/squad in over two decades.

But I doubt you would say that if we had Reid, Emmerton, Dunn, Santa Cruz and Roberts fit.

By the same token, the Premier League winning side would have looked threadbare had Batty been joined on the sidelines by Ripley, Sherwood, Shearer and Sutton.

• Backroom

Aye, injuries have taken their toll this season. That's not to say we don't need reinforcements, because we do, but with a fully fit squad we've got an okay team. We just severly lack depth, something most clubs outside of the top 4 (minus Villa, City, and Spurs) struggle with.

But I doubt you would say that if we had Reid, Emmerton, Dunn, Santa Cruz and Roberts fit.

By the same token, the Premier League winning side would have looked threadbare had Batty been joined on the sidelines by Ripley, Sherwood, Shearer and Sutton.

Whoah there, you're including Roberts to back up your assertion that this isn't the worst Rovers squad for 20 years? "If we had Dunn fit" is a big "if", the same for chronically-injured Satnav Cruise, and for that matter Reid. Emerton's alright, he'll run all day, but he's hardly a world beater.

It's a very thin squad, staffed with treatment room season ticket holders, never-was's, the unmotivated, the terminally-unsuitable, and an OAP (sorry Tugay).

I'd say it was a very poor squad.

Honestly I would. They're terrible. I wasn't in the country the last time we went down but the lads I go to Ewood with are adamant that the '99 side are better than the current crop.

On the way back from Stoke we were discussing the '89 team that missed out in the play offs. All agreed that Garner, Gayle, Kennedy et al would come out on top against the present day outfit.

Looking at the present team I'd say the following are day in day out Prem league players-

Robinson, just about, although I'm far from being his greatest fan.

Ooijer, just about, as a centre half.

Nelsen, just about.

Samba.

Givet.

Warnock, as a left back, midfield player he is not.

Djiof, just about.

Dunn ,if fit, that's a massive if.

Emerton, if he can regain full fitness.

Grella ,just about, if he can stay fit.

Santa Cruz, if fit.

McCarthy, if match fit.

That's it. The following would be o.k. on the bench-

Brown

Zurab

Derbyshire

Gallagher

Roberts

Carlos

Pedersen

Ollsen

Players that need to be moved on-

Simpson

Reid

Andrews

As you can see from that there's a massive group whose fitness is always in doubt ( All the centre midfield) and a massive group who are good enough to play every now and then but not regularly.

Over to you Sam, sort it out please.

As for was Simon Garner a better striker than Samba, or was Howard Gayle a better wing man than Pedersen- No contest.

Looking at the present team I'd say the following are day in day out Prem league players-

Robinson, just about, although I'm far from being his greatest fan.

Ooijer, just about, as a centre half.

Nelsen, just about.

Samba.

Givet.

Warnock, as a left back, midfield player he is not.

Djiof, just about.

Dunn ,if fit, that's a massive if.

Emerton, if he can regain full fitness.

Grella ,just about, if he can stay fit.

Santa Cruz, if fit.

McCarthy, if match fit.

Very suprised you've put Nelsen as "Just about" worthy of being a week-in week-out Premiership player, he's been solid this season.

Tonights result just confirmed Hull City in the place pot for the drop.

The candidates are

WBA

barcodes

Boro

Hull and Sunderland.

It is my opinion that everyone else is safe for this season.

Of all the teams only WBA are scoring !

• Backroom

WBA won't get out of it... one of Boro and Newcastle will definately go down, can't see it being any other way, especially as they have to play each other next week as one of their three remaining games. Hull and Sunderland seem to be begging to go down at the moment... losing 3-0 to WBA is embarressing, and Hull's run of form for the second half of the season has been abysmal.

None of these teams have 7 points in them, so we should be okay. We must ensure we reach 40 points before assuming definate safety, though. Beating Portsmouth will pretty much secure our premier league status. No idea who's going down out of the "teams" below us. I think Boro have the best chance - beat Liverpool 2-0 a few weeks ago, and can score, which is more than any of the clubs around them (bar a defensively suicidal WBA) can say. A lot of people still think Newcastle will get out of it but I've seen nothing from their team to suggest they can do it. Everything rides on the Teeside derby, and to be honest, the winner may still end up relegated if Hull pull off a win against Stoke.

WBA won't get out of it... one of Boro and Newcastle will definately go down, can't see it being any other way, especially as they have to play each other next week as one of their three remaining games. Hull and Sunderland seem to be begging to go down at the moment... losing 3-0 to WBA is embarressing, and Hull's run of form for the second half of the season has been abysmal.

