BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Vs. Peterbrough Preview

BLACKBURN ROVERS vs. PETERBOROUGH UNITED – KICK OFF 8pm, 27th OCTOBER 2009 – CARLING CUP ROUND 4

Well I said I’d take the 4th round opposition and was pleased to get a home draw, the opposition maybe could have been more glamorous, but it’s a chance to progress, and also an opportunity to see a team with an exciting young British manager, who if you believe what you read, could have been installed instead of Paul Ince.

The rise of the Posh has been one of the Cinderella stories of the Football League in recent years, after investment from Ireland the club appointed Darren Ferguson as their new manager and frankly haven’t looked back since, finishing runners up in League Two in the 2007/08 season (behind you know who) and finishing runners up again last season in League One, ahead of the likes of Leeds, Milwall and the Di Matteo (so it’s alright to laud them) lead MK Dons.

Peterborough offer an interesting comparison on where Rovers may have been without the help of Uncle Jack, as both towns have many similarities. Peterborough is a unitary authority, with a cathedral, a population of around 150,000 and a large immigrant community, the local Italian community is the biggest of its kind outside of Italy.

The Team - Peterborough Factfile

Peterborough_United_Logo.PNG

Full Name – Peterborough United Football Club

Nicknames – The Posh (The clubs initial owners were looking for posh players for a posh team to represent the city in the Norhamptonshire League)

Founded – 1934

Ground – London Road, capacity 15,460

Motto – Upon this rock

All time team/Club Legends – Ken Charlery, Terry Bly, Mark Tyler, Tommy Robson, Mick Halsall and Freddie Hill.

Honours – twice League Two Champions, 1960/61 and 1973/74

The History

Rovers have only played Peterborough three times before at senior level.

11/09/61 – League Cup 1st Round. Peterborough 1-3 Rovers, an Ian Lawther brace and Douglas gave Rovers the victory.

09/11/74 – Division 3 (now League One). Peterborough 1-0 Rovers

01/02/75 – Division 3. Rovers 0-1 Peterborough

Rovers/Peterborough lineup

Too few to make a lineup! But players who have played for both teams include;

Derek Dougan, Jimmy Quinn, Jim Iley (manager), Wade Burnett, Tony Dobson, Peter Kennedy, Alan Morgan.

The Interview

Those of you who remember one of my previous previews, will recall that I got a celebrity Boro fan Roy ‘Chubby’ Brown to answer some questions and then last season snooker legend John Parrott.

This time I searched the web for celebrity Peterborough fans, and the only person I could find was Talk Sports much “loved” DJ Adrian Durham, but after much deliberation I decided against emailing him to keep the peace on the boards!

More to follow...........

The Game

Of course any team news can change, but Rovers I expect Rovers to shuffle the pack once again, with the likes of Brown, Olsson, Salgado, Hoillett and Jones all expected to feature. I along with most Rovers fans would like to see Kalinic up close and hopefully get his name on the scoresheet.

As for the Posh, they comfortably saw off Newcastle United in the last round, and are expected to come with a strong squad full of first team players.

One to Watch

Aaron McLean

_45704067_aaron_mclean.jpg

The 26 year old striker, who has blossomed under Fergie Jr, signed from non league Grays Athletic in 2006 and has since become an integral part of Peterborough’s team and a prolific striker in recent years, helping them secure automatic promotion from League Two, scoring 29 goals along the way, and then promotion from League One as he continued his goal scoring form with 18 goals, even though he had an injury plagued season.

In the Championship this year McLean has 4 goals to his name and has already scored in the League Cup this year in Round 1 against Wycombe.

Future Star?

Joe Lewis

22 year old Lewis signed for the Posh in 2008 for a club record £400,000 from Norwich and was the England under 21 reserve goalkeeper (and part time Striker) at the U-21 European Championships earlier this year.

Tickets

Available now at www.onerovers.co.uk,

via telephone 0871 222 1444

and at the ticket office at the ground.

SEASON TICKET HOLDERS

Adults - £10.00 (£12.00 in Jack Walker)

Seniors/Club 16-21/Juniors - £5.00

NON SEASON TICKET HOLDERS

Adults – £15.00

Seniors/Club 16-21/Juniors - £5.00

Predictions

I’ll leave that up to you, although I did run a game on my Xbox to get some inspiration.

Blackburn vs. Peterborough, with likely teams, i.e. Brown in goal, Kalinic up front etc.

I ran the simulation on the new FIFA 10 and Rovers won 2-0, Benni McCarthy scored a scrappy goal in the first half, then Peterborough took the game to the Rovers and McLean hit the bar after an hour, before Nicola Kalinic scored with 15 mins to go to make it two nil after a Grella through ball. Kalinic missed a sitter after that and Hoilett claimed the man of the match award.

The last time I did this was before the Premier League home game against Everton last season and according to FIFA the game would finish 0-0, which of it did, so hopefully the same will happen again this time around.

