BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Might Have Been Sold?

'embrace the culture' 'multi cultural Ewood Park'

What does becoming a 'multi cultural club' involve exactly? So a Bollywood star doing a regal wave from the centre circle or changing the concourse menu will do this will it?

The vast majority of the Asian population have swerved Ewood Park whilst walking around the town in glory clubs shirts for decades. Of course there are Asian supporters at Ewood presently, but I would say 90% plus support Liverpool or United, an allegiance that will go back to their fathers and grandfathers- just like the posters on here with BRFC, It will take some doing to expect thousands to convert to being Rovers fans. Especially with the inevitable glamour and success that comes with supporting such clubs as Utd.

Let's not patronise Asian football fans in thinking that a few gimmicks will get them down to Ewood.

Come on Matty-B ... you sound like you don't even want to try to entice the local Asian heritage population down to Ewood. It has been well documented on these pages why they are currently under-represented in the stands ... the main reason being their dads didn't take them. Would we have ventured down to Ewood if our relatives hadn't taken us? I seriously doubt whether I would have bothered.

By the way ... a couple of weeks ago whilst shopping in the Mall I took note of all the football shirts I saw. I meant to post the results at the time .. but they depressed me too much! Eight ManUre and two Chelsea shirts .... all sported by Caucasian males. The solitary Rovers shirt was being worn by an Asian lad ... certainly made me think. :rock:

• Replies 9.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My view

cricket in India and the IPL is HUGE. Mumbai Indians are the biggest attraction and are watched by Millions.

A link up for Rovers grants the Indians a massive in for media/sport in the EPL. Everyone knows the big 2 sell their tv rights to the Far East so why couldnt Rovers tv rights be sold to India ?

They clearly have a market/business plan and they clearly have some serious money.

SKY started with the sky dancers and look at what they have now achieved ?

the other day we had a visitor in East Lancs, an Iman from Saudi, he got the attention of over 15000 locals and he was only here for 3 hours. the plan of having a Bollywood actor attend the ground isnt too bad a thing, the last big actor from India who came to Preston brought out over 15000 and he was here for 15 minutes such was his popularity. I could certainly see the attraction of such a person being brought to the game to entice the local Asian population out.

The Asian community are a colourful lot. We see it when they have the weddings and festivals. Why not deck them out in blue and white ?

There aint nothing wrong with having a balti pie or a samosa at the ground. Its a change and most would sample it. i think the days of pie and a bovril are long gone. I am sure Ozz would approve and we could also have the locals giving the marks out of ten for the curry of the day !

I do think there is the potential that some appear to be mocking. Our club is a community club our town is a town in need of a shake up, something for people to focus on rather than the doom and gloom normally associated with it. I say let the Shah group come in and lets see what they can offer Rovers and the town.

Uncle Jack did it so why cant another do it ?

Complete (chicken Balti) pie in the sky Roverite and you know it :rolleyes: ......and NO I'm no racist either before anyone has a pop!

Come on Matty-B ... you sound like you don't even want to try to entice the local Asian heritage population down to Ewood. It has been well documented on these pages why they are currently under-represented in the stands ... the main reason being their dads didn't take them. Would we have ventured down to Ewood if our relatives hadn't taken us? I seriously doubt whether I would have bothered.

By the way ... a couple of weeks ago whilst shopping in the Mall I took note of all the football shirts I saw. I meant to post the results at the time .. but they depressed me too much! Eight ManUre and two Chelsea shirts .... all sported by Caucasian males. The solitary Rovers shirt was being worn by an Asian lad ... certainly made me think. :rock:

Well that's where you are wrong, I have said for years now that the best thing for the town is to see a packed Ewood Park with a few thousand Asians in the crowd, I just can't see it.

And as for glory shirts, it is unfortunately a plague that is engulfing the whole of England. I often play footy at the soccerdome and whenever I see groups of kids, Rovers come a very poor third in the shirt stakes behind you know who. However I digress!

Will we get to see the one that was on Big Brother again????

Topman, if one wants replies to ones questions, one must clear out the PM trash.

That's Shilpa Shetty and she OWNS an IPL team now, so you may just see her down at Ewood cross marketing!

The Indian Premierleague?...lets be honest,about as much interest to Rovers fans as us supporting fookin Burnley.

I think most dont want a situation were our club is playing second fiddle to and being 'used' as a toy to promote the IPL.Invest by all means but Rovers FIRST AND FOREMOST over here Mr Shah thank you!

