BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] League Cup - Gillingham Away 25/08/09

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Official website says Olsson and SSN said Zurab. Brown was booked for protesting about it

Rovers Player commentary couldn't work out if Brown, Olsson or Zurab gave away the penalty, the only thing that was clear was that it shouldn't have been one, although we could have had two.

Good win anyway, in the next round, only minor problem was Reid's knock. Nothing to complain about, I'm a happy Rover.

Hang on a second I haven't written him off Ive just said from what Ive seen so far Ive not been impressed which I have every right to say. And yes if you do pay a sizeable fee for someone they should be scruitinized alot more. We are a small premiership club for whom 6 million is a huge sum of money and we have every right to voice our opinions over a signing for that amount of money. I hope it works out for him and he starts to bang them in but I just he hopes sooner rather than later

It's not his fault that we paid £6m for him, it's not entirely his fault that he's only trained for 2 weeks since May, and it's certainly not his fault that he has been expected to set the world alight when he's been thrown into 2 games in 4 days.

Criticism doesn't really help, especially at thsi stage, and people comparing him with Grabbi is ridiculous, we're setting him up to fail from the outset. The situation calls for patience, not reactionary drivel based on the little that you've seen of him and a second-hand opinion from the radio. You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

What is an "influential" striker?

A striker that can't score? :rolleyes:

But still scores goals for Rovers from open play at the same rate as the the adored Benni McCarthy? Or does that stat get swept under the carpet when it suits. :P

Hmmm - is that really true?

Well, Roberts has scored 17 goals in 95 games(inc sub apps) at a goal per game ratio of 5.58.

Benni has 48 goals in 113 games (inc sub apps) at a goal per game ratio of 2.35.

So in 95 games Benni wouldve scored 40.42 goals. Has Benni hae scored 23 penalties since 2006/2007 season. I think not.

Posted in the Benni V Roberts thread over the summer here.

Roberts has scored 14 goals in 4024 minutes on the pitch. That is a goal every 287 minutes.

Benni has scored 23 goals in 6249 minutes on the pitch. That is a goal every 271 minutes.

Not much difference there really. When watchin Rovers, Roberts does indeed seem to miss more chances than Benni but this must mean he gets in goalscoring positions more as because from open play he roughly scores at the same rate.

Also:-

Roberts was credited with 11 assists in the 4024 minutes on the pitch. An assist every 365 minutes.

Benni was credited with 5 assists in 6249 minutes on the pitch. An assist evey 1249 minutes.

No comparison there.

To discuss further please go on to that thread and save this one for the Gillingham game.

Archived