BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Carling Cup

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...you can tell it's been a while...

How can anyone try to make out that the Arsenal goal was gifted?

Fantastic play by Samba, pass to E.Diouf, great wing play and good positioning by M.Diouf to tap in.

Cracking team goal.

I could understand that comment if we hadn't scored for a few games but if we can score against the likes of Arsenal, Man City, Aston Villa.....we can score against any Premier League team.

Scoring counts for nothing if we keep shipping goals.

It's when you go to games against the likes of Fulham et al and sit there wondering where on earth a goal will come or god forbid, how we are going to score 2.

Some people compare it to last season but for me there is a key difference...Last year we started shyte every game and normally went behind in the first 20 mins. We would then tend to play better second half and invariably equalise and go onto win (at home anyway.) This year we score first half, sit back and loose any momentum we had.

Teams that finish stronger/on the front foot tend to pick up points through late equalisers/winners.

Right now I would snap anyone's hand off that offered 17th place and a nice transfer budget next July.

Scoring counts for nothing if we keep shipping goals.

It's when you go to games against the likes of Fulham et al and sit there wondering where on earth a goal will come or god forbid, how we are going to score 2.

Some people compare it to last season but for me there is a key difference...Last year we started shyte every game and normally went behind in the first 20 mins. We would then tend to play better second half and invariably equalise and go onto win (at home anyway.) This year we score first half, sit back and loose any momentum we had.

Teams that finish stronger/on the front foot tend to pick up points through late equalisers/winners.

We lost by a single goal against Birmingham and Arsenal, we're hardly shipping goals in the league. I'm sure Man United have conceded more goals than us. They just have better quality up front.

Having been at the game I'd have to say we didn't sit back and invite pressure tonight. We played some neat stuff and broke when possible. Villa hadn't had a chance before the goal, when the got one we fell to pieces. I'm more corncerned we seem to be able to perform for the first 50-60 minutes of a game. I don't know whether that is the players fitness or mental strength.

i want sam out,im sick of sub-standard performances,he never takes the blame for his mistakes and non football tactics.id love to wake up tomorrow to find he'd resigned,he's a smug git.

Maybe it is supporters like you that need to to be shipped out. As much as I like any others on here want Rovers to be winners in every game, the reality is it will not happen. Is it a coincidence that other bigger clubs, also went out tonight.

Big Sam is the Rovers manager, the team lost a cup tie. It happens, even to the best.

But if we are really supporters of blackburn Rovers, we say so be it, disappointed, but bring on the next team.

We get behind the team. whoever is the manager, as it is the team that plays the football, not the manager. a time may come when the team lose confidence in the manager - but that time is not now. in the meantime support, encourage whoever is in the team and wearing the blue and white of the Rovers.

Rovers sadly lost tonight, it happens, I'm gutted. Take it on the chin and support the club, management and the team against blackpool.

Maybe it is supporters like you that need to to be shipped out. As much as I like any others on here want Rovers to be winners in every game, the reality is it will not happen. Is it a coincidence that other bigger clubs, also went out tonight.

Big Sam is the Rovers manager, the team lost a cup tie. It happens, even to the best.

But if we are really supporters of blackburn Rovers, we say so be it, disappointed, but bring on the next team.

We get behind the team. whoever is the manager, as it is the team that plays the football, not the manager. a time may come when the team lose confidence in the manager - but that time is not now. in the meantime support, encourage whoever is in the team and wearing the blue and white of the Rovers.

Rovers sadly lost tonight, it happens, I'm gutted. Take it on the chin and support the club, management and the team against blackpool.

Here, here! Well said.

Taken fro Sam's quotes on the BBC match report, "We couldn't cope with Villa's change in shape."

Who's job is that then, Sam?

He couldnt cope with Fulham's 'change in shape' at the weekend either. Sam's supporters can defend him all they like, when it comes to making tactical changes during games he really ain't the brightest is he.

Does anyone have the effort to work out the cost per win if you had been to every away game during Sam's tenure?

Please don't go there ... :'(

It was 1-1 until Nelsen went off.

Yes. Olssen at left back, Givet and Samba centre back, Chimbo right back. Samba's much better with Nelsen, there was no-one to calm him, Samba is awesome but he is still learning.

Having been at the game I'd have to say we didn't sit back and invite pressure tonight. We played some neat stuff and broke when possible. Villa hadn't had a chance before the goal, when the got one we fell to pieces. I'm more corncerned we seem to be able to perform for the first 50-60 minutes of a game. I don't know whether that is the players fitness or mental strength.

We played some excellent stuff. And then Emile Heskey appeared - Brad No 2 danced over the line carrying the ball - don't think anyone noticed - and Jones was fouled (not sure which player by) but Villa were given the free kick. From that free kick their first goal was created and scored by - of course - Emile Hesksy. Doh. Oh the way out, a Villa fan said to us "you were unlucky, but when the generally useless (please don't use that word again) that is Emile Heskey scores against you, you know you're in trouble!"

look, stop with this "it’s a knee jerk reaction again", because its not. What people fail to realise here, is that there was an opportunity to go on and reach a cup final. A team, that is unable to string 3 or 4 passes together, a team, that if you looked at the Villa team, we should have held on for the win. We again gave away some sloppy goals, and its not just the players, but Sam needs to sort out where the problem lies.

You miss a more important point...we have been in this league for 10 years now! They will be lucky to last 2 years.

Of course another point may be that in all those seasons we've spent money in the pre-season. It's a little worrying, but at least last season Sam turned it around.

we dominated the 1st half and had a fantastic defensive display; Givet and Jones were outstanding, Nelson was weak and his upfield play was always a hoof....Nelson wants to get a grip our spend some time on the sidelines. The 1st half display (apart from Nelson) was us playing the ball on the deck into space our to players, the 2nd half was dire and we just slugged it up front.

Nozonzi was a weak link, we missed a creative midfield player like our good old "sicknote" Dunny.

Our other failing was our final ball to the forwards, it was, as always, dreadful. Kalanic came on and made no impression and M Diouf was chasing hopeless punts forward.

Quite frankly we will get murdered at Pool if we turn in yet another performance like last night, and sorry but the clock is ticking on Big Sam.

The upsides from last night: Givet, The Rovers fans who sang all night, the bird with the white jeans, big boobs and low top in the Villa end.

WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY AND A FEW HOURS.....SHOULD HAVE WATCHED CORRY!

Last night really was a game of two halves. In the first half we were a joy to watch and our passing and movement was excellent. Unfortunately, at the moment, we lack a cutting edge but, having said that, a one goal lead was fully deserved and ought to have been enough.

In the second half Villa played as well as we had done in the first and, sadly, we played as badly as they had done during that opening half. Once again, we were undone by pace and some sloppy defending. Once Nelsen went off our back four, indeed our team, lacked any leadership on the pitch. Too many players were caught ball-watching and Mark Bunn, who I have always been impressed with in the Reserves, didn't cover himself in glory on the first two goals.

With our lack of firepower we have to be able to grind out 1-0 wins and at the moment we are making too many basic individual errors when we come under pressure. I don't think it's all down to tactics but a large part is down to decision making in certain situations and then the inability to excute the pass or tackle that the player intended to make.

For me, this game underlined that our best back four is Salgado, Samba, Nelsen and Givet. I also felt that we missed El-Hadji Diouf's ability to retain possession as Hoilett was very disappointing last night.

I was encouraged by what I saw in the first half but the second period was an absolute shocker.

Archived