The door of Ewood is open to ALL colours and creeds of supporter.

The Indian Premierleague?...lets be honest,about as much interest to Rovers fans as us supporting fookin Burnley.

I think most dont want a situation were our club is playing second fiddle to and being 'used' as a toy to promote the IPL.Invest by all means but Rovers FIRST AND FOREMOST over here Mr Shah thank you!

The door of Ewood is open to ALL colours and creeds of supporter.

Sadly from experience, I know that Blackburn is not. though I will NOT tarnish everybody from Blackburn with that brush. Sadly there are a few individuals who hate any person who is not English - even if they are wearing a Rovers shirt.

I am English and my wife is Chinese (though UK born - brought up in Malaysia) not so long ago my wife an I came to Blackburn for christmas, basically a football holiday as we are both Rovers supporters. Something we do each year (each to their own etc) We were in the market, near the toilet and newspaper stand, when my wife was racially abused - the words being 'how dare you wear that shirt and you being a chink' there was a lot more abuse - which I heard as I came out of the toilet. I was then arrested for breaking the mans jaw and nose and causing damage (to the newspaper stand as the bloke landed on it) Even though charges were dropped, basically because people (English people) in the market spoke up about the abuse that was given to my wife. The bloke didn't press charges etc -long legal stuff I won't go into. When released the police said to me let it be a warning etc and don't do it again etc - don't be so quick tempered etc. I could not help replying that I only did what any man would do if they saw and heard their wife being treated in such away and that next time I would hit the xxxxxx harder.

Not everybody in Blackburn is racially minded, but those that are, spoil it for those who are not. Though to be fair, it is not only Blackburn, but other areas as well. My wife is still a Rovers supporter and we still come up for christmas or when we can depending on work and where Rovers are playing home or away - though every game is an away game for us, as we live in the south of the UK, still go to Fulham and WHU V Rovers. But when you have been on the end of racial abuse etc - well nothing more need be said.

How many clubs have been taken over and not seen a cash injection into the playing staff?

It might be small to medium investment but I am pretty sure we will see some sort of investment if/when the takeover completes.

It just wouldnt make sense not to invest some cash in the team given the glaring deficiences we have in certain positions.

You have mentioned the word investment. Philipl keeps doing it too. So lest we forget....

invest verb /ɪnˈvest/ v [i or T]

to put money, effort, time etc. into something to make a profit or get an advantage.

I'm of a long standing opinion that there is no way an investment in BRFC will yield any return. Freedom of contract and Johhny Bosman have seen that off. If there was any money to be made out of BRFC other than selling it for as much as they can get then I think the Walkers would be doing it. Whether they are good or bad owners the one thing that we can count on is that they are not dunces in seeing opportunity for profit. Like other British footballing entrepreneurs of the 90's Alan Sugar, Mike Ashley (and John Hall before him) Doug Ellis, John Moores, Martin Edwards, Terry Brown, Ken Bates etc they simply can't wait to get shut and out of the madhouse before they blow their brains on it.

I wouldn't expect anything else Veevs.

Any new owner will be looking to make a profit. They wont do that by allowing Rovers to fall into the Championship, so they will know that some kind of investment in the team will be required.

Edit: which is more than we have now.

On the contrary Den. I think the opposite could apply. If the club has been wise enough to insist that players contracts become null and void or similar should the club be relegated then there is plenty of dosh to be had simply by taking the parachute payments and running the club down. Haven't Burnley been guaranteed 90m over the 3 years or so? I'd go so far as to suggest that it's the only way to make money nowadays...... Course a true supporter like Jack Walker would never consider it but somebody from half way around the world with not even the slightest link to BRFC might see it as too good an opportunity to miss. :unsure:

My view

cricket in India and the IPL is HUGE. Mumbai Indians are the biggest attraction and are watched by Millions.

A link up for Rovers grants the Indians a massive in for media/sport in the EPL. Everyone knows the big 2 sell their tv rights to the Far East so why couldnt Rovers tv rights be sold to India ?

They clearly have a market/business plan and they clearly have some serious money.

SKY started with the sky dancers and look at what they have now achieved ?

the other day we had a visitor in East Lancs, an Iman from Saudi, he got the attention of over 15000 locals and he was only here for 3 hours. the plan of having a Bollywood actor attend the ground isnt too bad a thing, the last big actor from India who came to Preston brought out over 15000 and he was here for 15 minutes such was his popularity. I could certainly see the attraction of such a person being brought to the game to entice the local Asian population out.

