BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Vs. Peterbrough Preview

Back in a balmy but autumnal Leyland having been to the game. Rovers have just safely negotiated a tricky tie to make the quarter finals once more of The Carling Cup.

So, after a 5-0 drubbing at Chelski, Rovers were ripe for a cup upset at the hands of Fergie Junior, who, in the build up to his clubs biggest game of the season, treat BRFC just like his father over a few years previous, by that I mean in a dismissive manner.

But, alas, it wasnt to be for fergie jnr as Rovers skittled a 10 man Posh with ease to progress to Saturday's last 8 draw. Something they have have done on a regular basis in recent years.

The game ebbed and flowed, it stagnated and then ignited with a flurry of activity, energy and goals.

For me, I was on Keith Andrews watch and before I move onto the game here is a summary of his performance tonight.

12 minutes, blinding run down the flank and beat three players back into the players seats.

19 minutes, great pass to olsson who managed a great thrown in to MGP.

26 minutes, another fine run down the flank easily outwitting 2 lucozade sport bottles, both of whom were left stationary due the speed of his turn.

44 minutes, pass to ball boy number 34 who returned a ball to the pitch.

55 minutes, another gliding run on the flank, this time evading tackles from 3 water bottles and a lucozade still drink, great footwork.

62 minutes, change of formation as he takes the place of Emerton in the central midfield berth.

63 minutes, marvellous clearance from KA as a dangerous ball near the Peterborough area landed at his feet, Such was the ferocity of his clearance the Posh keeper made hard work of catching the ball.

Anyhow, you get the picture.

Rovers set off to kill the Posh early doors and after 3 minutes MGP, the real MGP stepped forwad and smashed a 25 yarder home befoe the keeper blinked. Despite plenty of movement Rovers then contrived to let posh score an equaliser. I cant say who was to blame but not ONE defener made and effort to clear the ball as the forward knocked the ball home.

At 1-1 the game huffed and puffed, Rovers had plenty of posession but no end product. The service to Benni and NK was little or non existant. Reid and Emo pushed and harried without an outlet whilst young JUNIOR failed to take advantage of a mass of space on his flank. As we approached half time a sweeping ball saw MGP flit into the area, fall like a sack of spuds and the ref, sporting a lovely pink number, pointed to the spot, Penalty to Rovers and the keeper saw red. Reidy then slipped forward and scuffed the ball home. 2-1 Rovers game over or so we thought.

At half time I ma sure Rovers were told pass and move before putting the Posh to the sword. However, a trio of defensive blunders saw a Posh screamer, 2-2. Browns only action of the game, picking the ball out of his net twice !

One might have thought Rovers would go into their shells, but, for once they didnt. An effervescent Benni led from the front like a man possessed. He wasnt the Benni of old as he probed and pulled the defence all over. Then, as Rovers piled forward, our Spanish ace Salgado di a Chimbonda. A great 1-2 and salgado chipped the ball home, 3-2 Rovers. More possession led to Rovers piling forward and it was only a matter of time before the heavens opened on Posh. A fine run by Kalinic saw him lay the ball off to Benni who slipped the ball home 4-2 Rovers. NK then managed to get a goal he so deserved, yet another penalty saw NK send the keeper the wrong way 5-2 Rovers game well and truly over.

It could have been a lot more but who cares, Rovers back on track with a thumping win, no hangover and the home run continues. A poor crowd of just over 8k saw a Rovers romp.

So, despite the flu bug hitting BRFC, a solid game which had banana skin written all over it. We move on and await our next roudn opponents.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back. We looked dodgy at the back for most of the first half with a lot of that coming from standing off the opposition too much. I've noticed this a lot recently - we need to close down much quicker as teams are having the freedom to pick and choose passes.

A few player comments :

Brown - Kicking is poor - took him 3 or 4 goal kicks before he managed to get it past half way!

Salgado - grew into the game and looked very good going forward - scored a good goal.

Jones - Didnt look out of place and very promising for a 17 year old. Would be good to see him out on loan at a championship side where he could benefit from more game time.

Givet - Not much to say - usual steady performance.

Hoilet - skilful, maybe too late in releasing the ball at times, drifted in and out of the game. Not ready to start in the Premier League.

Reid - Decent game - up and down and kept things simple. Had 70 min before going off. Went straight down the tunnel tho - hope it was just a toilet break! Think he did come back to the bench after a few min.

