BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Hoilett

Guest benmaxwell

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting to note that when he came this season at the start Sam was praised for including such a bright young talent with great potential in his squad. Now it looks like he's leaving it's a case of he's not proven, it doesn't matter that he's leaving.

I'd be very disappointed to loose him for several reasons.

Firstly you don't invest this much time and effort into someone if they don't have something. He's obviously got a lot of potential. And having players like that is good for any club.

Secondly, can we really afford to loose free/cheap talent? Di Santo for example is being quoted at 7 million. Now granted, he's a fair bit more developed then Holliet, but far from the finished article. This leads to two points. How much would it cost to get a wide player of Holliets ilk? A few million at the least I'd guess. Also if we're trying to save up for the likes of Di Santo, we need to be saving money wherever possible, and having to replace Holliet however much it costs, takes money away from signing Di Santo.

Thirdly - he's a winger with pace and guile. Our wingers, even when on form, have little of either quality. And my word they have not been on form all that much this season. It's hardly like the lad is trying to break in at cb past Givet, Nelsen and Samba, with Zurab to come back & Chimbonda to play there as well is it. He's got to get past an underperforming Diouf and Peds.

People talk about his inability in defence but tbh in the 4--2-3-1 as one of the 3 is he really going to do all that much defending. With the likes of N'Zonzi, Grella and Emerton behind him, and out wide either Jacobsen or CHimbonda behind him, is it really going to unbalance the team having someone a bit less defensively minded on the right.

I do realise he still needs to develop and has a fair way to go, but he seems to be starting from a much better position than many other youth players. I think we really should persevere with this guy and make every effort to keep him.

It's interesting to note that when he came this season at the start Sam was praised for including such a bright young talent with great potential in his squad. Now it looks like he's leaving it's a case of he's not proven, it doesn't matter that he's leaving.

Firstly you don't invest this much time and effort into someone if they don't have something.

Thirdly - he's a winger with pace and guile. Our wingers, even when on form, have little of either quality.

I do realise he still needs to develop and has a fair way to go, but he seems to be starting from a much better position than many other youth players. I think we really should persevere with this guy and make every effort to keep him.

If it didnt matter - we wouldnt offer him a much improved contract.

We are trying to keep him - but we cant force him. He has been offered a very tasty contract but seems to of had his head turned.

And iv highlighted one of the problems - he see's himself as a striker, not a winger!

My avatar? Why?

Also what 'names' are you referring to Majiball?

Truth is Tris and I have enjoyed a few beers and exchanges of views in the past. Not many granted but enough to know that any differences of opinion will be just that and nothing more. I haven't seen him since Allardyce came to find out his reasons for his strong 'anti' stance. There will be some and no doubt they will have an amount of validity but I'm not sure what any better alternative would be and I don't think he will be either.

Firstly thank you for finally doing me the curtsy of placing a capital letter in my name.

I'm sure you've had many a fine time with Tris as have I. The reason I wrote what I did is for me fairly obvious, your comment was certainly not one of differing opinions.

You imply that what ever Tris says should not be trusted as he's out to convince all that Sam's not the man for the job. You then imply as well that he will twist the story to suit his view point.

Now as far as I'm concerned thats bang out of order, you have questioned his character, integrity and honesty all in one paragraph for no reason other than there was an opportunity to belittle, blemish or ridicule someone. There was no need

for you to say what you did.

I suggested the avatar change because a teddy bear holding a blade behind his back is quite an apt picture of the words you choose. Perhaps I should have suggested a name change Thenotroll would be fitting.

Firstly thank you for finally doing me the curtsy of placing a capital letter in my name.

I'm sure you've had many a fine time with Tris as have I. The reason I wrote what I did is for me fairly obvious, your comment was certainly not one of differing opinions.

You imply that what ever Tris says should not be trusted as he's out to convince all that Sam's not the man for the job. You then imply as well that he will twist the story to suit his view point.

Now as far as I'm concerned thats bang out of order, you have questioned his character, integrity and honesty all in one paragraph for no reason other than there was an opportunity to belittle, blemish or ridicule someone. There was no need

for you to say what you did.

I suggested the avatar change because a teddy bear holding a blade behind his back is quite an apt picture of the words you choose. Perhaps I should have suggested a name change Thenotroll would be fitting.