The Asian community are a colourful lot. We see it when they have the weddings and festivals. Why not deck them out in blue and white ?

There aint nothing wrong with having a balti pie or a samosa at the ground. Its a change and most would sample it. i think the days of pie and a bovril are long gone. I am sure Ozz would approve and we could also have the locals giving the marks out of ten for the curry of the day !

I do think there is the potential that some appear to be mocking. Our club is a community club our town is a town in need of a shake up, something for people to focus on rather than the doom and gloom normally associated with it. I say let the Shah group come in and lets see what they can offer Rovers and the town.

Uncle Jack did it so why cant another do it ?

I've asked kamy if this Shah chappy is Hindu or muslim and I might be wrong but I don't think I've had a reply yet. I suspect that 'Shah' implies a muslim background but if he is Hindu then remind me again please just why you are expecting to attract the towns muslim population down to Ewood? If he is a muslim then will hindu's see any value in supporting BRFC? Does anybody know the local population split even?

I think too many on here are lumping every asian immigrant / asian descendent into the same boat. There are deep divides between the two communities. I'm sure kamy and one or two others know much more about local immigrant views than I do so maybe one would be good enough to enlighten us?

From that article........

"Saurin Shah, 38, a businessman with shipping and textile interests, plans to bring a touch of

Bollywood glamour to the English team and will try to engage South Asians living in the gritty northern town."

I might be way wrong but my impression of the immigrants that populate our gritty northern town is that the majority are from Northern India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. If thats indeed the case then Mr Shah from Mumbai might not get the reception or reaction that some are thinking. As I say I don't know the answers for sure but it's a question that needs asking before we all get carried away.

The untapped potential that everone keeps referring to is not only potential interest from India but obviously getting the local Asian population down to Ewood instead of watching Liverpool and ManUre on TV.

That has always been the 64m dollar question for Rovers in recent years I feel. The percentage population figure mentioned in the 2001 census must be hopelessly outdated by now and will only get larger as time goes on.

If Shah could find both the key to that and somehow also generate interest in BRFC in India then things could get very interesting.

Yes, very interesting..........but there are huge hurdles ahead I fear. I have never been attracted to the "rich man's toy" solution to the Rovers financial woes but this seems a bit different. Football can bring communities together and Blackburn can certainly do with some of that - and a bit of Asian enthusiasm and spectacle would go down well with most folks I think.

By the way I had a stunning Madras curry last night - and I used to serve Bovril and pork pies at the Darwen End back in 1968 - a bit of variety in the Ewood fare would be a step forward.

Surely we have folks of Asian heritage on the site. I would genuinely like to know if there is any potential here, or is it all a pipe-dream? Is there any interest in the Asian community at all?

I've asked kamy if this Shah chappy is Hindu or muslim and I might be wrong but I don't think I've had a reply yet. I suspect that 'Shah' implies a muslim background but if he is Hindu then remind me again please just why you are expecting to attract the towns muslim population down to Ewood? If he is a muslim then will hindu's see any value in supporting BRFC? Does anybody know the local population split even?

I think too many on here are lumping every asian immigrant / asian descendent into the same boat. There are deep divides between the two communities. I'm sure kamy and one or two others know much more about local immigrant views than I do so maybe one would be good enough to enlighten us?

From that article........

"Saurin Shah, 38, a businessman with shipping and textile interests, plans to bring a touch of

Bollywood glamour to the English team and will try to engage South Asians living in the gritty northern town."

I might be way wrong but my impression of the immigrants that populate our gritty northern town is that the majority are from Northern India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. If thats indeed the case then Mr Shah from Mumbai might not get the reception or reaction that some are thinking. As I say I don't know the answers for sure but it's a question that needs asking before we all get carried away.

Adding to this Theno, the current Asian population in Blackburn is smallish in number in what is a smallish town. So the attendance gain from Blackburn isnt really going to increase significantly that the owners find they have to develop the Riverside stand to increase capacity on the extra demand.

For what its worth, my experience of working with "British Asians" or whatever you want to use would point to a very significant uptick in attendance at Ewood were the Indian takeover to occur PROVIDED they felt safe from abuse.

However, now we have had a second premature press announcement of due diligence originating from sources close to the Shah consortium, my view has gone back to being that a sale this summer is very unlikely.

