BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Di Santo -

Hughesy

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you really judge strikers though at this moment in time? especially when you consider the lack of creative quality we have in this side. Players like Di Santo and Kalinic would be licking their lips if they had an inform Bentley on the right wing putting balls into the box.

Unbelievable how bad we are in that department at the moment.

Can you really judge strikers though at this moment in time? especially when you consider the lack of creative quality we have in this side. Players like Di Santo and Kalinic would be licking their lips if they had an inform Bentley on the right wing putting balls into the box.

Unbelievable how bad we are in that department at the moment.

Exactly. I think we're well stocked up-front, and if we had more than one creative player I'm sure they'd be eating up the chances. As it is, they're under pressure to take every scrap they can muster.

I also find it strange that Di Santo is still spearheading our attack when we have £6m worth of talent keeping the bench warm every week. If Kalinic isn't ready now, when will he be?

Di Santo would have to beg us to stay though, because he is nowhere near a quality player right now. Has cost us 5 points in the last 2 games with his misses. Chelsea can have him.

Agreed players costing upwards of £3 million plus aged 20 should get us 20 PL goals a season... I'll have some of what you are smoking :blink:

• Backroom

Exactly. I think we're well stocked up-front, and if we had more than one creative player I'm sure they'd be eating up the chances. As it is, they're under pressure to take every scrap they can muster.

I also find it strange that Di Santo is still spearheading our attack when we have £6m worth of talent keeping the bench warm every week. If Kalinic isn't ready now, when will he be?

Lack of supply can't be blamed for everything though, I can think of 4 guilt edge chances that he's missed now when through on goal. If it was Roberts there wou;d be loads of posts on here about it.

He's a good foil for a natural goalscorer but on current form is not worth £7m for a team that would struggle to afford it.

Still worries me that with four weeks left on his loan we are "preparing" this chelsea youngster to return to the bridge with something in the region of 1000 minutes of premier league action with 1 goal currently.

Yet our 6m signing has yet to play a full 90 minutes of premier league action, di santo for all his flair, speed and work rate he does not seem to have an eye for goal at all, hes had two gilt edged 1 on 1 in the first five minutes in the last two games and blown them both straight at the keeper, both goals would have made a world of difference in both games.

Its time to stop giving another clubs youngster valuable premier league experience at the detriment to belly and niko who are both going to have to step up come jan... especially if like di santo its going to take another 1000 minutes to "get up to speed" and get one goal.

I have this fear the loan condition was has to be in the first team squad or has to start the game....

I can think of two other reasons. First, Sam wants to keep Kalinic fit for the second half of the season. So he's training him up, giving him some game time to get his feet wet, but he's letting Di Santo (still a Chelsea player in the end) take all the knocks as the lone man upfront. With luck, Sam can improve the squad in January, we'll find some players who can provide service, and Kalinic will come roaring out of the gate.

Second, the club is keeping its word. We asked for Di Santo on loan and was given him without a fee. Chelsea benefitted as we promised that Di Santo would get bucket loads of game time. We have to keep our end of the deal so next time we propose it, either to Chelsea or some other club, they'll know that we'll follow through.

He's young and he'll improve. I'd rather have Di Santo than not.

Exactly. He's going to be a very good target man for some team down the line. He's not the most instinctive finisher, but he's still a ten goal a season striker with good service. More importantly he's a great foil for a goal scorer - big, strong, quick, clever, hard working, good in the air, good first touch etc etc.

Sadly at the moment he's stuck upfront on his own or with Roberts.....which is the same as being stuck upfront on your own.

Lack of supply can't be blamed for everything though, I can think of 4 guilt edge chances that he's missed now when through on goal. If it was Roberts there wou;d be loads of posts on here about it.

That's true but he's a young lad, under a lot of pressure, having to grab slim pickings. That's why his missed chances are under greater scrutiny. He's not exactly missing hatfuls every week.

I can think of two other reasons. First, Sam wants to keep Kalinic fit for the second half of the season. So he's training him up, giving him some game time to get his feet wet, but he's letting Di Santo (still a Chelsea player in the end) take all the knocks as the lone man upfront. With luck, Sam can improve the squad in January, we'll find some players who can provide service, and Kalinic will come roaring out of the gate.

Perhaps, but I wonder why we can't have the best of both worlds and blood Di Santo and Kalinic TOGETHER. It can't be doing much for Kalinic's confidence that misfiring strikers such as Di Santo & Roberts are consistently chosen ahead of him?

Do Rovers coach Di Santo in the knowledge that hes not a Rovers player ?

If they do, I hope they coach one v ones and show him how to round the goalie or kid the goalie into getting the keeper to show the space so that he can put the ball into the net.

Three times now hes done the same thing which has been easy for the keeeper the young lad needs variation on his finishing.

Perhaps, but I wonder why we can't have the best of both worlds and blood Di Santo and Kalinic TOGETHER. It can't be doing much for Kalinic's confidence that misfiring strikers such as Di Santo & Roberts are consistently chosen ahead of him?

