BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

Perhaps it's me... i'm only on my first coffee of the day. :closedeyes: I was attempting wit reflecting on their different public personas.

I meant to say that while I don't know either person, Souness' public persona is that of a crazed Northern lunatic while the other emits a cooler than thou, Italian style--- yet either one gets on w/ Bellamy.... go figure!

Was that better???

I don't know how Bellamy could fall out with Mancini as he barely speaks English [the manager that is].

The Souey fall-out was predictable.

Souey is a real man. Not so sure about the other manager chap.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So just were are the goals going to come from ?

Where did they come from last year?

I think it's fair to hope and assume Kalinic will score more in the League than he did last season for one. We've got the new Diouf who should be able to cause problems too.

It's not exactly a satisfactory situation but it hopefully should tide us over til January where we'll know more about the takeover.

Is our squad really that bad. We at least have a squad who should keep us well safe from relegation.

If any really expects us to challange for Europe they need to have a reality check. There is no way ,unless we drastically improve are away form, that we could get near Everton, Liverpool , Tottenham and Man City.

Yes we need a new forward but so does have the teams in the premier league. Stoke have £7m+ to spend on a forward and even their finding it hard to get one in.

Its a shame the situation we are in but no were near as dire as some people make out.

Agreed - I'm not bothered one bit, especially if we still sign a "main" striker aswell.

It's occupying part of our wage budget on someone who is, quite frankly, crap.

It's bothering me.

It's not exactly a satisfactory situation but it hopefully should tide us over til January where we'll know more about the takeover.

I'll bet you a Chelsea bun we'll know more about it then. And what we'll know more about is that the takeover ain't gonna happen!

It's occupying part of our wage budget on someone who is, quite frankly, crap.

Hughesy always makes a big deal about shifting Grella at all costs, but is fine and dandy with replacing him with another useless crock. In Sam we (blindly) trust?

Well, we ain't shifted him, so that's two useless crocks. Roberts, another we can't get rid of, wonder what wedge he's bringing in. I'll wager if he appears in a Rovers shirt again, he won't be offering value for money as he'll be wanting out.

If you don't improve you go backwards, and if the takeover doesn't occur, we'll eventually be run into the ground. Squad investment has lagged well behind other teams for some time now, and doubtless will continue to do so without external investment. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm well fed up.

Is our squad really that bad. We at least have a squad who should keep us well safe from relegation.

If any really expects us to challange for Europe they need to have a reality check. There is no way ,unless we drastically improve are away form, that we could get near Everton, Liverpool , Tottenham and Man City.

Yes we need a new forward but so does have the teams in the premier league. Stoke have £7m+ to spend on a forward and even their finding it hard to get one in.

Its a shame the situation we are in but no were near as dire as some people make out.

"Reality check" is pretty much a code-word for "give up". If we're not aiming to achieve something better than what people expect us to do, why are we even playing football?

Lack of ambition is pretty much a disease around here. And at the club too it seems. You can't just tell Roberts we're booting him out the door, talk all summer about buying a good new striker, and at the end deliver absolutely nothing but one loan player. That is not simply disappointing, that shows we don't have the slightest clue about our own finances or the transfer market. Start talking when we are actually about to sign someone. Because right now the club smacks of complete incompetence and/or lack of commitment to the fans.

I don't know how Bellamy could fall out with Mancini as he barely speaks English [the manager that is].

The Souey fall-out was predictable.

Souey is a real man. Not so sure about the other manager chap.

Sticking two fingers up is understandable in most languages. ;)

Sams gonna expect more goals from the midfield this year.

Dunn aside we should see more from Olsson, Hoilet, Diouf and Pederson.

If those four manage 5 goals each this season that would be half of what we scored last season alone in the league.

Thats were we have to look for improvement.

People keep saying we're no weaker than last year but last season we started the campaign with forward options of Roberts Kalinic McCarthy and Di Santo.

This season if Roberts leaves we're going to be left with only two senior strikers permanently on the books Kalinic and Benjani :unsure: with Diouf as the loan option this time round.

It also said in the LT Diouf's deal was "reviewable" - what does that mean exactly? Can he be recalled by United at any point?

How can people say we're not weaker?

People keep saying we're no weaker than last year but last season we started the campaign with forward options of Roberts Kalinic McCarthy and Di Santo.

This season if Roberts leaves we're going to be left with only two senior strikers permanently on the books Kalinic and Benjani :unsure: with Diouf as the loan option this time round.

It also said in the LT Diouf's deal was "reviewable" - what does that mean exactly? Can he be recalled by United at any point?

How can people say we're not weaker?

I thought I read it was January when a review was possible.

As a squad there is no question that we are weaker than this time last time in the attacking front. However, this time last season, Nzonzi wasnt tested, Olsson was out of the picture, and there was no Jones either. Those 3 have emerged as key squad members at the very least and we should expect progress from all of them, as well as hopefully Lingazi, who has not had much said about him this summer.

I would still say that we would be two players short up front and one of them HAS to be "class".

Is that it.... just David Dunn.

So you're confident he'll stay fit throughout the season.

No we have got Kalinc who will hopefully come good this season and also the new Diouf who should bag more then Di Santo did last season. Dunny did allright last season, another season like that then i will be more then happy!!! Anyway we did not do that bad last season did we!!

BUT THE TRUSTEES PROVIDE OR DON'T PROVIDE EXTRA RESOURCES THAT DICTATE THE TARGETS WE CAN GO FOR.

If your owner stops provided funds do you carry one hoping that they will or look to generate money from what the club brings in??? Lerner at Villa springs to mind.

