BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Villa Semi Final Match Preview

Jesus, there are some stupid ill though posts on this board at times but dazmaz spaz or whatever you are called are certainly close to taking the biscuit (hate having a go from behiond a keyboard as don't know you) but you are open to ridicule with a post in such a manner and intent.

Yes it was a Semi Final but despite what has been said for non attendance, think you need to be more concerned about why these people chose not to/didn't feel compelled/ didn't get the bug or euphoria feeling that these games should give for fans of a club - especially Rovers.

There is a very serious issue here as to what the numpty is doing to this club - what we are seeing is not football and his expert I know best quip is smacking him well and truly about the head without any effect.

All of what happened last night was predicted before the game even kicked off.

Sams comments are bewildering as well as being predicted (again) and his decision to play an 'unfit/overweight Dunny' when he himself condemned Benni for the same issue - desperation.

Salgado at right wing again :wstu: - clueless!!

As you say it was semi Final - maybe it might be worth you considering why the manager despite his comments (and the players for that matter) about getting a lead to take to the 2nd leg, adopted the masterstoke line up and tactics - we can't win away from home for toffee, never mind score.

How many times have we played Villa this season - twice already not as if we don't know what they are about - we know we can beat them so why adopt a predicted cautious attitude?

People are being driven away if they weren't already with the state of football - now why do you think that might be?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cliche alert - Definately a game of two halfs and yes I was there, one of the rare moments I could afford it this season (Blackburn End)

Considering we had two bona fide midfielders on the pitch in the form of Dunny (been in the Tavern too much over Christmas by the looks of things) and Emerton in the first half they might as well have not been there... Not blaming the players, blaming the tactics, they were being by-passed continuously by the attempts to hoof it up the pitch by the back four etc, if ever was the evidence that this team is not suited to what Sam is trying to do last night showed it to great affect, the players were so disjointed, not knowing where to go or what to do, coupled with a relucatance to take the ball on the floor and attack players we were never going to get a goal in that half.

Pedersen in particular needs to be singled out for his total lack of commitment as does Chimp a good few times, also where was the willingness to support each over further up the pitch many a time balls where optimistically put in the area for no-one to be there.

Second half Olsson came on and we looked to be a lot better shape, we then started actually using the floor and bringing the midfield players into it more and poor Kalinic was unlucky to grab the two goals. I thought in the second half Pedersen did marginally better, but nowhere near his past best and I am still mystified at the bringing on of Reid when Hoilett / Di Santo where sat on the bench.

Benni's appearance in the latter end of the second half didn't do much for us and I would have rather seen Santo appearing to take some of the pressure of Kalinic, he was kanckered towards the end of the game through his brilliant performance and deserved Man Of The Match.

As for the ref he was shocking, from where I was sat the Samba incident in the first half was not in the penalty area for a start, but big Chris did look initially to clip the Villa player (Abongwhatever) but he did make a BIG meal out of it 50/50, Clattenberg did miss out an awful lot of decisions that should have gone our way, but the home fans always say it this way don't we.

Interesting to see Sam appear second half on the pitch, he didn't look a well man to me, moving very cagely, he just didn't look right.

I watched on the telly in the student bar. Sorry Dazmaz, but I had a write-up to complete and it was in for 9am today. I gave my ticket to my cousin to take my place though. Am I a ###### as you state? What about the guy who's just become a dad? Is he a ###### for not going? Yes it was a semi-final. It was also a FOOTBALL GAME! There are more important matters in life than FOOTBALL.

Anyway, based on the telly, only Robinson, Kalinic and NZonzi had any noteworthy, positive contribution to the game. The rest didn't play well, but some played decently (Dunn, Pedersen for about 30mins and Olsson when he came on. Even Reid put up some fight and did okay. better tha Andrews and Diouf anyway)!

I'm not as fussed as I thought I would be. In our situation, survival in the league is more important. if that means backing sam then so be it. But unfortunately, none of us want to and most want a new manager in sharpish. We need to WIN and WITH STYLE on Sunday. A win with hoof, a draw or loss is NOT good enough and Sam should be sacked Monday morning if that's the case. Considering all opotions, I think the best thing would be to promote Neil McDonald as interim for the remainder of the season and the board can draw up a list of candidates in that time. I'd at least be ABLE to place some faith in McDonald. He strikes me as one to actually LISTEN to the fans rather than be a stubborn mule.

