BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Relegation Watch

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to admit though, if you're a Newcastle fan seeing that ManUre squad then they lose against Hull and you draw against Villa you're going to be far from happy.

Richard Scudamore was on the radio yesterday saying United were within their rights to do what they wanted as the rule about playing your strongest team was outdated as it predated the squad system.

Doubt he would have been quite as accomodating if it hadn't been one of the "big four" but I guess the moral of the tale for future seasons is "don't get yourselves in the bottom 3 with one game to go!"

Have to admit though, if you're a Newcastle fan seeing that ManUre squad then they lose against Hull and you draw against Villa you're going to be far from happy.

Richard Scudamore was on the radio yesterday saying United were within their rights to do what they wanted as the rule about playing your strongest team was outdated as it predated the squad system.

Doubt he would have been quite as accomodating if it hadn't been one of the "big four" but I guess the moral of the tale for future seasons is "don't get yourselves in the bottom 3 with one game to go!"

I think you've hit the nail on the head with your last comment. Bottom line is any club fighting for survival on the last day cannot complain about any teams, squads or referees because they've had 37 other games to make sure they aren't reliant on someone else beating someone else.

• Backroom

I'm looking forward to tomorrow but can you imagine how bad it would have been had we still been in danger. No sleep tonight would have been guaranteed.

Boro made 10 changes to their team for the game before their UEFA final.

The thing is, United do have a reason for fielding a weakened side. What is more important - beating Hull or Barcelona? They have the title and now they want the Champions League so it is completely understandable why they are doing it.

Newcastle can't blame United for their relegation (if that is what happens), as they have just not been good enough this season and that is why they are in the bottom three with one game to go. Newcastle have won the fewest games in the division (7 with Boro) and that is why they are in this pedicament.

When listening to Five Live this morning, one of the people on the show was saying that Newcastle wouldn't be in this mess if they had been awarded the goal last week against Fulham and said that Webb only dissalowed the goal because of what happened in the Boro game. They got a great deal of luck with the goal against Boro and if they do go down it will not be because of the referees, it will be because they are not good enough.

Their fall has been happening for a while and this proves it:

2002-03 - 3rd (69 pts)

2003-04 - 5th (56 pts)

2004-05 - 14th (44 pts)

2005-06 - 7th (58 pts)

2006-07 - 13th (43 pts)

2007-08 - 12th (43 pts)

Hull are so poor I expect even that United squad will beat them.

Then I hope the Barcodes are so poor that even a stuttering Villa beat them!

Maybe so, but the chances of them getting a draw are now far far higher. Which means Newcastle would have to win at Villa Park.

Amidst all the press wonderings about what is wrong in the north east, I spotted that Andy Carroll broke his ankle in a training ground accident with Kevin Nolan.

Just glad the gloom is all in north east England and not north east Lancashire.

I don't think this would change even if it wasn't the big four. If we were playing Hull and sent out Tugay, Mokoena, Zurab, Brown...I don't think there would be a huge fuss. With United it is far more noticeable because of the players they are actually dropping (Rooney, Ronaldo, etc.). Of course they are within their rights to do this. If they did it in January no one would care, so why should it matter if they do it in May? Every game is worth 3 points.

I don't think this would change even if it wasn't the big four. If we were playing Hull and sent out Tugay, Mokoena, Zurab, Brown...I don't think there would be a huge fuss. With United it is far more noticeable because of the players they are actually dropping (Rooney, Ronaldo, etc.). Of course they are within their rights to do this. If they did it in January no one would care, so why should it matter if they do it in May? Every game is worth 3 points.

We did and got hammered. Not a good reason to justify Man Utd fielding a weakened side. Sam did field a weakened side at Liverpool in the thought of saving players for Stoke. We got beat in both games. He got slated on the relevent threads.

By fans, not by the media. Not the same thing. Didn't hear Ferguson coming out and complaining that we had fielded a much stronger team at Old Trafford (even when you consider injuries) and that it wasn't fair.

If United lose then people can question the selection decision, although it is obviously valuable experience for some of the youngsters and they are well within their rights to do it.

By fans, not by the media. Not the same thing. Didn't hear Ferguson coming out and complaining that we had fielded a much stronger team at Old Trafford (even when you consider injuries) and that it wasn't fair.

If United lose then people can question the selection decision, although it is obviously valuable experience for some of the youngsters and they are well within their rights to do it.

They are well within their rights to do it as was Sam. Its just that rotation does not always work. It will only be justified if Utd beat Barca on Wednesday.

BTW ...... Feel sorry for the Man Ure fans of Easy Yorkshire who will have eagerly waited for this game to go and see their little heroes only to find them not playing. If Utd Youth win and send Tigers down they'll have to wait a long time to see their beloved heroes again. Shame.....not!

Guest benmaxwell

United wing 1 nil. Absolute wonder goal from Gibson...

If results stay the same. Hull are relegated and Toon are safe...

BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Boro loosing 1 nil to West Ham... Boro now need a whole bunch of games to change scores and beat West Ham 6-1...

Safe to say, Boro are relegated...

Come on Villa!

Guest benmaxwell
yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssss

We so need to sign Duff back!!! :lol: LEGEND

Archived