BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Hoilett

Guest benmaxwell

We have worked very hard to get this young lad playing for us in this country. Brought him up nurtured his talent since he was young.

People talk about loyalty in football and i believe Hoilett owes us far more than any Santa Cruz type does. We have given him the platform to show his ability whilst helping him become the player he is today and it very much feels like he is throwing it right back in the face of the club.

There may be things going on behind the scenes and if so i shall change my mind but right now I am extremely unhappy with him. And i have to say it strikes me as the most foolish decision ever should he choose to leave and go back to Germany. He will be playing in our first team regularly in a year no doubt. In the best league in the world, with top class training facilities, coaches and managerial set up.

Should he decide he wanted to leave in the future I'm sure the club would not stand in his way should another club stump up the necessary ££.

Lose Hoilett and we have lost possibly one of most exciting prospects in years and from a business side potentially one of our most valuable assets which is an absolutely travesty for a club of our stature.

Very annoyed

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could he potentially fail to get a work permit again though if he is to stay in this country? As I understand it you have to apply for a new one with each new job.

I guess he is going to wait till January and see which teams come in for him. If someone like Bayern want to sign him, he's probably not going to stay here unfortunately.

If he goes to Bayern, I don't expect we can have too many complaints (accepting the lack of any loyalty in football).

If he goes to a similar level club because he is offered more money, that would be difficult to swallow.

Good point you make though about another UK work permit. It probably wouldn't look good since I expect he'll have had to have made certain declarations to obtain this one.

Is this a youngster being arrogant and/or greedy? Or something else?

He's been got at I'm sure. We brought that little git over from Canada about 5 years ago. He and his parents will have profited well from us yet their appears to be no indication of any gratitude whatsoever.

Different times of course but we've had this before with Franz Carr and his greedy, grabbing, interfering bloody Dad who took him to Forest as soon as possible without him even playing for the 1st team. Cloughie booted him out and when interviewed said 'I don't care where the hell he goes.... in fact Franz Carr can turn out for Nottingham Pork Butchers on Sunday morning as long as he takes his bloody Dad with him.'

On the bright side he was bloody crap against Peterboro.

Is this a youngster being arrogant and/or greedy? Or something else?

I don't know why he has not signed. I have to say the offer is very good.

Perhaps it is for football reasons, only time will tell on that one.

Hopefully he realises that he may not get a better deal - or chance - than this.

Don't rule out that he prefers living in Germany. Could be as simple as that for a kid his age.

The only three reasons for wanting to live in Germany are bratwurst, beer, and the trains running on time.

As a wannabe professional footballer, he shouldn't be anywhere near the first two, or be remotely bothered about the third!

As I've posted on the Benni Mac thread (and as Nicko has hinted just above), it's no mystery why he would want to get away from Rovers at this time.

As someone who's moved around a lot over the past 17 years, sometimes there is just a feeling of comfort in a place that is hard to explain.

Could just be having a fan base that doesn't always bitch and moan!

He's been got at I'm sure. We brought that little git over from Canada about 5 years ago. He and his parents will have profited well from us yet their appears to be no indication of any gratitude whatsoever.

Different times of course but we've had this before with Franz Carr and his greedy, grabbing, interfering bloody Dad who took him to Forest as soon as possible without him even playing for the 1st team. Cloughie booted him out and when interviewed said 'I don't care where the hell he goes.... in fact Franz Carr can turn out for Nottingham Pork Butchers on Sunday morning as long as he takes his bloody Dad with him.'

On the bright side he was bloody crap against Peterboro.

Clough approached Frannie Carr before he was 16 but after he had signed forms with us -he had seen him play in a tournament for players of his age.

However, he did his 2 years apprenticeship with us when he turned down a pro contract and signed for Forest-I'm sure he played a number of times for them in the 1st Division.

He got bad advice from his dad.

Carr was going to be the new Garrincha according to some observers but he never "trained on" as they say in racing parlance. His dad wouldn't be the first parent to have lofty ambitions for their offspring or the first to over-estimate their talent.

I am truly livid about this.

I hope he at least has the decency to give his justification of the decision he has come to, to the fans.

I really would love to know as if he moves to a second rate German team it seems like one of the most foolish decisions I have heard in a very long time.

It's a p!ss poor decision by the boy. It's also a p!ss poor bit of business by us, why on earth didn't we make a new contract a condition of getting a work permit for him.

Junior has awesome talent but talent needs nurturing and directing or else it will be wasted. 'Learning your trade' sounds naff in today's age of instant everything but for a young footballer it's absolutely vital. Unless he's off to the ManU or Arsenal academy then Junior is about to squirt his future up the wall.