Neil McDonald's Blue And White Army! ;):P

Haven't posted since before the game, but my thoughts for what they are worth.

Like most, my heart sank before I even set off on hearing the team. 4-5-1 in a game we really had to win to have any chance of progressing? Salgado on the right wing when this has never worked? No Hoilett? I cannot understand why BFS is always so negative - he makes Mark Hughes look like Kevin Keegan.

Awful first half in every aspect - no passion, drive, skill, effort – it looked every bit like the players just do not want to play for the manager. Terrible marking for Villa's goal, and we could very easily have conceded two penalties. Second half we improved and had a go for 25 mins, but apart from Kalinic's two efforts which hit the post we didn't really trouble Villa's goal.

Can understand Jacobsen/Olsson substitution if Lars was injured. However, the Reid sub was just plain daft, and Benni came on too late to do anything. Even after that BFS seemed absolutely determined to not go 4-4-2 as Benni appeared to be playing the Dunn role.

Pros:

Kalinic is our best striker by a country mile – no luck last night but if the manager (current or future) persists and gives him a run of games he will score.

Olsson did well when he came on.

Errr ….. that’s about it – honestly.

Cons:

Formation (as usual) – Kalinic too often isolated. Midfield not adequately supporting the striker

Tactics: Were there any other than the usual?

Team selection: Salgado, Pedersen, Jacobsen shouldn’t have started. Hoilett, Di Santo and Olsson should.

Nelsen looked dodgy – again. Givet-Samba has to be the first choice partnership surely?

Emerton seems to be going backwards, kept losing the ball and giving it away cheaply.

Pedersen went through the motions once again and looked like he was protecting himself because he’d signed for someone else (wimped out of so many tackles and headers – not surprised he got booed off). Long time since I saw a performance lacking so much commitment.

I think for the future of the club BFS has to go - regardless of the cost. What's £2m or so now if we stay up at the end of the season - because I really cannot see BFS keeping us up. We are playing almost exactly as we were under Kidd when we went down last time, in fact probably not even as well as that. Last night was his chance to hold his hands up, say 4-5-1 isn't working, play 2 up top and have a go. Unfortunately (and not for the first time) something (arrogance? ignorance?) got in the way and he steadfastly refused to change his "tactical masterplan". I wouldn't now even give him Sunday, because we are just delaying the inevitable - better to get someone in now and give them a couple of weeks in the transfer window to try to positively affect the team.

Dark days at Ewood ....

One small pleasing side from last night - though I was surprised to see Reid come on rather than Hoilett - I thought Reid put in a good stint as sub. He seemed to play the defensive midfield role far better than players prior to him. Hopefully he will stay fit and replace Andrews as cover for midfield. I would even consider starting him against Fulham - but that really depends on his overall fitness - at least he gets stuck in !

Does noone else think that Nelson is one of our worst players?

Nelson's been behind the curve for awhile now. I'd sit him out for a few matches to see if a break would help. Play Givet or Jones in his place, and Olson at leftback.

Dunn being allowed to get in that state whilst out is not on, both parties should hang their heads in shame.

Dunn and Benni looking like they've been haunting the local McDonalds. Sam needs to impose some discipline which obviously requires more than a stern talking to via the papers. Send them both to the reserves for a couple of weeks and hand their duties to Hoilet and Di Santo.

I was stuck in an arse end of nowhere bar hundreds of miles from home so had to watch this on Sky. For some reason the commentary was turned off so I just had the pictures and couldn't hear what the pundits were saying.

For me Nelson is way way way out of form and should be rested. I like his aggression and strength and timing but his brain is working to slowly. I think that he's 100% at fault for the goal. Salgado did his job by tracking back and then handing Milner over to the back four he then took up his position again and was no way at fault. Nelson on the other hand watched, saw the player and carried on watching, he was still watching when he tapped in. What was he thinking? Time for a rest and put Givet in at centre back for a while.