None of these teams have 7 points in them, so we should be okay. We must ensure we reach 40 points before assuming definate safety, though. Beating Portsmouth will pretty much secure our premier league status. No idea who's going down out of the "teams" below us. I think Boro have the best chance - beat Liverpool 2-0 a few weeks ago, and can score, which is more than any of the clubs around them (bar a defensively suicidal WBA) can say. A lot of people still think Newcastle will get out of it but I've seen nothing from their team to suggest they can do it. Everything rides on the Teeside derby, and to be honest, the winner may still end up relegated if Hull pull off a win against Stoke.

Right now 41 is the mathematically guaranteed safe line.

After Saturday we'll know a bit more. If we beat Portsmouth to get to 40, we could still theoretically go down should everyone below us win out (unlikely as that might seem), since we'd be competing with Newcastle and Boro on Goal Differential. Again, it SEEMS unlikely, but once we hit 41 we'll be truly safe.

Alternatively, if the bottom 4 lose again, and we hit 40, we'll be at the safe line. If we tie, then it becomes a bit dicier. We'd be at 38. Should Newcastle and Boro lose, the max they could come out with would be 37, which would guarantee safety at 38. WBA maxes at 37 if they win out, 34 if they lose this weekend.

Saturday is the real decider. If we can get a point (or perferably 3) and the sides we need to lose do, then we're safe. If we don't, then we're in for some bum clenching the next week against Chelsea.

Right now 41 is the mathematically guaranteed safe line.

After Saturday we'll know a bit more. If we beat Portsmouth to get to 40, we could still theoretically go down should everyone below us win out (unlikely as that might seem), since we'd be competing with Newcastle and Boro on Goal Differential. Again, it SEEMS unlikely, but once we hit 41 we'll be truly safe.

Alternatively, if the bottom 4 lose again, and we hit 40, we'll be at the safe line. If we tie, then it becomes a bit dicier. We'd be at 38. Should Newcastle and Boro lose, the max they could come out with would be 37, which would guarantee safety at 38. WBA maxes at 37 if they win out, 34 if they lose this weekend.

Saturday is the real decider. If we can get a point (or perferably 3) and the sides we need to lose do, then we're safe. If we don't, then we're in for some bum clenching the next week against Chelsea.

I know they are both bad, but they can't both lose against each other can they?

As I said on the other thread, the key is doing no worse than either Boro or Newcastle on Saturday.

We need to (at worst) maintain that six point gap. If we can do that we could theoretically have a nightmare on the last day on goal difference but in practice the odds must be against it.

Bottom line is, we need to be positive and go out and win the Pompey game. If we do that I really can't see either Boro or the Barcodes winning their last 3 games.

It's a bit difficult to equal whatever Newcastle or Boro do when we play on Saturday and they play on Monday ! Is it like getting your retaliation in first ?

Is that right?

Whoops! :blush:

Absolutely no safe option but to win then if that's the case.

As stupid as this sounds, but im more interested in Hull and Sunderlands results. Boro and Newcastle could easily move ahead of those 2, based on their awful results recently. You could have Hull, Sunderland and West Brom going down. I still reckon 1 point against Pompey, might just keep us up, but its a BIG might.

As stupid as this sounds, but im more interested in Hull and Sunderlands results. Boro and Newcastle could easily move ahead of those 2, based on their awful results recently. You could have Hull, Sunderland and West Brom going down. I still reckon 1 point against Pompey, might just keep us up, but its a BIG might.

No its a little might! You're worrying too much, we may have enough points already. Boro and Newc will take points off each other remember. 38 will see us home.

We are 15th and with just 3 games to go, that means THREE of WBA, Boro, Newcastle, Hull and Sunderland have suddenly got to find something close to a 100% win performance to be sure to send us down (and for us not to catch any of the three clubs within two points ahead of us).

Being realistic, we are Blackburn Rovers and anything could happen...

We shouldn't really go down now - even if we don't win one of our three remaining games. I can't see Sunderland getting more than two points and I especially can't see three of Newcastle, Hull, Sunderland and Boro coming above us. We should be fine but a win on Staurday would be nice to ensure our status.

We shouldn't really go down now - even if we don't win one of our three remaining games. I can't see Sunderland getting more than two points and I especially can't see three of Newcastle, Hull, Sunderland and Boro coming above us. We should be fine but a win on Staurday would be nice to ensure our status.

I believe 37 will be enough given what crap all the bottom teams (including Rovers) are playing right now.

I think we should be looking up. So Hull to win v Stoke would be a good result, Sunderland to draw at Bolton. We are playing for £750k? a place now. Plus Hull will go down next year so there are only two other relegation places and it is easy to get to.

As for Newcastle. 0 goal's in 5, just 10 shots. It's all over.

Archived