BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Carling Cup

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not seen it yet so cant comment on it...however he did score the opener :P

Ok, I just like a prove a point, after all I am the Nelsen defence force ;)

Givet's goal was a cracker, but his defending was sh*te. I also said that Nelsen didn't read the ball to Heskey very well, so I will admit when I think Nelsen should have done better.

However, Givet was actually beaten in the air by a shorter player, the shorter player being Ashley Young, he is 2 inches shorter than Givet to be exact.

I only think it's fair that Hughesy says the same comment about Givet.

Now I know my eyes are going but wasn't Youngs header about chest height? Therefore favouring the shorter player, it's not like he out jumped anyone.

That game was like watching two completely different teams, good in the first, dire in the second.

I didn't like Sams comments regarding us being unable to 'hang on' after going 1 up in 5 out of 7 games this season. Perhaps if he'd let them go for another goal instead of trying to 'hang on', we might actually have won more.

Unfortuately AggyBlue our gaffers comments will continue to state we needed to 'hang on' as he can just turn around and say the zero transfer budget led to this.

The above statement is at least partially true. Sam is not completely to blame. He's been starved of resources, after being promised anywhere from 2-6 million, depending on which news article one reads. For all of those who slate Sam for the performance of the team, all the criticisms of him can also properly be laid at JW, the board and the Trust's feet also, as responsibility flows uphill. It's similar to the government sending the army to war, but reducing the supply line to sero and being told to defeat the enemy while living off the land. It can be done but its not pretty.

Now I know my eyes are going but wasn't Youngs header about chest height? Therefore favouring the shorter player, it's not like he out jumped anyone.

Givet should have won the header quite easily if he'd positioned himself well enough. Something similar was said about Nelsen for Dempsey's goal, I think it's only fair they say the same about Givet.

Why not?

So far man city, spurs, liverpool, everton and bolton are out

if we had beaten Villa they would have been out

We should have a full strength team out for the league cup, it is our best chance of silverware, our best chance of going to wembley and our best chance of playing in europe again

Lots of anguish here but if we all take a step back, count to ten and apply some lateral thinking and it becomes clear that for all the nice positive noises coming from Premier clubs managers it's obvious from the team selections they put out that every Premier league club's board and management want to be out of the Carling Cup as soon as ever they can be.

Lots of anguish here but if we all take a step back, count to ten and apply some lateral thinking and it becomes clear that for all the nice positive noises coming from Premier clubs managers it's obvious from the team selections they put out that every Premier league club's board and management want to be out of the Carling Cup as soon as ever they can be.

They take it a bit more serious if they fluke through to the later rounds.

We fielded weakened sides early on the year we won it.

Shame really.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Backroom

Brum winning the League Cup means 7th won't play in the Europa. The FA Cup 6th Round draw significantly increases the likelihood that 6th won't be in the Europa either.

No Liverpool in Europe next season?

According to some Scousers I had the privelege of talking to recently King Kenny was taking them to 4th this year. Was obviously before they were humbled by West Ham.

I dont particularly like brum, but this reminded me a bit of our cup final. Arsenal just thought they had to turn up and they'd get the cup, they were even talking about who was gonna be collecting the trophy after game.

Did anyone listen on 5live? Savage was going mental!

Archived