BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Vs. Peterbrough Preview

Well I hope you lot are right and I am wrong. I fear we are relegation fodder next season. £80,000 per week on two players stuck in the reserves is huge problem. Hoillet, Jones forgiven. They will mature, especially Jones plus Jackson Camm? and Cruz who look good for their age.

It's no good saying shouting me down about for eg NZonzi at the strat of the season. 10 games in it is a no brainer, Grella isn't good enough. Or that Roberts is good enough. Diouf is the next in the firing line. Next to no assists and 1 goal.

Undeniable Observation LOL; Last night 4 of the 5 midfielders were Souness signings.

Fair shout graham, especially the line about the midfielders at the end.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, hes only 17, looked a little bit nervy tonight i'm sure in three years time we will see a more confident lad looking more assured, of the three Jones i'll concede I maybe a bit hasty with but not the other two.

He certainly did, but its that crucial slpit second lack of pace needed for the prem is were he'll be found out.

There are a lot of kind remarks. I thought we were awful pretty much throughout. Lacking movement effort skill. This is Posh from the ass end of the championship. A team reduced to 10 men and we allowed them 2-2.

First goal, Hoilet trying to be to clever ended up in a tackle he bottled. He then didn't chase the player down who swung a great cross to the back post where Jones and Givet were two on two. Hoillet had a mare all game however players who show fear and bottle tackles aren't good enough.

Selgado, the goal excepted had a stinker. The wide player had him in his back pocket it was embarrassing. Selgado didn't know how to tackle him and ended up making some awful and pitiful challenges. I cringed all evening.

Reid was decent and head a shoulders above most cept Emo who was class in CM. Ran the game. The one plAyer who clearly had more skill, better fitness, greater strength and vision. Brown had little to do. Givet and Peds were usual. Ollson whom I like was rash, long long way of Prem. Jones was rash and very loose getting caught ou of position frequently. Disapointed. He had a god game at Stanley.

Kalinic was rank. Where do you start??? Lazy for one. Made no runs and had Dunn screaming at him. No idea how to find goalscoring positions. Awful

touch and so left footed he is nearly always off balence. Was easily outjumped on every header, looked like headers aren't his game.Did anyone else notice he took the pen with his right?

Mcacartthy played Dunns role but fat 40 and past it he might has well be. I'd put bisto gravy on the ball, he might just run quicker: run at all would be a start! Andrews was pants when he cake on.

The usual crap from the usual sources.

Graham - I disagree on Grella, he was starting to look decent in the defensive midfield role until he took his red card and then got a knock on international duty. He need to be given time to prove himself.

Roberts I agree is rubbish. Diouf however has some vital qualities that we often lack.

Five points

1) Very harsh sending off which ultimately swung the game in our favour- up until that point we were being given a game by a decent looking team- but I'll take anything we can get- can't see the opposition GK being sent off at the weekend for a similar misdemeanour

2) Why do we kick off at 8.00? Surely a load of parents would have been put off by the late kick off even though its half term. I'm not saying turn all Johnstones Paint Trophy and kick off at seven, but surely some common sense should prevail and a 7:45 kick off?

3)People who don't have a clue where they are sitting realy get on my nerves- plus they show up late so the seat numbers are covered up- get a grip people and turn up on time or at least look as if you know where you're sitting.

4) Time to change the picture behind the tills in the club shop. I think it has a photo of Rovers players celebrating a goal and has Samba, Bentley, Santa Cruz, Derbyshire, Reid and Zurab. I was queuing up last night and one kid behind me went- Swine Flu, left, left, left injured and left!!

5) The journo from the Times described the weather as bitterly cold. Southern softy- temparature couldn't have dropped below double figures until the last ten fifteen minutes.

Apart from that a decent night out for a tenner.

We could really do with Bolton pulling off a shock result tonight, and maybe Arsenal beating Liverpool too.

