BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Villa Semi Final Match Preview

Firstly the bad:

- Salgado he's just too slow to be a winger in my opinion and didn't offer anything going forward.

- Pedersen, just when you thought he couldn't get any worse...

Oh come on. How can you complain about Pedersen after today? Quality crosses and and corners, look at the pass when Kalinic hit the post with his header.

When Olsson came in Pedersen actually got some support on the left side and i liked what i saw. There a big difference playing an acutall left back on left back instead of using Givet who is totaly useless going forward..

Olssen is a liability as a defender though. Ashley Young passed him like he wasn't there.But I agree Givet is a centre-back.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah you seem to have overlooked that Salgado was playing that well known position:

A Central Defending Attacking Central Midfielder Defensive Midfielder on the Right Wing, upfront as striker

that actually cheered me up a bit, good to actauly laugh at something from tonight

Well said.

rubbish. i`m on the dole and can`t nothing like afford to go. note you mentioned kids there, i don`t have kids but i know of people that have numerous that haven`t tryed to work for years and live of the tax credit money meant for their kids, buying pricy designer gear for themselves and going out getting ######/coked up on the town every week, while feeding their kids(who the money is supposed to be for)the cheapest budget tat they can find(that`ll probably lead them to ill health before 40) and clothing them out of charity shops. these are the type of out of work people that can still `afford` to turn up at ewood regardless.

We were absolutely awful first half. We didn't want it badly enough, we didn't try to play football and we just watched as Villa played it around us. They got in behind our midfield with incredible ease and in behind the full backs as well.

The first 35 minutes of the second half, we were actually pretty good and deserved a goal. But, it didn't come and, again, we have paid the price for a poor start. The manager deserves some of the blame for his set-up and tactics, but if the players cannot motivate themselves for a cup semi final, then they're in the wrong profession. None of them really gave a ######. I don't think any of them really looked that bothered when the final whistle was blown.

The one positive from the performance was Kalinic. He looked every bit a £6.5m striker. His tireless work rate, ability to hold up the ball and play others in and his general aerial play were excellent. I don't understand why he isn't playing week in, week out.

The pressure mounts on Sam. Six games now for him to save his job IMO.

Because they looked disillusioned with the system they were playing. Do you know how to spell WHITE non-smartass?

Again, I don't know how you could demonstrate that, its just a perception on your part. For me,the second half showed that he hasn't lost the dressing room because they tried their guts out and only the post stopped us getting back in it.

A game of 2 halves yet again.

again someone not grasping the point i was trying to make!!!! what do such people do on a saturday? the game finished not later than 10pm.

tbh im that ###### off im not going into it anymore, iv made my point and im sure several people will agree with what iv said!

For all it's worth I've read what you've posted and think you're an absolute prick, with no grasp of real life and situations people may be in. Never is a scummy little teenager like yourself in a position to make a judgement on adults, living in the real world, who have more important their lives than Blackburn Rovers FC.

For the record, I was there.

having watched the first half,villa are totally deserving of a lead. rovers got away with a penalty...chimbonda...but villa got a break with the shot from dunn in the first five minutes.kuzan would not have got near it. salgado has played well.great positioning and intelligent passing. he has been completely let down by emerton, who cannot stay on his feet. dunn doesn't look fit and pederson should not get a place. he continues to be slow to deliver the cross and hits the ball into the defender every time.salgado when confronted made the cross...go figure. samba has no confidence and was at the wrong end of the pitch when villa scored.where were pederson and n'zonzi? why was salgado left to track back from right wing to try in vain to catch up with milner? not the worst that i have seen rovers play but it is getting close to the crap that hughes had them playing. i am now going to put on my flak jacket.

Serious question, do you have a mortage to pay? Kids to support?

