BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Good, The Bad & The Ugly Of Wigan Away

cn174

Two poor teams. Martinez was a more inept manager the BFS as they could have won the game if he hadn't played 5 at the back and 2 wide men.

Rovers are now a team if two halves. An awful one and a good one. I cannot ever remember under Hughes picking inept players regularly. With Hughes poor players were discarded and that is why BFS should be sacked he coundn't tell the differene between a sack of King Edwards and smart pric cheap boilers. Useless manager.

John Coleman would have the sense not to pick Selgado, Roberts, Pederson, Andrews. Add Diouf who thankfully looks like he has been discarded. These 5 are so awful they'd get relegated from any division.

Then there's the giants who are good enough take Rovers back into to Europe. robbo, Dunn Samba, Givet, Nelsen, Chimbonda, Di Santo, nzonzi, Emerton and on todays performance McCarthy. We have 6 or 7 really good players. Thrown in an improving Kalinic and maybe Hoilet and the manager has a team that can push the rubbish at the top like Spuds and Villa.

You did not need to go today. It was exactly the same as what has been served up in recent weeks.

7 Robbo one world class save

8 Chimbonda everywhere, some great last minute tackles

6 Givet solid

6 Nelsen solid

8 Samba everywhere not a foot wrong contributed pushing forward

2 Selgado biggest pile of sh1t at the club or maybe not see next

1 Andrews I'm not an Andrews hater but this was beyond attrocious.

8 Nzonzi Played on his own in midfiled. Clearly got fed up if his colleagues towards the end

6 Hoilet best game so far. Bright moments and ran at defenders. Failed to track back sometimes, sh1t out of tackles.

7 benni everywhere made a lot happen, scored.

6 Di Santo worked his socks off dent happen today

subs

6 jacobson solid

2 pederson woeful

2 Roberts woeful

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Home now

Spoke to Benni after the game, waiting for the players getting on the coach. We said he should stay and he said "it was up to the manager", and said that Big Sam had no faith in him. He also said the only reason he plays is because of the fans. A very likeable guy, and said that Kirkland save was "just his luck".

But the team were awful, we didn't deserve to win really in the end. Too defensive a midfield.. so disappointed. The game was screaming for Kalinic to come on and create something. Nelsen can't jump :blink:

Two poor teams. Martinez was a more inept manager the BFS as they could have won the game if he hadn't played 5 at the back and 2 wide men.

Rovers are now a team if two halves. An awful one and a good one. I cannot ever remember under Hughes picking inept players regularly. With Hughes poor players were discarded and that is why BFS should be sacked he coundn't tell the differene between a sack of King Edwards and smart pric cheap boilers. Useless manager.

John Coleman would have the sense not to pick Selgado, Roberts, Pederson, Andrews. Add Diouf who thankfully looks like he has been discarded. These 5 are so awful they'd get relegated from any division.

Then there's the giants who are good enough take Rovers back into to Europe. robbo, Dunn Samba, Givet, Nelsen, Chimbonda, Di Santo, nzonzi, Emerton and on todays performance McCarthy. We have 6 or 7 really good players. Thrown in an improving Kalinic and maybe Hoilet and the manager has a team that can push the rubbish at the top like Spuds and Villa.

You did not need to go today. It was exactly the same as what has been served up in recent weeks.

6 Givet solid

6 Nelsen solid

8 Nzonzi Played on his own in midfiled. Clearly got fed up if his colleagues towards the end

6 Hoilet best game so far. Bright moments and ran at defenders. Failed to track back sometimes, sh1t out of tackles.

subs

6 jacobson solid

2 pederson woeful

2 Roberts woeful

Right Graham, personally I think that is the most ridiculous and ill thought out post on this thread and there are lots of them too. However I doubt you can be so gormless. So you've had your say at criticising the team and manager so now please tell us all the team and tactics that you would have employed today given the players available. Off you go. :tu:

Please consider also that we did not get beaten so how bad must Wigan be if we were as bad as you are suggesting yet they could not take all 3 points at home.

Kettle pot black. :wstu::lol:

This is getting tedious.

I'm sorry Lord Thenodrog, master of the Universe and all seeing eye in the Kingdom of BRFCS. I hope you can grant me a stay of execution and forgive me for these sins that I have committed. Never again will I cross you or any of your disciples. I bow to you my King.

There. Happy now? :blink:

But the team were awful, we didn't deserve to win really in the end. Too defensive a midfield.. so disappointed. The game was screaming for Kalinic to come on and create something.

We all know that the midfield is too defensive sambo, so how do you think bringing a misfiring striker on will improve that? :wacko:

This is getting tedious.

You started it.

Are you forgetting he almost scored an own goal?

No player was perfect today but c'mon to say that when he almost put the ball into his own net, he did something similar against Hull, very lucky.

Again we have failed to close down a cross, I'm sure it was Chimbonda, couldn't really see from where I was stood but I'm sure two Rovers players just backed off.