Id then like to see a QF draw of:

Rovers v Bolton

Pompey v Tottenham

Arsenal v Villa

City v United

Id rather Liverpool went through over Arsenal. Liverpool surely would not be risking any of there better players for the Carling Cup and Arsenals reserves beat us quite convincingly last time out. Just a personal opinion.

Id like

Rovers v Pompey

Bolton v Tottenham

Liverpool v United

City v Villa

then for the semi final,

Rovers v Bolton :rover:

Liverpool v City < both hot and cold clubs :rolleyes:

but we all know the quarter final will end up going to be,

Liverpool/Man Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal v Blackburn Rovers

My thoughts on yesterday's game.

Brown: Didn't do much in fairness. Altho he got a cheer for picking up a plastic bag...good goin Jase 5/10 :tu:

Salgado: Came in to his own second half. Well taken goal 8/10

Givet: Didn't have the best game last night 6/10

Jones: Not too bad for a 17yr old, solid performance 7/10

Ollson: Thought he did really well; both defensivly and going forward, linked up well with MGP. 7/10

Holiett: Didn't really impress me, he got caught in possesion a lot, didn't do much with the ball when he had it. worked well with Salgado tho. 5/10

Reid: Glad to see him back; but didn't do much in my eyes. Steady at best 6/10

Emerton: Ran the centre of the field, hardly put a foot wrong. well deserved MOM 9/10

Pedersen: Great freekick, worked well with Ollson and McCarthy. Gave the ball away a few times but always chased back and put the attacker under pressure. Corner takin was pretty shocking again tho. 7/10

Kalinic: He likes to chest the ball a lot doesn't he? Played well I thought, just needs more time on the pitch. Great unselfish ball for McCarthy's goal. 7/10

McCarthy: Put the effort in at times, he's by far the most skillfull player we have; its just down to him bein arsed or not really. Thought it was good of him to give away his Penalty taking duties to Reid and Kalinic. 7/10

Subs:

Dunn: Didn’t do much, not much to write about to be honest 5/10

Nelsen: Changed the game for me, He won everything. I swear he’d head a brick if you threw it up for him. The old Nelsen is back....hopefully. 9/10

Andrews: Much like Dunny but he did have a decent shot. 6/10

Five points

1) Very harsh sending off which ultimately swung the game in our favour- up until that point we were being given a game by a decent looking team- but I'll take anything we can get- can't see the opposition GK being sent off at the weekend for a similar misdemeanour

2) Why do we kick off at 8.00? Surely a load of parents would have been put off by the late kick off even though its half term. I'm not saying turn all Johnstones Paint Trophy and kick off at seven, but surely some common sense should prevail and a 7:45 kick off?

5) The journo from the Times described the weather as bitterly cold. Southern softy- temparature couldn't have dropped below double figures until the last ten fifteen minutes.

1) You might think it harsh but that's what the law says - the goalkeeper caught Pedersen and stopped a clear goalscoring opportunity. Personally i think a penalty is enough punishment in that situation but that's not the law.

2) You might have a general point but it would have been a real pain for me last night. I was in London during the day and on a train due back in Preston at 7.02. It arrives at 7.35 and I set off from hoem at 7.45, getting to the game at 8.10. I haven't had a delayed train for over a year and it has to happen on the one time I need to be on time.

3) It was 14 degrees when I got back to the car at 10.15 last night.

8pm kick off was better for me too, amd it probably helps those on shifts who finish at 6 or 7....Kids are off so no excuses their either.

I just hope our quarter final is at home....and not against United, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool.

Pedersen, somewhere near his best form in years. Still buggers up corners at times but the free kick and his work rate was first-class.

Apart from an excellent free-kick, Pedersen was shocking. He looked second-rate against a poor Championship team, and his miss from 1 yard neatly summed up his night. Corners are abysmal, when you actually watch him his much vaunted work-rate is actually poor, he wimps out of challenges, and cannot cross to save his life.

