BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Carling Cup

With our lack of firepower we have to be able to grind out 1-0 wins and at the moment we are making too many basic individual errors when we come under pressure. I don't think it's all down to tactics .

Credit to Houllier for changing his team and his tactics at half time which Rovers were unable to cope with in the second half. The question is why did the Rovers management not see this and adjust our team accordingly ? Players will always make mistakes and some goals will always be down to individual errors but the basic set-up and shape of the side comes from the manager. Allardyce has my full support as always but second-half collapses are not a new phenomenon this season.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

look, stop with this "it’s a knee jerk reaction again", because its not.

that if you looked at the Villa team, we should have held on for the win.

But it is - nobody except maybe Waggy/ Abbey would be calling for Sams head today had we won! :blink:

As for 'looked at their team' im sorry but they have some quality players. Ashley Young is better than our entire midfield.

we dominated the 1st half and had a fantastic defensive display; Givet and Jones were outstanding, Nelson was weak and his upfield play was always a hoof....Nelson wants to get a grip our spend some time on the sidelines. The 1st half display (apart from Nelson) was us playing the ball on the deck.

Nozonzi was a weak link, we missed a creative midfield player like our good old "sicknote" Dunny.

I keep saying it & keep getting shot down for it - he's not good enough. Jones, Samba & Givet are all better than him.

I also made the same point about Dunny after Saturdays game.

Brad No 2 danced over the line carrying the ball - don't think anyone noticed - and Jones was fouled (not sure which player by) but Villa were given the free kick. From that free kick their first goal was created and scored by - of course - Emile Hesksy. Doh. Oh the way out, a Villa fan said to us "you were unlucky, but when the generally useless (please don't use that word again) that is Emile Heskey scores against you, you know you're in trouble!"

I was in line with the penalty area mum - he didn't carry it over the line. Also I think you mean Emerton and not Jones. This was a pair of truly dreadful decisions which turned the game. Up to the hour we were very comfortable then Warnock and Emerton met waiting for the ball. Warnock had both hands on Emerton and then suddenly stepped back with his hands in the air, pretending that he had been pushed. The linesman, 3 yards away was fooled and gave Villa the free kick. Then this was compounded by him and the referee allowing Villa to take the free kick quickly and 10 yards ahead of the incident, taking out Emerton and another Rovers player who were preparing to defend the kick at the right place. The ball was wellied up field and passed to Heskey in acres of space.

Ah, was far away from the incident over other side of ground; so it was Bert, same effect though, eh? Thought the linesman on your side seemed more interested in the Villa players' interpretation of offside than his own though, or is it me being picky again lol! A couple of us thought it was over the line, we were pretty much level with it as well, but hey, it was close. Ah well, it was a night out of the usual routine wonder what could have done with the £50-odd it set us back ... At least we didn't get bricked by the Villa fans this time!

Given the other results, it would have been a good time for progression in this cup.

Roll on the league; Blackpool, Stoke, Sunderland and, erm, Chelsea next four :mellow:

Please don't go there ... :'(

Yes. Olssen at left back, Givet and Samba centre back, Chimbo right back. Samba's much better with Nelsen, there was no-one to calm him, Samba is awesome but he is still learning.

Samba was also very good last season when he partnered Jones-he seemed to thrive on the responsibilty.

But it is - nobody except maybe Waggy/ Abbey would be calling for Sams head today had we won! :blink:

As for 'looked at their team' im sorry but they have some quality players. Ashley Young is better than our entire midfield.

I keep saying it & keep getting shot down for it - he's not good enough. Jones, Samba & Givet are all better than him.

I also made the same point about Dunny after Saturdays game.

Im with you in saying Nzonzi is the weak link; he slows the game down, he needs to much time on the ball,he stands off players, and is very light weight-therefore he is neither an attacking midfielder nor a play maker. having said that we would be ****ed without him.

For what its worth they were awful first half and we just couldn't kill them off. Even early in the second half we looked the better team, until Heskey scored and we just collapsed completly. The 2nd and 3rd goals just looked very poor to concede.

If only Brett hadn't fallen over when all he had to do was get a touch at the far post, it could all have been so different.

Come on Brentford, lift that cup :P

Samba was also very good last season when he partnered Jones-he seemed to thrive on the responsibilty.