Kalinic was top draw. Kudos to Sam for spotting him and adding him to the squad, insults to Sam for not playing him in any team. The guy is just what we have been crying out for. For goodness sake play him alongside Di Santo and let's get this side back on the rails. Hoilett and/or Dunny in behind, come on Sam it's not that hard really. If you are going down after the Fulham match (at least according to Nicko) then at least go down fighting. Play the side and formation that the supporters have been screaming for. If we lose then no one could criticise you trying it - but we won't lose with 442 and the above players in place, so be brave.

Back to the Villa match ... the booking for simulation was a good call, he was falling before he went over the leg, no hand ball from Chimbo either as the slow mo shows a Villa player got under his arm with a shoulder that pushed his hand upwards - no intent at all.

Peds tried but he's already gone in his head so leave him on the bench.

We have almost as much chance in the second leg as we had when we played Chelsea - hardly any - but we won that on penalties and we can do the same again. If we play like the second half for 90 mins at Villa Park we could snatch a 0-1, hold out for the extra minutes and then go to penalties.

Sam for the love of all that's holy just swallow your pride and give it a try just once before you go ..

Robinson, Emerton, Samba, Givet, Olsson, Hoillet, Dunn, N'zonzi, anyone whose fit except Peds, Andrews or Diuoff, Di Santo, Kalinic

Go on you know you want to.

One small pleasing side from last night -

I think the one pleasing thing from last night, is on the whole we are still in the tie - us Rovers fans may know the outcome but despite all the negavity and probable predictable odds as we all know you can never say never - I'm sure Reading didn't.

Not into all this which is the most important game squabble - to me it should always be whatever the next game is and take it from there.

We are now in a catch 22 situ - do we keep SA or not - who else is there?

The board have to be satiisfied and have complete confidence otherwise they might as well just ditch him now - there needs to be changes and the citeria should be that its along the performance of the 2nd half.

I'm not into sacking managers just for the sake, especially when there appears to be backing (funds) from the board - but Sam has dug alot of the holes we find ourselves in himself, and needs to build himself a ladder to climb out of them.

Neither am I into sacking managers after just such a short time but what I do not and have not liked since his appointment is his approach to games.

I would not be bothered if he is sacked given we appear to be getting worse - the question is, is the timing right, can we afford to gamble and hope he and the team wake from the slumber or are the grumblings more than just that and he has lost the players?

Evidence from his Bolton days would suggest he can't and due to what we have seen thus far has only one 'way' which is not good for the club.

Who is out there? - Hughes would probably appease to the majority including to myself at least at trying to keep us up - however I am not so sure it would be the right move either and I am not into going over old ground.

Not a good time for following Rovers :brfc::brfc:

And a great big thank you for rounding a cheerless night off nicely to - yes Lancashire Constabulary for making Riversiders who wanted to go up Bolton Road/Craven Brow walk all the way round three sides of the ground.

Because we didn't have to walk past a load of tosser cocky Villa morons anyway all the way up the main road to the bottom of the hill did we?

What a load of toss. Let's inconvenience the home fans shall we?

It was more likely to cuase a public order problem because there were plenty of fed up Rovers fans who just wanted to get home as quickly as possible.

What is the bloody purpose of that for God's sake? No attempt to explain the decision.Morons.Why were there so many of them anyway with their big fat overtime payments?

It makes me sick.

Get me a straight jacket.Now.

I'll retire to bedlam.

Totally agree, as did the coppers in a van I spoke to on the way back.

They were calling in as I spoke to them reporting the issue. There has never been an issue with fans mixing outside the Darwen End as far as I know, but there certainly has on Bolton Road, which is where all the fans came together last night.

The attitude of the Police blocking the Darwen End was also unnecessarily offhand and aggressive.

Is it just me or was there a HUGE hole in the middle of the park where our midfield players should have been when Villa were hitting us on the break?

I think Reid did well in the role when he came on. Someone needs to have the discipline to 'sit' in their and allow the likes of Dunn to go forward. Grella would be the man (if he was fit) This then puts extra pressure on the centre halfs as they are unsure whether they should come forward and meet the player attacking head on or stay back allowing the attacking players extra time on the ball.

There comes a time when a manager and a club reach a point where there is an inevitable outcome to the relationship, i.e. the manager leaves one way or another. The manager may continue for a while and the team may pick up the odd point or two but eventually they will go their separate ways.

