SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Carling Cup

It could have been worse..........

Bolton knocked out by Burnley

Chelsea knocked out by Newcastle

Liverpool playing extra-time with Northampton Town

Man City knocked out by West Brom

Rovers knocked out by last season's finalists, hardly a Cup upset is it.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're boring..as somebody else said just so reliant on hoofs and set pieces. Play it around a bit for feck sake, if you give the opposition as much possession as we are doing this season then your going to eventually get done - which is what's happening.

in a nutshell.

we put ouselves under sustained periods of pressure every week from not retaining posession, stats would be irrellevent if it was 55% 45% every week but 65% 35% quite regularly tells a story.

What a load of kneejerk nonsense being written on here.

In the league we were poor against Fulham, rest of the season has been OK. We are losing away at Villa in the Carling Cup with a weakened side and the world is caving in.

The guy got us to 10th last season and more than deserves a chance to get things moving.

Jesus wept.

ps, if you want to point fingers look at the board and the takeover saga for not letting Sam spend a penny in the toughest league in world football.

Too difficult to grasp I think mattyblue. A scapegoat and soft target is what is most needed and right now!

I'm beginning to think we need another 25 years in the lower divisions to remind a few people where our rightful place is in football. It's character building and just whats needed by so many on here.

As a reminder the mighty reds are losing in extra time at Anfield against Northampton and just imagine what it's like on the City or Chelsea boards tonight?

Christ I think we need to sin bin 99% of the posters in this thread.... does anyone not remember the start of last season? just as poor and limp..

We played away from home, and everyone knows we are just crap away from home so please everyone just get a ####### grip!!!

Forget all this ###### about playing percentage football, sitting back when 1-0 up, the squad having no skill or creativity. Why the hell is this Rovers side continually throwing away 1-0 leads when our defence is supposed to be our main strength?

The 2nd half performances this season have to be explained as it's simply not good enough, even West Brom fans would be livid with the shocking displays this season.

WHY THE HELL CAN'T WE TURN UP FOR NINETY MINUTES????

You can tell you've not had 'any' for a while ;)

It's the constant hoofball, rubbish we see week after week that's the problem. This cup defeat is NOT just a blip. It sums up our crap football; as will defeat at Bloomfield Road and matches thereafter until Sam changes the way we play or gets sacked.

Sssshhhh we all have to agree with Dan & MARK - its the end of the world! We lost to a team that have players like Agbonlawhore & Young....We must be pathetic!!! :rolleyes:

Seriously people - get a grip, as RIML rightly points out - it was expected - Im sure Chelsea are not calling a crisis after a defeat at home!

It's the constant hoofball, rubbish we see week after week that's the problem. This cup defeat is NOT just a blip. It sums up our crap football; as will defeat at Bloomfield Road and matches thereafter until Sam changes the way we play or gets sacked.

Chelsea & Man City don't play "hoofball" but they still lost ;)

in a nutshell.

we put ouselves under sustained periods of pressure every week from not retaining posession, stats would be irrellevent if it was 55% 45% every week but 65% 35% quite regularly tells a story.

Not only this, but when you are 1-0 up and the other team has to come at you in order to get anything from the game, keeping the ball is IMPERATIVE. Booting it up to the other team so they can launch onslaught through what is an average midfield means that there is no way you can hold out for 45 minutes.

This is so obvious to see! how can allardyce not?

I'm fed up with crap football. I'm fed up with not shooting. I'm fed up right now with loud mouth Allardyce

Love how if the team lets the opposition score then they are not to blame and its all sams fault! :rolleyes:

When given the draw I said it was an awful game for us, Villa away is one of the trickiest games (+ a new manager to impress)....I expected us to lose easily, and looking at a team that misses Robinson, Samba & includes Nelsen & Emerton then I expected a 3-0, or worse!

Anyway here goes - this thread & the sam allardyce one should be great fun for the next 48 hrs

suicide-watch-t-shirt.png

Your chirpy optimism always amazes me, I mean dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with being optimistic or looking for that silver lining but you always point out the exact problems and try to put a nice shine on things.

