BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] League Cup - Gillingham Away 25/08/09

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a really good night and was great to meet some of those on the board.

Roberts won us the game; Gamst finally scored from a corner after four years of trying; Givet was great and Hoilett very promising; Dunn looked good, Reid not so; Andrews was OK; but the biggest talking point is that Brown actually managed to kick the ball in a straight line, which was hugely impressive.

We weren't great first half and they should have got a goal or two, but we played much better second half. That was largely because Roberts was playing. Says something about the standard of the opposition though, when Roberts tears you apart.

A lot of positives from tonight's match - namely the performances of Givet, Dunn and Hoilett.

Givet was brilliant, as he was against Man City, and should be our first choice in central defence. I hope Allardyce doesn't see him as a left back because he's too good for that position.

Perhaps recent performances have made the boss see sense and Chimbonda could do the job at full back, although I'd prefer a natural left footer.

The alternative is Martin Olsson who is so far away from being a Premier League footballer, I don't know where to start. Wasn't he our young player of the year the season before last?! If ever there was an indictment of the club's academy...

Just emerged from the swamp that is Gillingham. If Kent is the Garden of England then Priestfield is its compost heap. Mother of God.. the stinking heap of a town is populated by pond life that have to be witnessed to be believed. A swift half in the Southern Bell outside the station was like a trip back in time to a Victorian freak show. THE MAN WITH NO ARSE. THE GRANNY WITH TEETH IN HER EARS...ROLL UP ROLL UP..And the ground? Perched on top of a scaffold for a Score? A shocker.

But to more important issues. First up. The support. Often derided for our low numbers, I couldnt believe the turn out.... sensational stuff. The biggest crowd of their miserable season and we played our part. However I do think the rise in attendance was possibly linked to locals gawping at BROWN people who play FOOTY. And paying for the privilege of seeing PEOPLE FROM THE NORF WHO CAN CLAP. I know how wildebeest in a safari park feel now.

On the FOOTER side. Joey Big Nose got his hooter in all the right places. Kalinic looks technically gifted, rises well in the air, but...well... is a big Mary Ann to be honest. Jason was brought on at half time and gave him a salutory lesson in how to slap around the great unwashed. Like a killer whale who has just been let in to a Father Christmas Meets Baby Seals Day, Roberts battered them, held up the ball and completely transformed the game. A game however which we were in complete control of thanks to The Dunn. Granted he gave the ball away a tad too often, but The Dunn is the Godfather of the Blackburn midfield. Completely unpredictable but devastating in his ruthlessness once he scents an opening. You can see why Sam persists with him. The Dunn may yet have a major part to play in this season.

Givet is a gift from God. Majestic, noble, nay chivalrous, this knight of France will be one of the best players I have seen in the Halves. Warnock can take his hubcap removers and move to Brum forthwith if Sam can use £8m to find more of this majeste. N Zoni (?) sp... looks a star in the making as does Hoillett. Really impressive.

All of which overshadowed large pools of mediocrity in the shape of 'Julie', Olsson and shot fighters like Reid. Grella is technically excellent but is woefully short of pace and could get bypassed easily when not playing Special Needs teams like the Buffalo Bills, or whatever the redneck hillbillies call themselves.

A marvellous night all in all. Saw some posters in the Willow all too late which is a shame, however more nights and days in the Capital await. Thank God. Am not leaving the metropolis again to places like this...ever. Except perhaps to record a Brit version of The Wire.

AEL

You all baffle and bemuse me if Andrews was bought by Allardyce or Hughes and had played in the 3rd tier in a foreign country nobody would ever call him but you lot just cant resist dont get me wrong i'm not his biggest fan either but i refuse to call anybody who pulls on the blue and white shirt to play for our beloved BRFC. Nobody rated Sherwood when we signed him from Norwich yet he became club captain in our Title Winning Year. Their is always 1 that isn't everyones cup of tea but to continually berate him does my head in!! In recent times Keith Treacy made his debut against Coventry a couple of years ago and within 10 minutes the fans were on his back!! Talk about trying to ruin a career before its started he was blamed for our 4-1 defeat for weeks to come. Andrew is no great player but with the financial climate we are in and rising costs in transfer fees as well as him being injury free just be grateful for a (super atko style) workhorse!!

Just emerged from the swamp that is Gillingham. If Kent is the Garden of England then Priestfield is its compost heap. Mother of God.. the stinking heap of a town is populated by pond life that have to be witnessed to be believed. A swift half in the Southern Bell outside the station was like a trip back in time to a Victorian freak show. THE MAN WITH NO ARSE. THE GRANNY WITH TEETH IN HER EARS...ROLL UP ROLL UP..And the ground? Perched on top of a scaffold for a Score? A shocker.

