BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Transfer Topic

No need, pal...just sold a second posh one today...that's one to a Malaysian royal and now an Austrian aristocrat's wife.

;)

The last time I saw him play - over a year ago - he was quite similar to Dunny as an attacking midfielder who sits behind the front two. It is a very fair comparison.

Clever player, sees a chance and a shot. But not the most physical. However he could have bulked up since.

Cheers.Definitely sounds like he might be worth a punt whilst we're still skint.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last time I saw him play - over a year ago - he was quite similar to Dunny as an attacking midfielder who sits behind the front two. It is a very fair comparison.

Clever player, sees a chance and a shot. But not the most physical. However he could have bulked up since.

Does Popov have any pace Nicko?

My point is, I don't see how us signing Popov casts doubt on the probability of Syed becoming our new owner which you seem to be heavily implying.

In the real world, in the here and now, Sam is trying to sign players on the budget he has.

The club has got to act this way because they are not run by fantasists and dreamers who think that someone is going to come in and give them a fortune in the next fortnight.

I don't doubt Syed wants the club or has the money to do so.

I liked what he said about stability this season and standing by the people who run the club right now.

I dislike this change of tack and talking about 'give me your club and I will spend millions before the window shuts.'

• Backroom

There's no problem continuing on with our current transfer stance as a club with very little money - chances are the takeover won't be completed before the window shuts, and even if it is we're not going to have much time to actually use that money without being totally ripped off by clubs knowing we're desperate to buy and have cash to spend.

We need extra players so if Popov comes in then great - he's cheap and seems to have potential. If in January we've got money to improve the squad then all the better, but there's no point the scouts going to look for big name targets now as a) the takeover may never happen, and B ) even if it does we aren't going to have much time to actually use any money before January anyway.

Definitely sounds like he might be worth a punt whilst we're still skint.

Popov was clearly not top of any shopping list, but does fit in as a player who won't cost a fortune and fill a vacancy in the squad.

Does Popov have any pace Nicko?

He moves well with the ball, but isn't what you would call rapid. Subtle player.

If anyone has extended highlights of Litex Lovech v Aston Villa a year or two back they would see what he has to offer. Sure he scored a goal and did well until he got an injury.

Got to say it sounds like Rovers are still working on Plan A [not much cash] rather than Plan B.

As we speak.

Well we would be stupid to work with Plan B until its done & dusted.

Either way Im happy to stick with what we have for now...Like I said No point signing a mug like Grella on 30-40k a week now, when in a month or so we might have the finances to start looking at much better players with much better potential.

LT mentioned interest in Roberts has intensified, however no club has made an official move yet....Popov will simply replace him

In the real world, in the here and now, Sam is trying to sign players on the budget he has.

The club has got to act this way because they are not run by fantasists and dreamers who think that someone is going to come in and give them a fortune in the next fortnight.

I liked what he said about stability this season and standing by the people who run the club right now.

I dislike this change of tack and talking about 'give me your club and I will spend millions before the window shuts.'

I think you're twisting the tone in which all this has been said, and turning a guys willingness and determination to show passion into something more devious.

In his interviews he's sounded pretty realistic, but has only stated he knows the importance of the window, and if possible he would complete the takeover before then.

The way you paint it is as if he's almost pleaded for the club to speed it up, which has never been the case.

Nicko you're trying to bring negatives on both sides...

On one side you say you guys need to calm down you might not get bought out and need to concentrate on finding a striker etc incase things dont goto plan and you dont get bought out or it happens after the transfer window shuts.

Then when you see rovers do that you imply ooh wonder why rovers are still looking at the cheap option if they're due to get bought out?!

Its one or the other, you want rovers to look at cheaper strikers or you want them to ditch them in hope of the big money???

LASTLY...is it so difficult to understand that even if we're getting big bucks, it'll prob come when we have a small chance to sign someone of note, as there will be so little time left before the window shuts. Hence buying a 22 year old for 1.5million and a low wage who can still progress and in the event of getting much better players and becoming surplus to requirements could probably be sold on for a small profit or for atleast the price we bought him is good business.

You also previously implied wrongly that the due dilligence could be rushed to stop blackburn looking into syed ali, where-as the DD is for Syed to look into BRFC and he has only been given DD as Brfc have looked into him and his finances.

Then you keep going on about the Robinho purchase, implying that if we go for a last min deadline day swoop thats how it'll turn out.

To be honest to me it seems you're trying to scrape the bottom of the Barrel to find negative things to say/imply about Syed and the takeover.

And its probably true you're just bitter because although you're a "brfc gossip reporter" you can't find a way in to any of the insides of this story, easily the biggest story to hit BRFC in the last decade.

The person who asked him to cheer up as he'll prob make the most money outta this of all of us, thats the problem i think he's upset that hes not as he has no access to Syed, his team, nor brfc and needs to wait on the reports of Paul Plunkett for news on the takeover.

I think you're twisting the tone in which all this has been said, and turning a guys willingness and determination to show passion into something more devious.

In his interviews he's sounded pretty realistic, but has only stated he knows the importance of the window, and if possible he would complete the takeover before then.

The way you paint it is as if he's almost pleaded for the club to speed it up, which has never been the case.

No, I thought the 'mission statement' before the meeting on Monday was very sensible. Talk of long-term plans, investment at all levels, etc. Exactly right.

But after the meeting on Monday I detected that Syed was trying to push this 'let's get the deal done because I want to start spending' line on radio and Sky Sports News.

It was a subtle change, but perhaps more significant than we know.

So Popov, can play as a second striker, In the hole or in wider positions, just watched a few vids.