I'm not a negative person but I am finding it hard to feel optimism about our future at the moment, ok so yes I agree the players have to accept blame aswell as the manager but you have to realise that something is wrong with our second half displays.

I also expected this to be a tough game but every game is winnable if you want it enough, then you point out that you expected us to lose because of Nelsen and Emerton playing , these are our first team player ffs and whoever is playing instead of them isnt exactly fields apart in terms of class.

Our youngsters are'nt progressing as fast as we would hope, Jones, Nzonzi and Hoilett are still very young and should'nt be relied upon to start every game.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, if what happens in the second half against Fulham happens for the remainder of the season then we are going to struggle, I dont mean playing bad I mean every time we load up against the keeper for a direct ball the ref blows, or every time we go down for a petty foul looking for a set piece and the ref does'nt give it, if this trend continues and refs get heavy on us we are going to struggle because at the moment we dont know how to score from open play.

Chelsea & Man City don't play "hoofball" but they still lost ;)

I'm not on about tonight's defeat ONLY!

I'd rather watch the football played every week by Chelsea and City than the garbage Sam dishes up for us, regardless of tonight's results.

So is that now 5 in 6 where we've taken the lead only to conced?

I agree that it is becoming a disturbing trend that needs to be sorted out. Something obviously needs to be adjusted somewhere as it's too much to likely be pure bad luck.

We are playing poorly and not getting results so Sam can't justify these Sh1tty tactics anymore!

The lack of transfer activity could cause us problems!

Actually your second paragraph explains the first. It's not all Sam's [alleged] mistakes. Who would do better that would come to us?

The guy got us to 10th last season and more than deserves a chance to get things moving.

Jesus wept.

ps, if you want to point fingers look at the board and the takeover saga for not letting Sam spend a penny in the toughest league in world football.

How dare you apply logic and reason to the situation! Don't you know that football is about passion, not brain power? :P

We would be in 4th place. And we havent scored a league goal later than the 54th or 58th(forget which) minute of a game.

Again, it's a problem that needs sorting. And I think Sam is the man to get it sorted.

Does provide some context. Just as 5 points in 5 matches against 5 top half teams should provide some context. I'll give it another 5 matches before I begin wailing and pulling at the hair. B)

When did I say that? I was commenting that we have been ###### in the second half. Please stop going around the forum quoting people trying to provoke arguments, it's getting boring.

You are getting a bit repetitive now, that's the third time you've mention my 'transcript'. Care to share what you think he is instructing the team to do at half time instead of making stupid comments over and over?

Kettle and pot! :rolleyes:

I'm not on about tonight's defeat ONLY!

I'd rather watch the football played every week by Chelsea and City than the garbage Sam dishes up for us, regardless of tonight's results.

Well clear off and watch them then

I'm not a negative person but I am finding it hard to feel optimism about our future at the moment, ok so yes I agree the players have to accept blame aswell as the manager but you have to realise that something is wrong with our second half displays.

I also expected this to be a tough game but every game is winnable if you want it enough, then you point out that you expected us to lose because of Nelsen and Emerton playing , these are our first team player ffs and whoever is playing instead of them isnt exactly fields apart in terms of class.

No I dont just die after each defeat & go into deep depression and over the top reaction about any draw or loss.....its a marathon not a sprint, we had a blip last season - look where we ended. We will be fine - we just desperatly need some investment to allow us to buy a midfield!

As for Emerton & Nelsen - you just pointed out exactly what im getting at, they aint good enough - im fed up of saying it! Nelsen is on his way over the hill, he's past it - yes he might have the odd good game, but hes a liability!! Emerton has been VERY poor for the last 18 months.

Northampton 2-1...........THERE is a crisis, 5 points & a result like that with the talent they have! :rock:

gerrard and torres aside...........WHAT TALENT? Babel,Lucas, They're entire defence, N'gog all the spanish kids utter dross the lot of them, Rafa really did a number on them before he went.

Archived