Thats an absolute load of trumped up bollux and I suspect you well know it.

btw You say I put a capital letter in front of yours and yet you @#/?ise mine. <_< In reallity I don't give a flying (Please don't use that word again) waht you do with my name / avatar etc but you really should stop digging.

The only thing I would say is Tris does put the importance of his opinion up there somewhere alongside Jesus Christ and Lorenzo Amoruso.

And it appears that majiball sorry Majiball also places Tris right up there too.

No doubt Tris put a word in for him this summer with the powers that be at Ewood. ;)

btw Majiball did the registrar remember to put a capital at the beginning of Majiball on your birth certificate? :rolleyes:

If its bollux I wouldn't have written it.

The fact you haven't made a bigger deal of it just convinces me I'm right, you love putting people down at any opportunity.

Practice what you preach.

I do. Whatever regard I hold Tris or anybody else in does not mean that I have to slavishly agree with them. I try to formulate my own opinion and be my own man. You should try it sometime. ;)

And it appears that majiball sorry Majiball also places Tris right up there too.

No doubt Tris put a word in for him this summer with the powers that be at Ewood. ;)

btw Majiball did the registrar remember to put a capital at the beginning of Majiball on your birth certificate? :rolleyes:

I do. Whatever regard I hold Tris or anybody else in does not mean that I have to slavishly agree with them. I try to formulate my own opinion and be my own man. You should try it sometime. ;)

YAWN.

There is no point keeping an unhappy player and one who has already made up his mind to leave whether it is a David Bentley or an unproven reserve.

Let him go and forget him.

:rover: well whats your excuse for lardarse keeping santa :wacko::brfcsmilie:

The only thing I would say is Tris does put the importance of his opinion up there somewhere alongside Jesus Christ and Lorenzo Amoruso.

Even Tris isn't daft enough to consider his opinion as important as Michel Salgado's.

Off course the registrar did, some people still understand and embrace etiquette and politeness.

No-ones saying you have to agree but you were not debating you where insulting for the sake of it, opportunism.

As always you try to distract from the point in question your inability to be civil to people.

I think its fairly evident that I have my own opinion, if you like I could enrol you on a analytical reading course which may help you with your obvious deficiency in this area?

Everyone values their own opinion in general above others, just look at this board it thrives for that very reason, but that doesn't mean you insult them for it or belittle them.

I'm sure there will now be some witty reply insulting me and skipping over your comments and insinuations, however you may have to wait a while for mine as I'm off down the golf course!

Oh I'm sorry, must be in the wrong place, thought we were discussing David Hoilett here, didn't realise it was the posters-abusing-each-other-over their-usernames forum, I'll be off then...

[closes door walks down corridor, opens another door]

Hello, I'm here to discuss David Hoilett.

[Other poster] No you're not, you're here for an argument.

[Me] No I'm not

[Other poster] Yes you are

[Me] No I'm not

[Me] No I'm not

etc.

Hoilett is under no obligation to the club, other than the terms of his existing contract. Whether he's leaving due to money, or the style of football being played, or his lack of first team chances, it doesn't matter. If he wants to leave, that's his option. I personally think he's making a mistake, but its his mistake to make.

Assuming he's dead set on going, is it likely that we could sell him, even if only cheaply, in January? If he's truly gone, I'd like to get something of value out of him, if possible.

• 2 weeks later...

He played well against Chelsea, except for a mistake or two. If he gets more game time, is it likely he would re-consider staying? We have six EPL games this December, starting with Liverpool this weekend, and another six in January (4 EPL games and two cup games against AV). He could get a lot of game time, very quickly, if he signed the dotted line. And as an added bonus, Blackburn is three games away from qualifying for Europe (assuming we win the League Cup).

Lacks composure when through on goal....he's not been watching Roberts had he? :blink:

Seriously still a very raw player and the boy is being mis-guided if he leaves us to join some German side. 12 months on the bench and getting the odd 45 mins will help bring him on and then he would be a very good player.

The epitome of an inconsistent youngster. Quick, tricky, often makes the wrong decisions, at times awful finishing, then redeemed it with a cracking penalty as final taker in the shootout. A short cameo of everything that's good and bad about the lad's play at the moment. Big call (for him and us) whether he'll benefit from longer at Rovers where I can't see him being other than an regular impact sub for a while.

Archived