BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Di Santo -

Hughesy

Personally I think its time to try Kalinic and Di Santo together. Roberts for all his attributes just moans all the time and then refs will never give it our way. Benni is by far our best finisher, but he wants out and clubs know what he can do so selling him shouldn't be too much of an issue.

We desperately need goals at the current rate we will struggle to have a striker how can reach double figures, and I'm sure Sam knows what that stat can mean. Play the two kids stick Dunny in behind them and lets have real go at Stoke and see what they can do.

Sounds good to me. I think they would complement each other well, with Di Santo's hard work and Kalinic's quality. They're also hungry and have a lot to prove (not just to Rovers). We always have Benni & Roberts as impact subs, should the need arise (arguably Roberts' best role, but he thinks he's above that :P).

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds good to me. I think they would complement each other well, with Di Santo's hard work and Kalinic's quality. They're also hungry and have a lot to prove (not just to Rovers). We always have Benni & Roberts as impact subs, should the need arise (arguably Roberts' best role, but he thinks he's above that :P).

I think also that they would be a good combo, both are reasonably quick, Di Santo is more creative and Kali has shown in the games he's played internationally he can score. The other two well, yes Benni's clinical but only when he wants and from what little I saw of him last night, well he's too unpredictable as to how he will perform. I've never rated Roberts he's not my idea of a footballer he's a battering ram with about as much technical ability as bag of cement.

I saw Di santo a few times last year and I'm sure he'll start scoring soon, but as with all kids he just needs a bit of luck to get going and a consistent role and regular partner something we are yet to give him, how is he meant to settle when we chop and change to the degree we do.

Kalinic, well he's been here months now and if he's not ready yet physically as we are always told then sack the fitness coach because that excuse is no longer valid, if we can't bulk him up in that sort of time, questions should be asked. He got himself about a bit last night, so lets give him a chance. Tell him he's in for the next few games and lets see what happens.

Roberts to come of the bench should we need as your right he's an impact player and its high time he figured it out. Scores when coming of the bech as he's fresh and his pace and strength then become a serious issue for tired defenders. Instead he'll moan and whinge as always, he must be great to have around the training ground, whinging all the time like a big Jessie.

I really think our front three should be

---------Dunn--------

--Kalinic----Di Santo--

Whether with wingers or 3 central players, those three have a lot of potential and with us lacking creativity we must not let Dunn be so deep, he's at his best in the hole so we must ensure at all costs he's there. If it means a 3 which I think it would then play Salgado RB (again told not ready physically and months later still not ready, WTF is going on) and move Chimbonda to left back as those two will get up and support from wide.

There is a combination of players and positions at our club that will win games, we just haven't found it yet, but its definitly there. Stoke for me if all are fit.

-------------Robbo------------

Salgado--Samba--Givet---Chimbonda

---Emerton--N'Zonzi--Grella---

------------Dunn-----------------

------Kalinic----Di Santo-------

Last season, Benni and Roberts did enough to keep us up. They are not good enough for us to be top half, but together get sufficient goals.

The manager moved heaven and earth to sign 2 more strikers: a high profile loan and a big money (for us) man. Looked like the next generation, let's move on and up.

The manager has then done neither one thing nor t'other. He doesn't start Jase and Benni as a pairing (did they start against City?) but has not replaced their goals or goal threat. He doesn't start his new boys as a pairing either. We hvae changed from 2 up front, to lone striker back to 2 again.

Di Santo is getting the most starts of anyone but just isn't doing the business: one tap in by end Nov is not what was expected. Kalinic so far makes Grabbi look a steal.

I think we are in a mess up front

Kallanic has done nothing to warrant a starting place,

Kalinic has come on in games which were either already won or already lost, its hardly fair to say he's not warranted a starting place as who the hell can warrant one who hasnt played more then 10 minutes in the odd sub appearance. If he gets as much time up front as Di Santo and does just as little then fair enough but thats not been the case. Yesterday he looked sharper then Roberts and Di Santo and on that basis id like to see him get more game time against Stoke.

:rover: maybe thats his level,div 1 or 2 :mellow::brfcsmilie:

What about the perfectly good goal he got against Man Utd that should never have been disallowed? Does that mean his level is actually a top four or champions league side? No of course not just like its not league 1 or 2. The truth is we dont know just how good he is yet as we have seen very little of him, however the signs are fairly promising. Maybe you should give the young lad a chance and at least pretend you want our players to do well. Why wouldnt you? Surley not because he was signed by a manager you dont like, no one would be that petty would they?