This point has now been reached at Ewood. The performances have reached an unacceptable level, even given the lack of resources, and the team cannot pull out a performance even in big and important games.

I have no problem with direct tactics and a cautious approach, but the fact is we are completely reliant on free kicks, corners and throw-ins but don't have the players in the team to execute them well. There is no pressure on the ball and teams can do whatever they like in possesion, we just sit back and wait for them to score. The managers signings have been poor and the decision to go into the season with a midfield of crocs, inexperience and the useless may well cost us our Premier League place, as we are overrun in that area week after week, home and away.

The players who were formally performing well are now shorn of confidence (Nelsen, Chimbonda, N'Zonzi, Di Santo, Emerton) Poor players continue to be picked regardless of their abject performances.

We have now gone 12 games without winning and I cannot see where out next win is coming from.

Many say that clubs who are successful are the ones who rarely change managers. I choose to look at it the reason they keep a manager for a long period is because they are good managers who bring relative success.

As for last night, the usual abyssmal first half was followed by usual attempt at a 2nd half rally, the only missing element was the break away goal in the last 5 minutes that seals our defeat.

Robinson. No communication with his defenders.

Chimbonda. Getting fed up with his teammates now.

Jacobson. Average defender at best.

Nelsen. Designated hoofer.

Samba. Has stopped even going up for the log throws now, there is obviously is no point.

N'Zonzi. Any footballing ability he maybe possesed has now been drilled out of him. Passes to the designated hoofer.

Emerton. The legs are willing but the spirit is weak.

Pederson. "Substutute for Blackburn Rovers....Please give your appreciation for No. 12 Morten Gamst Pedersen". How exactly should we do this Gerald? By throwing turds at the tunnel in some kind of "dirty protest"?

Dunn......and dusted.

Kalinic. Must be pining for Dalmatia.

Ollson. Runs too quickly

Reid. Better than Andrews

McCarthy. Can't wait to get away...can't blame him. At least he gave it a go for 15 mins.

As for Villa, the UEFA Cup beckons. A solid team and no more. Several England players on show, Heskey is a joke, Warnock has to make too many desparate tackles, Milner, hard working, jack of all trades master of none but the best of the bunch, A Bungalow is better than Owen, not saying much. A special mention to Downing who amazes me every time I see him with his poorness. He is like a gay Wilcox.

ALLARDYCE OUT. In the words of Chubby..."i'm f...ing sick".

I don't post very often, but would like to make a few points about the game and this thread.(I was there).

1.Booing off one of our own players, no matter how badly he played (and his performance was lamentable) is totally out of order. I felt embarrassed to be a Rovers fan.

2.Without wishing to sound like SA, on another day we would have sneaked a 2-1 win with Kalinic hitting the post twice. OK, it would only be papering over the cracks, but how many times have we outplayed other sides only to lose (Sunderland) or draw (Liverpool).

I suspect the mood on the Messageboard would have been very different if those two efforts had gone in.

3.Is it really necessary for so many personal insults to be bandied about on this board.Everyone has opinions and no two people will ever agree 100%.Much of this thread has been taken up by arguments as to the merit of posters who did not attend. Whether they attend or not, they are still Rovers fans and are as much entitled to express their opinion as those who do go.

4. My opinion on SA is that it would be madness to dismiss him at this stage of the season, both on financial and footballing grounds.Burnley have lost their manager at a critical stage of the season and many on this MB seem to think that this dooms them to relegation. I feel the same would happen to us. Having said that, I disapprove strongly with the tactics of the manager. I have been a ST holder for 45 years and used to look forward to games with anticipation, even in the dark days of the 70s and 80s. Now I only go because the club is in my blood and I will always support them, come what may.However, the enjoyment has gone.Neither Kalinic (who was superb last night) nor Di Santo will score goals as lone strikers with an uncreative midfield who fail to get round the back of defences. It was notable that the two chances which NK struck against the woodwork were from crosses near the by line, which defenders hate and this is the type of play I want to see. Not long balls booted upfield aimlessly, which Dunne and Collins lapped up in the first half.

5. Olsson should be given a chance. He has pace and although he was beaten a couple of times, he wont always be playing against a Lennon/Young type winger.

PS. For those asking about Judge, he played for Plymouth in midweek in the cup game against Newcastle, from which I presume that his loan has been extended.

