BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Hoilett

Guest benmaxwell

This is as bonkers as the criticism that Rovers did not sign Dunn to a long term when he was in his wheel chair.

Twelve weeks ago, Junior did not have a UK Work Permit.

Obviously I desperately hope Sam strikes an agreement whilst he is in Canada but if we lose Hoilett it will be because of Britain's ridiculously over-restrictive immigration rules.

Well, sorry but I just think it seems slack that we didn't have the contract ready for him to sign as soon as we got the work permit. If we lose him it will be a travesty.

From a football point of view he should be getting more game time anyway. I like Sam, he's doing a good job but he puts too much faith in Diouf, Diouf was our worst player on Sunday.

I'm sure if Hoillet was getting more game time, even as a sub, he would be signing the contract like a shot. Let's hope he does.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a contract ready- in fact there would have been no work permit without Rovers producing one.

As for the new extended contract, both sides agreed to see how Junior adjusted to life in England before committing and no doubt the draft contract will have been tweaked a fair bit.

But it just goes to show how much power players (and players' advisors/Dads) have these days relative to the clubs if they are any good.

With regards to playing time, I am pretty confident Sam has a comprehensive development plan for Junior to optimise his chances of masking it at the very highest level. The next 15 years are more important than getting the odd 15 minutes just now. And he does have three senior pros- Diouf, Bert and MGP whom he has to displace on merit.

There was a contract ready- in fact there would have been no work permit without Rovers producing one.

As for the new extended contract, both sides agreed to see how Junior adjusted to life in England before committing and no doubt the draft contract will have been tweaked a fair bit.

But it just goes to show how much power players (and players' advisors/Dads) have these days relative to the clubs if they are any good.

With regards to playing time, I am pretty confident Sam has a comprehensive development plan for Junior to optimise his chances of masking it at the very highest level. The next 15 years are more important than getting the odd 15 minutes just now. And he does have three senior pros- Diouf, Bert and MGP whom he has to displace on merit.

I know there was a contract ready at the time but I never understood why we were going to "wait and see" how he adjusted to life in England. It was clear he was special back then.

It's a shame the agents and dads have so much power but it's hard to see past the idea that it will be a massive disappointment if we lose him because we didn't get him tied up quickly. Still, he might sign a new contract anyway.

With regards to there being three senior pro's ahead of him I would say they aren't ahead of him on merit. Bert has been crocked and Diouf and MGP are very mediocre.

Bert HAS been crocked.....but isnt now and has massive/ vital prem experience.

Diouf WAS key to us staying up....and is much better than some give him credit for...he is one of only a few players who can hold the ball and link up play.

MGP - Big experience...did very well in the derby and has looked slightly better this season.

3 very experienced prem players - whilst I agree Junior has massive talent...it takes time to break into a team. He would be getting more chances had we been playing 4-4-2 but we have Dunn to blame for that by making 'the hole' his own position.

This is obviously a pretty major issue.

Hoilett is as good as any prospect at his age, so Rovers don't want to lose him.

However the lad's camp is in a strong position because of his contract position. You can't blame the club for that because it was how the deal was set up in the first place when no-one was sure [a] if he would be allowed to stay and was good enough.

I think a bit of game time in the next few weeks would help as much as any financial package.

However it is also certain that there are teams in Germany who think they can sneak him onto a pre-contract in January which is a disaster on a playing level and financially too.

• Backroom

This all sounds a bit worrying losing him for next to nothing would be a travesty but a very possible scenario right now.

All it takes is one of the bigger clubs to see a bit of potential and have a word in his ear and he's gone.

Fingers crossed Sam can convince them this is the right place for him

I'm with Nicko here, game time is our ace card. I know we're in reasonable form, but Gamst for one hasn't done enough to keep him out of the side. Lets get the Chelsea game out of the way (it's obvious Sam won't start him for this one), start him against Posh and then give him a run of games in the side.

It's imperative that we keep him.

Junior is better than Diouf right now. Get him in the team Sam, or at least 20mins a game as a sub.

I agree with you there. Diouf can hold a ball up but offers no real threat. His pace has all gone.

We stand a much better chance of keeping Hoillet if we give him game time.

I'm now a bit worried about the lad. He's spent the last two years playing first team football in Germany and now he barely gets on the pitch. I hope we can tie him down and he doesn't think the grass is greener.

But he needs more pitch time because if he's not playing regularly ( even just 10 or so at the end) I have a horrible feeling he'll leave to get it. I'd ask myself whether Hoillet is happy being held back and protected or whether he feels ready to contribute. In all honesty I'd be playing him off the bench most games as he's always looked likely to create something.

Sam is not afraid to chuck younger players in- look at Nzonzi. I would say Sam has a clear game plan for Hoilett and there is no way he would have jetted off to Canada if he hadn't.

