BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Di Santo -

Hughesy

• Backroom

This is the kind of thing that works well for Rovers and young players, we sign relatively cheap they make a name for themselves and get the move they want, we make a profit.

In an ideal world we keep our stars but those days are gone it would seem.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been said previously, but playing as a lone striker is all about holding the ball up and team play. You can't expect the forward to then get in too many goal scoring positions.

Di Santo is clearly a class act if he is available at £3.5 mill. It's a bargain!

We Rovers fans want it all ways don't we? We discuss seriously the prospects of getting Di Santo for 3.5M but how much would we demand for Benni aged 31/2? 3.5M! We'd also expect 3M for Pedersen and 2.5M for Andrews!

I bet 6-7M for Di Santo( with clauses) is way more realistic. I'd still want us to buy him.

What i can't understand is why he seems so happy here. Its great to hear, but i just wonder why.

For his career to progress at club level as well as international level he needs to prove himself and Chelsea cannot afford to give him that opportunity. Chelsea was a lucrative gamble that did not pay off and his career is treading water. He and his agent will have realised this and will be desperate for BRFC to provide him with a springboard back to the big time. All he needs to do is play regularly and most importantly score goals and it will be job done.

I also wonder if it's the lifestyle up here. Not every player wants the big city lights and I think being up here allows your head to be a lot clearer what with all our open fields... and stuff.

Yeah right.... and I bet he's got his name down for No1 Deansgate as we speak. :rolleyes:

• Backroom

We Rovers fans want it all ways don't we? We discuss seriously the prospects of getting Di Santo for 3.5M but how much would we demand for Benni aged 31/2? 3.5M! We'd also expect 3M for Pedersen and 2.5M for Andrews!

I bet 6-7M for Di Santo( with clauses) is way more realistic. I'd still want us to buy him.

???

People are only using that fee because Nicko suggested it could be that low.

Di Santo's one on one miss today raises a few questions for me. He's undoubtedly very very talented, but to justify the amount of money being suggested, a club like Rovers need to be getting someone who finishes those chances. He's yet to prove that side of his game exists.

Di Santo's one on one miss today raises a few questions for me. He's undoubtedly very very talented, but to justify the amount of money being suggested, a club like Rovers need to be getting someone who finishes those chances. He's yet to prove that side of his game exists.

The only thing I'll say about it is it was a very good save. Yes he should have scored it but I think he is still worth it. I think he will score those given a bit more time. Regular games and regular appearances will help him immensely.

I'm inclined to agree with you Ivan - good save but Franco should have given him no chance from that range.

Also agree that in time he'll start to stick those away, but Chelsea will want a decent chunk now. It's a gamble.

Hes the legs of the forwards, no questions from me I'd suggest Di Santo is very similar to Bentley when he first joined one or two fans wonder what he Bentley was about at the time.

This young lad Di Santo is going to grow and grow providing he avoids serious injury.

• Backroom

Kind of glad he didn't score to be honest, every goal he gets between now and Jan could mean more money or possibly even no sale.

Rather he queitly went about setting others up for us for now.

In the first half he had two runs, was resulted in a shot being deflected wide, the other was for the goal, it was a good showing from him I thought.

'Good' is also excessive. There wasn't a finish, he failed to score a one on one, and any attempt on goal in that scenario which is saved is poor finishing.

Where would you have aimed Shillito as a matter of interest?

One on one and especially close in is frequently the hardest situation of all to score from. Justi had charged out to cover the goal and Di Santo's only option was to dink the ball over the keeper or try to slide it under him. Performing the latter is hit and hope and doing the former is certainly not a gimme when the ball is moving forwards at any speed.

Just as an aside in thge past how many really top class strikers playing for top 4 clubs have we seen Brad Freidel thwart in similar situations? He was the best that I have seen in 1 on 1's.