I'm currently reading a very good book called the "History of Football Tactics." The author stated that Alf Ramsey would frequently play ineffective formations, when the game was not critical, to hide his strongest formations from the opposition. I'm likely overly optimistic, and dreaming/deluded, but maybe Sam's doing the same? Both to keep his hand hidden from other teams for the last half of the season and to keep Di Santo's price down?

I say the thread is re-named, "Lets make excuses for Di Santo"...

He works hard and puts himself about abit but i really fail to see why people think he is such a great player in the making. He is average and we are about his level, i find the 7million price tag a complete joke, infact id be hard pushed to pay half that.

Complain about his lack of service etc but there is nobody to blame bar himself when he misses a one on one. If it would of been Roberts he would of been slaughtered. <_<

He works hard and puts himself about abit but i really fail to see why people think he is such a great player in the making. He is average and we are about his level, i find the 7million price tag a complete joke, infact id be hard pushed to pay half that.

Complain about his lack of service etc but there is nobody to blame bar himself when he misses a one on one.

Stoke's Whitehead missed a one on one against Robinson in the first half and a clear chance from a second half cross. Whithead has had nearly 200 EPL games. Di Santo has had what, 10-20? Give the kid a break. He was obviously doing his job in the box, with the fouls the Stoke players had to heap on him to keep him contained. And Sorenson was having an outstanding game.

As to the price, I thought Nicko posted that Chelsea wanted 7 million, but might go for as little as half of that. Anything between 3-5 million I would count as a bargain.

Lets look at it this way. How many shots/chances has Di Santo had all season? I would like stats. I believe people are exaggerating his lack of goal scoring. He had a couple of good chances, but the keepers pulled off good saves on both occasions in the last couple of games, and you can tell he isnt confident in those situations yet.

He is good enough at leading the line but needs a scorer next to him, someone like lets say Benni or Kalinic. Wish we had one of them in our squad. Oh wait.

I'm currently reading a very good book called the "History of Football Tactics." The author stated that Alf Ramsey would frequently play ineffective formations, when the game was not critical, to hide his strongest formations from the opposition. I'm likely overly optimistic, and dreaming/deluded, but maybe Sam's doing the same? Both to keep his hand hidden from other teams for the last half of the season and to keep Di Santo's price down?

Thats Ok if we were the same team as in the 90's but given our current status I'd hope we weren't doing that as we can't afford to drop points if we wish to avoid a scrap like last year.

Lets look at it this way. How many shots/chances has Di Santo had all season? I would like stats. I believe people are exaggerating his lack of goal scoring. He had a couple of good chances, but the keepers pulled off good saves on both occasions in the last couple of games, and you can tell he isnt confident in those situations yet.

He is good enough at leading the line but needs a scorer next to him, someone like lets say Benni or Kalinic. Wish we had one of them in our squad. Oh wait.

I saw Di Santo a few times last year and as I said before he came he's got potential. He scored was it 17 in 19 in the reserves last year and I know he can finish. Yes he's missed a few 1 on 1's but I know he's got it in his locker he desperatly needs a finisher with him as you say, to take some of the attention off him. Its such a pity he can't play against Chelsea as if we're being honest its on of the games we've written off and so playing them together would have been an option, one I'm dead keen to see.

Yep, I cannot believe that none of Kalinic, Van Heerden, or Salgado are ready for any time on the pitch. I am thinking the management are being too cautious and dont want to let go of the old guard when the RESULTS havent been that bad. They might be thinking why change it if it isnt broke.

Sam for the most part has not put his faith in youth during his managerial career. I had really hoped he buck that trend with us and our financially constraints, but I just don't see it at present.

Hoillet and Kali along with Di Santo are the 3 I really thought would push into the team this year and give us what we have lacked for years creativity and pace. At the end of the day I just don't see it happening at present and believe he'll stick with the tried and tested. Trouble is the tried and tested are not up to scratch and some are shadows of their former selfs and flatter to deceive.

If they are thinking if it ain't broke and the such then fine, but for me I'd always be looking for that little bit more and planning for the future and the likes of Hoillet, Kali, N'zonzi, Jones and hopefully Di Santo are that future. Trouble is at this rate they will never be ready. Game experience is essential to the development of players and the reserves will never give them the level of it that they need.

Stoke's Whitehead missed a one on one against Robinson in the first half and a clear chance from a second half cross. Whithead has had nearly 200 EPL games. Di Santo has had what, 10-20? Give the kid a break. He was obviously doing his job in the box, with the fouls the Stoke players had to heap on him to keep him contained. And Sorenson was having an outstanding game.

Both attempts by Whitehead and Di Santo were not missed as much as saved by excellent goalkeeping imo.

just laughing at the thread in which someone says give him time and the goals will come.haha what four weeks?

i know he works hard and like people say hes a good target man but wonder if derbs would have scored more than one at this time of year in the blue and white?

Complain about his lack of service etc but there is nobody to blame bar himself when he misses a one on one. If it would of been Roberts he would of been slaughtered. <_<

The £7m tag is high, but the lad does have potential. M. Jansen wasnt that brilliant when he first came, in fact Matty was pretty dire for the first TWO seasons then look how e progressed.

He has good pace with excellent movement, this has shown by playing himself alone up front in many games, a big ask for someone so young.

Archived