Nothing special pace wise, good technique, plays both sides of the park, most of his goals, in open play in and around the 6 yeard box.

Circa 1.5m. I'd say is worth a shot no matter what your budget is.

Also has a twin brother MF, Georgi Milanov, playing for the same team.

Probably moved up the shopping list due to Dunny breaking (groin) down again.

I think Syed might just be gaining enthusiasm by the day, particularly as the season is now up and running and we won against a good Everton side lets not forget.

I'm sure we would all prefer it to be done properly, even if this means not spending big this window.

Someone like Guiza we have already scoped out - It probably wouldn't take a lot to move on this IF the takeover is complete before the window

Never did he state 'let's push the deal.'

Again, he just stated if possible he would like to have it done in two weeks so we could spend in this window. Your mood has also subtlety changed since you said you were sceptical as if someone had enough money to buy then 'why would it take so long,' as I think you're on record as saying recently.

No, I thought the 'mission statement' before the meeting on Monday was very sensible. Talk of long-term plans, investment at all levels, etc. Exactly right.

But after the meeting on Monday I detected that Syed was trying to push this 'let's get the deal done because I want to start spending' line on radio and Sky Sports News.

It was a subtle change, but perhaps more significant than we know.

As in, he is possibly worried by the fact that Shah has not fell by the wayside.

Nicko you're trying to bring negatives on both sides...

On one side you say you guys need to calm down you might not get bought out and need to concentrate on finding a striker etc incase things dont goto plan and you dont get bought out or it happens after the transfer window shuts.

Then when you see rovers do that you imply ooh wonder why rovers are still looking at the cheap option if they're due to get bought out?!

Its one or the other, you want rovers to look at cheaper strikers or you want them to ditch them in hope of the big money???

I am trying to deal in reality.

There is a Bulgarian international in just now. Cheap, quite sensible.

That's what your club is doing at the moment.

As in, he is possibly worried by the fact that Shah has not fell by the wayside.

Shah has had plenty of time and not delivered.

Nicko, do you think Popov is here because of Dunn is out again? Or is he out for long, no word about it? Also, do you think there will be one striker more? I am asking based on plan A. Thanks.

I could see Popov doing what Dunny does...but that doesn't mean Dunny is out for a long time. The trouble is when he is missing you lack that bit of magic from behind the front line.

You will still surely need an experienced striker if Roberts goes. You have one loan left or some cash.

Unless...

Exactly what part of Due Dilligence is given to a buyer once the seller is totally confident of the buyer and what he is offering dont you understand?

Secondly is it so difficult to understand that Syed like the rest of us has noticed that with our current budget we are struggling to find both a striker and midfielder. We currently have 1 permanent striker, 1 recieved on Loan and one on the way out. None of which are proven 10 goals + strikers in the Prem.

Syed like the rest of us can see we desperately need a striker but can't afford one, if one gets injured and the other isnt scoring,or both get injured, or neither score we are scr3wed. And we could quickly find ourselves struggling.

On the other hand Syed could knows if Sam can get the funds before transfer Deadline there is an outside chance we could find a decent midfielder and striker. Which could mean the difference between finishing 14th and 7th.

IF (and I know it's a big IF) but IF the board are confident that this takeover will go through then do we have to wait for everything to be signed & sealed before we get somebody in?

Lets just pick a player at random - Lets say David Bentley - if we were to take him on loan until January then all we would have to do is pick up the wages yes?

Now I know that if things don't go to plan with the take over then this would be a big ask - but if the take over is definitely on, but just can't be done in the transfer window timeframes, then why couldn't Rovers find the money for the first few weeks of wages before the new owners can take over the payments?

And if we looked beyond loan signings why couldn't we bring somebody in on a free transfer who might demand a higher wage?

Again same scenario - we pay the first month or so & then the new owners pick up the wages?

Also if a player was to cost a decent transfer fee couldn't we use the money we've already allocated for this window as a deposit & just pay the balance later? How many transfer fees are ever paid up front anyhow?

I know this is probably all too naive and simplistic - sounds like me spending my pay rise before I've even got it...

But if I've got my pay rise guaranteed & in writing & have been assured that it's going to happen I would be tempted to go out & have a bit of a splurge on the credit card - knowing that by the time the bill comes in I'll have enough in the bank account to clear the credit card...

I now await the torrent of abuse

In the real world, in the here and now,

Nicko starting every sentence with the same flippant remark doesn't add any weight to the credibility of the accusation. You have to actually explain why my remarks are so bonkers, why what I've said that is so stupid and more importantly WHY that is so. You are very good at accusing people of being stupid, but not so forthcoming in justifying those claims.

You called my Robinho example laughable but when I pointed out your comprehension error you just replied by making the same disproved point again. You dodge more questions than a debate featuring Alistair Campbell & a Sky News presenter.

Sam is trying to sign players on the budget he has.

OK, so…?

Or more accurately they are acting in a "business as usual" manner until the takeover is complete, still doesn't cast doubt on the clubs expectation of it happening though. At best you could argue they have doubts on whether the deal will go through before the end of this window (which is fairly sensible and reasonably cautious) but in no way does it suggest the club are pessimistic about Syed's bid on the whole, which is what you have been implying. Sorry but I just don't agree with the conclusion you have made from this guy coming in on trail (we haven't even bought him yet have we?).

Fair enough, that sounds a lot more reasonable from your earlier posts. I will say though that your opinion of how Mr Syed handles his business is irrelevant to chances of this takeover happening, the point we have been discussing.

I would also suggest that if you keep being negative on this, the notion that you are only annoyed because you didn't break the story becomes ever more believable.

Archived