BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] League Cup - Gillingham Away 25/08/09

Just emerged from the swamp that is Gillingham. If Kent is the Garden of England then Priestfield is its compost heap. Mother of God.. the stinking heap of a town is populated by pond life that have to be witnessed to be believed. A swift half in the Southern Bell outside the station was like a trip back in time to a Victorian freak show. THE MAN WITH NO ARSE. THE GRANNY WITH TEETH IN HER EARS...ROLL UP ROLL UP..And the ground? Perched on top of a scaffold for a Score? A shocker.

ha! ha! - its not changed then over the years - still the Royston Valley of the South :lol:

Parsonblue

I thought Olsson had a decent game at left-back, particularly when getting forward.

Are we sure here PB at left back- appreciate your view on this as I think you have probably seen more of this guy than most, as it would appear he showed what I and others feel (and have done since I first saw him in the reserves)- he has more uses as a winger and is no way near being a Premiership left back.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to hear super Keith Andrews captained the side to their first win of the season. Sounds like there's some positives to take out of the game from people's comments particularly the performance of Dunn. Whilst the 4-2-3-1 might work in a cup tie against Gillingham I fail to see how it would work in the Premiership particularly at home. Our midfield just isn't quick enough to support the lone striker.

Glad to hear super Keith Andrews captained the side to their first win of the season. Sounds like there's some positives to take out of the game from people's comments particularly the performance of Dunn. Whilst the 4-2-3-1 might work in a cup tie against Gillingham I fail to see how it would work in the Premiership particularly at home. Our midfield just isn't quick enough to support the lone striker.

Yesterday it was pretty quick with Hoilett supporting and Dunn having a bit of pace. You may have a point against West Ham with Hoilett more than likely being dropped. But I think we will still go for it.

You all baffle and bemuse me if Andrews was bought by Allardyce or Hughes and had played in the 3rd tier in a foreign country nobody would ever call him but you lot just cant resist dont get me wrong i'm not his biggest fan either but i refuse to call anybody who pulls on the blue and white shirt to play for our beloved BRFC. Nobody rated Sherwood when we signed him from Norwich yet he became club captain in our Title Winning Year. Their is always 1 that isn't everyones cup of tea but to continually berate him does my head in!! In recent times Keith Treacy made his debut against Coventry a couple of years ago and within 10 minutes the fans were on his back!! Talk about trying to ruin a career before its started he was blamed for our 4-1 defeat for weeks to come. Andrew is no great player but with the financial climate we are in and rising costs in transfer fees as well as him being injury free just be grateful for a (super atko style) workhorse!!

Don't dare compare that useless lump to Super Atko. Go wash your mouth out with soap.

Are we sure here PB at left back- appreciate your view on this as I think you have probably seen more of this guy than most, as it would appear he showed what I and others feel (and have done since I first saw him in the reserves)- he has more uses as a winger and is no way near being a Premiership left back.

Olsson is without doubt an exciting young prospect. I would agree that his attacking play is better than his defensive play at the moment. However, for much of his time in the Reserves he has been used as a wide player down the left hand side. His pace and ability to cross the ball have really caught the eye when operating on the wing in the reserves. Last night, particularly in the second half, he linked up well on the left and got into a number of good attacking positions.

In many ways he is similar to Warnock in that his strength is in going forward. In truth, Warnock is a super attacking player but as an out and out defender he leaves a lot to be desired. I would agree that Martin needs work on the defensive side of his game but I really believe that the club have a good young player on their hands - it's simply a case of deciding what position they want to play him in and then work on him. He's certainly far too promising to discard. This guy is the one player we have at the club who has genuine pace.

Olsson is very young and people need to realise that he will get better with experience. Its a shame we dont have more cover because he would benefit from a season in the Championship.

He is a good talent - people just need to realise he is young and hasnt had much 1st team experience.

Id agree with a more attacking role too - remember that goal against Everton....

Olsson is without doubt an exciting young prospect. I would agree that his attacking play is better than his defensive play at the moment.

This guy is the one player we have at the club who has genuine pace.

Against Aaron Lennon he didn't get near him for most of the game. He completely did him for pace and had him all over the place for so long he didn't know whether it was bumhole- or breakfast-time.

