BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

We need a bit more depth, and if we can work a deal that's good for us (£13k + £5 per app sounds good)

NO IT DOESN'T!

Pointless signing. If he manages to make it onto the pitch, he won't score.

The trustees are reluctant to spend any money because they think they're close to selling, but I doubt it will happen. They may be helping to keep the show on the road, but we can't keep operating in teh transfer market like this. We'll end up de-nuded of our best players and will have 11 donkeys on the pitch.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bellamy is on around £90,000-a-week...

He wants to play for Spurs in the Champions League.

He wants to go somewhere on loan and then come back as a long lost son [not for the first time].

Not happening with Rovers.

I don't think City will sell him to any club capable of challenging them for 4th spot, and they don't need the money really either, so with that said, I think he's nailed on to sign for Fulham on loan til at least January. I'm sure Fulham will pay 50-60% of his wages and City the rest ?

Totally agree it's not progress. It's shocking to see the likes of Stoke now arguably ahead of us after a mere 2 seasons in the prem.

Maj - you know a lot about youth - have you honestly seen anything in Blackman that suggests there is a chance that he will improve enough? I know I haven't but then I guess I'm still spoilt from Gally, Derbs and Johnson.

Don't think anyone is advocating we splurge cash on big names. What people are - quite rightly after - is incrimental improvement and investment. Rovers will always be dependant upon selling the Bentleys, Warnocks, Bellamys, Santa Cruzs etc. for larger fees - but if we cannot even buy these players (bar Bellamy did any cost over 3 million?) then quite frankly we're stuffed.

I've seen him train and play a few times and if I'm being completely honest he hasn't got a hope. But in the same vein me and a lot of others once said Gosling had no chance, one game and he was a different player. I think the right response is I'd be very surprised if he did, and I wouldn't place money on it. He's 20 doesn't look strong enough and is definitely lacking technically and most definitely in his decision making.

He's not in the same bracket as the ones you mention and I think league 2 maybe league 1 will eventually be his level. But Banjoni couldn't even score with Cities midfield behind him last year and flopped at Sunderland, even wasting 10-13K a week or 500,000-650,000 plus bonuses on him when we can't afford a single decent player, to me is pointless. The club must be fully aware of the frustrations of the fans at present and players like this will only ever split opinion. So for the next few weeks I would use Blackman as part of the first team squad and wait, I don't think we have any choice now.

At the end of the day we should keep what limited funds we have and go with what we have for now. Wait it out till the tail end of the window and see what happens as clubs and players will panic and want moves to play and who knows who we could end up with? If we go wasting 500K here and there as we look like doing on Teymourian and Banjoni, well we could miss out on a decent player come the end of the month.

I'm all for us selling players on and have said it since the day I came on here, but when you can't even gather enough cash to sign them and keep selling the ones you have (unavoidable) you end up with a squad that's lacking in a lot of area's. I just cannot believe we now find ourselves in the position of earning more money than ever and not having any at all because every penny is spent on wages, to the neglect of other area's that could make such a difference.

At a time when youth coaching in this country is dire, we should have last summer looked to really push it on and embrace the idea's that have seen so many countries continuously produce quality. Instead we appointed a man who is basically a scout and lasted 6 months at Derby in the same role. We have some very good coaches at that academy, but other aspects are not right and it needs changing and the only way to do that is money and we spend it all on wages. The clubs that do it will produce quality as has been seen in spain, brazil, holland and france and the financial benefits for Rovers would be immense and ensure our future with or without a new owner.

Nicko, Iceman, LOL.

I don't think City will sell him to any club capable of challenging them for 4th spot, and they don't need the money really either, so with that said, I think he's nailed on to sign for Fulham on loan til at least January. I'm sure Fulham will pay 50-60% of his wages and City the rest ?

Bellamy will decide where Bellamy wants to go.

Once Man City leave him out of the 25 he has no value and they have little option - keep him there, mumping and moaning and possibly going to FIFA to ask for a free - or let him go somewhere.

