BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Good, The Bad & The Ugly Of Wigan Away

cn174

Not sure where the Gung Ho Roy Race stuff comes from. All I'm suggesting is with the backing of a big crowd, a decent 4-4-2 formation OR a 4-5-1 supported by the midfield there was a good chance of taking 3 points from a side who should not be considered any better than Rovers, though they played better football yesterday. We could have won this game with the right approach but the current philosophy is to be happy with a point, this may work for a while but not for much longer. After yesterday we have 9 games up to and including Liverpool which includes 7 from which we must take a serious points total (I'd suggest at least 12 and preferably 15), I'm expecting to lose at City and Liverpool, the other 7 being crucial. After Liverpool we have 9 games from which only four are likely to gain points, and those can't be taken for granted as wins.

To avoid relegation, and I repeat I think 16th will be our final position, we need to average more than a point a game. Wigan was an opportunity to do that, it isn't Gung Ho, it's realistic to expect to attempt to beat the sides we are competing with to avoid the drop. Granted we should be happier with a point than Wigan, but surely this only applies if we win at Ewood on 27th January?

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure where the Gung Ho Roy Race stuff comes from. All I'm suggesting is with the backing of a big crowd, a decent 4-4-2 formation OR a 4-5-1 supported by the midfield there was a good chance of taking 3 points from a side who should not be considered any better than Rovers, though they played better football yesterday. We could have won this game with the right approach but the current philosophy is to be happy with a point, this may work for a while but not for much longer. After yesterday we have 9 games up to and including Liverpool which includes 7 from which we must take a serious points total (I'd suggest at least 12 and preferably 15), I'm expecting to lose at City and Liverpool, the other 7 being crucial. After Liverpool we have 9 games from which only four are likely to gain points, and those can't be taken for granted as wins.

To avoid relegation, and I repeat I think 16th will be our final position, we need to average more than a point a game. Wigan was an opportunity to do that, it isn't Gung Ho, it's realistic to expect to attempt to beat the sides we are competing with to avoid the drop. Granted we should be happier with a point than Wigan, but surely this only applies if we win at Ewood on 27th January?

Question

From a results points of view who was happier with yesterday's result, us or them. I know if I was a Wigan fan I'd be a bit concerned that we had not beat a very, very poor team in Rovers.

We have all whinged about how poor Rovers are but at the end of the day we were the away side and we came away with a draw. With a bit of luck at the end it could have been three points. The facts remains this is a results based business and like it or not twelve months ago we got pasted at Wigan. We can all point out the faults with Rovers but a draw is a creditable results away from home.

Granted we should be happier with a point than Wigan, but surely this only applies if we win at Ewood on 27th January?

Question

From a results points of view who was happier with yesterday's result, us or them. I know if I was a Wigan fan I'd be a bit concerned that we had not beat a very, very poor team in Rovers.

We have all whinged about how poor Rovers are but at the end of the day we were the away side and we came away with a draw. With a bit of luck at the end it could have been three points. The facts remains this is a results based business and like it or not twelve months ago we got pasted at Wigan. We can all point out the faults with Rovers but a draw is a creditable results away from home.

You're right in what you say but please see my point in bold which you may have missed?

Yes I accept that but I'd say my point is only valid if we can win against Sunderland rather 27th January.

With the team that played yesterday any point is a bonus!

laugh.gif I enjoyed that........and yes you're right we MUST beat Sunderland, though I have serious doubts about our ability to do so.

Thank you for pointing out to the board the difference between foresight and hindsight Rev. One is a rare and valuable gift whilst the other is a much more common failing. ;)

Some of us on here had severe reservations about Ince but chose to keep their counsel in the hope that he would succeed and prove us wrong. Others bellyached, sulked and threatened to take their ball home. Some did that and when an inexperienced manager failed proclaimed themselves as some kind of football Nostradamus :rolleyes:

2 questions

Why does Nelson crouch over when a cross comes in? He bends down and tries to hold the striker and by doing that he can't jump! He did the same against Crouch last week, he is not on his toes for when the cross comes in.

