BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Di Santo -

Hughesy

The final is on Sunday 31st January 2010, but Drogba and Kalou could be back before then if Ivory Coast don't make the final.

Even if they do...would it be possible for Di Santo play for Chelsea throughout January then register for us on January 31st? I'm sure something similar must have happened in the past.

Its a big gamble though if not agreed way before the end of Jan. If we know he's not coming back then we have time to get someone else in Jan. We don't want Chelsea to 'agree in principle' and then decide on the 31st that he's not going to return whether thats due to his form or injuries to other players. Where would that leave us then?

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Di Santo is never coming here permanently. Cannot believe that some people think that could happen on any level. The whole reason he came was to get game time and do well, which is exactly what is happening. Chelsea see him as the next big thing and would ask, even if they contemplated selling him, for £10m+. A loan for the rest of the season is possible but thats as good as we're ever getting. He's 20 and is ahead of a proven 20 goal a season premiership goalscorer, our £6m new striker and one of our regular starters for the past 2/3 years. Never a chance in hell we could afford him or that Chelsea would be foolish enough to sell.

It sounds like he is really enjoying his football here, the chance to play week in week out to aid his development. He reminds me a bit of Cruz, the way he holds up the ball and links up play, think Di Santo may have a bit more pace though.

Can't see us being able to keep him for the rest of the season, nevermind a transfer. Even if Chelsea were willing to sell what looks like a very decent prospect we couldn't afford it.

Its a big gamble though if not agreed way before the end of Jan. If we know he's not coming back then we have time to get someone else in Jan. We don't want Chelsea to 'agree in principle' and then decide on the 31st that he's not going to return whether thats due to his form or injuries to other players. Where would that leave us then?

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. If we throw all of our eggs in the Di Santo basket and Drogba for example comes back on the 31st injured then we are screwed with no time to get a replacement.

Interesting times ahead with this one.

It's not a case of "Big Sam sign him up", I'm sure he's doing everything he can. Chelsea won't want to sell, possibly under any circumstances so even a bid of around £10m could be rejected if they feel he'll be worth more in a few years (he will be).

I'd be delighted if we got him for the rest of the season but that's realistically the best we can hope for. We don't have the cash to put in a proper bid for him, and even if we did, Chelsea are reluctant to sell at any price as they see him as the Drogba replacement.

Di Santo is never coming here permanently. Cannot believe that some people think that could happen on any level. The whole reason he came was to get game time and do well, which is exactly what is happening. Chelsea see him as the next big thing and would ask, even if they contemplated selling him, for £10m+. A loan for the rest of the season is possible but thats as good as we're ever getting. He's 20 and is ahead of a proven 20 goal a season premiership goalscorer, our £6m new striker and one of our regular starters for the past 2/3 years. Never a chance in hell we could afford him or that Chelsea would be foolish enough to sell.

Unfortunately you are absolutely 100% correct in your assessment, not a hope in hell. If he was unsigned then there is a chance we could have signed him for the shop-window effect but realistically we would never have discovered him in the first place.

If he's for sale and he still wants to be here but funds are an issue then I'll mortgage my house and throw some cash into the pot and then start a campaign to raise the rest from you lot.

We have to be realistic, what we can see in him, everyone else can see in him. The more he plays the more attractive he will become and the bids will become too many to count. Rovers would be a long way down the queue because his affection for the club won't overcome a) Champions League opportunities B) medal opportunities c) national team enhancement opportunities d) living in a small town with pretty average night-clubs and winebars e) wages. A playing career is short and he won't let his heart rule his head. Best we can hope for is that we can wangle a couple of long loan periods out of Chelsea.

I hope this is all bullcrap and that we do have a shot, I'll be singing his name out loud at every match just on the off chance.

It all depends on where and how Chelsea intend to use him. If they can't see him breaking into the team in the next few years then he won't want to stay there. He is a long way away from being a Drogba replacement or near there first team, don't get me wrong he is good but not that good yet.

I think it would always be worth seeing what Di Santo wants to do and if he would like to join the club then get him to talk his way out of Chelsea with a buy back clause at a set price in a couple of years.