For what its worth, my experience of working with "British Asians" or whatever you want to use would point to a very significant uptick in attendance at Ewood were the Indian takeover to occur PROVIDED they felt safe from abuse.

Thats a bit of a lame old statement these days. You are blithely heaping unecessary accusations on Blackburns citizens without good reason and certainly without current local knowledge or understanding. You seem to have adopted the stereotypical perception of Blackburn that many from afar hold.

I'd suggest that if there is much intolerance nowadays it generally works both ways equally whilst integration has turned into the pipe dream most people knew it would. Unfortunately I doubt this will deter you and people like you criticising the indegenous citizens of Blackburn and blaming the lack of integration solely on them.

Thats a bit of a lame old statement these days. You are blithely heaping unecessary accusations on Blackburns citizens without good reason and certainly without current local knowledge or understanding. You seem to have adopted the stereotypical perception of Blackburn that many from afar hold.

I'd suggest that if there is much intolerance nowadays it generally works both ways equally whilst integration has turned into the pipe dream most people knew it would. Unfortunately I doubt this will deter you and people like you criticising the indegenous citizens of Blackburn and blaming the lack of integration solely on them.

Very odd response.

I wasn't pointing any fingers but you seem to feel it is directed at you and your ilk.

Surely it is the statement of the obvious- nobody is willingly going to spend leisure time somewhere they (rightly or wrongly) perceive they and their family might be abused?

An observation I have made through my involvement in football is that most Asians do not want to integrate, how many white players play for an Asian team?

Most Asian teams tend to play their games against other Asian sides, they have a very strong community spirit within their culture and for these reasons and not racial on my part, I do not believe we will see integration as we would understand it in the near future, sad it may be, yet anyone involved in football can see the problems.

Even in local leagues there are many instances where fixtures are not fulfilled due to religious festivals and fastings etc. I am not saying this is wrong, just stating that there are many cultural differences which make it difficult to integrate as we would like it.

Surely we have folks of Asian heritage on the site. I would genuinely like to know if there is any potential here, or is it all a pipe-dream? Is there any interest in the Asian community at all?

Well, I'm not sure about India but in Singapore, we're all football mad here so potential growth is limited. In Singapore, I would say that Big 4 supporters make up about 90% of all fans while the remaining 10% are divided among spurs, man city, everton, newcastle and rovers fans.

The good news is that we're probably still one of the more popular teams outside the big 4 (a legacy of the 90s) and I'm sure Rovers shirts are more commonly seen here than in London. The bad news is that Rovers supporters are a dying breed and unless we suddenly start playing like barcelona and start winning things, I don't see that changing. From my travels, i would say that probably applies across the Asia-Pacific region.

An observation I have made through my involvement in football is that most Asians do not want to integrate, how many white players play for an Asian team?

Most Asian teams tend to play their games against other Asian sides, they have a very strong community spirit within their culture and for these reasons and not racial on my part, I do not believe we will see integration as we would understand it in the near future, sad it may be, yet anyone involved in football can see the problems.

Even in local leagues there are many instances where fixtures are not fulfilled due to religious festivals and fastings etc. I am not saying this is wrong, just stating that there are many cultural differences which make it difficult to integrate as we would like it.

Are you talking "Local" or "Global"?

Well, I'm not sure about India but in Singapore, we're all football mad here so potential growth is limited. In Singapore, I would say that Big 4 supporters make up about 90% of all fans while the remaining 10% are divided among spurs, man city, everton, newcastle and rovers fans.

The good news is that we're probably still one of the more popular teams outside the big 4 (a legacy of the 90s) and I'm sure Rovers shirts are more commonly seen here than in London. The bad news is that Rovers supporters are a dying breed and unless we suddenly start playing like barcelona and start winning things, I don't see that changing. From my travels, i would say that probably applies across the Asia-Pacific region.

I have been to Penang 3 times and each time I have been I have seen a few rovers shirts being worn and also in KL. This may be down to people liking the 'underdog' to win.

Still find it slightly strange and concerning that the man wanting to buy our club has not been heard of in Mumbai. If he was such a successful businessman then surely he would of have been known.

Also on the marketing aspect, IMO, you still need a decent brand in order to promote it effectively globally – unless we are to acquire some world class talent/quality on pitch, which won’t happen, then you can only be very skeptical.

Ultimately almost every foreign takeover has been a failure in the Premier League, why should ours be any different?

Must also say, difficult to make judgements accurately when we don’t know all the info/facts yet.

Archived