Emerton - Our best player and I was quite surprised the 'official' man of the match award went to the correct person for a change!

Pedersen - Typical Pedersen. Scored a screamer, hit at least 4 corners straight to the defender on the front post. General play was good but please sort the corners out!

McCarthy - Good game, obvious premiership class. Big decisions coming whether to play him or Dunn.

Kalinic - Missed a couple of headers in the first half which he should have done better with, constantly made runs and wanted the ball but rarely received the pass. When he finally did get a touch he beat his man before playing a good ball to McCarthy for his goal.

Overall an enjoyable evening, although it was disappointing that until they had the keeper sent off it looked like there was only 1 side who wanted to win. A case of them thinking they only needed to turn up and they'd go through I think...

For me, I was on Keith Andrews watch and before I move onto the game here is a summary of his performance tonight.

Andrews came on as a second half sub! :s Edit - was that supposed to be humour?!?! :wacko: haha! I thought he looked ok when he came on - was unlucky not to score which the shot that the keeper beat away.

• Backroom

Just got back. We looked dodgy at the back for most of the first half with a lot of that coming from standing off the opposition too much. I've noticed this a lot recently - we need to close down much quicker as teams are having the freedom to pick and choose passes.

A few player comments :

Brown - Kicking is poor - took him 3 or 4 goal kicks before he managed to get it past half way!

Salgado - grew into the game and looked very good going forward - scored a good goal.

Jones - Didnt look out of place and very promising for a 17 year old. Would be good to see him out on loan at a championship side where he could benefit from more game time.

Givet - Not much to say - usual steady performance.

Hoilet - skilful, maybe too late in releasing the ball at times, drifted in and out of the game. Not ready to start in the Premier League.

Reid - Decent game - up and down and kept things simple. Had 70 min before going off. Went straight down the tunnel tho - hope it was just a toilet break! Think he did come back to the bench after a few min.

Emerton - Our best player and I was quite surprised the 'official' man of the match award went to the correct person for a change!

Pedersen - Typical Pedersen. Scored a screamer, hit at least 4 corners straight to the defender on the front post. General play was good but please sort the corners out!

McCarthy - Good game, obvious premiership class. Big decisions coming whether to play him or Dunn.

Kalinic - Missed a couple of headers in the first half which he should have done better with, constantly made runs and wanted the ball but rarely received the pass. When he finally did get a touch he beat his man before playing a good ball to McCarthy for his goal.

Overall an enjoyable evening, although it was disappointing that until they had the keeper sent off it looked like there was only 1 side who wanted to win. A case of them thinking they only needed to turn up and they'd go through I think...

I think that position is perfect for him, shame for him that Dunny has been playing so well (not so much tonight he was sloppy when he came on)

Gotta ask those that went - how did Kalanic play ? On the radio it sounded like he had a reasonable match. No Alan Shearer - but hard working and showing promise. The guy on radio lancs remarked that he looked the type of player that if he got one could well gone on a goal scoring run. Any thoughts appreciated.

I think that position is perfect for him, shame for him that Dunny has been playing so well (not so much tonight he was sloppy when he came on)

And I thought it was just Flu he had :lol:

Gotta ask those that went - how did Kalanic play ? On the radio it sounded like he had a reasonable match. No Alan Shearer - but hard working and showing promise. The guy on radio lancs remarked that he looked the type of player that if he got one could well gone on a goal scoring run. Any thoughts appreciated.

And I thought it was just Flu he had :lol:

Try looking in the Kalanic thread.

never heard one.....

There was loads of booing from what appeared to be the more central areas of the BBE when Andrews came on, and a smaller amount whilst he was on. In particular some pillocks not far from you Abbs, when he took a shot were booing him, only to start cheering when they thought he might have scored.

I enjoyed that game in the end. Typical of Rovers to let Peterborough score two easy goals when a bit of decent defending would have stopped them.

Big things our of this match? Nelsen came on and bossed the back line. Nothing got past and he was genuine quality in defence. Dunn and Andrews spent most of the last 15 passing the ball around for fun.

Junior, sometimes frustratingly awful and othertimes excellent. In and out for him but a good work out. Definitely one for the future.

Pedersen, somewhere near his best form in years. Still buggers up corners at times but the free kick and his work rate was first-class.

Salgado, what a run and goal! A fabulous ball by Emerton over the top and a superb finish. He played very well.

Givet, hmm, ok but not great. Nelly came on and showed how it should be done.

