BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan At Home - 27Th January 2010

cn174

Am I the only one that thought Diouf was pretty good in the first half? He linked up with with the rest of the midfield pretty well with everyone else doing his running. When the pace was taken off (I assume Jr picked up a knock, though why did Sam switch wings?), with Reid being less mobile in the middle and Emerton less so on the right wing, he vanished from the game. That's when the 4-5-1 variant failed as nobody could get up to support Kalinic.

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Fat Sam sure is banking on youth and pace tonight with Pedersen and Spit!

I would really love to know what the "positive" people from the Villa defeat have to say about this now. I really would.

What do we have to say? Pedersen was the best player on the pitch......Diouf was sh!te.

have'nt seen any of the match but by the stats we are getting pummelled....we are the home team right, and they are little old wigan ..fooks sake!!!

what is going on

Get to the ground and support your team...We scored 2, hit bar & post and I think they had 1 chance (which was a foul) and they scored from it

I wish the Ewood crowd would stay behind the team though, they turned when things weren't going our way (Wigan were always going to come into the game). One minute booing, singing songs about the tactics then we go ahead then all is forgiven signing 'Big Sam's blue and white army' again. We all need to back the team, through thick and thin and stop the negative chanting.

Agreed...at 1-1 booing, chants about tactics etc are not really needed - as the goal proved. We went to 4-4-2 and didnt score another!

Was discussing after the game why Sam seems intent on not playing Di Santo and Kalinic together

We reached the conclusion that perhaps Allardyce is concerened that if the 2 strike up a good/prolific partnership together he will be forced to play both in 4-4-2 formation rather than his favoured 4-5-1. As such he won't give them time together on the pitch.

Wonder what others think?

Its a ploy - they probably do the business in training but we dont want the price to go up...so we are just trying to get the fee as low as possible before we unleash them! ha

Also did Chimbonda go over to the Wigan fans at the end?

Sure did - he was pumping his fists at them and showing them his shirt and then pointing to his name to them..

Sure did - he was pumping his fists at them and showing them his shirt and then pointing to his name to them..

Ye that's what I heard, Chimbonda woah ohh :) ha top guy, I was too busy looking at Nelsen, OMG when will I stop loving him, I've become slightly obsessed, if I met him I think I'd faint :wub:

We reached the conclusion that perhaps Allardyce is concerened that if the 2 strike up a good/prolific partnership together he will be forced to play both in 4-4-2 formation rather than his favoured 4-5-1. As such he won't give them time together on the pitch.

Wonder what others think?

Come on, that's ridiculous.

Almost every single team in the league plays with one striker supported by attacking midfielders, the criticism aimed at Sam for favouring this is outrageous. If people in Blackburn started looking beyond their nose they might notice this. The booing will effect the team in the end...but no-one will take responsibility of course, the scape goat is already lined up.

This was another big win for us. I pointed to the up coming fixtures as the most important ones for the rest of the season. As they are against teams around and below us in the league. We have beaten Fulham and now Wigan. We should go into the West Ham game confident of getting a result. I was delighted that Kalinic got his first goal in the league. He looked really good again tonight and is adapting well to the pace and physicality of the league. Pedersen had a good game and should continue this form on, if he wants a new contract.

come on philip! cheer up!

I don't think Philip is a Sam hater. I think he's a pragmatist. Once his faith is lost, it has to be re-earned. I don't have a problem with that. It's up to Sam to convince fans like Philip. A string of several wins would likely go a long way, I suspect.

I, on the other hand, am an optimist. Despite some recent concerns, I think Sam will take us to the top ten this season. :brfcsmilie:

Maybe we can go an unbeaten run and beat all 4 teams? That would be nice :)

That would be more than nice. That would be fantastic. And imagine the confidence when we go against Liverpool, who haven't been their best. :)

If he could stop hitting the woodwork he'd be a 15 goal a season striker on his own.

Is this league goals only? I think he's likely to hit that number this year, if in all competitions.

Kelbo and Maji new BRFC Management team! :lol:

I could go for that. :P

MOTM by a country mile though was Pedersen, simply superb in my opinion, did nearly everything right, worked hard, got stuck in, hit the bar, set up the winner and scored a belter.

I like what MGP is doing now. My concern is why its taken 2-3 years to step up. I can't shake the feeling that his contract expiring soon has something to do with it. If so, what's to stop him from going to sleep again after he's signed?

Basturk, though, has barely played in the last 18 months for former club Stuttgart and, while that is a worry, Allardyce is hoping he has unearthed another hidden gem.

. . .