Failing that I'd be happy to have on loan forever.

Franco was rated in the top 50 young talents in World Football in 2007 by World football Magazine.

http://soccerlens.com/top-50-most-exciting-teen-footballers-2007/4258/

Other players in the list include Pato, Anderson, Aguero, Bojan and Benzema.

He reminds me a bit of Tevez. Not so much in his style (they’re obviously different players), but in the way he chases everything and will run all day.

I'm just wondering if it's going to be like the Glenn Johnson situation all over again. Goes to a big club too early, doesn't quite make the grade despite being promising, loaned out to another prem club and does well, still not quite at CL level so is allowed to sign for the other prem club, continues to improve, moves back to a big club for lots of dosh. Would be happy if that's the case.

Other factors helping our case is they obviously rate Sturridge (making him 4th choice) plus they have Pizzaro. And Franco seems to like it here.

On the other hand, top clubs can hoard players loaning them out time after time, Evans with Manure springs to mind as one example. Added to which Anelka and Drogba aren't that young.

Still good thought Franco is he is not that good yet, and if Chelsea were to replace one of them it would be with another already world class player.

Didn't Chelsea give Forsell for like, 2-3 seasons on loan at Birmingham?

I guess it depends on how much Di Santo wants to play football. No matter how good he does for us, I doubt he'll be a regular starter for Chelsea any time soon. Even when Drogba and Anelka get old, they'll surely splash the cash for a big superstar (the ban will probably be lifted). Teams like Chelsea and Man City have no interest in developing young stars, they just buy ready and made.

Didn't Chelsea give Forsell for like, 2-3 seasons on loan at Birmingham?

I guess it depends on how much Di Santo wants to play football. No matter how good he does for us, I doubt he'll be a regular starter for Chelsea any time soon. Even when Drogba and Anelka get old, they'll surely splash the cash for a big superstar (the ban will probably be lifted). Teams like Chelsea and Man City have no interest in developing young stars, they just buy ready and made.

Thats the way I usually see it too - I dont think Di Santo will get his chances too often at Chelsea. Sturridge hasnt played much (not sure if he was injured?) - and they have 3 very good strikers in Drogba, Anelka & Kalou. They also have plenty of attacking midfielders if they want to play more like a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3.

Hughesy, the CAS guy who I heard speak on SSN orignally stated that Chelsea had so many days to apply for an appeal, but that if they waited until a certain date that they would not be able to fast track the hearing to before the January window and as such the ban would have to be suspended until the summer.

Hopefully they have done this and buy all the players they need so we can keep Franco.

Hughesy, the CAS guy who I heard speak on SSN orignally stated that Chelsea had so many days to apply for an appeal, but that if they waited until a certain date that they would not be able to fast track the hearing to before the January window and as such the ban would have to be suspended until the summer.

Hopefully they have done this and buy all the players they need so we can keep Franco.

If joe Cole is returning to fitness their need for di Santo will presumably be lessened too as they can vary their formation to suit the players they have already.

If joe Cole is returning to fitness their need for di Santo will presumably be lessened too as they can vary their formation to suit the players they have already.

Ancelotti sticks pretty religiously to that 4-4-2 diamond system, I'd imagine Joe Cole will play at the tip of diamond ahead of the useless Deco.

Unfortunately Sturridge didn't look very promising in his cameo appearance last night, I think Di Santo would easily be ahead of him in the pecking order.

Our only hope really is that Chelsea get their transfer ban suspended whilst the appeal goes on (which seems likely), allowing them to maybe bring in an experienced striker on loan to take them through January. I believe that will be their preferred option; as good as Di Santo is for us I can't imagine he's their first choice to replace Drogba and Kalou.

If he continues to do well and score goals for us, you would think Chelsea would be silly not to keep him from January until the end of this season (regardless of the freeze on the transfer ban).

Even with money, January can be difficult to obtain players of sufficient quality.

Obviously I would love us to keep him, but just cannot see it happening (unless his form goes completely down the toilet, which is unlikely given his ability).

Archived