But to more important issues. First up. The support. Often derided for our low numbers, I couldnt believe the turn out.... sensational stuff. The biggest crowd of their miserable season and we played our part. However I do think the rise in attendance was possibly linked to locals gawping at BROWN people who play FOOTY. And paying for the privilege of seeing PEOPLE FROM THE NORF WHO CAN CLAP. I know how wildebeest in a safari park feel now.

On the FOOTER side. Joey Big Nose got his hooter in all the right places. Kalinic looks technically gifted, rises well in the air, but...well... is a big Mary Ann to be honest. Jason was brought on at half time and gave him a salutory lesson in how to slap around the great unwashed. Like a killer whale who has just been let in to a Father Christmas Meets Baby Seals Day, Roberts battered them, held up the ball and completely transformed the game. A game however which we were in complete control of thanks to The Dunn. Granted he gave the ball away a tad too often, but The Dunn is the Godfather of the Blackburn midfield. Completely unpredictable but devastating in his ruthlessness once he scents an opening. You can see why Sam persists with him. The Dunn may yet have a major part to play in this season.

Givet is a gift from God. Majestic, noble, nay chivalrous, this knight of France will be one of the best players I have seen in the Halves. Warnock can take his hubcap removers and move to Brum forthwith if Sam can use £8m to find more of this majeste. N Zoni (?) sp... looks a star in the making as does Hoillett. Really impressive.

All of which overshadowed large pools of mediocrity in the shape of 'Julie', Olsson and shot fighters like Reid. Grella is technically excellent but is woefully short of pace and could get bypassed easily when not playing Special Needs teams like the Buffalo Bills, or whatever the redneck hillbillies call themselves.

A marvellous night all in all. Saw some posters in the Willow all too late which is a shame, however more nights and days in the Capital await. Thank God. Am not leaving the metropolis again to places like this...ever. Except perhaps to record a Brit version of The Wire.

AEL

Excellent post. In stitches. :lol:

I was thinking...can't we convert Roberts to an attacking midfielder? He'll get to use all his physical qualities in winning the ball and boosting our attack, but the responsibility of scoring goals, which is his weakest attribute won't fall on him. Play him behind Benni and Kalanic. Since our current central midfielders are entirely anonymous anyway we can sacrifice one of those positions. Preferably Andrews.

I was thinking...can't we convert Roberts to an attacking midfielder? He'll get to use all his physical qualities in winning the ball and boosting our attack, but the responsibility of scoring goals, which is his weakest attribute won't fall on him. Play him behind Benni and Kalanic. Since our current central midfielders are entirely anonymous anyway we can sacrifice one of those positions. Preferably Andrews.

I'm not sure how great his distribution is. Ideally we'd need a good passer in that role and I don't think Roberts is technically able or creative enough for that role. His best position is in attack. Despite his lack of goals he creates problems in the box for the opposition, if he was partnered with an excellent finisher then it would make a mean combination in attack.

You all baffle and bemuse me if Andrews was bought by Allardyce or Hughes and had played in the 3rd tier in a foreign country nobody would ever call him but you lot just cant resist dont get me wrong i'm not his biggest fan either but i refuse to call anybody who pulls on the blue and white shirt to play for our beloved BRFC. Nobody rated Sherwood when we signed him from Norwich yet he became club captain in our Title Winning Year. Their is always 1 that isn't everyones cup of tea but to continually berate him does my head in!! In recent times Keith Treacy made his debut against Coventry a couple of years ago and within 10 minutes the fans were on his back!! Talk about trying to ruin a career before its started he was blamed for our 4-1 defeat for weeks to come. Andrew is no great player but with the financial climate we are in and rising costs in transfer fees as well as him being injury free just be grateful for a (super atko style) workhorse!!

I noticed that no one mentioned that Andrews set up Hoilett's goal either :)

I think if sam plays with that 4-2-1-3 formation he did against Gillingham it would be our best formation. I like the idea of Andrews and N'zonzi as a more defensive midfield pairing as they don't do too much wrong and then have Dunn in front of them as the creative player. Of course if Reid or Grella are fit they can replace either Andrews or N'zonzi if needed. Not sure where Emerton and Salgado would fit though...

I'm not sure how great his distribution is. Ideally we'd need a good passer in that role and I don't think Roberts is technically able or creative enough for that role. His best position is in attack. Despite his lack of goals he creates problems in the box for the opposition, if he was partnered with an excellent finisher then it would make a mean combination in attack.

