BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Franco Di Santo

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thats a bit worrying, only a six month loan with an option for a further 6 months if Chelsea do not recall him!!!

It is a shame it's only 6 months as it doesn't help greatly with our long term planning but it shows to an extent how much Chelsea believe in him.

If he heads back to Chelsea in 6 months while Drogba and Kalou play in the African Cup of Nations then it'll probably be because he's done well for us which we won't really be able to complain about.

I guess it was a case of 6 months or not at all so fair enough.

Cant really expect much more really. If he does phenomenally well then he'd deserve to go back. This hints that Chelsea were more reluctant to let him go than they initially were. Either way, we get a decent striker for at least half a season, a striker far superior to many we could have bought outright. Him and Kalinic with Benni and Bloberts on the side - that may well surpass many of the strikeforces we've had in this division.

Cant really expect much more really. If he does phenomenally well then he'd deserve to go back. This hints that Chelsea were more reluctant to let him go than they initially were. Either way, we get a decent striker for at least half a season, a striker far superior to many we could have bought outright. Him and Kalinic with Benni and Bloberts on the side - that may well surpass many of the strikeforces we've had in this division.

I agree with that, I say worrying in the way that should we be doing ok and Di Santo doing well, he will take some replacing!!

Excellent news. It was always on the cards but always a relief to see it official.

Once we get Kalinic I'll be a happy Rover :tu:

If we can get this elusive Tugayesque midfielder too then it'll have been an excellent Summer for us.

Still got Baros to come yet as well. ;)

Its a good move, we are bringing in a highly rated young striker with huge potential but needs games to fully develop. At Rovers he will get far more game time than he would currently at Chelsea, Sam is also a great man motivator that understands the game and could further help his development along.

He may leave in January, but if he scores plenty of goals and does well then both sides will prosper. Chelsea could be bringing back a striker that could help them with a title push and we could be in a safe position perhaps making a push for Europe thanks to his contribution to the team. If the move is successful Chelsea may well send more talented youngsters our way as well.

Keep in mind also that Di Santo will want to start making a case to be selected for the national team. A while back i read an article by Tim Vickery (South American football expert) that said that Argentina were looking for a target man style striker to link up play with Messi and Aguero. This could motivate Di Santo to up his game and make the most of the opportunity to play week in week out.

Tempted to go to the Hibs match now just to see Di Santo in action ^_^

Thankfully Di Santo will be able to get a little game time with his new team-mates before the start of the new season, against the 2 Scottish sides. Pity the same can't be said of Kalinic, who will get a brief appearance in the Dundee United game, if anything at all. Wonder if Franco will start the City game?

Thats a bit worrying, only a six month loan with an option for a further 6 months if Chelsea do not recall him!!!

Couldn't ask any more of Chelsea really....free loans don't happen much for talented players..... Does well any Chelsea could send more Talent our way!!

Franco Di Santo now becomes the first Rovers player I've ever seen in person (Although he was wearing a Chelsea jersey at the time in the Club America match). Seeing him play that day made me want him on loan even more. He still makes some youthful mistakes, but you can definitely see the talent is there. I can't wait to see him in action in a Rovers jersey.

Completely agree with BRFC1995. We are doing all of Chelsea's work, and gaining nothing long-term. Whilst they sign one quality player, and possibly regain another one back a year later with vastly more experience at the expense of another team.

The more and more i think about it, the more i don't see the sense in this deal. It would have made better sense if we could use him as a bench option. But the way Nicko makes it sound, we are going to be forced to play him all the time on Chelsea's terms regardless of if he is ready or not.

He's apparently a brillient player, we couldn't afford to buy him, we get his services for at least 6 months during which we hope his goals and assists will take us up the table and earn us lots in placement money, then he goe back. What's not to like?

And no-one can force us to play him if we don't choose to, there is simply an expectation that he will justify his selection. Given the opposition that doesn't sound too far-fetched.

We also have 1st choice on him to extend the loan if they dont NEED him back.

Im suprised anyone can see a downside to this deal for us. Sunderland have spent £6m on Frazier Campbell who isnt in the same class as this lad - that says it all!

Completely agree with BRFC1995. We are doing all of Chelsea's work, and gaining nothing long-term. Whilst they sign one quality player, and possibly regain another one back a year later with vastly more experience at the expense of another team.

The more and more i think about it, the more i don't see the sense in this deal. It would have made better sense if we could use him as a bench option. But the way Nicko makes it sound, we are going to be forced to play him all the time on Chelsea's terms regardless of if he is ready or not.

That's a downside alright, if these loans were not allowed would these players really stay at big clubs with no chance of a game? And surely by not allowing Di Santo to play against Chelsea on 24th August it gives them an unfair advantage.

Not against the signing, just against the whole rotten system that has turned the Rovers first team into a rent-an-academy for the big 4.

These loans simply help the big 4 remain dominant.

Not against the signing, just against the whole rotten system that has turned the Rovers first team into a rent-an-academy for the big 4.

If it allows us access to quality players like Di Santo or others like the abilities Vela/ Wilpshire etc then im all for it :lol:

Remember that we have not even paid a loan fee for Di Santo so all he has cost us is wages, that is a steal!

I do recall we paid about £1 million for Carlos, simply for his loan.

I would like us to sign a central midfield player and if we need to sell Warnock then so be it.

If it allows us access to quality players like Di Santo or others like the abilities Vela/ Wilpshire etc then im all for it :lol:

I'm glad your happy feeding off the scraps of the the big boys, personally I would like to see a more equitable and competitive league where finishing 7th wasn't the 'stretch' target.

Yes, Di Santo is a steal. Yes, there is an upside for us in the short term. But who wins the most out of this?

Chelsea.

I'm glad your happy feeding off the scraps of the the big boys, personally I would like to see a more equitable and competitive league where finishing 7th wasn't the 'stretch' target.

But what can we do about that?

Things have changed alot since we finished 7th.

-You have the big 4

- big money City

- Villa, Sunderland & Tottenham with Big reserves

- and Everton who are up there and always find money!!

Thats 9 very tough competitors without going into too much details.

That's a downside alright, if these loans were not allowed would these players really stay at big clubs with no chance of a game? And surely by not allowing Di Santo to play against Chelsea on 24th August it gives them an unfair advantage.

Talking rubbish mate for all the reasons mentioned, plus you have a short memory, we got bentley on loan when everyone said we are just giving him experience before to returns to Arsenal, but he liked it with us and signed permanently, this could well happen here Chelsea have Anelka, Drogba, Kalou & sturridge and whoever Carlo signs

We could in fact sign him and sell him for millions in a few years time

Archived