Jones, ok for the young man. Couldn't fault him really.

Ollson, excellent game I thought. Linked very well with Pedersen and won the 5th with a good run and cross.

Brown, had little to do but his kicking is poo at times.

Reid, ok first game back. Not a lot to say, scored his pen (it was decided he would be taking the first BEFORE the match and Benny the second).

Emerton, ok from him too. Showed great vision at times, the aforementioned pass to Salgado was sublime.

Benni, he worked hard. Showed quality and finished his chance superbly. Impressed with his performance.

Kalinic, looks like he's bulked up and is stronger and more composed. Took his pen pretty well although on another day it may well have been saved. Fair enough performance with more to come I suspect.

I'll probably review this tomorrow... :)

I enjoyed that game in the end. Typical of Rovers to let Peterborough score two easy goals when a bit of decent defending would have stopped them.

Big things our of this match? Nelsen came on and bossed the back line. Nothing got past and he was genuine quality in defence. Dunn and Andrews spent most of the last 15 passing the ball around for fun.

Junior, sometimes frustratingly awful and othertimes excellent. In and out for him but a good work out. Definitely one for the future.

Pedersen, somewhere near his best form in years. Still buggers up corners at times but the free kick and his work rate was first-class.

Salgado, what a run and goal! A fabulous ball by Emerton over the top and a superb finish. He played very well.

Givet, hmm, ok but not great. Nelly came on and showed how it should be done.

Jones, ok for the young man. Couldn't fault him really.

Ollson, excellent game I thought. Linked very well with Pedersen and won the 5th with a good run and cross.

Brown, had little to do but his kicking is poo at times.

Reid, ok first game back. Not a lot to say, scored his pen (it was decided he would be taking the first BEFORE the match and Benny the second).

Emerton, ok from him too. Showed great vision at times, the aforementioned pass to Salgado was sublime.

Benni, he worked hard. Showed quality and finished his chance superbly. Impressed with his performance.

Kalinic, looks like he's bulked up and is stronger and more composed. Took his pen pretty well although on another day it may well have been saved. Fair enough performance with more to come I suspect.

I'll probably review this tomorrow... :)

The three young lads arent good enough Ollson, Hoilett and Jones. You're being far, far, far too kind on these lads.

did eney 1 see big sam at the game tonite <_< ????????????

Up in the Jack Walker next to John Williams I think. He usually sits there first half and comes down for the second but he stayed in the stand all night. Looked like him from the Riverside anyway...!

The three young lads arent good enough Ollson, Hoilett and Jones. You're being far, far, far too kind on these lads.

I think these three lads have great potential.

Olsson has pace, is a good crosser of the ball and likes to attack players by running at them. I still believe that left-side of midfield is his best position - this is where he has played in the reserves for much of the time.

Hoilett needs to improve the defensive aspects of his game but is an exciting talent.

Jones was playing in the Academy last season and has been fast tracked up to the first team. He was excellent at Nottingham Forest but, like all youngsters, will have dips in form.

These are the best three youngsters that the club possesses and hopefully they will establish themselves in time. At the moment all three are still learning the game.

What are you basing this on? Just wondering, (Aimed at JAL)

Oh and Sam was watching from the stands the entire game, not sure why,but McDonald also spoke to Radio Rovers before hand.

Their performances tonight, the mistakes or weaknesses in their game versus whats expected of them to improve the probability of Rovers getting a result against the big boys in the premiership.

Hoilett lost possesion for the first goal when the cross came in Olsson didnt put it out of play, result goal to the posh, you cant have that on a regular basis in the prem.

The ball went through Jones legs for the second he then lost his bearings allowing a psoh player a free shot a goal as Givet had been committed to his original mistake. Just a couple of many many mistakes tonight.

Their performances tonight, the mistakes or weaknesses in their game versus whats expected of them to improve the probability of Rovers getting a result against the big boys in the premiership.

Hoilett lost possesion for the first goal when the cross came in Olsson didnt put it out of play, result goal to the posh, you cant have that on a regular basis in the prem.

The ball went through Jones legs for the second he then lost his bearings allowing a psoh player a free shot a goal as Givet had been committed to his original mistake. Just a couple of many many mistakes tonight.

Fair enough we are entitled to our own opinions. I personally don't think Olsson will ever make it as a Left back, but maybe as a winger, tonight was the worst game I've seen Junior play (this was the 4th time) as for Jones he is still just 17 and I think he does have the potential to be a regular in years to come.

