BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan At Home - 27Th January 2010

cn174

Very good mellison. Just gone 2-1 up and you join in booing with the experts behind the bbe goal. :rolleyes: Sometimes it's better to put your brain into gear before engaging your gob.

Fact is that God gave us 2 eyes, 2 ears and only one mouth..... you should endeavour to use them in that order and try getting the rest of the numpty's around you to as well. :angry2:

Why on earth would any right thinking person chant for us to go 4-4-2 when we are playing a team with a strong 5 man midfield? Did you hear the Wigan fans berating Martinez for playing a 4-5-1 formation? Fact is that the majority of the Prem play just one up top but apparently we musn't do that cos we once had Shearer and Sutton.

If you read my post properly, you would know that AT THE TIME I wanted Kalinic to stay on. He'd just scored ffs! I thought it was Sam going: 'You've scored, so we're taking you off sunshine'. I wanted him as part of the 2-strikers up front......

if you can see his reasoning - why did you bother booing?

I booed not thinking about Kalinic being knackered. I thought, he's scored, he's on a high, let him carry on. It was when I gopt home I thought about him being fit for west ham and fair play to the sub in the end.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What Kalinic is not as good at is winning balls in the air.

Sorry, but I can't agree with this. I think he is extremely good in the air, both at flicking on and taking down long punts from the back and also at winning crosses and corners in the box.

When Sam came to Rovers last season, I thought then Rovers would survive. I then expected Rovers to kick on good this season - I was cofident that Rovers would finish a comfortable top 10 without any fear of relegation. Then things started to wobble this season. I started to think Sam had lost the dressing room and the players were not responding to him. I hated the fact that in some games Rovers were not having ago at teams and were just siting back. I therefore wanted Sam out - though prefered if Sam sorted himself out first.

Now I think that there was some clear the air talks from everybody after Man city away game. What was said etc only they know. Because since that game there has been a marked change - not perfect, but much better. Had there been players causing trouble in the dressing room, if there was I suspect Bennie. I also think Sam has realised that Andrews is not a good player - but can be used if need be (no choice due to injury)

I have to respect the way Sam has treated Kalinic - though I didn't at first. But I believe we are now seeing the benefits of Sam holding him back. He now needs to do something simular to Di Santo.

but the booing by the supporters, DURING THE GAME, is pathetic. Yes we want attacking football,442 or whatever. But voice that AFTER the game. Stay behind, sit in and chant it. It will be told / heard / reported etc in the dressing room and the board etc. But during the game every single supporter should do what they can to lift the team, get behind the players. Even when they make a stupid mistake, try to lift them up to encourage them to play better. Most of us respond to encouragement, but get deflated when the opposite is given.

It looks like and I hope it continues that Sam has had a hard look at himself, the players have done the same and are starting to work together as a team. Like or dislike Sam, his tactics etc we have to support the club through thick and thin.

100% agree. I hate booing at the best of times, but booing during a game and booing players that are coming on (ala Keith Andrews) is pretty cringe worthy. There are far too many (fans) as well (I believe someone eluded to this in an earlier post) that when we have a bad patch in the game they started screaming and shouting. The amount of times I winced at some idiot behind me shouting "Get out of our club you fat barsteward!" "Sort this @#/? out you fat cunexttuesday!"

I think many fans need a reality check.

To be fair here, I do think Sam has handled the lad well, brought him in gently in 'non pressure' games and Kalinic has responded and is now up to speed, he is easing Junior in that way too, its easy at the bigger clubs who are going well, you can drop a young lad in there and its much easier for them to play in a winning and confident team!!

When you are in a battle, its a bit more difficult bringing them through!

I booed not thinking about Kalinic being knackered. I thought, he's scored, he's on a high, let him carry on.

More likely the herd mentality that someone else mentioned earlier? Only takes a few to start then the easily swayed will just join in.

Sorry, but I can't agree with this. I think he is extremely good in the air, both at flicking on and taking down long punts from the back and also at winning crosses and corners in the box.

I agree - he's scored two goals from corners in the last two games. His hold up play is sublime at times. Possibly needs a little bit more upper body strength work, but for me he does a better job in the lone striker position than any of our other forwards (potentially due to the improved support from midfield).

