BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Confederations Cup

What about this Charlie Davies fellow American!

Bradley would definitely be worth a punt.

Haven't seen enough of Davies, but what I have seen hasn't impressed me.

We have limited quality forwards (Altidore will be great, but isn't there yet), so I wouldn't put much stock in the fact he started.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was being sarcastic. The truth is we, as viewers, cannot judge like a professional in the game can. Especially someone who has been there and done it at the top level. Watching a couple of games isn't going to give us a clue who can make it at Premier League level, there is a complete difference between International football and Premier League football. A winner at one International level may well not make it at Premier League level and vice versa, the best can do both.

True, you've got to watch them over a period of time, in different circumstances to give a more accurate evaluation. The other key point is you must have knowledge and understanding as to what level the opposition is to make as accurate as is possible assessment.

What about Charlie Davies who does he play for and is he any good.

Davies plays in Sweden for Hammarby IF. He was ridiculed his first season for being extremely fast but not being able to play football properly, he was always offside and sometimes didn't seem to understand the basics of the game. On the last day of the season he scored a hat-trick, which were his first goals for Hammarby! After that he has improved significantly, and combined his pace (which I think is up there with the best, absolute world class in that department) with scoring 16 goals in his second season. He's sought after by French and German clubs and will probably move during this transfer window. I've seen him quite a lot, and I really believe he can achieve something in those leagues. If he has what it takes to play in the PL is more uncertain, but if he proves that in one of those leagues he will probably be snatched by bigger fishes than us...

Purely going off that one game Iceman, the hard work put in by the Americans was far superior to what the Eygptians could muster.

That spirit that the Americans showed would be more than welcome down here at Ewood park. Two examples here in England of the two nations are Brad Friedel who for several years provided excellent service whereas Zaki did well for six months then he thought he was a superstar and his game dropped off.

Comparing Friedel with Zaki and watching tonights game leans you only one way Iceman, its two nil to the yanks on football.

Fair point Jal. Was just indicating that Egypt were unlucky to be knocked out after 2 impressive performances. Like i said credit where its due, and the USA did enough to progress. Good luck to the Yanks in the semi.

Dear god, I was laughing fotr the last 20 mins of the second half (after teh dempsey goal) when we were the ones advancing. There is no reason we should be considered teh second best team in that group.

Donovan and Bradley upped their games in this tournament, great to see. Though Bradley still has to get himself a bit more composed. I don't have his record on hand, but I'm trying to ecall the last NT match I watched where he didn't pick up a yellow card for a bad foul that didn't really need to be committed.

As for the question above about how many yanks could make clubs in the prem... certianly none would be huge superstars (Timmy Howard is the closest, imho), Donovan and Bradley could certainly do a job in the right situation, Bocanegra and Dempsey are solid, Oneywu probably could, now that he's learned to keep his hands off people's backs in aerial challenges so he's not giving away constant cheap free kicks, Spector has shown he's a moderately capable back in the EPL. our forwards are crap, admittedly, though as was said, Altidore may get there someday, if he can not get injured adn convince someone at Villareal to play him.

Our future growth is in the midfield, here are the ages (maybe off a year here or there) for the MFs we've played this tournament (assuming Beasley doesn't exist :) ):

Bradley - 21

Donovan - 27

Dempsey - 26

Feilhaber - 24

Kljestian - 23

Clark - 26

Then add in some kids who aren;t playing, are hurt, too young, etc

Torres - 22

Edu - 23

Adu - 20

McCarty - 22

Holden - 23

Szetela - 22

Gotta Love Torres, as they just refer to him as "Gringo" in the Mexican League. and when I say they I mean the announcers. still can't believe we turned around that goal diff. I went to the pub hoping to not be embarrassed, and left thrilled. To bad for villa's number two that he is stuck behind great american keepers on both his club and national teams. I thought Guzan played well.

also I loved the south african guys with the US flag in the crowd they had it backwards and they were prolly just rooting against egypt but its nice to get some support from the locals.

Our future growth is in the midfield, here are the ages (maybe off a year here or there) for the MFs we've played this tournament (assuming Beasley doesn't exist :) ):

Bradley - 21

Donovan - 27

Dempsey - 26

Feilhaber - 24

Kljestian - 23

Clark - 26

Then add in some kids who aren;t playing, are hurt, too young, etc

Torres - 22

Edu - 23

Adu - 20

McCarty - 22

Holden - 23

Szetela - 22

Yes, I'm excited about the midfield we are growing. That's been a big problem in the past of having no link up between the defense and forwards. Our lack of forwards can be hidden a bit if our midfield is capable. At least in the Egypt game, the passing seemed much improved over some of the recent American teams. If we could just get some forwards, we'd be a lot better off. Unfortunately Rossi chose to play for Italy instead and who can really blame him.

I've had a quick glance through the last few pages for some info on how Elrio Van Heerden has performed in this tournament but can't find much.

I'm pretty sure he's been limited to late sub appearances but haven't been able to see anything of him.

Can someone summarise his tournament for me?

cheers.

I've had a quick glance through the last few pages for some info on how Elrio Van Heerden has performed in this tournament but can't find much.

I'm pretty sure he's been limited to late sub appearances but haven't been able to see anything of him.

Can someone summarise his tournament for me?

cheers.

Might be wrong, but I don't think he's made any appearance - even as sub.

Did he not get on in the first game??

I thought he'd come on as a last minute sub????

No Maj, he didnt. He came on in the last few minutes against Poland in a friendly just before the start of the confed cup.

Anyway, semi final tonight. Should be a good game, but i think Spain will win 1-0

Is he that bad ?

He is a very good player, but with Pienaar and Modise a certain starter and 3 defensive midfielders he aint going to start. The coach is more defensive, and disappoiinting to say the least.

Spain are now pressing, and i just cant see the Yanks maintaining their lead.

Btw, the horns will be at the World Cup. Has anybody ever complained about those rattles that people swing around? Not sure which country it is, but its just as annoying.

You get the feeling that this is a game, where Spain does everything but cant score. However i just cant see Spain not scoring, and think i might put 100 pounds on an American win. What are the odds on that happening?

Archived