You mean like this?

Ballerina.gif

18 years and counting... your point (I assume you were trying to make one?)

It will take a while for things to get better:

We are playing with three 20 year olds who are still learning their trade, we are missing our better players all of whom play in the same position and we have no money... surely this explains why we are playing "percentage football/hoofball" at the moment?

didnt ask how many years ,i asked how much youve spent following the team...ie ...going to games etc.

didnt ask how many years ,i asked how much youve spent following the team...ie ...going to games etc.

Does that make a difference to my opinion or am I only entitled to one if I have gone to a certain number of games?

it makes a difference when your slagging as you put it "fans" off and you never ever go....bet you didnt go to brum last week either and its around the corner judging by you in game comments....DONT SLAG FANS OFF FOR HAVING A DIFFERENT OPINION THAN YOURS WHN YOU CONTRIBUTE JACK ###### TO THE EWOOD COFFERS.

it makes a difference when your slagging as you put it "fans" off and you never ever go....bet you didnt go to brum last week either and its around the corner judging by you in game comments....DONT SLAG FANS OFF FOR HAVING A DIFFERENT OPINION THAN YOURS WHN YOU CONTRIBUTE JACK ###### TO THE EWOOD COFFERS.

So what you are saying is that I am not entitled to have an opinion? Read my original post, I said "some fans", who are constantly sniping at Sam who make the same points again and again and do not take into account injuries are the people who are becoming tiresome in my opinion.

How much money do I put into the Ewood coffers do you actually know? :wstu: Of course you dont but you feel that you have some moral high ground because you are obviously a season ticket holder!

You are allowed an opionion doh!!!!!!!!!!

but dont slate people who have a differing one to you!

and id listen to opinions of people who goto games above yours imy ,because you dont contribute anything to the ewood funds like i said...did you goto to your local game or not?

You are allowed an opionion doh!!!!!!!!!!

but dont slate people who have a differing one to you!

and id listen to opinions of people who goto games above yours imy ,because you dont contribute anything to the ewood funds like i said...did you goto to your local game or not?

Yes I did go to the game... is my opinion valid now?

No I did not go to the game... is my opinion discarded now?

You said:

"it makes a difference when your slagging as you put it "fans" off and you never ever go.

I merely made a point that certain people have a vendetta against Sam and this is becoming tiresome...

Ill say it again it for you Abbey: do you know how much I put into the Ewood coffers or not? Do you know which games I have attended or will attend? :blush::blush:

You said it yourself "supported by the midfield". Without Dunn, Emerton and Grella we don't have a midfield to support anyone. Just N'zonzi on his own. If 16th is our final position so be it. We build next year and every year the best we can.The approach wasn't the problem, the quality of the midfield was. I don't consider Wigan any better than us but why does that mean we can go there expecting to win?

I like Chimbonda but he does need to improve on that aspect. He turns his back and doesn't get up close enough to stop the cross or make em pass backwards.

The main defensive role of a full back = stop crosses coming in. Hopefully he sorts it out as I think its well fairy to turn away from a ball coming in.

Well said. I'm sure Sam couldn't cater for a new centre-midfielder when he had Dunn, Grella, Reid & Emerton all returning from injury. However, his faith in Andrews is becoming rather embarrassing now. Any man and his dog can see the guy is out of his depth. Would it really hurt to promote some fresh-faced youth from the reserves? Win/win situation, as far as I'm concerned.

We could have gotten a loaner, especially if we hadn't wasted money on Salgado.

I agree about the pace and his legs but when he has the ball he tries to do something with it, more than could be said for the rest of the midfield yesterday. When Salgado was subbed I think the booing was for the decision rather than the player, at the end it was for the performance.