Maybe you do but maybe others do and just £15 to them could be much more use elsewhere?

people have had 6 weeks to save up £15 for a semi final (we played chelsea on the 2nd of december, thats just £2.50 a week. hell you would struggle getting 10 fags for £2.50 (depending on what you smoke) hell you couldnt even get 4 liters of coca cola for £2.50. i manage to live of £50.90 a week, that includes fags and beer and my season ticket, not to mention my moblie phone contract and my broadband. hell a ss, child or yound adult cost just £5 (83p a week) so for a adult and a child it would cost a little over £3 a week, yet your telling me at least 25% of the fans who didnt turn up today (within a reasonable distance) couldnt afford £2.50 a week? please your talking out your brown hole

What does this mean for Sam, who knows, but it was VERY SIGNIFICANT that David Brown from the trust was at the game tonight.

I think your spot on with that one.

Another point I just remembered, Benni at half time was a p1sstake, the rest of them were warming up he spends 10 minutes talking to Carew before doing a few kick ups.

Whats the point in Benni warming up to then sit on the bench for another 30mins and be thrown on by a manager who doesn't seem to understand that he is the only current striker we have with a proven goalscoring record in the premiership and we can't score goals!

The crowd was dead at Ewood.

I'm not suprised after the rubbish we have seen in the last few games. Its nervous tension more than anything, a goal would have set us straight but they are in short supply at ewood.

I thought it was a nailed-on pen.

Was there not contact?

Nope nothing near. He started to go over before Samba's leg came out and there was no contact at all. Even the amazingly biased David Platt didn't think it was a penalty. Rightly booked. Lucky to get away with the Chimbonda handball but unlucky to get the handball given against Dunny second half. Clattenburg had a very strange game.

All in all I am very gutted. Nothing first half at all. I don't understand how we go from being so awful in first halves and then turning up for bits of second halves.

The only bright spark for me was Kalinic, I have said it before and I will keep saying it, this kid will come good. His movement, passing and shooting is brilliant. Just seems to get unlucky at the moment.

The back 4 are all over the place, Samba looks like he has jelly legs. Robinson is Robinson, and it is starting to annoy me now and it isn't his fault. Chimbonda was quite happy to allow the winger to have the ball and cross it or run past him.

The CMs give no support going forward or defending. They allow players time to pass it around and gain shooting opportunities.

The wingers can't cross, apart from the odd MGP one.

Dunn hasn't hit the ground running after his injury.

On Sam, I think he has lost it. For me the Reid sub was just a waste, when we had Hoilett and Di Santo sat there, yet he goes with Reid (who is not up to it). I presume Jacobsen was injured, if not another complete waste of a sub. He has to pick a team that is going to win a game and I don't think he did. We went to keep it tight and nick a goal. Well it worked well! All out attack in the second leg.

For all it's worth I've read what you've posted and think you're an absolute prick, with no grasp of real life and situations people may be in. Never is a scummy little teenager like yourself in a position to make a judgement on adults, living in the real world, who have more important their lives than Blackburn Rovers FC.

For the record, I was there.

well for a start if you check my profile you would see im not a teenager. 2nd i also think your a prick so the feeling is mutual

people have had 6 weeks to save up £15 for a semi final (we played chelsea on the 2nd of december, thats just £2.50 a week. hell you would struggle getting 10 fags for £2.50 (depending on what you smoke) hell you couldnt even get 4 liters of coca cola for £2.50. i manage to live of £50.90 a week, that includes fags and beer and my season ticket, not to mention my moblie phone contract and my broadband. hell a ss, child or yound adult cost just £5 (83p a week) so for a adult and a child it would cost a little over £3 a week, yet your telling me at least 25% of the fans who didnt turn up today (within a reasonable distance) couldnt afford £2.50 a week? please your talking out your brown hole

omg what was i saying? this is somebody that still lives with mummy and daddy ain`t it? you know nothing about living expense pal. mobile phone and broadband are your biggest financial commitments? come back when you know what your talking about..

• Backroom

Of course you know everybodies financial situation good for you, maybe you should consider being a financial adviser?

for the record it means nothing to me, I can afford to go so I do, if it gets to the point where I need to cut back then I would have to re evaluate.

