BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers V Portsmouth

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Santa Cruz is a great asset to the team, but in my opinion Roberts would be a greater threat to Pompey than Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz has scored just six goals this season, but is still an excellent footballer when he is in the mood. He clearly wants to leave and insists that he won't rush his injury, proving that he wants no part in our battle against relegation. Roberts is a strong, physical and hard working centre forward who could cause Pompey some major problems.

I can sense a draw for this one, but if the atmosphere is anything like the Wigan game & the players are equally fired up its a winnable game & would almost certainly make us safe for the season. I'd go with the following line-up:

Robinson

Ooijer Samba Nelsen Warnock

Diouf Tugay Grella Pedersen

McCarthy Roberts

Subs: Bunn, Mokoena, Zurab, Givet, Villanueva, Doran, Andrews (cos theres no-one else left)

If Roberts does play he's unlikely to do 90 mins so bring on Givet & shove Samba up front, unless the game happens to be already won in which case maybe bring on Mokoena & have him as an extra defensive midfielder. Shame Dunn is out as it looks like we'll have to see Andrews on when Tugay gets knackered.

Looking forward to this game & I feel quietly optimistic, even after the drubbing at City. It feels like Big Sam has more or less written off the away games & decided to get the points we need at home.

"Linvoy Primus, back from a loan spell at Charlton, is likely to figure. Peter Crouch looks set once more to start as a lone striker."

BBC WEBSITE

If Linvoy Primus is eligable to play why aren't Gally and Judge allowed to play for us? :blink:

He may not have been on a season long loan or whatever.

I can sense a draw for this one, but if the atmosphere is anything like the Wigan game & the players are equally fired up its a winnable game & would almost certainly make us safe for the season. I'd go with the following line-up:

Robinson

Ooijer Samba Nelsen Warnock

Diouf Tugay Grella Pedersen

McCarthy Roberts

Subs: Bunn, Mokoena, Zurab, Givet, Villanueva, Doran, Andrews (cos theres no-one else left)

"cos theres no-one else left"!

How's about having Andrews there since he's scored more league goals this season than Diouf, Tugay, Grella, Pedersen, Mokoena, Villanueva and Doran combined? That's more goals than all the other midfield players you've listed - starting and on the bench.

Plus Andrews doesn't think that the best method of defending our goal is to stand to one side and wave his arms, like Grella seems to!

How's about having Andrews there since he's scored more league goals this season than Diouf, Tugay, Grella, Pedersen, Mokoena, Villanueva and Doran combined? That's more goals than all the other midfield players you've listed - starting and on the bench.

That's a stupid point. Andrews has scored more than Anderson, Carrick, Mascherano and Mikel combined. Doesn't mean he's a better player.

I can't believe Dunn can't play again this season. And he has been banging on about a new contract! Christ. Midfield looks incredily week.

Team I think we should play is (it looks nutty doesn't it, but this is where we are....):

------------------Samba

--Pedersen----McCarthy------Diouf

------------Grella------Andrews

Warnock---Givet-----Nelsen---Ooijer

----------------Robinson

Alot depends on Pedersen, McCarthy and Diouf supporting Samba and getting beyond him.

If we do that who do we play up front? McCarthy on his own? I can't see him getting any change from Distin.

Well we do have a little Chilean player who's quite good on the ball and can play off the first striker.

Pompey have defensive problems with Glen Johnson and Younes Kaboul battling to recover from thigh muscle injuries, while Noe Pamarot is suspended.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blackburn (from): Robinson, Bunn, Ooijer, Khizanishvili, Nelsen, Samba, Warnock, Givet, Olsson, Villanueva, Tugay, Andrews, Diouf, Treacy, Mokoena, McCarthy, Pedersen, Grella, Doran, Blackman. Source - BBC Sport

Hopefully they dont recover - that would be a good boost to us.

Blackman also named in the squad!!

That's a stupid point. Andrews has scored more than Anderson, Carrick, Mascherano and Mikel combined. Doesn't mean he's a better player.

When you have the likes of Ronaldo, Gerrard and Lampard in your side I don't think you need to worry where your midfield goals are going to come from, non? Rovers don't exactly have that privilege. Besides I didn't realise we had anyone near the calibre of Anderson, Carrick, Mascherano and Mikel that Andrews is keeping out of our side. I certainly don't recall any of those players thinking that the best way of defending is to act like they're at a warehouse party circa 89, like Grella did against City last week.

My point is that naming Mokoena on the bench without a comment and then naming Andrews with the comment "cos theres no-one else left" is simply ridiculous. Andrews has been a far better performer than Mokoena this season for us, not least for which the goals he's scored. He therefore deserves his place on the bench simply by virtue of the fact he's far more likely to score a goal for us than the others.

Can't believe you haven't got Samba in defence to mark Crouch.

I said it earlier, and i'll say it again. Crouch isn't as good in the air than he is with the ball at his feet. Many Liverpool fans I have spoken to have said the same thing, and because most teams are worried about his aerial ability, they tend to get caught out by him when he has the ball at his feet.

Best option would be to have Nelsen marking him, he's done well with Beattie VS Stoke and has been playing well recently.

We MUST NOT LOSE this game.

Archived