BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I'd actually forgotten about Hoilett- was referring to Hanley, so make that 4.

But, as we haven't paid a fee for these players (or at least a significant one) then surely they're products of our system? And didn't we sign Hoilett at the age of 10??

Hanley has played 1 game and you think he's made it???? We signed Junior at 13 (I believe), so 5 years somewhere else. At 16/17 he went to germany for 2 years, so out of 8 years we had him for 3, whilst we have played a part the biggest one comes at 16-18 and he wasn't here for those. We've had a number of players come through the academy in recent years and made more app's in the first team than Jones, most of them now play much lower levels. The main role of the academy is to produce players for our first team not others.

Very few clubs are active in the transfer market because the money is not around so Rovers are no different to .anyone else in that respect. You keep banging on about a lack of "progress" but the club has progressed since the departure of Ince with a two solid mid-table finishes plus the emergence of some talented youngsters. The lack of good signings this summer is disappointing but this is the Tory austerity era as applied to foot ball - money is in short supply, there are fewer jobs for players and wages are being squeezed. Planning for the long term is fine but you have to take care of the short term too - which means staying in the PL and being pragmatic about the quality of player you can afford. I think you are expecting too much of the club in its present straightened circumstances and with the ownership issue still unresolved. Until / unless Rovers have new owners I cannot see the present impasse changing.

15th is about as much mid-table as 10th just missing out on Europe. If your only going to consider league position as the sole measure of a football clubs progression then fine, I do not.

Also I would ask why do Rovers have no money, did we not get an extra 8 million this summer from the new TV deal?? have we not released a couple of players on good wages, and signed 1 loanee? We have tied down the kids and most likely given them significant raises, but raises enough to cover all of that money??

We're pissing all our cash against the wall paying out for some right dross players and some we don't even need. We are completely at the mercy of whoever is in charge and his scouts as if we sign a few dud's we are screwed as we have to develop players and sell them for profit just to generate a transfer fund each summer, we will not stay 10th if we cannot sign new players for long. 91% is crazy without a benefactor, no other club runs like that, it is not sustainable.

After earlier stating Allardyce wasnt in the directors box at Morecambe last night I can report he was there, as Ive said before my father is an exec at Morecambe and when I checked it today he was there with a chinese business consortium called CUJU 8 (Sam is part of this company) who are involved in some sponsorship/corporate deal with Morecambe.

Hanley has played 1 game and you think he's made it???? We signed Junior at 13 (I believe), so 5 years somewhere else. At 16/17 he went to germany for 2 years, so out of 8 years we had him for 3, whilst we have played a part the biggest one comes at 16-18 and he wasn't here for those. We've had a number of players come through the academy in recent years and made more app's in the first team than Jones, most of them now play much lower levels. The main role of the academy is to produce players for our first team not others.

15th is about as much mid-table as 10th just missing out on Europe. If your only going to consider league position as the sole measure of a football clubs progression then fine, I do not.

Also I would ask why do Rovers have no money, did we not get an extra 8 million this summer from the new TV deal?? have we not released a couple of players on good wages, and signed 1 loanee? We have tied down the kids and most likely given them significant raises, but raises enough to cover all of that money??

We're pissing all our cash against the wall paying out for some right dross players and some we don't even need. We are completely at the mercy of whoever is in charge and his scouts as if we sign a few dud's we are screwed as we have to develop players and sell them for profit just to generate a transfer fund each summer, we will not stay 10th if we cannot sign new players for long. 91% is crazy without a benefactor, no other club runs like that, it is not sustainable.

This is a question we tend to ask quite a bit, but reality is, that we know where most of it goes. Some goes to cover day to day expenses, some to balance the ridiculous wages we are paying, and some just goes missing.

91% is crazy without a benefactor, no other club runs like that, it is not sustainable.

To be fair Stu, JW has openly acknowledged this fact and said so last season that there was a need to bring that down, The lack of Media income also skewed that figure a little as if there had been more live games then we would have received more money.

We have shifted Bennis Wage and Reids. We are actively seeking buyers for Zurab (On same wages as Reid was!) JR and Grella, probably some of the highest earners at the club and we are looking at scraps, loanees and freebies.