I saw Rodallega after the game, he's tiny, 5ft11 it says on Wiki he only looked about 5ft6, I still don't know how he's leaped so high, total misjudgement of the cross by Nelsen but he assisted in our goal, so can't really complain.

Funny reading the comments on here before the game, writing Salgado off just because he had one bad game last week, he put in a good performance today, so did Benni.

Maybe on paper it wasn't 4-5-1, but in practice it pretty much was. McCarthy was so deep at times that he was pretty much playing center midfield, similar to the role Dunn played earlier in the season.

No one is having a go, but when you come out all guns blazing because someone has a different opinion to you then you should expect some mud to be hurled in your direction.

Heck, it's only a game and it's undoubtedly our frustration from not getting a win which brings out the keyboard warriors in us. I agree though, we should get behind the team. But sometimes they make it hard...

Fair enough, but it was your post about Andrews that got my blood boiling to begin with because you suggested that we would be better with 10 men and you also thought that "the fat man" got it completely wrong.

Forget the name calling etc... I agree we haven't got the most gifted team available but I though sam got it correct today, I really don't know what else he could have done. Maybe he should have brought Niko on instead of Roberts but other than that I agree with the team selection and tactics.

We all know that the midfield is too defensive sambo, so how do you think bringing a misfiring striker on will improve that? :wacko:

You started it.

Not sure, I just think we needed someone who can create something out of nothing. He was a better option than Roberts.

Good news is, that Emerton said he is back Monday. :brfcsmilie:

Thendrog: pick another team.

Unlike Allardyce I wouldn't have this squad. To many are crap. I'd be picking from a squad of Nzonzis Nelsens Bellamys Santa Cruzs Dunns Sambas.

9 would start plus Kalinic and one other. You might have well as have had Doran than Selgado. van Heerden? Jacobson. Ollson is ten thousand times the player Andrews or Selgado are. What makes fans angry is it so obvious. Lets be honest, Givet, good player he is offers no attacking options.

You pick your best 11 and mould the tactics around them. Stupid thick managers like Allardyce will pick any crap player so long as it fits their fantasy tactics.

Benni played well today and is suited to playing at the top of a diamond BTW

Allardyce good riddance you are and alway will be totally useless because you do not understand the game.

6 Givet solid

6 Nelsen solid

subs

6 jacobson solid

2 pederson woeful

2 Roberts woeful

N'zonzi 8 ??? his passing was wayward gave the ball away far too many times, and put some silly challenges in, if your giving Andrews a 1/10 then you have to give N'zonzi the same he was as bad.

Di Santo - It never happens for him due to the fact he is sh*t

Been said before but if you have a midfield as abysmal as us you can't expect good football. Gomez strolled through our midfield at will and he's hardly a Fabregas. Until we get the non entity that is Andrews out of the side it will always be the same I'm afraid - he's so far out his depth I feel genuinely sorry for him.

One more thing, don't believe the spin from Allardyce post match. We created precious little and the opportunities we did have were balls in and around the danger area rather than well crafted chances - I can't believe he thinks we played well and created enough to win it. It was bloody poor and there was also quite a bit of audible discontent at the end as well with quite a few boos in and around where I was sat.

I think there has to be a higher degree of common sense on this board. Dont scream that Allardyce is inept and that the team he picked was terrible without saying what you would have done differently. Please pick a different team for this afternoon's game and i assure you that i will find 4/5/6 flaws in it.

Look at what he's got to deal with. Its not like he's got Santa Cruz/Bentley/Bellamy on the bench is it. Injuries to big players (Dunn/Emerton) were always going to hit us harder then most teams and so its proven.

We were poor today but thats down more to the calibre of player we have, then the management. Hughes took massive gambles in the transfer market on players who hadnt proven themselves at the top level, and most if not all of them came off (Nelsen, Bentley, Santa, Benni, Samba) - Sam has taken similar gambles with Di Santo/Kalinic/Salgado and they're not quite making as much of an impact as we had hoped, is that Sam's fault or are we just being overly critical considering how well Hughes did??

Today was a miserable game but i personally couldnt have named another 11 which would have stood a better chance of winning the match. Which is why i dont think simply blaming the manager is the right way to react

Also: Andrews was bad today. But who else could have played in CM? Grella/Emerton/Dunn are all injured which only leaves Andrews. Do you shove Diouf in there? Pedersen? No. He was (regrettably) the only real option. Again, thats not really Sam's fault. Id have played him too.

and there was also quite a bit of audible discontent at the end as well with quite a few boos in and around where I was sat

Same around me especially when Salgado, who I thought was one of our better performers, was subbed by MGP and at the end when there was a lot of booing. Many who didn't boo were very silent.

Same around me especially when Salgado, who I thought was one of our better performers, was subbed by MGP and at the end when there was a lot of booing. Many who didn't boo were very silent.

One mindbender was Gamst playing on the right with Hoilett still on his unfavoured left? Surely they should have swapped?