Benni is an excellent finisher, but the two haven't always clicked perfectly to be honest. Someone posted in another thread that Roberts does have a pretty high assists to minutes played ratio, so he does get good passes in.

I noticed that no one mentioned that Andrews set up Hoilett's goal either :)

I think if sam plays with that 4-2-1-3 formation he did against Gillingham it would be our best formation. I like the idea of Andrews and N'zonzi as a more defensive midfield pairing as they don't do too much wrong and then have Dunn in front of them as the creative player. Of course if Reid or Grella are fit they can replace either Andrews or N'zonzi if needed. Not sure where Emerton and Salgado would fit though...

He didn't. Dunn did. At least Dunn got all the praise, and was on the right wing at the time. I really want to see the goal again- only the BBC and me saw Dunn make the pass.

A lot of positives from tonight's match - namely the performances of Givet, Dunn and Hoilett.

Givet was brilliant, as he was against Man City, and should be our first choice in central defence. I hope Allardyce doesn't see him as a left back because he's too good for that position.

Perhaps recent performances have made the boss see sense and Chimbonda could do the job at full back, although I'd prefer a natural left footer.

The alternative is Martin Olsson who is so far away from being a Premier League footballer, I don't know where to start. Wasn't he our young player of the year the season before last?! If ever there was an indictment of the club's academy...

True and Hughes actually bought him not the academy developed him.

Never in a million years is Martin Olsson a premier league player hes becoming so lacking its becoming apparent to most now.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game at Gillingham last night. In the second half in particular, we played some excellent football. Indeed, even spencey7 couldn't have faulted Big Sam's style of football last night.

It was good to see Reid and Dunn back in the side. Dunn looked good until he was withdrawn but is obviously going to have to be nursed through games in the short term. Reid too did OK until he picked up an injury. As with all players who have been out for any length of time, little niggling injuries are bound to crop up in the short term. Grella also did a good job when he came on in a 4-2-3-1 system that worked very well. He looked comfortable on the ball, simply knocking it around as the Rovers played some very attractive passing football.

I thought Olsson had a decent game at left-back, particularly when getting forward. N'zonzi had his best game so far and looked very comfortable in midfield. Zurab and Givet did OK in middle despite the fact that the Gillingham forwards were big and physical in their approach.

Hoilett had an excellent game in midfield, supporting the lone striker. He operated on the right and then moved into the centre and was a constant threat to the Gillingham defence. Obviously, he will have to be nursed into Premier League games but he looks a real prospect. Last night he looked a little more robust than he has done in other games.

I also thought van Heerden gave a promising performance when he came on in the second half. He retained possession well and used the ball intelligently.

In the second half, Roberts gave one of his better performances as the lone striker. His running off the ball was good and he linked up with the three attacking midfielders very well. When he stays on his feet he looks a much better player and last night he did exactly that.

In the first half I felt that Kalinic struggled to make much impression. He looks the type of player who needs the ball playing down the channels and struggled trying to compete for high balls played up to him. However, it is early days yet and it will take time for him to settle in this country. I really don't think it will be fair to judge him until the second half of the season.

Finally, a word about Keith Andrews. I am not the greatest fan of Andrews and, once again, last night some of his passing was of the hit and hope variety. However, you can't fault his enthusiasm or work rate. Nonetheless, when everybody is fit I do wonder where he will figure. I suspect that Sam will use him on the bench but at the moment, with a shortage of bodies it is understandable why he continues to be selected and the lad does give 100 per cent.

That's three games that have been entertaining and encouraging in terms of the performance of the Rovers. The 4-2-3-1 formation was a success and it will be interesting to see if this formation is adopted in some Premier League games, particularly away from home.

So I slept on it and now this is my taking of yesterdays match:

Firstly the support was fantastic, out sang and made much more noise than the home fans. Special mention for the lad in the red and black away top who sang the roof is on fire, then shouted 'It's Ironic'. Haven't laughed that hard in a long while.

Brown - 7/10 Didn't have a great deal to do, made a good save in the first half but I felt his distribution was poor.

Olsson - 6/10 Found his feet later on in the game but most of their chances came from the left flank where Olsson was being caught out positionally time and time again.

Zurab - 7/10 Solid if not spectacular, relied on Givet for some of the more important challenges I felt.

Givet - 9/10 What a player, made some superb tackles and was always there at the back, solid as a rock and did his job fantastically, I feel the first half scoreline might have been more even without Givet.