I felt sorry for Olsson who wanted to be bombing forward like Salgado did so effectively, but unfortunately Pedersen had no idea when to hold or make runs to support him - unlike Hoilett who particularly in the second half linked up superbly with Salgado.

If that's his best form in years then he wouldn't get in Stanley's side.

The question is - was he ever really any good, or is he suffering from a cataclysmic lack of confidence and 3 year run of poor form? Either way - get shut - ASAP.

Apart from an excellent free-kick, Pedersen was shocking. He looked second-rate against a poor Championship team, and his miss from 1 yard neatly summed up his night. Corners are abysmal, when you actually watch him his much vaunted work-rate is actually poor, he wimps out of challenges, and cannot cross to save his life.

I felt sorry for Olsson who wanted to be bombing forward like Salgado did so effectively, but unfortunately Pedersen had no idea when to hold or make runs to support him - unlike Hoilett who particularly in the second half linked up superbly with Salgado.

If that's his best form in years then he wouldn't get in Stanley's side.

The question is - was he ever really any good, or is he suffering from a cataclysmic lack of confidence and 3 year run of poor form? Either way - get shut - ASAP.

Some more Pedersen bashing, what a surprise. but then you go on to say Holliet had a decent game....the mind boggles

There was loads of booing from what appeared to be the more central areas of the BBE when Andrews came on, and a smaller amount whilst he was on. In particular some pillocks not far from you Abbs, when he took a shot were booing him, only to start cheering when they thought he might have scored.

must be deaf ,hand on heart i never heard any...heard comments like ,oh no,why etc but never any boos.

I do try to resist but sometimes when you see the same thing repeated time and again it's impossible and that one has just become unbearable. You might try looking 'grammar' up in the dictionary too.

look i don't have time with numpties like you. So what if i make a slight spelling mistake or GRAMMAR mistake now and again, at least my posts are worth while!

Anyway moving onto last nights game,

Not a bad display from the lads, good to see Reidy and Kalinc get on the scoresheet. Emerton looks like he's nearly back to full fitness, which is a plus and i thought Salgado had a good game.

Lets hope for another home draw in the quarters!!!

... they didn't close the man in posession down quick enough and seemed to almost mark zonally rather than pick a man up. A simple bit of movement seemed to find the Peterborough players in space in the midfield when really one of the central Rovers players should have closed

... the problem is that the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea can rip you apart if you keep letting the midfielders pick the ball up in space and then give them time to make the pass

... seems that whoever we play in there seems to be reluctant to mark players and close people down

... (need to) be more aware of the positions the opposition are taking up and when they have the ball try and pressure them.

Love the observations Hasta, I think there is a lot of truth in what you say.

I've wondered whether they were going zonal this year but zonal in midfield and not in the back four, and with our players, it can never work can it.

It would explain though why Andrews is running around pointing Nzonzi into space all the time rather than putting a tackle in. Always looks like he is backing off and trying to marshall the opposition into a controllable space and only making the tackle when they take him on. Odd because he can tackle.

My guess is that they are playing to instructions here. Sam seems to want a picket line in front of the back four and woe betide anyone who breaks rank, hence the hystrionics last week about not following the game plan. It's tough to watch but given the standard of our midfield players it might make sense, time will tell.

If a player wants to make the world cup he will need to be playing in the EPL on a regular basis, if he crosses Sam, and there's an alternative, he will find himself in the Ressies pretty sharpish. Maybe that's why the guys do what they do even though it's against their natural instincts. Again Sam talks about mental toughness and discipline (in order words they'd better stick to what he tells them). Perhaps he fears players jumping in like Sav on a bad day, good players will always exploit that.

Hughsey was the opposite he wanted the tackles to go flying in (as I did/do truth be told) but Sam has a different view (I wish he hadn't). Still he's the man and I'm a no one where footy strategy is concerned, so I watch with interest but with the shared frustration of many on this board.