For me the disappointment yesterday was this; we should be winning away at Wigan, especially at Christmas with a big following. It was all nicely set up. We created very, very few chances in open play and in all honesty we can't do this. The big punt down field is desperate stuff to watch, I have no problem with the long ball but this is just "hoof ball." Again we played 4-5-1 with never more than three players getting forward which means we carry no threat to any defence. Di Santo was very poor and is either fed up with this system or can't play it, he's a good footballer but will not score goals for Rovers. My last point is Allardyce made no effort to change the game, Jacobsen for Chimbonda, who I like, was because he was having a poor game, Pedersen for Salgado was because Salgado was nackered and Roberts for Di Santo as Di Santo was achieving nothing. Going to 4-4-2 for the last 15 minutes might have led to something better.

Really I didn't think him or Chimbonda had a good game at all, Salgado seemed a bit lost in his role coming narrow all the time. Chimbonda well given he did exactly the same with spurs you've got to hope someone says something to him.

If Andrews had deliberately tried to block Hoillet's effort he would have missed it.

ROFLMAO

At the end of the day regardless of what we expected and hoped for we got a point, when we played like christmas turkeys and I will take solace in that.

Salgado seemed a bit lost in his role coming narrow all the time.

He was far from our worst performer though. His attitude is very good, he gives it his all.

Crap atmosphere yesterday to say that's our biggest away following for quite some time.

It started off good. After about 10 minutes Wigan took control of the game and the crowd went flat.

Sometimes the players have to lift the crowd.

Although watching schoolboy style football doesn't inspire me to get exited enough to sing anymore.

Think the subdued crowd was more to do with the tedious affair we saw on the pitch - yet again Sam comes out with the worst baloney possible - we where not the better team and did not come anwhere near to winning it - chances my arse.

Short of what been said, I took my father in law on today so these are his comments and not mine although I do agree.

'supposed professionals who cannot even pass to each other, aren't they supposed to have an understanding?'

'so slow at getting forward and when we finally do get there lucky if one man is in the penalty box'

'all far too predictable, you can tell Allardyce's influence, negative unconfident approach that a draw will do witout trying to take the game'

As for me - not sure if any of he memebers on here went back to the Orwell after but the overwhelming feeling talking to the guys in there is Allardyce needs to go because at the moment there are definitely not 3 teams worse than us.

Paul - did you make it going that way to the ground ok?

Until we find a buyer with good intentions then people need to get used to us playing like this. I still think Sam is the best option, managerially, given our circumstances.

We're riding through some financial turmoil in this league. The owners believe we have a squad good enough to keep us safely away from the danger of relegation. I wouldn't disagree with that. Those appear to be the only intentions of the Trust. As a fan it's not very motivating is it? But for the good of the club I think it's prudent.

Alternatively, we could spend out of our depth, win somethng once and then pay for it later. Hmmm...

Disagree! why? because theres been some diabolical recruitment decisions made on all levels at Rovers over the past couple of years that have led us into this position were we are today.

With a £45m wage budget no one can accuse Rovers of not having any money.

It wasn't that bad, some are forgetting we have 4 midfielders injured and unlike certain other teams our backups are not double digit millions. Sadly we have Keith Andrews who I am getting sick and tired of seeing start. Salgado played well but Peders should have started on the left, Hoilett on the right and Salgado and N'Zonzi in the middle. That team would prob have taken all 3 points but we are SO handicapped when we have KA playing, his accidental blocking of the shot just sums him up really.

We MUST NOT SELL BENNI!!! Both he and Hoilett are very skilled, the N'Z miss came from some silky skill from these 2. I really want to see Hoilett on the right though, not left, he clearly struggles on the left.

Referee was shocking, so incredibly biased and just seemed hellbent on handicapping Rovers with yellows whilst being completely inconsistent and letting Wigan get away with similar challenges unpunished. I was so angry when he stood there waiting for Givet to get up to show him the (undeserved) yellow I wanted to hop on a plane and smack Clotterbumb.

Anyways, stop whingeing people, we won't go down, we will get some semblance in the team, eventually, and Sam will, hopefully, stop making his sometimes erratic and flumoxing decisions.

Archived