What Kalinic is not as good as is winning balls in the air

:lol::lol::lol:

you're kidding right? holding the ball up and laying it off or turning the defender is one of his strongest attributes. brings it down on his chest about 6 times a game with a defender in his back when most others would head the ball on. he missed it a couple of times last night, but that's to be expected when playing up front on your own - you can't be everywhere at once. he won the majority of them though.

For what its worth my estimate is that roughly a third of fans were against him from the start, maybe more and look for any excuse. With the herd mentality common among football fans that's influenced a lot more to jump on the bandwagon.This continues whether we win or not.In case anyone thinks these idiots know anything about football its only days since they were booing Pedersen. And the cheers when he was announced as Sponsers MOM were embarrassingly small, even though he thoroughly deserved it.

When people say Rovers fans have been spoilt by the Jack Walker years they are dead right. We want champagne football on Thwaites investment and, of course, at fizzy pop ticket prices.

I don't think it's the fans that were against Sam from the beginning that are to blame for showing their dislike for his tactics. I think it's the ones who first gave him a chance and have now become ever more jaded.

For example we bossed the game last night, then went 1-0 up and then after that tried to contain Wigan for what seemed like was going to be the rest of the match. Is this Sam's fault? Does he tell them to do this? If his interviews are to be believed (not just in this match but the other times this has happened this season) it's the players that wanted to sit deep and contain the opposition. And it's at these times that we seem to drop deep and end up conceding a goal (or more). In any case it's got to stop as it clearly doesn't work. Especially as when it was hoofed back up the field it was left to Kalanic to try and get the ball, hold it up and wait to pass the ball on. Most of the time he couldn't be everywhere so didn't get it. If another striker had been alongside him there would have been more chance of latching onto the clearances.

Before we scored we were much better, so I can't help thinking that they are under orders to do this. It was like someone flicked a switch.

It's not champagne football that some folks are after (I don't expect that), it's just getting rid of this containing game, standing off and hoofing it to a lone striker running his socks off, then conceding a goal against poor opposition. Not only that but when we start containing the opposition we seem to let them run at us and don't put any tackles in. When we're going forward we seem much stronger passers, tacklers... All round really. I didn't see anyone complaining before our first goal.

I don't think it's the fans that were against Sam from the beginning that are to blame for showing their dislike for his tactics. I think it's the ones who first gave him a chance and have now become ever more jaded.

For example we bossed the game last night, then went 1-0 up and then after that tried to contain Wigan for what seemed like was going to be the rest of the match. Is this Sam's fault? Does he tell them to do this? If his interviews are to be believed (not just in this match but the other times this has happened this season) it's the players that wanted to sit deep and contain the opposition. And it's at these times that we seem to drop deep and end up conceding a goal (or more). In any case it's got to stop as it clearly doesn't work. Especially as when it was hoofed back up the field it was left to Kalanic to try and get the ball, hold it up and wait to pass the ball on. Most of the time he couldn't be everywhere so didn't get it. If another striker had been alongside him there would have been more chance of latching onto the clearances.

Before we scored we were much better, so I can't help thinking that they are under orders to do this. It was like someone flicked a switch.

It's not champagne football that some folks are after (I don't expect that), it's just getting rid of this containing game, standing off and hoofing it to a lone striker running his socks off, then conceding a goal against poor opposition. Not only that but when we start containing the opposition we seem to let them run at us and don't put any tackles in. When we're going forward we seem much stronger passers, tacklers... All round really. I didn't see anyone complaining before our first goal.

You just described me.

Rest of that is spot on too. Good post.

Nope. I support Allardyce generally (apart from when he went off the boil a couple of weeks ago). I was fooked off with him taking off Niko and joined in the booing (not the 442 chant though). However, I see his reasoning to save him for West Ham game, as he'd worked his ###### off.

Why has booing at every decsion and passage of play you don't like become acceptable to many fans?

It is bloody awful, totally counterproductive and not something I ever thought Rovers fans were about.

One clown near me, spent the whole second half whistling (two fingers in mouth kind), did'nt even cheer the winning goal :huh:

I never boo, even at the end of the game, I prefer to not clap and cheer if its a load of $hite. But at half time/full time I can fully understand a good hearty boo if merited. But some of the moronic outbursts at the minute are disgusting.

It's not champagne football that some folks are after (I don't expect that), it's just getting rid of this containing game, standing off and hoofing it to a lone striker running his socks off, then conceding a goal against poor opposition.