Although I did read somewhere that Sam encourages wingers to cut onto their stronger foot. :blink:

We were poor today but thats down more to the calibre of player we have, then the management. Hughes took massive gambles in the transfer market on players who hadnt proven themselves at the top level, and most if not all of them came off (Nelsen, Bentley, Santa, Benni, Samba) - Sam has taken similar gambles with Di Santo/Kalinic/Salgado and they're not quite making as much of an impact as we had hoped, is that Sam's fault or are we just being overly critical considering how well Hughes did??

Surely you have answered your own question? Hughes took big gambles and they paid off, Allardyce has taken similar gambles and they have yet to succeed. Logic suggests then that Allardyce made the wrong choices and Sparky the right ones - that's called management.

One more thing, don't believe the spin from Allardyce post match. We created precious little and the opportunities we did have were balls in and around the danger area rather than well crafted chances - I can't believe he thinks we played well and created enough to win it. It was bloody poor and there was also quite a bit of audible discontent at the end as well with quite a few boos in and around where I was sat.

Couldn't believe my ears on the way home listening to Sam saying that we played well enough to win :blink:

On Rovers site he is blaming 'lady luck' - that isn't a good sign!!

It would be interesting to know what constitutes 'a chance' because to me we seem to be the least threatening attacking team I've ever seen. I don't like to rely on stats much, but according to the guardian we had 1 other shot on target which was the Benni overhead kick. Hardly peppering their goal were we?

It would be interesting to know what constitutes 'a chance'

When the ball goes forward in the opposition's half? I haven't a clue. We had two chances, Benni scored from one and Kirkland saved his overhead kick, that was it.

the sad or good thing is that we are only a couple of players short of being a top ten team. The heart of any team is the midfield, get two good center midfield players in jan and the team will somm pick up.

Its up to the board and big Sam to find the two midfield players, yes players might have to go to raise funds, but its vital that the midfield is sorted out sooner rather than later

The premier league table is stupidly close with 5 points separating 19th and 10th. The one good thing for us is that we have been away to 3 of the top 4 already. A win against Sunderland would put us in 10th which isnt too bad at all.

It's all very very close indeed.

• Backroom

You're right that Salgado bloke is sh*t he'll never achieve anything in football.

Thendrog: pick another team.

Unlike Allardyce I wouldn't have this squad. To many are crap. I'd be picking from a squad of Nzonzis Nelsens Bellamys Santa Cruzs Dunns Sambas.

9 would start plus Kalinic and one other. You might have well as have had Doran than Selgado. van Heerden? Jacobson. Ollson is ten thousand times the player Andrews or Selgado are. What makes fans angry is it so obvious. Lets be honest, Givet, good player he is offers no attacking options.

You pick your best 11 and mould the tactics around them. Stupid thick managers like Allardyce will pick any crap player so long as it fits their fantasy tactics.

Benni played well today and is suited to playing at the top of a diamond BTW

Allardyce good riddance you are and alway will be totally useless because you do not understand the game.

Where do I begin?

1. Bellamy and Santa Cruz no longer play for Rovers ( :wstu: ), I am sure Big Sam would like those players too but guess what finances dictate we cant have them.

2. You would pick Doran? A player who has never started a game for Rovers and is plying his trade in League 1 at the moment? Van Heerdan who has been rejected by a championship side? (again never started a game) you would pick those two ahead of Salgado? Who by the way had a decent game.

3. Then you contradict yourself, "you play your best 11" how are the above your best 11?, I am sure that Sam would play his best 11 but cant due to injuries.

4. Sam has saved us from relegation when we were 5 points adrift, he has given us a youthful look this season and in Nzonzi, Hoilett, Di Santo and Kalinic we have promising players for the future.

Can you share your starting 11 for this game from the players available, I am intrigued.

People always seem to dwell on the negative side of things. Looking from an optimistic point of view today's result is a darn site better than the humiliation we suffered at Wigan just over 12 months ago which ended Ince's tenture.

McCarthy got a goal which he was over-due, hopefully we keep him and this will get him on a goal-scoring run. We already know our midfield is our weak link, and I'm sure Big Sam know this. He evidentley does from his decision to drop Pedersen and Diouf and replace them in the starting line-up. We only had two fit first-team central midfield players in Nzonzi and Andrews, so the team almost picked itself in midfield due to injury and lack of form of our midfield players. Don't like how people automatically seem to blame Big Sam, if he doesn't address the situation in January I could just about understand it but all the signs are that he will if he can. Whenever Dunn and Grella are fit they play and Andrews drops to the bench, but unfornatley thoose two are usually not fit (I'm sure Dunny was only meant to be out for a week or two, I suspect he might have a longer-term injury than expected). One thing you can't grumble at Andrews about is the fact that he misses games through injury, he's nearly always available and fit to play, yes his overall play is of low Premiership standard but we don't have any alternative at the moment and I think he's an easy scapegoat every time Rovers don't win.

Archived