BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having thought about it a bit more, considering the complete lack of decent managers around, Houllier may be an OK choice for Villa.

There could be a bit of a revolving door situation at Villa though, Houllier had a distinct dislike for the British players he inherited, offloading most and replacing them with foreigners. Given that Villa have predominantly British squad, we could see the same happen again.

Look at the nationalities of the ins-and-outs in his first 12 months:

Out: Paul Ince, David James, Jason McAteer, Rob Jones, Tony Warner, Steve Harkness, Steve McManaman

In: Sami Hyypiä, Dietmar Hamann, Stéphane Henchoz, Vladimír Šmicer, Sander Westerveld, Titi Camara, Eric Meijer, Djimi Traoré

Out: David Thompson, Phil Babb, Dominic Matteo, Steve Staunton, Brad Friedel, Stig Inge Bjørnebye

In: Markus Babbel, Nicky Barmby, Pegguy Arphexad, Grégory Vignal, Emile Heskey, Gary McAllister, Igor Bišćan, Christian Ziege

The balance was a bit better in the second window, but it's still a massive change. It wouldn't surprise me if he ships out the likes of Collins, Young, Davies, Sidwell, Reo Coker, Heskey etc and replaces them with average foreigners.

Granted they're not great players, but having a strong British contingent still counts for a lot in this league (something Spurs, Villa and Everton have in common).

There could be a bit of a revolving door situation at Villa though, Houllier had a distinct dislike for the British players he inherited, offloading most and replacing them with foreigners. Given that Villa have predominantly British squad, we could see the same happen again.

Out: Paul Ince, David James, Jason McAteer, Rob Jones, Tony Warner, Steve Harkness, Steve McManaman

In: Sami Hyypiä, Dietmar Hamann, Stéphane Henchoz, Vladimír Šmicer, Sander Westerveld, Titi Camara, Eric Meijer, Djimi Traoré

Out: David Thompson, Phil Babb, Dominic Matteo, Steve Staunton, Brad Friedel, Stig Inge Bjørnebye

In: Markus Babbel, Nicky Barmby, Pegguy Arphexad, Grégory Vignal, Emile Heskey, Gary McAllister, Igor Bišćan, Christian Ziege

The balance was a bit better in the second window, but it's still a massive change. It wouldn't surprise me if he ships out the likes of Collins, Young, Davies, Sidwell, Reo Coker, Heskey etc and replaces them with average foreigners.

Granted they're not great players, but having a strong British contingent still counts for a lot in this league (something Spurs, Villa and Everton have in common).

If so, one or two (Emile) that might get Big Sam interested. Assuming we have the small sums that might be needed.

Know where you coming from but you have to hope (if your a Villa) fan, that he's learnt from any mistakes he made at Liverpool. From his previous role, he should have a decent portfolio of players who he potentially rates, therefore may sign for Villa (of course his judgement of players may not have changed).

Not saying Houllier is the best manager ever or anything, but don't think he's as bad as some make out.

Why Houllier is right for Aston Villa

I didn't know he was so maligned. He won a treble ffs. How many managers can say that?

I think he will do a good job.

He also won the Super Cup and Charity Sheild after that, and was first manager to take Liverpool to 2nd in the EPL. It is also not to be forgotten he built a team that won the CL the season after he left and while they were doing that he was winning back to back championships with Lyon.

His sudden illness was when it all started to go south.

If he is healthy enough I think he is much better Manager then MON, Aston Villa should be estatic

I had no idea about Brian Laudrup until just now. Devastating news, he's an absolute hero of mine. My thoughts and prayers are with him. Second best player I've ever seen in the flesh after Tugay, absolutely astounding talent.

Everton have played some good football first half, in a strange style I'm not used to watching.

Keeping it on the floor and passing it.

You have set yourself up there.

They are losing! Do you want to play good football and get relegated like West Brom? Do you? DO YOU

;)

Archived