Five points

ive had a winge about this for years...8 o clockers only became fashionable after a utd game about 15-20 years ago was delayed tdue to a traffic jam and every one else followed suit.Im old enogh to remeber 7.30 kick offs...great time and finished for 9.10pm.

Some more Pedersen bashing, what a surprise. but then you go on to say Holliet had a decent game....the mind boggles

Do you ever take off your MGP-tinted specs and wonder why the majority of Rovers fans think Pedersen is not good enough? Is it perhaps because he just isn't and you cannot see what everyone else sees?

I would love for him to get back to the Pedersen of 3-4 years ago, but he's had more than enough chances and still turns out the same dirge week-in, week-out. He's not alone in not being good enough though - stand up Messrs. Andrews and Roberts ....

Hoilett had an average first half, but got better as the game wore on.

Agree with most of what TCO posted just after the game. Couple of other views.... Hoilett's learning so go easy. One thing he'll have to learn is when to pass - he does have a habit of getting his head down, and he usually beats a couple of defenders but so often seems to take on one too many. Thought Bert had a good game but nothing spectacular as some folk seem to be raving.

And thought best player on the pitch was Benni : hopeless for the first 10-15 mins but after that a cut above, maybe it was as much others getting on the same wavelength as much as him retuning. He also seemed to play a lot deeper - as others have commented, more a Dunny role - for a lot of the game rather than an out and out striker, and that meant a lot of running about (who'd have believed that!).

Do you ever take off your MGP-tinted specs and wonder why the majority of Rovers fans think Pedersen is not good enough? Is it perhaps because he just isn't and you cannot see what everyone else sees?

I would love for him to get back to the Pedersen of 3-4 years ago, but he's had more than enough chances and still turns out the same dirge week-in, week-out. He's not alone in not being good enough though - stand up Messrs. Andrews and Roberts ....

Frankly I think your opinion of MGP last night is very wide of the mark. In fact, I'm not actually sure what game you watched. He worked very hard last night and, apart from corners, did very well. His tracking back and positional awareness were excellent. Did you not see him nicking the ball right off the toe of an attacker thus snuffing out the danger later on in the second half? He is definitely better than he was last season. I'm telling it as I see it without an agenda or an intrinsic like or dislike of any player which I am certain isn't the same for everyone here.

Apart from tracking back and working hard, what did he also do well?

As far as I'm aware, tracking back isn't the number one attribute for a winger, and working hard should be a given, especially on their wages. I'm aware he scored a very good free-kick, was there any other good bits of attacking play from him?

I just stick up for players who get stick for playing well.

Fair do's he didn't play well at all last season, no-one's saying he did.

But to say he's been consistently sh*t this season is very far of the mark (no pun intended ;)).

He was one of the best players on the pitch yesterday and I honestly; hand on heart can not see where you've got your analysis from? I just come to the conclusion that you don't really like him, so whatever he does on the pitch will never be good enough in your eyes.

and as for Holiett gettin better in the second half? think you might want to take your glasses off or maybe invest in some.

As far as I'm aware, tracking back isn't the number one attribute for a winger, and working hard should be a given, especially on their wages. I'm aware he scored a very good free-kick, was there any other good bits of attacking play from him?

Yes, he did exactly what you would expect a good winger to do. Get up and down the pitch and produce good balls into the box etc. He also covered Olsson when Olsson broke forward and linked up very well with him. He came inside when he needed to and got tackles in when he needed to. In general, his play was very good.

Apart from tracking back, working hard, scoring a goal, getting some good crosses in, last ditch challenges to stop an attack, covering for the left back, Linking up well with players on his side of the pitch? What did he also do well?

;)

Just to add - if Reid could get back to some form and fitness he would walk into that midfield.

and if Benni could display the qualities that he did in the second half, on a regular basis what a difference he could make to the squad. There are very few better strikers in the Prem, and there's certainly no-one better in our squad than Benni when he's up for it.

Archived