Just for fun

P-O-S-H Posh!! Great film!

Jaime Carragher vs. Adrian Durham (Should go down well on here)

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was on the League Liner for the away day in November 1974. Nice little ground and a good atmosphere with two ends just like the Darwen End, but quite a bit smaller.

I was also on the League Liner that day, I recall the train being bricked as we left the station. :angry:

Nice preview Rog :tu:

Hopefully a good run out for some of our fringe players hoping to claim a place in the 1st team, but even more hopefull of a win!

Will this be our first night match at Ewood for a fair old while? Cannot remember our last night game.

Night matches, under the lights are always nice to have.

Nice move, deciding not to contact Adrian Durham of talksport fame. The guy is most annoying & has never had a good word for t`Rovers.

He`s a wannabe journo who sucks up to the BIG clubs.

Good preview Rog. If you're still looking for a 'celebrity' Posh fan, I think Izzy Clarke (did and maybe still does the text and email spot on 6-0-6 and co-presents with Danny Baker on his excellent Sat morning show on Five Live) supports Peterborough. Can probably get her views via an email to one of those shows.

Nice preview, I will be in the press box for this one as I will be doing the commentating for Radio Hospitals Blackburn, Peterborough will bring a strong side to Ewood, I think Sam will make changes again like at Forest, I would like to think though that maybe he doesn't make as many changes as last time.

Nice preview, Rog.

I think that the team we use in this game will depend a lot on what happens against Chelsea.

If we have a terrible defeat against Chelsea, Sam might use a similar starting 11 in order to lift the players spirits up.

On the other hand, if we get a positive result, Sam should rest most of the team to have them ready to beat Man Utd.

My prediction:

Blackburn Rovers 3 (Hoilett, Kalinic and Andrews)

Peterborough 0

I went on the Owens Coach from Chorley to Posh back in 1974. After the game a brick came thru one side window, skimmed a guy in front of me off the top of his head and out thru the other side window. A damm cold drive back!!

therefore my only memory of Posh is that they are a load of scumbags....lets stuff it up Fergie. No doubt the red nose Fergie will be present as we play them in 2 weeks.

I went on the Owens Coach from Chorley to Posh back in 1974. After the game a brick came thru one side window, skimmed a guy in front of me off the top of his head and out thru the other side window. A damm cold drive back!!

therefore my only memory of Posh is that they are a load of scumbags....lets stuff it up Fergie. No doubt the red nose Fergie will be present as we play them in 2 weeks.

If we have a terrible defeat against Chelsea, Sam might use a similar starting 11 in order to lift the players spirits up.

I don't think that will be the case. The reaction to a terrible performance against Everton was to completely change the team for the Forest game and tell the incoming players they were playing for the shirt. Seemed to do the trick as we won both that and our following league match.

I was on the League Liner for the away day in November 1974. Nice little ground and a good atmosphere with two ends just like the Darwen End, but quite a bit smaller.

Was on the League Liner too, thrill of my life at the time listening to Gordon Lee talk footy on the way back.

Could be the case as the top tier is closed so it may mean many people have transferred seats into the BBE lower, hope im wrong and its a case of BBE lower season ticket holders having snapped up a ticket for this one already!

Rather amusing watching the divergent fortunes of Forest and Peterborough since rover6 graphically told us how poor the Forest team was we beat and how much tougher the Posh will be.

Cup games are one-offs so he might yet be right. We gave the last Liverpool side to win the League one heck of a fright whilst sitting rock bottom of Div 2.

Anyway, Rovers to win 3-1 with the likes of Salgado, Jones and Kalinic playing and onwards to the last 8. Really looking forwards to seeing those three.

According to the online planner most seats in the Bburn end lower are taken for this one!! That cant be right can it? :blink:

Im going to phone up for mine later!

shoooot not even thought about a ticket yet...looks im going down tomoz lol

Id go with this team for tomorrow.

------------Robbo-------------

Salgado--Jones---Samba---Givet

Emerton--Reid--Nzonzi--Hoilett

------McCarthy--Kalinic-------

Well that's an attendance of two guarranteed for tomorrow night.

At least you will be able to watch the Champions League in a local bar when you find Ewood is all locked up!

According to the online planner most seats in the Bburn end lower are taken for this one!! That cant be right can it? :blink:

Im going to phone up for mine later!

I was at Ewood yesterday to get tickets for this one and the staff basically said where would you like to sit? there's loads of seats in the blackburn end.

Id go with this team for tomorrow.

------------Robbo-------------

Salgado--Jones---Samba---Givet

Emerton--Reid--Nzonzi--Hoilett

------McCarthy--Kalinic-------

wtf have they just said my tickets will come on friday...JHC didnt realise its tomorow thought it was next tuesday.Now i need to make arrangemnets grrrrrrrrrrrr...im numb grrrrrrrrrrr

Archived