It's not as simple as you make out though.

Oh and I take it this £50 a week pays your car and mortgage as well?

What does this mean for Sam, who knows, but it was VERY SIGNIFICANT that David Brown from the trust was at the game tonight.

I don't think there's anything to be read into that at all. David always or usually seems to support the Disabled Supporters functions at Ewood with his attendance so I presume he lives locally.

Although I don't know for sure.

Of course you know everybodies financial situation good for you, maybe you should consider being a financial adviser?

for the record it means nothing to me, I can afford to go so I do, if it gets to the point where I need to cut back then I would have to re evaluate.

It's not as simple as you make out though.

Oh and I take it this £50 a week pays your car and mortgage as well?

well if your really must know my finacial's, refering to saxo's post (if you must know i live with my mum, my dad passed away little under 7 month ago) after i pay my mum for my food ext ext i have roughtly £25 a week left over, again from that i manage to pay for my phone, broadband, season ticket (and as you know cup tickets) plus money for the pub and cigarettes.

as iv already said people have had just over 6 weeks to gather money for todays game, and if one doesnt have £2.50 a week or 50p a day to save then they are in serious finacial difficulies.

but ill leave you and saxo to assume you know everything regarding my ins and outs over my income, and assuming what one is like as a person, because to be honest i dont give a (Please don't use that word again) what you say, any true brfc supporter would of raised the funds to be there tonight. even if it was a huge pile of dog ######

Alright lads, Villa fan here in peace!!

I thought overall, 1-0 was a fair result, although you guys were unlucky to not score during your dominant spell in the second half. Kalinic looks like he has a lot of potential, and was quite unlucky tonight, especially with his second strike of the woodwork which wouldve been a cracking goal!

Clattenberg was pretty poor IMO, getting the handball wrong, and Gabby's booking was a joke - penalty or no penalty, it wasn't a dive. I also thought that McCarthy was lucky to escape with just a yellow for his stupid kick at Downing towards the final whistle, it was totally unneccessary.

The second leg should be interesting, even though you boys aren't in the best of form at the moment. You always look a threat from set pieces, and league form goes out of the window for a semi-final so who knows?

Best of luck for the second leg lads, just not too much hopefully!!

Im sorry but David Dunn just wasnt fit enough to play. He worked wonders but clearly was unfit. Should have started with Di santo instead.

What im gonna take from this game are superb performances by Kalinic and Robbo and i must say i have a little hunch that Salgado will be a very good player for us. You dont lose talent overnight and for me he shows passion and a bloody good workrate...once he finds his feet in this league he will come good.

I agree, Salgado can certainly whip a cross Bentley style into the middle and he looks confident on the ball. He is just not used to the pace although he covered a lot of ground tonight. Kalinic playing off scraps did very well and needs a close partner to support him. Benni looked too slow in the short time he was on.

We're in a must win game whereby the only realistic chance of going through the tie is to take a commanding lead to Villa Park, and we start one up front AGAIN.

WHY?

Can someone explain that? I mean at least in a League game you get a point for a draw but in this context a home draw is practically worthless!

Thanks for messing it up for us Sam. And that's not really the word I feel like using.

Good performances from Robinson and Kalinic - the latter of whom will no doubt get dropped for Sunday.

The only other plus point was that whilst we could have had a couple, Villa missed a host of chances to make the tie safe, in the unlikely event someone other than Allardyce was in charge for the return leg we might stand a puncher's chance.

I know, that's wht bothers me. Why why why. I ca n only put it down to some form of stubborn arrogance on Sams part. I will not be surprised if he drops Kalinic, he's done it before with him and Hoilett. Surely it must be so de-motivating to have this happen. I'm just totally gob smacked with the persistance of Sam. I,m thinking perhaps some form of medical leave and put the #2 in as #1, see has he does. To me the body language coming from Sam says he don't rightly give a toss.