What about the perfectly good goal he got against Man Utd that should never have been disallowed? Does that mean his level is actually top four side or champions league? No of course not just like its not league 1 or 2. The truth is we dont know just how good he is yet as we have seen very little of him, however the signs are fairly promising. Maybe you should give the young lad a chance and at least pretend you want our players to do well. Why wouldnt you? Surley not because he was signed by a manager you dont like, no one would be that petty would they?

It's waggy. Course he's that petty.

I would agree with everything there, but why exclude Jacobsen? He's done little wrong since he came. Unless he did something drastically wrong last night? (I wasnt at the game).

I'm just not convinced by him if I'm being honest especially when he under pressure in posession. Whilst all were hailing him in his first games I felt I saw him panic a bit when he was closed down. I think he's a good squad player but not quite starting material for me.

Honestly Di Santo would be a fool to go back to Chelsea. Yes he might get a number of games when Chelsea's African stars are away, and what then? The bench for another 1-2 seasons before he's sold? He's not going to get a better chance than Rovers, and it's up to him to force Chelsea to let him go at a reasonable price. It depends whether he wants to play football or get a big paycheck at a big club's bench. Which, unfortunately, too many are willing to do today.

I think Di Santo is on record that he wants to stay with the Rovers. I certainly want him to, as Kalinic and Di Santo could possibly be an effective strike team for the next decade.

But if Chelsea's management intends to bench him after January, as you have surmised, he'll have very little leverage as his post-January moral won't be much of a concern to them. But I suspect that Di Santo is too much of a professional to kick up a fuss, if Chelsea insists. The boy seems to have an appreciation of were his loyalties should lie, unlike a lot of players.

Effective for the next decade? If they are effective for one season they'll be separated by 'bigger' clubs.

There is that danger. But we can't build a team under the assumption that they'll all begone in 2 years. We have to stay positive. And there is also a prospect that Kalinic and Di Santo would stay. Dunn and Emerton are examples of 'good' players sticking with the club. Di Santo in particular seems like he might want a long term commitment so long as he plays. Players know the longer they play with the same group, the more effective they'll be as a team.

As Sam molds the club, getting rid of those who don't perform and bringing in those who do, we'll place higher on the table which means more revenue which means continued development. And even if Kalinic and Di Santo did eventually bolt, we'll make money on the sales and the investment into the club will continue.

Yes, we have. Doesn't change the fact that Dunn has been with the club around 9 years total, with an additional contract term being negotiated.

And Emerton has been here since 2003. And it looks like he'll be getting another contract and will be here longer yet.

It is possible to keep players long term. We should be building a team with that objective, even if we might not always be succesful. Which is one reason I think we should drop a half dozen or so player this January and summer, and bring in younger replacements on 4 year contracts. Coupled with the renewals of Dunn and Emerton, and Kalinic being just into his contract, we could have a good part of the squad playing together for the next 4 years, with additional time after that possible. It should do wonders for unit cohesion.

Also Dunn left because he'd fallen out with Souness. He's Rovers through and through and was delighted to come back.

Turning down the pigs' feet in to the bargain.

Dunn's an Academy product, on his day is our most creative player and like the man said is Rovers through and through. If we're not capable of showing HIM loyalty, what kind of message would that send out to the other players?

There is that danger.

It's not really a danger though, is it? We should sign Di Santo because at 21, he's already a good Premiership striker. He's not good enough to play for Chelsea at the moment in my opinion, but in two or three years time he'll be a class forward. If we've got two strikers on the right side of 26, both scoring goals and playing well - we'll get really good money for them.

There's nothing dangerous about that. Would we rather have a team full of consistent mediocrity just to not risk interest from bigger clubs? No.

Turning down the pigs' feet in to the bargain.

Dunn's an Academy product, on his day is our most creative player and like the man said is Rovers through and through. If we're not capable of showing HIM loyalty, what kind of message would that send out to the other players?

Shoving him loyalty? I think we've shown Dunn a fair amount of loyalty over the years. He was difficult to deal with towards the end of his first spell and this time around he's spent a lot of time in the physio room. I'm sure that we will offer Dunn a decent contract, but I don't think we should be breaking out the violins for him anytime soon.

Archived