``I hope this lad will do the same. He certainly has the pedigree anyway.

``We will introduce him in two to three weeks' time, and let's see what he can do.''

I think this is very prudent. Give him a few weeks to get in shape and integrate into the team. I suspect that Sam may have it another homerun this time around.

Sitting at the opposite side of the ground it looked like the player was rubbing the ball, then when he went to lift it over his head to begin the motion, the ball spurned out of his hands and onto the floor - was it like this?.

If so, then the player hadnt properly finished his throw, so retake it. Theres no foul throw because the player hasnt completed the procedure to put the ball into play.

From where I was sat it looked like he'd started the throw and it just came out of his hands? But now I'm doubting myself...

Okay it wasn't exactly exciting stuff but I don't understand all the negativity that seems to surround Ewood every time we appear to be having a bad spell in the game. The first half I thought was an improvement on recent home games with Hoilett, Pedersen and Kalinic all being impressive.

We started the second half very poorly and started to let Wigan back into the game and they got the goal when they had the momentum, although having seen the goal again it could have possibly been ruled out because Chimbonda was stopped from jumping to head the ball. Then again the referee was probably the worse we've had down in here this season, Wigan were falling over like orange fairies and the referee gave them free-kick after free-kick.

Got the second goal at a crucial time, just when we appeared to be getting back into the game a little. Nobody deserved a goal more than Kalinic who had a tough job against Wigan's centrebacks but he never stopped working. Add to that the Pedersen chance that hit the crossbar, Klainic's that hit th epost and Nzonzi's chance that he hit straight at the keeper and you would say it really could have been a more comfortable win than the scoreline suggests. Wigan played some decent football and times without ever really threatening the goal. We on the other hand didn't play much in terms of good football but created far better chances.

So overall have got to be happy, and it appears we move upto 11th which isn't at all bad, although i'm sure the anti-Big Sam crew will find some arguement to say it's not. I'd like to see Olsson play on the left winger instead of Diouf, Olsson offers a lot more going forward than Diouf, who's got the extremely annoying tendancy to hold onto the ball for too long. Pedersen played well in his new central midfield role and we should stick with him there when playing this 4-5-1 formation.

The fans sing we want two strikers on and 442, Sam brings on two strikers but takes off the goalscorer who would have been subbed regardless, yet the fans boo, WHAT? I wish they'd make their mind up.

Did anyone listen to Radio Lancashire?

Also did Chimbonda go over to the Wigan fans at the end?

The reason that the subbing of Kalinic was boo'ed is because we (fans) wanted him to stay on as a part of 2 up front.

The pairing of Roberts and Di Santo seemed to work well.

The game was enjoyable in the first half, thought we looked a team that has found a new lease of life. Second half started disapointing... not sure why we lost momentum.

I am getting tired of seeing some of our players not being prepared to make a challenge.

Emerton played with determination tonight and that is more than pleasing.

You've got to wonder at the intelligence of some of our so-called fans ... booing the substitution of the clearly knackered Kalinic for the fresh legs of Roberts and Di Santo.

Big, big win last night and sets us up nicely to bury the Hammers Hoodoo.

The reason that the subbing of Kalinic was boo'ed is because we (fans) wanted him to stay on as a part of 2 up front.

Sam rested him and I think he needed a rest. The lads still young, Sam is doing the best thing, he'd started just 2 games in this league before this game, Sam is handling the situation in the best possible way, why the fans can't see this, I don't know.

Sam rested him and I think he needed a rest. The lads still young, Sam is doing the best thing, he'd started just 2 games in this league before this game, Sam is handling the situation in the best possible way, why the fans can't see this, I don't know.

Totally agree. Idiotic fans. It is only 3 days till the next game and Roberts / Di Santo actually made a difference against knackered wigan centre-backs.

The table sure is happy reading today.

Burnley in the relegation zone and we on 11th.

Agree with most of the posters here, we started much better than we used to, it was quite an adventurous line up with the wide men, MGP showed up again (His goal was class BTW)and he got stuck in, he didn't jib either.

Kali worked very hard as well as having a great touch, maybe unlucky not to get a brace or more. (He hit the post but took his header well)

The ref was the worst I've seen in some time, and that's saying something isn't it.

Wigan cheated as much as Arsenal and Villa do, falling over at the slightest touch, I've now seen their goal again (This time on TV instead of from the BBE), assualt on Chimbonda basically, how earth was that allowed to stand? It was a joke! Although Chimbonda hardly stood his ground, he is poor overall at the moment and does "Shirk"

I thought Nelson was solid, as was Givet, Emerton still on the road back for me, but a good outlet and some good distribution, fell sorry for N Zonzi, he's made a big step up very quickly but looked knackered in the 2nd half, he def. needs a rest, but the options on the bench didn't look attractive!