Reid - 7/10 Nice to see Reid playing again, looked sharp but not quite up with the pace, played simple passes and put in a smashing tackle on a player.

Hoillet - 9/10 Either this guy or Givet for Man of the Match for me, ran at the defenses and gave a much needed attacking edge to our team, well taken goal and had a cracking shot from about 20 yards out at one point, wasn't afraid to get stuck in at times either which was a surprise considering his build. With a few more first team appearances I feel this guy could be a real star for us.

Dunn - 8/10 Looked unfit but played a typical Dunn game, some killer through balls mixed with simple passes. Lacked match sharpness I felt, some of his passes didn't reach a Rovers player, however I feel a few of these were due to his match brain being ahead of his team mates.

N'Zonzi - 7/10 Solid if unspectacular in the middle, won the majority of headers but needs to improve his football skills, his physical presence was much needed in the centre of the pitch.

Andrews - 6/10 What can I say about Keith, he tries hard, ran around the entire game but if he tries more than the simple passes I feel he gets found out, still I don't think he deserves as much stick as people give him, a reliable squad player if we get a new CM at any point.

Pederson - 6/10 Thought Pederson seemed lazy last night, if he lost the ball he didn't always chase to get it back even if it was 10 yards in front of him. Corners were good and he had a beautiful freekick saved by the Gills keeper.

Kalinic - 6/10 Didn't really do much, don't think hes suited to the type of game Sam was trying to play him in, needs a second striker next to him I feel to feed off. Ran around and got himself into positions but wasn't given many opportunities.

SUBS:

Grella - 5/10 Did nothing I felt, took about 15 minutes for me to see him pass the ball, as the game neared an end he was getting involved more but still made little impact in the centre, maybe gave N'Zonzi a break.

Van Heerden - 6/10 Seemed too lightweight, has a decent touch and looked a handful for the fullbacks at times, made a neat touch which saw him skin two Gills players. One for the future.

Roberts - 8/10 Changed the second half, exactly the sort of player we needed from the start, strong and quick causing mayhem to the Gills back four, if only he could finish. Had some neat touches but needs someone to feed the ball to after he's done the hard work, feel him and Kalinic would have worked well.

GOD!!!!!!!!

the constant slating of andrews is really getting on my gripe!!!!! he has been one of our better players in the last year or so since he signed, we cannot complain!!!! he works hard and puts the effort which is more than some of our overpaid pre madonna's can conjour.

Also with Kalinic, we have seen through the video evidence that he can finish, that is not in doubt, he has only played a couple of games in the Premier League and League Cup and I am sure that once he settles then he will show his true qualities.

We need to be supporting and encouraging our players in blue and white, not slating them and hitting them around the head with a spade!!!!

this is our club and it can only achieve what we allow them to!!!

So I slept on it and now this is my taking of yesterdays match:

Firstly the support was fantastic, out sang and made much more noise than the home fans. Special mention for the lad in the red and black away top who sang the roof is on fire, then shouted 'It's Ironic'. Haven't laughed that hard in a long while.

That was great and in the first half there was a point where only 2 people were singing, one of the guys started singing 'There's only 2 of us drinking!'

Don't see how everyone thinks Reid did ok. He gave the ball away way too often and we would have been killed in the league with that defending.

Was there a big support there, or was it just loud?

Good to see NZonzi is still getting praised - this kid is going to be a star for us! He's getting better with each game and once he has 12 months experience he will be much better for it!

GOD!!!!!!!!

the constant slating of andrews is really getting on my gripe!!!!! he has been one of our better players in the last year or so since he signed, we cannot complain!!!! he works hard and puts the effort which is more than some of our overpaid pre madonna's can conjour.

Also with Kalinic, we have seen through the video evidence that he can finish, that is not in doubt, he has only played a couple of games in the Premier League and League Cup and I am sure that once he settles then he will show his true qualities.

We need to be supporting and encouraging our players in blue and white, not slating them and hitting them around the head with a spade!!!!

this is our club and it can only achieve what we allow them to!!!

That fits in well with what a lot of fans want from people on here Donis - lopsided, blue and white tinted views.

I appreciate very much the posts from the guys who went to last night's game and far prefer that they're honest and post what they see.

Thanks guys.

GOD!!!!!!!!

the constant slating of andrews is really getting on my gripe!!!!! he has been one of our better players in the last year or so since he signed, (Words fail me)we cannot complain!!!! (I Can!) he works hard and puts the effort which is more than some of our overpaid pre madonna's can conjour. (He's not as good as Madonna, she's a better passer of the ball for a start)

Archived