I thought the turning point in tonight's game was the introduction of Nelsen during the second half. He immediately organised the defence and put in some solid tackles - which had been needed all night. He remains one of our better defenders and I think tonight merely underlined his value to the team - which is often overlooked.

What are you basing this on? Just wondering, (Aimed at JAL)

Oh and Sam was watching from the stands the entire game, not sure why,but McDonald also spoke to Radio Rovers before hand.

Sam is apparently feeling a bit ill....

Ignore JAL. its not worth it. He's trying to be provocative and is enticing you into an argument you cant win. Same for the people who have been bashing Kalinic.

Good win tonight, glad Sam played 2 up front. Hope Benni keeps his spot for the weekend.

Come on JAL Jones is 17 and has played 2 senior games and has been good in both of those, to say he's not good enough is harsh.

True, hes only 17, looked a little bit nervy tonight i'm sure in three years time we will see a more confident lad looking more assured, of the three Jones i'll concede I maybe a bit hasty with but not the other two.

I thought the turning point in tonight's game was the introduction of Nelsen during the second half. He immediately organised the defence and put in some solid tackles - which had been needed all night. He remains one of our better defenders and I think tonight merely underlined his value to the team - which is often overlooked.

He certainly did, but its that crucial slpit second lack of pace needed for the prem is were he'll be found out.

There are a lot of kind remarks. I thought we were awful pretty much throughout. Lacking movement effort skill. This is Posh from the ass end of the championship. A team reduced to 10 men and we allowed them 2-2.

First goal, Hoilet trying to be to clever ended up in a tackle he bottled. He then didn't chase the player down who swung a great cross to the back post where Jones and Givet were two on two. Hoillet had a mare all game however players who show fear and bottle tackles aren't good enough.

Selgado, the goal excepted had a stinker. The wide player had him in his back pocket it was embarrassing. Selgado didn't know how to tackle him and ended up making some awful and pitiful challenges. I cringed all evening.

Reid was decent and head a shoulders above most cept Emo who was class in CM. Ran the game. The one plAyer who clearly had more skill, better fitness, greater strength and vision. Brown had little to do. Givet and Peds were usual. Ollson whom I like was rash, long long way of Prem. Jones was rash and very loose getting caught ou of position frequently. Disapointed. He had a god game at Stanley.

Kalinic was rank. Where do you start??? Lazy for one. Made no runs and had Dunn screaming at him. No idea how to find goalscoring positions. Awful

touch and so left footed he is nearly always off balence. Was easily outjumped on every header, looked like headers aren't his game.Did anyone else notice he took the pen with his right?

Mcacartthy played Dunns role but fat 40 and past it he might has well be. I'd put bisto gravy on the ball, he might just run quicker: run at all would be a start! Andrews was pants when he cake on.

There are a lot of kind remarks. I thought we were awful pretty much throughout. Lacking movement effort skill. This is Posh from the ass end of the championship. A team reduced to 10 men and we allowed them 2-2.

First goal, Hoilet trying to be to clever ended up in a tackle he bottled. He then didn't chase the player down who swung a great cross to the back post where Jones and Givet were two on two. Hoillet had a mare all game however players who show fear and bottle tackles aren't good enough.

Selgado, the goal excepted had a stinker. The wide player had him in his back pocket it was embarrassing. Selgado didn't know how to tackle him and ended up making some awful and pitiful challenges. I cringed all evening.

Reid was decent and head a shoulders above most cept Emo who was class in CM. Ran the game. The one plAyer who clearly had more skill, better fitness, greater strength and vision. Brown had little to do. Givet and Peds were usual. Ollson whom I like was rash, long long way of Prem. Jones was rash and very loose getting caught ou of position frequently. Disapointed. He had a god game at Stanley.

Kalinic was rank. Where do you start??? Lazy for one. Made no runs and had Dunn screaming at him. No idea how to find goalscoring positions. Awful

touch and so left footed he is nearly always off balence. Was easily outjumped on every header, looked like headers aren't his game.Did anyone else notice he took the pen with his right?

Mcacartthy played Dunns role but fat 40 and past it he might has well be. I'd put bisto gravy on the ball, he might just run quicker: run at all would be a start! Andrews was pants when he cake on.

Are you kidding? The Kalinic part is especially crap, can't believe I wasted time reading that.

Archived