Fortunately, Junior is attracting German interest- by and large they do not have the money to trouble a really determined Prem club. However, this episode is undoubtedly driving up the cost of Hoilett and is another hole in the already holed wages budget.

Rather that hole than no Hoilett.

Very worried we are going to lose a player with some serious potential. Personally i think he should be starting games now in place of Diouf or Pedersen, if not then he should be getting some gametime off the bench.

I wonder if we are unable to offer a good enough deal because of the wage budget being so stretched? I think most fans would be furious if the signing of Salgado meant that we ended up losing one of our best prospects for some time.

But we're the paupers of the premiership.

David though is barely getting on at all with both Emerton and Diouf in front of him for Right wing. Sam's plan for David will only work if David is on board with it, I assume since he's entertaining offers that perhaps David isn't entirely happy with the plan. Will he get on against United or Chelski??? I'm not too hopeful as I expect Sam to play experienced players as always.

I think Sam's gonna have to start playing him in cameo's or he will walk, he wants to play and will feel that premiership reserves is not where he wants to be after two years of first team football in germany.

Would be surprised if he leaves.

Also surprised some on here seem to rate him so highly based on two cup games and a cameo against West Ham. As someone else said the kid needs to displace people ahead of him on merit.

Sam has done nothing to suggest that he isn't in his plans, he's a regular on the sub's bench (not a great position I know but he is still young)and has stepped of it a few times.

The lad needs to keep his head and show us some loyalty, things will come together for him I am sure, I'm also sure that when it does he will still be a Rover!!! :rover:

Kind of a no win situation, don't play him and he gets frustrated and is less likely to sign, play him and everyone sees how well he does against big EPL teams and poach him. This needs all of Sam's persuasive powers to get the signature then let everyone see just how good he is in the first team. Resale price goes up, the boy plays, he can leave whenever he wants, everyone's happy.

He's a great prospect I just hope we can tie him down to a deal before January. He's on the fringes of the team and it only takes an injury/loss of form to someone and he could be a regular in the starting lineup.

Losing him for next to nothing or even free would be heartbreaking. I don't think he'll be that keen to leave as long as we offer him a decent deal and assurances about his future, he has been with us since he was 13 so obviously has some loyalty towards the club.

He's a great prospect I just hope we can tie him down to a deal before January. He's on the fringes of the team and it only takes an injury/loss of form to someone and he could be a regular in the starting lineup.

Losing him for next to nothing or even free would be heartbreaking. I don't think he'll be that keen to leave as long as we offer him a decent deal and assurances about his future, he has been with us since he was 13 so obviously has some loyalty towards the club.

The only loyalty modern day players have is to their wallet.

The only loyalty modern day players have is to their wallet.

I don't disagree with you but he has been with us for 6 or 7 years so that does show at least some loyalty. I guess you could say though it was only really last year that he started making an impact in German football so other clubs wouldn't have been particularly interested. Let's hope his head doesn't get turned.

The problem with him possibly seeing out his contract though is that clubs will be happier to offer him a higher wage since there is no fee involved. (Although due to his age I'm not sure if some kind of nominal fee is mandatory even if he is out of contract.) I'm not even sure what would be deemed as an acceptable wage for him given his age and lack of playing time up until the last year or so. Daniel Sturridge for example who had barely played half a season held out for reportedly 50k or more according to some sources when he went to Chelsea due to his potential and lack of a fee.

Given our current financial situation I can't see us offering much more than 15-20k because quite simply he hasn't done enough YET to prove he warrants it, if someone else is prepared to offer him mega bucks then it could be a very sad day.

Come on Junior, the club fought hard to get you over here with a work permit, now let's see you push on for a first team starting place and get the deal that you deserve. If he went to Germany I'd be disappointed but if he ended up at an English club and succeeded I'd be devestated!

I don't think we should be getting carried away by all this just yet.

Of course good sides are going to sniff around top talent. But the lad seems pretty switched on. Certainly i've never heard anything to suggest he's a 'Big Time Charlie'. I'm sure Sam's visit is legitimate but i doubt its been undertaken in haste or panic. Probably just a way of reminding Junior's family that their lad is in good hands. Even if there is a sense of urgency then Mr Hoilett Snr will have to be extremely determined to stick to his guns as our Sam strikes me as the sort who can be very persuasive. Not to mention the size of the man. I wouldn't mind betting he'll be signed up on a 3-4 year deal in the next few weeks.

Also the lad needs to understand first team football at Ewood will give him the platform to show his undoubted talents. We probably all accept a move will happen at some stage, and with some good form under his belt his value will increase 10 fold. The extra profile will open more doors and also may well supply a hefty signing on fee for the lad.

Archived