I'm home after a near 8 hours on the road getting there and back. Thought the first half was poor so the second half was always going to be better. Pedersen was woeful apart from the one cross to niko. Thought he was class, two good efforts which both hit the post. Good hold up play and good upper body strength. Looked every bit an international striker.

Too tired to say much more now. Up for work in a few hours.

Well the only real positive for me is at least they only got the one away goal. Going to their place won't be easy but at least we know what we have to do and all that is is to win (Slight catch there), away goals will almost be in our favour as 1-0 would send it to penalties and any other winning scoreline puts us through. Of course a win tonight would have been better but at least we can now go down there and have a go knowing that we have to win and simply playing for a draw or keeping it tight won't be an option. Although I'm sure Sam will look at it thinking be cautious and try and nick a late goal to send it to ET.

Most people have summed up my thoughts already far better than I can but just a few thoughts about tonight and the short term future.

• If Kalinic doesn't play on the weekend in a 4-4-2 that doesn't involve Dunn as the other forward then Sam really needs to go
  • Why did it take so long to get another forward on?
  • Reid's been on form enough to suggest he's the one to bring on in a semi final has he?
  • The CB's have been all over the shop lately, meanwhile Givet's probably our best CB in my eyes but isn't a great LB, perhaps you can see the link there when he's fit again....
  • Was Andrews injured or dropped from the entire 18? If the latter then I fully expect him to start on the weekend
  • Thought Junior looked lively when he came on against City, no surprise he didn't feature today then, afterall we didn't want to show them the little pace we had and ruin the fun of letting them have all the pacey players
  • Has Sam ever admitted one tiny bit of blame for the poor results and performances and actually taken responsibility for what happens on the pitch or has he now in fact surpassed Ince in his ability to blame every man and his dog before taking a look at himself?
  • Is Judge back at the club? Surely he'd be worth a look in midfield at least from the bench, if we can't recall him then it was foolish to extend the loan/not include a recall option, whatever the case may be.
  • Either Benni needs to play more or you need to follow through on your half assed disciplinary measures of not meeting fitness targets, bringing him on when the team is desperate or giving him the occasional outing just sends out mixed messages. Either swallow your pride and play him or kick him out the squad and show a backbone, I don't care anymore but if Benni was happy and playing more he can at least put the ball in the back of the net, alternatively if he was not considered for selection until he meets whatever target you set him maybe he'd actually put the effort in with the fear of missing out on the WC.
  • Is Sam getting us relegated a possibility? I think yes and the cost of not sacking him could be far greater than any compensation fee we have to pay now.
  • Who'd be better? I don't know who'd be worse right now
  • Would Sam be a bit hard done by to get the sack because of poor performances from the senior players? Yes he would but life is unfair, ultimately the blame has to lie with him for not getting the best out of the players. It's not great but at the end of the day we certainly can't afford to replace the entire team so the only option is the manager, life isn't fair I'm sure Sam has learnt that by now at his age.
  • Call me old fashioned but playing a 4-4-2 with right back's at right back and right wingers at right wing etc etc always seemed to do well in the past for most teams, maybe I'm just behind the times, or just maybe Sam just needs to go.

Stay way fans to me are an embarassment and to me dont come back you think you've proved your point yet in my opinion you've just ridiculed the football club. John Williams and the board have always tried to do the best for our beloved football club yet in there hour of need you sh!t out. Well done i hope you enjoyed our defeat from the comfort of your armchair. Its pathetic that in a major semi final we have 13000 home supporters and dont tell me your an Allardyce hater as if we got rid of him who would be happy with as in my opinion theres not many out there. Hughes will never ever come back so is it Jewell Megson Dowie Curbishley none of them you'll be happy with no doubt but thats being relistic as to pay Big Sam off and bring a new man in will have to be a cheap option. Stop deluding yourselves and support our club in its hour of need if not F**k off and dont come back!!

I imagine much of this has been said but just my 2p worth. We were undermined tonight by Sam's tactics no question.

