BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Hoilett

Guest benmaxwell

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see him as more of a wide player than a striker if I'm being honest. I think we saw what role Sam has in mind for him on Tuesday and I really think it may grow to suit him quite well.

To be fair he moved around a bit. Started on the right, finished through the middle. He is going to be like Diouf I think - either a very attacking right winger or a 'second striker' playing off a target man.

Maybe he will strike up a productive partnership with Kalanic? That would set us up for years....

Until we get a real look at his finishing ability I'm reserved over him playing as a striker. His record at St pauli wasn't great but I believe he played mainly right wing there.

Took his goal well the other night, so you never know.

Maybe him and Kalanic eventually but at present they are both a bit light to be playing together. Send em both down the gym and make them eating 50 eggs a day or so they'll bulk up quickly. And defenders certainly won't man mark them on the pitch.

The really important thing is for the club to get him to sign a new contract. It would be so disappointing if he was away at the end of this season. I would love to know whether he's interested in a new deal. I suspect rovers must have offered him one, so why isn't it signed?

The really important thing is for the club to get him to sign a new contract. It would be so disappointing if he was away at the end of this season. I would love to know whether he's interested in a new deal. I suspect rovers must have offered him one, so why isn't it signed?

Thats my worry too - Hopefully he bangs a few in soon, and Sam will then no doubt pursue the new deal.

I see him as more of a wide player than a striker if I'm being honest. I think we saw what role Sam has in mind for him on Tuesday and I really think it may grow to suit him quite well.

I definitely agree, he looks more of a winger who would really fit well in a 4-5-1 formation where the wingers are pushed forward. He has pace to burn, a bit of trickery and looks to have a good end product as well. Over recent seasons I've become used to youngsters getting a big hype and failing almost spectacularly to make an impact, but this guy looks pretty handy. I hope he makes the grade.

Hoillet is our Defoe

I hate it when players do this. So now some fans will expect defoe like performances from the lad. We should be trying to keep him out of the papers and focusing on his development not making his head swell.

Dunny stop opening your mouth and letting it run, please. First we're going to kick City off the park, now hoillet is as good as defoe. Whats next Kalninic is better than Shearer??? Stick to talking on the pitch Dunny and stop heaping pressure on young shoulders, he's got enough to focus on.

Hoillet is our Defoe

I hate it when players do this. So now some fans will expect defoe like performances from the lad. We should be trying to keep him out of the papers and focusing on his development not making his head swell.

Dunny stop opening your mouth and letting it run, please. First we're going to kick City off the park, now hoillet is as good as defoe. Whats next Kalninic is better than Shearer??? Stick to talking on the pitch Dunny and stop heaping pressure on young shoulders, he's got enough to focus on.

Extremely poor finishing on saturday from junior, could have had an hatrick, did he get one on target, definite lower league class for me.

• Backroom

Absolute madness JAL, he is definite premier league quality, he was really unlucky with 2 chances and scuffed one under pressure.

Rob Green was bearing down on him for the chip and it was almsot measured to perfection.

Absolute madness JAL, he is definite premier league quality, he was really unlucky with 2 chances and scuffed one under pressure.

Rob Green was bearing down on him for the chip and it was almsot measured to perfection.

Juniour could have hit it low, or controlled the ball tightly and gone round the keeper, or faked a shot put Green on his arse then chipped the ball into an empty net. Whatever decision he took he had to execute it with only one outcome didnt do it for me.

The other missed chance from Dunn's diagonal ball didnt hit the target either and that for me was easier than the chip.

Thought long and hard about Hoilet, he's got a 100% miss rate which surely he can only improve on but after 15 mins or so he hasnt done it, shown he can do it, has he ?

• Backroom

The diagonal ball chance was bloody hard he was running away from goal and had to turn and shoot in one.

As for the chip did you fail to notice the 2 defenders bearing down on him, if he took a touch the chance would go.

The diagonal ball chance was bloody hard he was running away from goal and had to turn and shoot in one.

As for the chip did you fail to notice the 2 defenders bearing down on him, if he took a touch the chance would go.

What are you saying, if you look at him or bear down on him thats enough for him to panic and make a mistake?

He was ahead going at an angle to the goals, you know you sensed he pannicked, snapped his shot and missed is that the sign of agood striker?

What are you saying, if you look at him or bear down on him thats enough for him to panic and make a mistake?

He was ahead going at an angle to the goals, you know you sensed he pannicked, snapped his shot and missed is that the sign of agood striker?

Classic JAL :lol:

He is clearly quality. Pace, directness, good touch, good movement. As far as the mss rate goes he scored against Gills.... He will take time to develop but I'm certain by the end of the season he will be a regular and have five or so goals to his name.

You have got the itchiest trigger finger on this board!

ps. He isn't going to be an out and out striker - more a wide player coming inside I think.

Seriously - why do you bother?

Because we shouldnt build somebody up into something he isnt.

Dunny's got a lot to answer for if he'd have kept quiet we wouldnt be having this discussion.

Is Dunny saying or implying Defoe misses a lot of chances, if so, then my mistake.

He's got along way to go. But he stands a chance lets just leave it at that for now. I'll wager saturday was the biggest ground & game he's every played in lets get him used to the pressures that come with that and the level we play at before we start hailing him as the next great thing. He's played less than one game, patience is needed so he acctually becomes what he can be.

Look at Wilshire and how wenger is dealing with him we need to do similar. You'll notice that when Wenger considers the press to be getting extreme about one of his kids IE next golden boy, he tends to withdraw them from the first team for a while so it dies down.

All I can say is thank god for work permits, because it would seem that the only kid from our academy with a chance is one who spent more time training away from our academy. :o;)

Classic JAL :lol:

He is clearly quality. Pace, directness, good touch, good movement. As far as the mss rate goes he scored against Gills.... He will take time to develop but I'm certain by the end of the season he will be a regular and have five or so goals to his name.

You have got the itchiest trigger finger on this board!

ps. He isn't going to be an out and out striker - more a wide player coming inside I think.

Only commenting on the the misses, like you say he will take time to develop but we shouldnt go putting undue pressure on the lad, should we.

Only commenting on the the misses, like you say he will take time to develop but we shouldnt go putting undue pressure on the lad, should we.

No you're not, you said he's a lower league player.

I've seen him five times now and he's shown he's much better than that.

Archived