This is the club reigning in the wage budget, Salgados wages blew that out of the water last season and the extra places gained in the PL over budgeted has gone to pay for that.

Sam knew this last season when they convinced the moneymen to allow him to sign Salgado, he cant complain that theres no cash here now without selling first.

Until the proposed takeover becomes a reality, this is the ship we are on and we are stuck with it, even if it seems its sinking!

Bom

I think it was Glen Roeder, not sure though

It was Souness who sent him to Celtic on loan after a bust up. From there he reportably goaded then Newcastle skipper Alan Shearer by text message, whoever sold him on after that pretty much had no choice.........but I believe you are right that it was Roeder in charge at the time.

The trustees don't pick the targets and if the mystery man truly was Utaka then I'd rather no-one name him.

BUT THE TRUSTEES PROVIDE OR DON'T PROVIDE EXTRA RESOURCES THAT DICTATE THE TARGETS WE CAN GO FOR.

At the end of the day if I have a piece of research to do that requires a certain piece of kit and we don't have it, I don't stamp my feet. I sit down and figure out another way to get the data I need, as were there's a will.

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE CLASSROOM AND PREMIER LEAGUE MANAGEMENT - THE TWO AREN'T THE SAME.

After the sorry summer we have had I cannot believe we are even entertaining the idea of signing Banjoni, I'd rather give Blackman a chance as 4th choice.

YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVEN'T SEEN A GREAT DEAL OF BLACKMAN. HE'S AN HONEST LAD, A HARD WORKER BUT NO MORE THAN LEAGUE TWO STANDARD.

As opposed to just looking at one aspect consider it more holistically as there's far more to consider than a few games on the pitch.

RESULTS ARE ALL THAT MATTER TO THE MAJORITY OF FANS. SOME OF THE MOST BORING FOOTBALL I'VE SEEN WAS UNDER HOWARD KENDALL BUT WE WERE WINNING - OFTEN 1-0 - AND CROWDS WENT UP AS WE WON PROMOTION.

Financially crippled with 91% of turnover on wages, we can't make a move for anyone of the standard we need and we have no-one to blame but ourselves. This summer saw an extra 8 million added to our turnover and a 3 place higher finish, as well as several players on serious money going out of contract. And yet we don't have a pot to ###### in, what the hell is going on?

A QUESTION FOR JOHN WILLIAMS AND THE TRUSTEES

Our squad is unbalanced with gaping holes in certain area's.

THE MANAGER IS CLEARLY TRYING TO ADDRESS CERTAIN PROBLEMS BUT I SUSPECT THAT HE SEES SOME THINGS DIFFERENTLY FROM WE SUPPORTERS. I SUPPOSE THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE PROFESSIONAL AND THE AMATEUR.

Cut-backs made in area's of the club that we should be investing in IE the youth.

PERSONALLY, I HAVE BEEN MUCH HAPPIER WITH THE ACADEMY SINCE PHIL CANNON ARRIVED. WE SEEM TO BE BRINGING LADS IN FROM FURTHER A FIELD AGAIN AND OVER THE LAST FEW MONTHS OF LAST SEASON WE SEEMED TO BE FAST TRACKING THEM INTO THE RESERVES MORE.

Signing players who are not up to the standard and are not needed.

AT THE END OF THE DAY IT IS THE MANAGER'S JOB THAT IS ON THE LINE NOT YOURS OR MINE. HE SIGNS PLAYERS THAT HE WANTS NOT WHAT SUPPORTERS THINK WE MIGHT NEED OR NOT NEED.

Summer that should have seen us build on last year, has been disrupted by wasting our time chasing either players we cannot afford or drawing up wish-lists as well as putting things on hold.

HAVE YOU SEEN SAM'S LIST OF TARGETS? I'VE READ ENDLESS SPECULATION ON THIS BOARD AND IN THE PAPERS BUT I'VE NOT AS FORTUNATE AS YOURSELF, WHO HAS OBVIOUSLY SEEN THE CLUB'S LIST OF TARGETS.