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE CLASSROOM AND PREMIER LEAGUE MANAGEMENT - THE TWO AREN'T THE SAME. So in football when we max out our finances you stamp your feet and demand more money, even in the full knowledge that they won't provide it. I'll write that one down in my notebook for next time I want more training equipment from my club.

YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVEN'T SEEN A GREAT DEAL OF BLACKMAN. HE'S AN HONEST LAD, A HARD WORKER BUT NO MORE THAN LEAGUE TWO STANDARD.

Please see next post.

RESULTS ARE ALL THAT MATTER TO THE MAJORITY OF FANS. SOME OF THE MOST BORING FOOTBALL I'VE SEEN WAS UNDER HOWARD KENDALL BUT WE WERE WINNING - OFTEN 1-0 - AND CROWDS WENT UP AS WE WON PROMOTION.

Results can only be sustained and improved through new players etc, that requires cash or a good academy consistently producing, we have neither.

Financially crippled with 91% of turnover on wages, we can't make a move for anyone of the standard we need and we have no-one to blame but ourselves. This summer saw an extra 8 million added to our turnover and a 3 place higher finish, as well as several players on serious money going out of contract. And yet we don't have a pot to ###### in, what the hell is going on?

A QUESTION FOR JOHN WILLIAMS AND THE TRUSTEES

The current model is flawed, its time to change the way we distribute the funds at Rovers as a couple of seasons with no transfer fee's available and well we'll be in dire straights.

THE MANAGER IS CLEARLY TRYING TO ADDRESS CERTAIN PROBLEMS BUT I SUSPECT THAT HE SEES SOME THINGS DIFFERENTLY FROM WE SUPPORTERS. I SUPPOSE THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE PROFESSIONAL AND THE AMATEUR.

Hang on, he has helped make it unbalanced, 3 right backs & no left back for example, sounds very professional to me.

PERSONALLY, I HAVE BEEN MUCH HAPPIER WITH THE ACADEMY SINCE PHIL CANNON ARRIVED. WE SEEM TO BE BRINGING LADS IN FROM FURTHER A FIELD AGAIN AND OVER THE LAST FEW MONTHS OF LAST SEASON WE SEEMED TO BE FAST TRACKING THEM INTO THE RESERVES MORE.

At a time when youth football as a whole is poor here a club that looks to invest heavily and focus on this could become one of the best in our country. That would also mean getting the best kids and future funds/progression for the club. We had a choice of two people one wanted the same money as Downes and had a much better pedigree, the other was less than half price who did we take?? Cut-backs, of such pahetic amounts for a club with an income of over 50 million per annum.

AT THE END OF THE DAY IT IS THE MANAGER'S JOB THAT IS ON THE LINE NOT YOURS OR MINE. HE SIGNS PLAYERS THAT HE WANTS NOT WHAT SUPPORTERS THINK WE MIGHT NEED OR NOT NEED.

At the end of the day its my club and always will be, regardless of what happens to Sam he will either A get a serious amount of cash in having his contract paid up or another job. but hey lets worry about Sam's job, phhht I'd worry about my club its far more important.

HAVE YOU SEEN SAM'S LIST OF TARGETS? I'VE READ ENDLESS SPECULATION ON THIS BOARD AND IN THE PAPERS BUT I'VE NOT AS FORTUNATE AS YOURSELF, WHO HAS OBVIOUSLY SEEN THE CLUB'S LIST OF TARGETS.

Sam said he wanted the players in before the world cup, so whatever list he had it was obviously flawed as we didn't sign a single player. We also haven't signed a single player since with the exception of Diouf, so whoever was on the list it was either unrealistic or not well thought out for whatever reason.

PERSONALLY, I'LL BELIEVE THERE IS A TAKEOVER WHEN IT ACTUALLY HAPPENS. I'M CERTAINLY NOT PINNING MY HOPES ON SOME MYSTERY BUYER FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD POURING MILLIONS INTO A FOOTBALL CLUB THAT THEY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.

But it would appear our club are. 2 transfer lists drawn up, putting a hold on all transfer activities are the actions of a club hoping to be bought. And yet we haven't, talk about putting all your eggs in one basket.

TOTALLY AGREE THAT YOU NEVER CHANGE THE CLUB YOU SUPPORT. BUT THE ROVERS HAVE BEEN THROUGH TOUGH TIMES BEFORE AND NO DOUBT WILL DO AGAIN. AT THE MOMENT I THINK BOTH JOHN WILLIAMS AND SAM ALLARDYCE ARE DOING THE BEST THEY CAN IN DIFFICULT CIRCUMSTANCES. UNTIL SOMETHING CHANGES THEY WILL CONTINUE TO GET MY FULL SUPPORT - THAT'S NOT ME BEING A SHEEP BUT MERELY VOICING MY OPINION AFTER 50 YEARS OF SUPPORTING THE CLUB. NONETHELESS I FULLY ACCEPT THAT YOUR OPINION IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT - THAT'S THE BEAUTY OF BEING A SUPPORTER. HOWEVER, AT THE END OF THE DAY THE ONLY OPINION THAT CARRIES ANY WEIGHT IS THAT OF THE PROFRESSIONALS WHO RUN THE CLUB. IN THE MEANTIME KEEP THE FAITH MAJ - THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER!

Policy at our club needs to change not staff, they've done a great job in maintaining our position but when you reach a point when you can no longer keep progressing as we now have then you need to re-evalute things. The rest of the league will not stand still and not sign new players, but if we cannot generate funds we will only slowly drop the quality of our squad and that will only lead to one thing, no matter how much we spend on wages each season.

Archived