This 25-man rule is going to give some power to the players who are not included.

NO IT DOESN'T!

Okay, I'll have a go at re-wording it....

£13k + £5 per app is worth paying to avoid playing Pedersen, Samba or crap Diouf up front.

Is that any better?

I don't think Benjani is as bad, or as injury prone, as people are making out.

• Moderation Lead

Okay, I'll have a go at re-wording it....

£13k + £5 per app is worth paying to avoid playing Pedersen, Samba or crap Diouf up front.

Is that any better?

I don't think Benjani is as bad, or as injury prone, as people are making out.

Nah he isn't- he'll do.

As for the academy I'm all for money being pumped into it- but with 3 players from the academy cementing first-team squad places is it that much a failure?

Once Man City leave him out of the 25 he has no value and they have little option - keep him there, mumping and moaning and possibly going to FIFA to ask for a free - or let him go somewhere.

This 25-man rule is going to give some power to the players who are not included.

MORE power to the players? Fantastic. That's clearly done wonders for the game so far. :rolleyes:

Benjani is a step down from Roberts and I am not Roberts' biggest fan. I think I have seen him play well once and that was against us last season and I get the feeling that Sam has been locked on him ever since.

If he comes in and is 4th choice then ok but I think I would rather give Blackman a chance or buy Fowler back.

MORE power to the players? Fantastic. That's clearly done wonders for the game so far. :rolleyes:

I would have thought it would be the other way around. Now clubs can turn to players who have been left out of squads and offer them their only chance to play football.

Maybe because the trust don't want to "throw" money at us anymore and the fans have ensured we have slashed our ticket prices in half.

You get what you pay for in this world....

The percentage of our turnover that goes on wages is the reason we have no money. That's entirely down to John Williams - and quite frankly he gets too much praise for the job he is doing.

If Bellamy quits football (though how could he if he is contracted to a club) he would got no pay at all. He therefore may as well accept what little Rovers could offer him. But as you said he will decide where he goes. Players not in the 25 man squads only have to pick up the wages whilst on gardening leave etc.

Though maybe this is a time that these same players are shamed to play by supporters. Especially if wage demands stop them being transfered / loaned to other clubs.

He has little value as is though no ?

Considering everyone knows he's not going to be in their 25, so no club is probably going to even offer a fee for him. They'll just wait it out and try for him on loan, which I believe Spurs have already done?

I don't think City give a toss about him moaning really, I think they'll tell him he can go out on loan to a club outside the top 6 or 7 that will have him, and that'll be that, choose one or don't play til January at least.

I am unclear as to whether this tilts the balance of power between players and clubs.

Comes down to how many players face the certainty of no football for half a season or roughly 5% of their career and how many Prem clubs are going to be holding slots in their 25 open just in case they can nab one or two before the window closes. If there are late grabs there are players who expected to be in the 25 suddenly finding themselves on their butts for three months because of a 23.55 signing on 31 August with no time to go elsewhere themselves.

Only City are the loons with a shed load of internationals surplus to requirements but there are shake outs at Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool quite likely.

Also puts a huge onus on not getting injured pre-season as Bentley is likely to find out when he is omitted from the Spurs 25 even though he is likely to be fully fit by November.

The restraint of trade implications in the way the transfer window and squad size rules interact with each other are such that I suspect the PFA is going to find a test case which will decisively shift power towards the players.

Nah he isn't- he'll do.

As for the academy I'm all for money being pumped into it- but with 3 players from the academy cementing first-team squad places is it that much a failure?

Jones is the only one and as yet he has not cemented his place in the team, the squad yes but he has a long way to go.

I assume the other two are Hoillet and Olsson and I'm sorry but both have spent significant time elsewhere during their development (Academy is 8-18). Its a bit like claiming duff as a product of our youth set-up when we signed him at 16. We played a part but with most kids starting their training at 8, it means the majority goes elsewhere.

