BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Relegation Watch

Bassong's a massive loss for Newcastle. Means they'll have to play Colocinni :D might as well just put ten men on the pitch.

Not to worry they've got the best manager ever leading them. They're sure to stay up.

(Gutted Hull & Boro didn't capitalise more on their slip up, but there's still a chance the barcodes will go down. Even if they don't another week of misery and reality will be good for them.)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sat here watching the Baggies doing something we haven't managed so far, which is to put some pressure on a top 4 side. Of course, they are matching our achievement in still losing to them.

My brother in law's family are all avid Baggies fans and, interestingly, have enjoyed this season. They like to watch good footy, and relegation holds no fears for them of 'doing a Southampton/Leeds', which our fans seem to think is the inevitable outcome of going down. They know they are a well-run yo-yo club and have no doubt they will be back up again sometime soon, hopefully stronger. Plus, they also really enjoy a good promotion year in the highly competitive Championship.

• Backroom

Alan Smith is clueless Fortune just had an open net, the liverpool man took him out and didn't touch the ball.

He claims its a good tackle cause he put him off lol

Sat here watching the Baggies doing something we haven't managed so far, which is to put some pressure on a top 4 side. Of course, they are matching our achievement in still losing to them.

You must have watched the game at Old Trafford with your eyes closed because Rovers gave United a tough time and certainly deserved a draw. Even Ferguson admitted as much.

I like West Brom, a proper football club with proper fans and if I lived in the Midlands they would be the club I would support. I know one or two Baggies fans and they are not happy with Mowbray whom they would like to see depart as quickly as possible.

Baggies as good as down now. Killer goal straight after a clear cut penalty to West Brom was turned down.

Again results going our way- we won't have the Baggies scrapping for their survival next week when we should get some highly entertaining stuff from both sides.

Forgot about Utd away.

First time I've watched Albion for a while and I'm not sure they are going down solely because of trying to play good football, having a usless back 4 seems a bigger cause to me. If they had Samba and Nelsen I don't think they'd be where they are.

and if we had rooney ,ronaldo and messi........

First time I've watched Albion for a while and I'm not sure they are going down solely because of trying to play good football, having a usless back 4 seems a bigger cause to me. If they had Samba and Nelsen I don't think they'd be where they are.

It's a good assessment. I also think if they'd had Fortune up front for the whole season instead of January onwards that they'd have more points than they do now. They dominated a few games early on in the season but just had no quality up front, Fortune looks a pretty decent player whenever I've seen him.

I read somewhere earlier today that they've got a great midfield but have been very poor in defence and attack. No doubt someone will pick the holes in that statement but there is some sense in it. In fact you could say West Brom are directly opposite to ourselves, we've been awful in midfield but performed well in both penalty boxes.

You must have watched the game at Old Trafford with your eyes closed because Rovers gave United a tough time and certainly deserved a draw. Even Ferguson admitted as much.

I like West Brom, a proper football club with proper fans and if I lived in the Midlands they would be the club I would support. I know one or two Baggies fans and they are not happy with Mowbray whom they would like to see depart as quickly as possible.

Well watching the crowd on Sky singing "there's only one Tony Mowbray" suggests your friends are in a minority. I thought he was very popular and they were all turning up next week in Tony Mowbray masks?

• Backroom

Mowbray deserves to stay on at WBA. His "style" of football has probably taken them down, but with a stronger defence and a capable striker they may have stayed up. I think they'll be back sooner rather than later.

They may have struggled and been the first team to be relegated, but I think West Brom will be promoted back to the Premier League next year. I believe they will keep some of their better players and I also believe that their brand of football will work a treat in the Championship. They have really struggled defensively this season, but a very good striker (like Kevin Phillips) will still make them a very difficult force to stop and we all know that they've done it before.

No gaurantees - its going to include West Brom, Boro then 1 of Newcastle/ Hull/ Sunderland.

Add to that Cardiff, Loser of Sheff Utd/ Dingles, Reading, Preston, Swansea (who if they continue to improve will be a force) and then you have the new club Peterborough who might cause a shock or 2 if his dad lends him some youth/ reserve team players.

Toontastic speculate about the fire sale should they go down.

Cutting the wage bill is a good thing, but who the hell would want Manboobs Viduka for example? If they go down, they're in trouble.

There are a lot of players there who would be worth a punt. They would find a lot of buyers for most of their players. And I would bet a fair chunk on a lot of them succeeding away from Newcastle. The Geodies have never had a problem with a lack of talent, just the lack of ability to shape a team.....

I would take Martins and Beye. Spiderman is a good un. Colo the clown is not a bad player. Taylor is alright apart from his diving. Nolan is okay (better than what we have anyway) etc etc.

There are a lot of players there who would be worth a punt. They would find a lot of buyers for most of their players. And I would bet a fair chunk on a lot of them succeeding away from Newcastle. The Geodies have never had a problem with a lack of talent, just the lack of ability to shape a team.....

I would take Martins and Beye. Spiderman is a good un. Colo the clown is not a bad player. Taylor is alright apart from his diving. Nolan is okay (better than what we have anyway) etc etc.

delighted you don't scout for rovers................beye maybe as the utility rb/cb. the others are just amoruso in disguise avoid and let they're wages send newcastle to league 1.

No gaurantees - its going to include West Brom, Boro then 1 of Newcastle/ Hull/ Sunderland.

Add to that Cardiff, Loser of Sheff Utd/ Dingles, Reading, Preston, Swansea (who if they continue to improve will be a force) and then you have the new club Peterborough who might cause a shock or 2 if his dad lends him some youth/ reserve team players.

Exactly what I keep telling the Boro fans I know. They seem to think that relegation will mean getting rid of some of the deadwood, bringing their younger players on a bit more and it's a breeze. we struggled enough with the talents of Dunn, Duff and Jansen so why should it be easy for anyone to escape the Championship next year?

Exactly what I keep telling the Boro fans I know. They seem to think that relegation will mean getting rid of some of the deadwood, bringing their younger players on a bit more and it's a breeze. we struggled enough with the talents of Dunn, Duff and Jansen so why should it be easy for anyone to escape the Championship next year?

I think its because the last time they went down they bounced straight back. Its more blind faith than anything.

To be fair to the championship, its getting tougher and tougher each year.

Even some of the clubs coming up from league 1 have been doing well like Swansea. And again this next time Leicester, Peterborough should both do okay too.

I don't believe all three teams who go down will come back up. I can see Boro missing out - especially after the sales of their key players, like Downing and Tuncay. I can also see Hull missing out if they go down, but I do think West Brom are well suited for that level and stand a strong chance of going back up.

I believe Ipswich will be strong next season with Keane and even Leicester may have a good season - especially with the momentum from League One and how Bristol City found their first season in the Championship is an example to all promoted teams.

• Backroom

????

Have you seen Coloccini this season? He's awful! Beye's a good shout for a utility player, 30/31 though isn't he? Taylor's alright, Nolan... no thanks. Martins, maybe. Not convinced over him, but he is young and likely to improve... plus he has pace, something we lack in abundance, and with confidence can find the net.

Archived