BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

Well put Nicko.........I am as excited as any fan however I do have my doubts and I hope those doubts are wrong and if the takeover does go ahead then I dont want us to go all man city I would rather the club took its time and didnt go in with 20 plus million deals.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nicko, im not even sure why you feel the need to defend yourself. The excitement from some on here(perhaps including myself) clearly shows no sign of letting up. Although, im so tired of checking every 5 minutes, that i feel like im going bonkers :lol: Its time to get some fresh air i think, and get away from it all ;)

i don't really understand all these people saying we should be asking questions right now.

who to?

why would they give me an answer?

why would the answer not be shrouded by PR if it did come?

we have the club (who have looked out for us sufficiently for a long time) to do these things, and what's more they know a hell of a lot more about it than we do.

there is nothing we the fans can do now. there isn't going to be a referendum to decide if we allowed uncle syed to take over. being cautious is understandable but we don't really have any choice in giving him the benefit of the doubt since it looks as though he will be taking over. i am not getting carried away and expecting guaranteed european football any time soon but this could be a great deal for the club and one to ensure we stay in this league for a long time. after an uneventful last few years i'm more than happy to take the glass half full position until it is proven otherwise

Nicko, don't suppose you found out were Sam went Monday?.

Yes, courtesy of the excellent BomBom's info, he was at a book launch in Ireland.

The 'European' player I had heard about must have been the Bulgarian lad who was due in - rather than the manager going to see him.

Amazed that there has not been much discussion on Popov. Decent player, skillful if lightweight but NOT a central striker.

He could turn out to be your most expensive signing of the window.

Yet that has hardly registered on the radar.

Yes, courtesy of the excellent BomBom's info, he was at a book launch in Ireland.

The 'European' player I had heard about must have been the Bulgarian lad who was due in - rather than the manager going to see him.

Amazed that there has not been much discussion on Popov. Decent player, skillful if lightweight but NOT a central striker.

I just read his Wiki and thought why is he on trial? Bulgarian international with very good club stats should get a contract without trial. He played only 19 league matches last season so there could have been some injuries. Interesting player indeed.

To me it makes perfect sense that we're doing this.

With our current budget, can we bring in a striker who will score 15 goals this season? Incredibly unlikely.

Can we rely on Kalinic to get around 10 goals this season? Probably.

Therefore, if we can get someone who will chip in 5-8 goals from a deeper position, we can improve our goalscoring that way. Popov's record suggests he could be that man.

Were do you see him in relation to fee and wages?

Hold your hand up time I know nothing of him, as for Wiki, :D. and I don't play FM.

Were do you see him in relation to fee and wages?

Hold your hand up time I know nothing of him, as for Wiki, :D. and I don't play FM.

I hear Popov's fee is around £1.5 million, his wages will be low by Premier League standards.

He is here for a 'test' and that should be passed or failed by the weekend.

Got to say it sounds like Rovers are still working on Plan A [not much cash] rather than Plan B.

As we speak.

Surely because its much more difficult to work on Plan A?

Plan A it takes time, plenty of scouting finding the right man.

Plan B we pick up the phone and slap 20million in for Darren Bent.

Plan A has been a pain in the ass all summer.

But it is still what is happening in the here and now.

What does Sam say to Popov if he likes him.

"Now, Ivelin, me old fettler, can you wait a fortnight before we find out if them Indians are coming in?"

Plan A has been a pain in the ass all summer.

But it is still what is happening in the here and now.

What does Sam say to Popov if he likes him.

"Now, Ivelin, me old fettler, can you wait a fortnight before we find out if them Indians are coming in?"

If "them Indians" come in then I'm sure they won't be crying over £1.5m signing Sam made before he got the money. If the takeover does happen, why is having Popov suddenly a problem?

If "them Indians" come in then I'm sure they won't be crying over £1.5m signing Sam made before he got the money. If the takeover does happen, why is having Popov suddenly a problem?

It's not a problem necessarily - I think he's explaining why we are still looking in the Bargain Bucket not the Top Drawer (apologies if I've misunderstood)

In the real world Rovers have a trialist in who they probably regard as being a player who would be in the first team this season.

Until the 'new' world begins that is something you have to handle properly.

You really have no concept of how clubs work or transfers happen, have you.

I'm all for getting him in.

1.5million is minimal in todays world, and if the lad does well then its up to him to prove he deserves a place in the team.

Conversely, if he does well then he also is in the show window if we decide bigger and better.

I genuinely think that even with a cash injection we will build a team based around youth rather than go for the marquee signings of Man City.

Hey Alan, maybe you should cultivate a working relationship with Mr Syed.. just think what his marketing team could do for your Lorna's handbags :tu::P

No need, pal...just sold a second posh one today...that's one to a Malaysian royal and now an Austrian aristocrat's wife.

;)

Nicko,where does Popov prefer to play? Is he a winger or someone who might be able to play 'in-the-hole'in the position vacated by the ever-crocked Dunn?

The last time I saw him play - over a year ago - he was quite similar to Dunny as an attacking midfielder who sits behind the front two. It is a very fair comparison.

Clever player, sees a chance and a shot. But not the most physical. However he could have bulked up since.

In the real world Rovers have a trialist in who they probably regard as being a player who would be in the first team this season.

Until the 'new' world begins that is something you have to handle properly.

You really have no concept of how clubs work or transfers happen, have you.

nicko by questioning why we are going with Popov you are directly questioning Sam's expectations of the take over going through. It seems you are implying that if Sam thought this WGA bid was a real possibility then he wouldn't bother doing anything until he gets the war chest from Mr Syed.

Please correct me if I've got that wrong.....

So I am asking why not? I don't see why the possible takeover would stop Sam from signing Popov now and don't see the correlation between this sigining and the probability of the takeover happening. IF the takeover happens but funds can't be made available until January then Popov will probably play a big part in helping us until then. IF it happens before then no one has said or expects a complete overhaul, Popov's immediate place may not be affected this window and even if it is then it may be negative for him but not Blackburn the club.

My point is, I don't see how us signing Popov casts doubt on the probability of Syed becoming our new owner which you seem to be heavily implying.

Archived