Guess that must've been a one-off.

Whilst the 4-2-3-1 might work in a cup tie against Gillingham I fail to see how it would work in the Premiership particularly at home. Our midfield just isn't quick enough to support the lone striker.

Not quick enough, or existent enough.

Regarding Olsson - he's 21. If he was going to become anything like a Premier-League-quality player he would have shown it by now.

Reminiscent of a certain Keith Andrews...?

Olsson is without doubt an exciting young prospect. I would agree that his attacking play is better than his defensive play at the moment. However, for much of his time in the Reserves he has been used as a wide player down the left hand side. His pace and ability to cross the ball have really caught the eye when operating on the wing in the reserves. Last night, particularly in the second half, he linked up well on the left and got into a number of good attacking positions.

In many ways he is similar to Warnock in that his strength is in going forward. In truth, Warnock is a super attacking player but as an out and out defender he leaves a lot to be desired. I would agree that Martin needs work on the defensive side of his game but I really believe that the club have a good young player on their hands - it's simply a case of deciding what position they want to play him in and then work on him. He's certainly far too promising to discard. This guy is the one player we have at the club who has genuine pace.

I watched Olsson against Bolton reserves at Leyland last season and Olsson did absolutely nothing for the entire game, he simply made up the numbers and that was it cant say I saw anything from the other lads that day except Aaron Doran who looked more of a prospect.

Against Aaron Lennon he didn't get near him for most of the game. He completely did him for pace and had him all over the place for so long he didn't know whether it was bumhole- or breakfast-time.

Guess that must've been a one-off.

Against Lennon he was left isolated as Pedersen didn't help and Ince was incapable of seeing the problem that was clear to all Rovers' supporters in the ground. After Olsson was sent off we double marked Lennon but by then it was too late. Another example of the wonderful management that we experienced under Ince.

I think that Olsson's got a problem with nerves. When he made a mess of dealing with Ronaldo, it wasn't a case of not being able to keep up with him but just not having the conviction to make the decisive challenge.

I suspect, Olsson's future is left wing, though.

Within the first five minutes of the Hibs game for the few of us there, Olsson got skinned by the little number 7 who one or two on here were raving about. As I sat in the riverside stand directly in front of this action the only thing was, the little fellow from Hibs decided to play narrower, going more central instead of going at Olsson again and again.

One of the problems for Ollson is that he has never been given a consistent run of games in the league.

Why would you want to do that though!? He is clear route to goal for anyone we play, including Gillingham last night. We can't afford to take risks like that.

He is going to have to get a shot in midfield, or really i cannot see how he has a future in the Premier League as he is just too weak in the air. I can't see that side of his game improving.

Oh crap, was Kalinic injured? I thought he was just taken off because he was virtually invisible first half.

I'm taking this as a positive thing, as in its his excuse for being @#/?.

Within the first five minutes of the Hibs game for the few of us there, Olsson got skinned by the little number 7 who one or two on here were raving about. As I sat in the riverside stand directly in front of this action the only thing was, the little fellow from Hibs decided to play narrower, going more central instead of going at Olsson again and again.

:lol: You cannot single out that instance on Olsson although true, every other player he took on he did the same with, magical player.

As usual Andrews was a load of testies, why is he still playing for us? i'd genuinely rather field 10 men and a claranet. Couldnt even do a job against a League 1 team, which is where he should still be playing.

Riddle me this then Batman:

Why didn't Sam sell Andrews to Fulham when he had the chance? Not just that but Sam told them he categorically wasn't for sale (compare that with the "come back with a better offer" with Warnock), and then gave him a new contract.

Why does Sam give him the captain's armband?

Either Sam Allardyce is wrong and you know more about football than him, or you are wrong. Which one do you think is the case? I know which one my money is on!

and it looks like Andrews cross for Junior's goal

It was a League One cross though ;)

I watched Olsson against Bolton reserves at Leyland last season and Olsson did absolutely nothing for the entire game, he simply made up the numbers and that was it cant say I saw anything from the other lads that day except Aaron Doran who looked more of a prospect.

I was there that day. Olsson was one of the better performers - but Doran was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch. Zurab was probably the second best player on the pitch.

Archived