Hammer, nail, bang, good post.

Most fans are not after Champagne football, but they want to be entertained and see a bit of fight.

Why cant our own fans understand that we can be on top of the game for 30 minutes, than wigan can have a decent spell for 15 without it being Sam's fault?

Sam also said that Roberto Martinez and Wigan had found out better for the second half how to play and we needed to change our approach.

Football is a dynamic game and if you dont like it - go watch chess or something.

Why cant our own fans understand that we can be on top of the game for 30 minutes, than wigan can have a decent spell for 15 without it being Sam's fault?

Sam also said that Roberto Martinez and Wigan had found out better for the second half how to play and we needed to change our approach.

Football is a dynamic game and if you dont like it - go watch chess or something.

hey, leave chess out of this

whilst it's not mega dynamic it's more tactical than football

Reflections on last night ….. we won, which is the main thing. Didn’t think we played badly, but then we didn’t play particularly well either, but we were better than Wigan. Thought the tactics were terrible again – BFS please listen – 1 up front is bloody awful at home, and while it worked for 20 mins against Villa it is absolutely NOT the way forward. Yes we won, but it was in spite of the tactics, not because of them - how many saves did their keeper make? One or two at the most? But for Pedersen’s snapshot and a set-piece goal we would have struggled.

Positives:

Pedersen – thought that was his best game since the Chelsea FA Cup Semi by a mile. He made more tackles last night than he’s made in the rest of his Rovers career combined. If – and it’s a huge if – he understands that level of performance is required every week and not just when you are after a new contract and/or the transfer window is open, he might just have a future at Rovers. The worry is he will sign a new contract and sink back to the usual mediocrity we’ve suffered since 2007.

Kalinic – worked ever so hard, but I think he could be even better if only he played with a strike partner. Most people can see that Di Santo would be an ideal foil for him – why can Allardyce not?

Givet – outstanding in his proper position. Note to BFS – he is NOT a left back.

Reid – added some steel in the middle, and really should be starting games now.

Negatives:

Tactics – in my opinion completely wrong at home. We should be attacking from the off, looking to get a lead then maybe trying to defend that in the last 20 mins. Not trying to defend 0-0, then looking to nick a goal in the last 20 minutes. Just seems bizarre to me, and unnecessarily negative at home.

Diouf – apart from the opening 3 minutes when he looked up for it, was complete toss. Get rid – ASAP.

Chimbonda – looks half asleep half the time - was at fault for the goal. Time to give Salgado a run in his proper position?

Booing the Kalinic sub – he was obviously knackered and being rested for weekend, and while I agree we should be starting games more positively than we do the sub was the right decision.

Still two wins on the bounce so it’s not as bad as it looked a couple of weeks ago.

Yes we won, but it was in spite of the tactics, not because of them - how many saves did their keeper make? One or two at the most?

One shot in the post. Hoilett almost scoring from close range. Goalkeeper saving Nzonzis shot and Roberts shot.

We made some decent chances last night - I don't understand why everyone is whining. We could/should have been 3 up against them. They didnt have many dengerous shots on Robbo.

A game dominated by the referee, who seemed to think Nzonzi was akin to Peter Sutcliffe on a night out on Dixon Street.

Diouf was a waste of space again..i'm sure he though we were singing Diouuuuuff when he went off....no El Haj, we were actually booing, (and not because we didn't agree with the sub either).

Hoillett had a poor game. Givets distribution was shocking.

I'm sure Sam is out to destroy Nilos confidence. Yes he was tiring, but why take him off before we kicked off. Bring Di Santo and and at least give him 5 minutes.

Ollson had another good game, as did Nzonzi and Pedersen.

On to Upton Park........

Diouf played really well in the first half, the best I have seen from him in a Rovers top. One ball through to Kalinic, which saw him ruled offside (wrongly I thought...) was sublime, left Niko clean through.

Niko was Onside. Terrible decision by the linesmen.

Diouf played really well in the first half, the best I have seen from him in a Rovers top. One ball through to Kalinic, which saw him ruled offside (wrongly I thought...) was sublime, left Niko clean through.

Ball at his feet he has the lot, skill, vision, rarely gives it away. Unfortunately not enough if you are playing wide in this league.

Archived