Diouf is really starting to irritate me, acknowledged, he's a skillful player, but a dispicable character, he shirks and moans and when he nearly cost us a goal, he wouldn't accept his bollocking off Robbo, of course Mr Bling, it is everyone else's problem that you didn't follow instructions not to fart about with the ball on the edge of your own box when being closed down by 3 "Stewards in disguise." (Wigan players for those who didn't see their away strip)

Would have still liked to have seen us with Di Santo and Kali from the off, but 3 points we needed and 3 points we've got, we're 11th

Respect also to The Darren End Massive, keep up the good work lads, we tried to keep going in NO2 but it's just not happening often enough, we're seriously considering defecting from the BBE away from some of the Sam haters...

p.s. Wigan are rubbish, but I do like the look of Rodiaga and N Zogbia and I hate that diving cheating git Scharner.

Couple of quick points...

Chimbonda - I thought he had one of his best games. Down the right for us he stopped them time and time again. He was calm, collected and efficient. The foul on him for their goal was ridiculous but just about summed the ref up.

Diouf - Was brilliant... for about 5 minutes! He started the game like a house on fire then just went into crap mode. Disapointed with him again.

Pedersen - Excellent throughout and nicked the ball constantly in midfield and actually allowed Brett Emerton to play instead of having to try and cover two places. Deserved his man of the match award and then some.

Nzonzi - I thought he was very good in that role just in front of the back 4. Part of the reason they didn't get really near our goal. All their shots were long range and poor (they had a few mind).

Kalinic - Works so hard and is now scoring. You really can't ask for more from a player as young as he is. Pure quality.

Good sub by Big Sam to bring on Di Santo and Roberts. Di Santo just needs to score. Roberts could have had a goal if his shot hadn't been so weak. All he needed to do was hit it firmer and a little wider than he did. How we didn't get three at the end I do not know.

Referee - How poor? The throw was a typical example. The player took the ball behind his head, brought it forward and stopped as if he was changing his mind. He lost control of the ball and it fell in front of him. Pedersen ran upfield with the ball but the ref decided the player hadn't taken the throw and hadn't made a mistake and gave the throw back to the player. It was either a foul throw or it was a good one but either way we should have ended up with the ball. Big Sam was jumping up and down at that one! The ref was so often wrong and so often blatantly biased it was untrue. There were kicks on Kalinic (one by Bramble was so obvious), Junior and a few others that were clearly ignored but at one point Nzonzi went close to Sharner, who spends more time on his arse than his feet, (and all Nzonzi did was literally get close to him) and next thing Sharner is rolling around on the floor like he'd been shot. The free kick was given again. Awful referee and I hope I never see him again.

You've got to wonder at the intelligence of some of our so-called fans ... booing the substitution of the clearly knackered Kalinic for the fresh legs of Roberts and Di Santo.

Big, big win last night and sets us up nicely to bury the Hammers Hoodoo.

Thick as pig-###### I'd suggest. Herd mentality to boot.

Respect also to The Darren End Massive, keep up the good work lads

Just to echo this - fantastic work lads. My season ticket is in the Jack Walker upper and they put the rest of the ground to shame. If I didn't have my season ticket, I'd certainly want to be in the Darwen End. They were making a lot of noise early in the second half - looked a real party atmosphere.

Looking at the Wigan goal, it really should have been a free kick as their player was all over Chimbonda.

Oh, and Kalinic continues to impress me. He will be well worth the money we paid, I'm sure.

I'm not so sure, if you look at the players reactions then that usually tells its own story and the boys were roundly looking at Chimbo as if to say "comon mate, you didn't put up much of a battle there". I think Chimbo felt someone on his back, took it for granted that he'd just get a foul and went down far too easily.

Your on the money with Niko - it's hard not to be excited about this lad right now.

I'm not so sure, if you look at the players reactions then that usually tells its own story and the boys were roundly looking at Chimbo as if to say "comon mate, you didn't put up much of a battle there". I think Chimbo felt someone on his back, took it for granted that he'd just get a foul and went down far too easily.

Your on the money with Niko - it's hard not to be excited about this lad right now.

Perhaps, but ultimately he was impeded, and soft or not a foul is a foul. I was actually surprised at the lack of reaction from our players.

Good to see Kalinic finally getting off the mark in the league. Sam may be taking it easy with his introduction, but that's definitely a monkey he'll be glad to get off his back.

Archived