• Moderation Lead

Bellamy must realise he is only on that amount of money because he's at City.

They really have messed up the balance in football- pan-average players are on silly money.

Wayne Bridge- £80k a week? He's abysmal! Yaya Toure £200k per week? Never seen being worth that. This is having a knock-on effect as well, because players will start believing their own hype and won't take a pay-cut- step forward Stephen Ireland!

Jones is the only one and as yet he has not cemented his place in the team, the squad yes but he has a long way to go.

I assume the other two are Hoillet and Olsson and I'm sorry but both have spent significant time elsewhere during their development (Academy is 8-18). Its a bit like claiming duff as a product of our youth set-up when we signed him at 16. We played a part but with most kids starting their training at 8, it means the majority goes elsewhere.

No, I'd actually forgotten about Hoilett- was referring to Hanley, so make that 4.

But, as we haven't paid a fee for these players (or at least a significant one) then surely they're products of our system? And didn't we sign Hoilett at the age of 10??

Your selective reply shows you don't consider more than just the league positions, which in my opinion is a blinkered view that does not focus long term. We can no longer sign any players of the required level and have stood still this summer. With the way the market is and with the increased funds and lower wage bill we could have achieved, we could have got a march on the clubs around us and built on last season. Instead we have dug a hole and jumped in it, with the rest of the clubs in this league barely signing anyone a club like us could have moved up a place or two.

Very few clubs are active in the transfer market because the money is not around so Rovers are no different to .anyone else in that respect. You keep banging on about a lack of "progress" but the club has progressed since the departure of Ince with a two solid mid-table finishes plus the emergence of some talented youngsters. The lack of good signings this summer is disappointing but this is the Tory austerity era as applied to foot ball - money is in short supply, there are fewer jobs for players and wages are being squeezed. Planning for the long term is fine but you have to take care of the short term too - which means staying in the PL and being pragmatic about the quality of player you can afford. I think you are expecting too much of the club in its present straightened circumstances and with the ownership issue still unresolved. Until / unless Rovers have new owners I cannot see the present impasse changing.

I am unclear as to whether this tilts the balance of power between players and clubs.

Comes down to how many players face the certainty of no football for half a season or roughly 5% of their career and how many Prem clubs are going to be holding slots in their 25 open just in case they can nab one or two before the window closes. If there are late grabs there are players who expected to be in the 25 suddenly finding themselves on their butts for three months because of a 23.55 signing on 31 August with no time to go elsewhere themselves.

Only City are the loons with a shed load of internationals surplus to requirements but there are shake outs at Chelsea, Spurs and Liverpool quite likely.

Also puts a huge onus on not getting injured pre-season as Bentley is likely to find out when he is omitted from the Spurs 25 even though he is likely to be fully fit by November.

The restraint of trade implications in the way the transfer window and squad size rules interact with each other are such that I suspect the PFA is going to find a test case which will decisively shift power towards the players.

I think it crazy that the date of the end of the transfer window and the date for the naming of the 25 man squads is the same. Unless clubs are informing their players whether they are in or not before the deadline. If not, it does not give those players time or opportunity to find other clubs if they wanted to do so. Clubs who are not able to shift any of those players out of their clubs deserve what they get imo. Sulking players picking up huge wages to doing nothing. Is there not a period after the closing of the transfer window, where loans are allowed to be done?

Yes, I was thinking that, a player left out of the 25 would then not be allowed to ply his trade in a normal manner, there would most definately be a test case, I can see a Bosman situation here.

Guiza didnt attend work-out

Whether it is because of injury or a transfer is close I dont know.

I think he's injured, he didn't figure for Fener in their champions league qualifier against Young Boys last week either.

Rubin Kazan still in for him, doubt he'll go there though. He's been stalling on it since last week.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2010/08/11/2065467/rubin-kazan-add-themselves-to-the-list-after-wolfsburgs-zvjezdan-

Archived