Also Robbo last night was trying to play quick balls out to defenders last night but it was obvious that they wernt expencting it as they just stood there not having a clue why Robbo wasnt hoofing it!

I definitely noticed this. I remarked at the time that I suspected that he was unhappy with Allardyce's tactics and that he was being influenced by the crowd not to hit it long. But maybe I'm reading too much into this. He also went promptly back to hitting it long in teh second half, presumably under strict instructions from the manager.

Does noone else think that Nelson is one of our worst players? This guy is also our captin and i think that is where we are going wrong! He is a liability on the pitch and every single time he gets the ball he just kicks it as hard as he can, usually out of play!

Ever since his major injury a few years back, he hasn't been the same. He's slowly got worse and, for me, needs to be replaced as captain. I've thought this for two seasons now. Samba was also awful last night, but he and Givet would be our best option IMO.

Is it just me or was there a HUGE hole in the middle of the park where our midfield players should have been when Villa were hitting us on the break?

It was N'Zonzi's job to sit in front of the back four and give them some protection last night, but he was entirely absent in the first half. Villa just eased through our midfield and worked the ball in behind him over and over again. Not that he was the only one to blame - Dunn was poor and Emerton virtually invisible in the first half.

I agree with the most of that

MGP was bad at times but also very good. His crosses and link ups with Olsson were v good In the past few games hes one of the only players who looks like creating something.

Booing him off was disgusting

I

2.Without wishing to sound like SA, on another day we would have sneaked a 2-1 win with Kalinic hitting the post twice. OK, it would only be papering over the cracks, but how many times have we outplayed other sides only to lose (Sunderland) or draw (Liverpool).

I suspect the mood on the Messageboard would have been very different if those two efforts had gone in.

That is the ultimate denial comment. On another day Villa would have won that by 3 or 4 and we would be out of the tie was far, far more likely.

I agree with your points 1,3 and 5 though. However on point 4 I am beginning to move from neutral towards the baying crowd.

I remember when Nelsen used to be cool and composed on the ball. Now he has a panic attack every time he's in possesion.

He has the annoying habit of slicing it with his left foot every bloomin time!

• Backroom

I agree with the most of that

MGP was bad at times but also very good. His crosses and link ups with Olsson were v good In the past few games hes one of the only players who looks like creating something.

Booing him off was disgusting

People just don't like him, Dunny lost the ball more than anybody last night and not a peep, first time Pedersen loses it people get on his back

People just don't like him, Dunny lost the ball more than anybody last night and not a peep, first time Pedersen loses it people get on his back

Exactly

Atm hes one of the only players doing anything

His record in his last few games is good

0-1 Villa - Kalinic heads his cross onto the post

1-4 City - Scores a good goal

1-3 Villa - Kalinic scores from his corner. The Kalinic misses a chance from a quality MGP ball

2-2 Sunderland - Scores a good goal

1-2 Birmingham - Nelsen scores from his free kick

So in his last 5 games (he didnt play much against Wigan or Spurs) he has 2 well taken goals, 2 assists and 2 almost goals

Exactly

Atm hes one of the only players doing anything

His record in his last few games is good

0-1 Villa - Kalinic heads his cross onto the post

1-4 City - Scores a good goal

1-3 Villa - Kalinic scores from his corner. The Kalinic misses a chance from a quality MGP ball

2-2 Sunderland - Scores a good goal

1-2 Birmingham - Nelsen scores from his free kick

So in his last 5 games (he didnt play much against Wigan or Spurs) he has 2 well taken goals, 2 assists and 2 almost goals

Due to the large amount of corners/free-kicks and crosses we put in he should be getting a good numbers of assists in my opinion. Yes he scored two good goals against Man City and Sunderland but in general play he's still very average indeed. He's just too slow on the ball at times and lost possession a lot last night, whilst I don't agree with booing your own players I could understand it last night (don't know why the announcer did the show your appreciation bit for, it was plainly obvious what the reaction would be). Apart from the one cross that Niko should have headed in he was dreadful throughout. The worring thing is we don't have many betters options in the wide areas, Diouf is too slow, Emerton works hard but doesn't create enough, Holiett is still relatively experienced and Salgado is right-back playing on the wing.

Archived