BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Di Santo -

Hughesy

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a bloody sharp two-edged sword, is this. If Chelsea will sell, and it is a big if;

Sign him now and run a risk of him not finding his niche and being deemed a waste of cash come the end of the season.

Don't sign him, have him on trial, and he plays well and we are outbid! Furthermore, this may have, in the meantime, alienated BigMac and hindered Nik's introduction, for no long-term return.

Personally, I'm certain this lad will do the business and would just love an extended trial with buyout option, but as this would be as unlikely as Jason Roberts leading the list of top 10 premier goalscorers come the end of the season, what do you folk think?

• Backroom

I'd buy him at around £4million I think, seems about fair although maybe on the high side, I want to see what him and Kalinic can do together (not in a homerotic way)

CMONbobbie rovers or everton mmmm lets see. :unsure:

Might sound a bit far fetched but I wonder if last night has worked in our favour on this score. He already likes it here (supposedly) and he has now seen what we are capable of.

It's a bloody sharp two-edged sword, is this. If Chelsea will sell, and it is a big if;

Sign him now and run a risk of him not finding his niche and being deemed a waste of cash come the end of the season.

Don't sign him, have him on trial, and he plays well and we are outbid! Furthermore, this may have, in the meantime, alienated BigMac and hindered Nik's introduction, for no long-term return.

Personally, I'm certain this lad will do the business and would just love an extended trial with buyout option, but as this would be as unlikely as Jason Roberts leading the list of top 10 premier goalscorers come the end of the season, what do you folk think?

Sorry Jackson, but I cant see how signing Di Santo would be a waste of money, no matter how many one on ones he misses. This lad is perfect for Rovers.

Why because he can score a 3 yard header and run around alot?

Im sure we can pick up Dickov on the cheap again...

Usual thing with fans in the country tho, players with skill and technique are overshadowed by players who can run all day. <_<

Di Santo HAS skill and technique.

Many are praising Hoilett last night but he couldnt even get his shots on target, I know who i'd be picking first.

Who is comparing the two bar you?

Which one do we own?

Which one is apparently worth 4million?

He could be a good player in the future im not denying it. But we took a massive gamble on Niko, Di Santo is just as big a gamble. Out of our 4 strikers he would be joint 3rd in the list as Benni and Roberts are better players / better combination.

I still don't get the Mccarthy hatred. Last night, despite being caught constantly offside (as usual) he was obviously the most gifted striker we have. Kalinic has very little ability with his head and overall is weak when running with the ball. I'm all up for seeing Di Santo and Kalinic playing together but to me in a one on one situation or in any good chance, I'd want to see Mccarthy on the end of it.

Who is comparing the two bar you?

Which one do we own?

Which one is apparently worth 4million?

He could be a good player in the future im not denying it. But we took a massive gamble on Niko, Di Santo is just as big a gamble. Out of our 4 strikers he would be joint 3rd in the list as Benni and Roberts are better players / better combination.

We took a similar gamble on Bentley, and that worked out well for a little while.

I still don't get the Mccarthy hatred. Last night, despite being caught constantly offside (as usual) he was obviously the most gifted striker we have. Kalinic has very little ability with his head and overall is weak when running with the ball. I'm all up for seeing Di Santo and Kalinic playing together but to me in a one on one situation or in any good chance, I'd want to see Mccarthy on the end of it.

Totally agree, MaCarthy is our best goalscorer no doubt about it, in Kalinic and Di Santo they are the future though along with Hoilett possibly.

If Rovers could keep these three and move Jason out for Heskey then this for me that would be a massive plus to the squad.

NICKO - Any news on an extension to his loan/ a permanent deal?!

It's down to Chelsea to say if they are willing to let him go...and that depends on them making a signing of their own. There may some news on the Chelsea signing front soon. If not, then this will drag which is no good for anyone.

Nobody seems to have mentioned that the kid Sturridge was not even in the squad the other night. What happened to him?

Hopefully there will be an answer on this soon. If Franco isn't staying then you need someone else.

Kalinic looked like a player for the first time the other night, but you would not want to rely on him and the hit-and-miss Benni and Jason Roberts in the second half of the season.

Di Santo at a sensible price would be the best option all round.

Di Santo is a quality player who works hard and leads the line well, much as I like him, for me a Centre forward/Striker/target man should have a reasonable percentage of goals and that worries me, without that a defender can stand off him and let the team pick up the knockdowns etc. he has great technical ability, pace, good in the air and I would expect someone with so much in his box to score more than he does!!

Maybe its his age and in time will score more frequently, but can we afford to wait?

Injured pride, I think.

I'm coming to the conclusion that Sturridge is turning into a nearly man who will never realise his full potential. Another Jenas / Dyer / Bentley type, plenty of talent but none of the necessary burning desire to match.

He'll come to regret it when it's too late. Football's full of em.

Di Santo is a quality player who works hard and leads the line well, much as I like him, for me a Centre forward/Striker/target man should have a reasonable percentage of goals and that worries me, without that a defender can stand off him and let the team pick up the knockdowns etc. he has great technical ability, pace, good in the air and I would expect someone with so much in his box to score more than he does!!

Maybe its his age and in time will score more frequently, but can we afford to wait?

Most definitely.

Hes got so many attributes to his game but his speed has been the one that has suprised me most of all.

Di Santo is a true team player one that any team would want. That block on the edge of our penalty area when Gerrard was shooting was worth his place on that pitch yesterday .

Goals for Di Santo will come with the workrate hes putting in, for now we'll just have to be patient.

I'm coming to the conclusion that Sturridge is turning into a nearly man who will never realise his full potential. Another Jenas / Dyer / Bentley type, plenty of talent but none of the necessary burning desire to match.

He'll come to regret it when it's too late. Football's full of em.

I agree. It seems these (usually English) players get a big head on, engineer a move to 'big' club and then sink without trace. Walcott could be in danger of being another former superstar in the making. English players seem to have this ego when they get rated by the press, and lose that desire.

Some players are natural finishers, some aren't. Time will tell if he is one or not. He doesn't seem to have that essential singlemindedness at the moment.

Slight contradiction in terms there?

If he was a natural finisher, Shirly that would be clear by now.

I really wanted to like him but as a striker we need someone of capable of putting goals away and he has had ample time to do that. I cannot help but feel that a naturally gifted striker would have buried half of the chances he has had. Sure, he has pace and ability but playing in that part of the field, you need an end product.

It will all come down to price. I think anything more than 3m for a young and unproven striker should be considered obscene though.

I really wanted to like him but as a striker we need someone of capable of putting goals away and he has had ample time to do that. I cannot help but feel that a naturally gifted striker would have buried half of the chances he has had. Sure, he has pace and ability but playing in that part of the field, you need an end product.

It will all come down to price. I think anything more than 3m for a young and unproven striker should be considered obscene though.

But there is potential - we can see that. Put it this way, if he was already a Rovers player and someone came in and offered £3m for him, I know I would be insulted.

Archived