The first half was truly atrocious yet in the second, for the most part we stopped persisting with punting it up the field every five minutes. In patches we played ok, in others we looked short on ideas and confidence as you might expect. I can't accept that Sam is briefing the players prior to the game for them to play as per the second half only to watch them go out and play hoofball in the first. It has to be on his instruction.

I can only imagine that he persists with this strategy in the hope that we can keep it tight to have a go later in the game. (Like Thenodrog alluded to earlier in the week). This would be ok if he didn't simultaneously persist with the high risk strategy of sending Samba up for every goal kick, especially against a pacy counter-attacking team who were looking to soak up pressure, break quickly and nick a cheeky goal if they can.

It's predictable, ineffective and the risk far outstripped the reward in a two legged tie. We've got Nzonzi there to win headers if need be. I'm laying the blame for that one at his door as well.

Whoever took the bull by the horns at half time deserves some credit as there was a marked improvement. If that was Sam then fair play but he dropped us in it with selection and tactics in the first half.

I took a bit more heart from patches of the second half (as compared to Monday which was genuinely depressing). Especially the performance of Kalinic who simply must be given a run in the team to try and get him some confidence before any permanent damage is done. I fear the situation has got a bit of a Grabbi vibe at the minute which would be unfair on the lad as he's got bags more potential and was desperately unlucky not to score two good goals tonight. How many black cats he's run over I don't know.

We're in a must win game whereby the only realistic chance of going through the tie is to take a commanding lead to Villa Park, and we start one up front AGAIN.

WHY?

Can someone explain that? I mean at least in a League game you get a point for a draw but in this context a home draw is practically worthless!

Thanks for messing it up for us Sam. And that's not really the word I feel like using.

Good performances from Robinson and Kalinic - the latter of whom will no doubt get dropped for Sunday.

The only other plus point was that whilst we could have had a couple, Villa missed a host of chances to make the tie safe, in the unlikely event someone other than Allardyce was in charge for the return leg we might stand a puncher's chance.

totally agree rev. however, this cup tie is far from over. i am sure you will be there on wednesday, just like myself, so lets sing those blues to wembley.

I agree, Salgado can certainly whip a cross Bentley style into the middle and he looks confident on the ball. He is just not used to the pace although he covered a lot of ground tonight. Kalinic playing off scraps did very well and needs a close partner to support him. Benni looked too slow in the short time he was on.

Kalinic was a gem. I think Sam got this decision right. Kalinic is the future of the Rovers.

I thought Salgado's performance was more than satisfactory. He defended well (for the most part) and was in charge when he had the ball. Unlike a few Rovers, he did not habitually give the ball away on a pass. While he may have tired, I really question Sam's decision to bring him off and replace him with Reid. Hoilett I could see. But Reid?

Benni was a waste. I didn't see a star. From what I saw of him, he was a 32 year old, not quite fit player, who is simultaneously on the downward slide and possessing a major attitude. Get rid of him.

totally agree rev. however, this cup tie is far from over. i am sure you will be there on wednesday, just like myself, so lets sing those blues to wembley.

The good news with todays result, is that on the second leg the Rovers have to come out guns blazing. Trying to "keep it tight" and "nicking a win" won't work when we're already one down. I really hope its a Hoilett, Kalinic and Di Santo front line starting at Chelsea. I think they would score more than a couple of goals. Which we'll need. :unsure:

The good news with todays result, is that on the second leg the Rovers have to come out guns blazing. Trying to "keep it tight" and "nicking a win" won't work when we're already one down. I really hope its a Hoilett, Kalinic and Di Santo front line starting at Chelsea. I think they would score more than a couple of goals. Which we'll need. :unsure:

Totally agree, in fact that's the way they should have been playing all season,sure we would have lost some games but we would have won more than we have plus the fans are happy.

It's not rocket science Sam (even though you would have us believe that) just put Kalinic and Di Santo up front with one other in close company yes Hoilet's a good choice and let them loose.

Sadly though I have the feeling that the only way we will win this semi is if someone else is in charge.

Archived