I think it's more a maturity thing than anything else. He is a really good player and this is reflected in his all round play. However, he seemed to snatch at the one-on-one and hit it straight down the keeper's throat. With time and experience I'm sure that he will develop the compsure and mental toughness required to bury those chances. But I guess time will tell. He's certainly not from the Jason Roberts school of finishing, anyway!

I'm inclined to agree with you Ivan - good save but Franco should have given him no chance from that range.

Also agree that in time he'll start to stick those away, but Chelsea will want a decent chunk now. It's a gamble.

It's a bit of catch 22 though isn't it...every goal Franco scores from now until January will just serve to push up his price.

In a very strange way, it might be better if we can win games without him scoring...the fact that he was clever enough to make the run and take a wonderful first touch to set himself up for the shot showed his quality - goals will come to him eventually I feel.

Where does it matter where I would have aimed, I'm not a good finisher?

Just wondering if you've ever been in that position. It's not easy. I can assure you that Justi's intention would have been to make himself look big and cover the goal. Saying that Di santo has not been prolific but taking that instance is an unfair criticism imo.

btw I saw a number of one on one's missed this weekend. Culprits included Defoe and Owen, do you class them as poor finishers?

From what I have seen of Di Santo I would not have any worries about him scoring quite regularly when he is older. His game will all come together at some point and he will start to score regularly. He isn't a natural goal scorer like Shearer or Fowler were but neither is Drogba and he has made a good career for himself.

I'd rather Di Santo doesn't score too many for now so the price is better for us. If we can sign him permanently I think he will be a big asset for us.

Just wondering if you've ever been in that position. It's not easy. I can assure you that Justi's intention would have been to make himself look big and cover the goal. Saying that Di santo has not been prolific but taking that instance is an unfair criticism imo.

btw I saw a number of one on one's missed this weekend. Culprits included Defoe and Owen, do you class them as poor finishers?

No as I've seen them score hundreds of one on ones. I've also seen them score hundreds of variations of goal. The only kind I've seen Di Santo score is a header into a open goal from three yards.

And yes I have been in that position, and yes it is difficult. However, the fact he missed wouldn't really be a concern had he shown he could bang them in at a decent rate. As good as his all round game is, he hasn't proved himself even to be an average goalscorer as of yet.

No as I've seen them score hundreds of one on ones. I've also seen them score hundreds of variations of goal. The only kind I've seen Di Santo score is a header into a open goal from three yards.

And yes I have been in that position, and yes it is difficult. However, the fact he missed wouldn't really be a concern had he shown he could bang them in at a decent rate. As good as his all round game is, he hasn't proved himself even to be an average goalscorer as of yet.

I dont think anyone can argue that he's going to be an average goalscorer or any better just yet. All i know is that yesterday yet again he outshone Roberts by a margin. The fact that he is 20 and showing Roberts/McCarthy how to lead the line, is enough to prove to me at least that he's going to be a big deal. Against Burnley he showed how good he can be and yesterday he pretty much set Dunn up for his goal. If we could keep this kid it would be a fantastic move.

As somebody said in the match thread, his body language was all wrong when he went through one on one. He didn't look composed at all. I think it's time to give McCarthy or Kalinic a run of games with Di Santo rather than Roberts. I'd much prefer Di Santo to be doing the donkey work than Roberts and then it would free up a place for somebody who is a natural finisher.

Granted our service to the strikers should be the number one priority, but you can't help but feel at the minute that with a partnership of Di Santo and Roberts the one chance you're going to get they're going to miss it.

Personally I think its time to try Kalinic and Di Santo together. Roberts for all his attributes just moans all the time and then refs will never give it our way. Benni is by far our best finisher, but he wants out and clubs know what he can do so selling him shouldn't be too much of an issue.

We desperately need goals at the current rate we will struggle to have a striker how can reach double figures, and I'm sure Sam knows what that stat can mean. Play the two kids stick Dunny in behind them and lets have real go at Stoke and see what they can do.

Archived