We are now left with the only way forward being someone buying us and giving us money to spend and given its dragging along like a dead pheasant on your bumper and our previous experiences with all of this, well forgive me for being angry.

PERSONALLY, I'LL BELIEVE THERE IS A TAKEOVER WHEN IT ACTUALLY HAPPENS. I'M CERTAINLY NOT PINNING MY HOPES ON SOME MYSTERY BUYER FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD POURING MILLIONS INTO A FOOTBALL CLUB THAT THEY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.

As opposed to a flippant and stupid comment like "go support united" perhaps you might want to consider that my heart is invested in this club and has been since I was 4, 28 years. You may wish to act like a sheep and go along for the ride, but I am different and what I see happening scares the hell out of me and I'm no sheep and will voice my opinion, always.

TOTALLY AGREE THAT YOU NEVER CHANGE THE CLUB YOU SUPPORT. BUT THE ROVERS HAVE BEEN THROUGH TOUGH TIMES BEFORE AND NO DOUBT WILL DO AGAIN. AT THE MOMENT I THINK BOTH JOHN WILLIAMS AND SAM ALLARDYCE ARE DOING THE BEST THEY CAN IN DIFFICULT CIRCUMSTANCES. UNTIL SOMETHING CHANGES THEY WILL CONTINUE TO GET MY FULL SUPPORT - THAT'S NOT ME BEING A SHEEP BUT MERELY VOICING MY OPINION AFTER 50 YEARS OF SUPPORTING THE CLUB. NONETHELESS I FULLY ACCEPT THAT YOUR OPINION IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT - THAT'S THE BEAUTY OF BEING A SUPPORTER. HOWEVER, AT THE END OF THE DAY THE ONLY OPINION THAT CARRIES ANY WEIGHT IS THAT OF THE PROFRESSIONALS WHO RUN THE CLUB. IN THE MEANTIME KEEP THE FAITH MAJ - THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER!

5 Live reporting we have been offered Bellamy :D

if he wants to play 1st team football every week and does not want to move from the north west area, there could be a little bit of truth in it, but he would need to take a cut in his wages, unless City were to pay some of his wages too. Also would Bellamy like Sam's long ball game!!!!!!

It was Souness who sent him to Celtic on loan after a bust up. From there he reportably goaded then Newcastle skipper Alan Shearer by text message, whoever sold him on after that pretty much had no choice.........but I believe you are right that it was Roeder in charge at the time.

Souey and Bellamy fell out...Bellamy wanted to go to Celtic and went on loan, thinking Souey would be sacked while he was away...he wasn't...Bellamy then went to Rovers...

For the name 'Souey' you could insert 'Mancini' and you could see a similar theme emerging.

I'd have Bellamy, if we can afford the wages etc. Of course there is a risk with him going mental, but he'd add the pace an flair we need, and he can operate in a 4-3-3/4-5-1 system.

we should take him on loan, and use the money we have on his wages, perhaps not all of it, but some of it. Its a risk, but a better move than buying somebody like Jelevic or Moa at this point in time. Kalinic, Bellamy, Diouf and then i wouldnt mind Benjani as 4th choice. If a takeover happens, then next season we can start looking at better options

• Moderation Lead

Don't think Hanley has made it- was using him to illustrate a point, a lad from the academy who was made the step up and will be in the first-team squad this season.......

Souey and Bellamy fell out...Bellamy wanted to go to Celtic and went on loan, thinking Souey would be sacked while he was away...he wasn't...Bellamy then went to Rovers...

For the name 'Souey' you could insert 'Mancini' and you could see a similar theme emerging.

I don't know either 'gentlemen', Nicko, but only in this context can you ever compare these two people!!!! :blush:

What does that mean?

Lost me slightly.

Perhaps it's me... i'm only on my first coffee of the day. :closedeyes: I was attempting wit reflecting on their different public personas.

I meant to say that while I don't know either person, Souness' public persona is that of a crazed Northern lunatic while the other emits a cooler than thou, Italian style--- yet either one gets on w/ Bellamy.... go figure!

Was that better???

Archived