At the end of the day whilst we play the way we do we're going to have to accept that some players will not play that way.

Junior has hardly been getting on the pitch and if I'm being honest I thought he would especially on the right in our 451. He's spent the last two years playing in the 1st 11 and regardless of the level its what all footballers want, to play.

I can't say I agree with his choice but I can understand it. I wonder whether he would re-consider if he was to get a few more opportunities, which will only come if Sam thinks he can be persuaded to stay.

As a fan though I'm fuming he's looking to walk with I assume a tribunal deciding the fee, if we even get one. From the age of 14, we spotted him gave him a home and brought him through the academy, his loan to Germany was all about him getting a permit here and was a necessity. At the end of the day I believe he owes our club some loyalty, we could not have done anything differently given the situation, so for this to occur is very disappointing. For me I'd play him a bit in our next fixtures giving him a good guilt trip in the process. Tell him the contracts still on the table and wait and see what happens. I would hope that if he was playing then he might be persuaded to sign. But the part that really nark's me is that I'm sure him signing a new contract with us would have been part of his permit case. So I'm going to assume he's gone back on his word. So I'd do my best to show him I am a man of my word and see what happens.

However if he was to sign for another team in Jan, Firstly I'd want him gone then so at least we get some money back for this turncoat and if we can't I'd banish him to the youth and let him rot for 6 months, I might even go as far as making him train on his own.

Ruthless is a word that I definitely associate with the game of football and thats exactly what Hoillet is being. This summer could turn out to be a serious headache at the rate we have players wanting out and with some of them due to have contracts expire. Imagine if Pedersen and Reid and Dunn and Hoillet all decide to leave, two of them most probably will and if Reid isn't up to it any more so will he. How we are going to fill those holes with a £0.00 transfer budget I don't know. Start adding in the ones under contract IE Benni and Roberts then we could need a serious amount of players before we even think about strengthening and with next to no transfer income, we could be forced to sell one of our bigger players to allow us to re-build.

Ruthless is a word that I definitely associate with the game of football and thats exactly what Hoillet is being. This summer could turn out to be a serious headache at the rate we have players wanting out and with some of them due to have contracts expire. Imagine if Pedersen and Reid and Dunn and Hoillet all decide to leave, two of them most probably will and if Reid isn't up to it any more so will he. How we are going to fill those holes with a £0.00 transfer budget I don't know. Start adding in the ones under contract IE Benni and Roberts then we could need a serious amount of players before we even think about strengthening and with next to no transfer income, we could be forced to sell one of our bigger players to allow us to re-build.

I agree it won't be easy if we lose too many players - but if you think back to his Bolton days - Sam doesn't pay a lot of big transfer fees - he pays big wages to attract out of contract players. So we probably need to be looking at the reduction in the wage bill - as much as any transfer funds generated. I just hope that this is just posturing by his Dad to get the best deal for his son - which I can understand to an extent. However - they should both show some loyality to Rovers - but that seems to be in short supply in football.

It's pretty obvious he's been tapped up - but by who?

Some German team is most likely....but I wouldn't rule out the manager who brought him to Ewood in the first place either.

City have a habit of paying cheaply (or compensation) for young prospects - Mica Richards (Oldham), Sturridge (Coventry), SWP (Forest), Michael Johnson (Everton) all started careers elsewhere - not that you would hear that

I agree it won't be easy if we lose too many players - but if you think back to his Bolton days - Sam doesn't pay a lot of big transfer fees - he pays big wages to attract out of contract players. So we probably need to be looking at the reduction in the wage bill - as much as any transfer funds generated. I just hope that this is just posturing by his Dad to get the best deal for his son - which I can understand to an extent. However - they should both show some loyality to Rovers - but that seems to be in short supply in football.

True but will JW pay them? We had our first toe in the water this summer with Salgado, which to date has not gone that well. When does the new sky deal kick in and do we get more money????

Rovers will have invested a small fortune in Junior to date, arriving at 14 I'm sure the club will have been paying for everything for him practically since that date. I wonder if his parents/parent were over here living with him with us footing the bill? I'm sure it won't have been a cheap bill to date for him.

All I can say is that he obviously comes from a french Canadian region.

Not aiming that comment at any one of our players really, just meant that we might have to part with one of our big names.

If we lose a lot of players to bosmans and with 5 million still needing to come off the wage bill it could become nessacery to fill all the gaps.

Wellmajiball there's only Samba that a. Would bring much revenue in and b. we would have much difficulty in replacing imo.

Archived