I thought Samba and Jones were the best centre defensive partnership we have had for some time - with (as you say) Samba's performances positively impacted

Im with you in saying Nzonzi is the weak link; he slows the game down, he needs to much time on the ball,he stands off players, and is very light weight-therefore he is neither an attacking midfielder nor a play maker. having said that we would be ****ed without him.

Though I agree Nzonzi has a long way to go (his positional sense isn't always the best). However - I find it amazing that a player is being called for putting his foot on the ball and trying to pass - when most of the MB is full of complaints that we don't do this.

Though I agree Nzonzi has a long way to go (his positional sense isn't always the best). However - I find it amazing that a player is being called for putting his foot on the ball and trying to pass - when most of the MB is full of complaints that we don't do this.

Too right. After the Fulham game fans were apoplectic at our ability to get the ball down and pass it - last night there were fans having a go at the team passing across the midfield looking for gaps.

294 Hughesy

Group: Members

Posted Yesterday, 09:08 PM

Northampton 2-1...........THERE is a crisis, 5 points & a result like that with the talent they have! :rock:

Burnt by your own flames there Hughesy - Northampton are a damn sight further away from Liverpool than we are from Villa.

So your consistent parping about how much have we spent falls down quicker than a lead balloon.

Its the cup - which is all about turning up on the night and applying yourself correctly regardless of talent - Northampton showed exactly what can happen.

Forget about other teams problems and open your eyes to Rovers - it ain't just a midfield we need.

332 RibbleValleyRover

Group: Members

Posted Yesterday, 09:35 PM

For me its more about how you lose rather than the actual end result.

How many times this season have we dropped points because we have had a 1-0 lead and have sit back and gone defensive. Or how many times have we lost points because we cannot keep possession largely due to hoofing the ball with no accuracy and just invite tremendous pressure that we cannot resist. Or how many times have we conceded due really sloppy defending when the players switch off.

If you lose games or drop points because you have been outplayed or the other side has had a moment of brilliance then fair enough as a fan you can't complain or criticise. If you have dropped or lost points because of your own mistakes and stupidity time and time again then that’s not acceptable, not in my eyes anyway and it should rightly be scrutinised.

There is nothing to get you inspired or excited whatsoever about this side apart from Samba and maybe Robbo.

Good post RVR - although should probably read when we do actually lose (every game) ' its more about how'

This squad as a unit has no idea how to progress from one goal and is shackled with its mentality that only stems from one person

The way the team plays at the moment is boring (listen to reporters covering our games) - what has happened to the improving style towards the end of last season?

The worrying factor is not that we got beat but how we got beat and yet again after taking the lead with the ususal excuses following in a predictable manner.

The warning signs are there with alarm bells ringing very loudly.

I didn't see the game and I'm usually not the first to jump to Allardyce's defense, but if a loss away at Villa with two similarly weakened teams counts as gasoline to the "sack Allardyce fire" we must have been pretty clumsy, hit shift + 8 again!!*ng abysmal. Losing at Villa park against a team with the classic short term positive effect of a new manager might not be a good result, but it's not a totally unexpected one either.

I've just watched the highlights and Givet was easily beaten by Ashley Young in the air. Does this sound familiar ;)

And once again Nelsen gets beaten in the air by a shorter player

I don't see you making a comment like this about Givet.

Also, for Villa's third goal Samba was nowhere near Young. I don't see you pointing this out either.

Saying that, Nelsen didn't read the ball to Heskey very well.

Does anyone have the effort to work out the cost per win if you had been to every away game during Sam's tenure?

Going on last season..

I attended 21 home games and 21 away games

I saw us win 11 games at home and 5 games away

on the approximate costs last year it cost me about £200 per win away and about £100 a win at home!

I thought Samba and Jones were the best centre defensive partnership we have had for some time - with (as you say) Samba's performances positively impacted

he has got a long way to go, i think he has come into the starting line up way to soon (not that we had/have an option). its unfair for me to single out one player when our whole midfield is devoid of attack minded play. i would love nothing better than a player who is willing to slow the play down and bring other players into the game, sideways steve however only succeeds in doing the latter.

i dont usually post on here so please dont include me in the big sam hate brigade, i just think nzonzi gets an easy ride on here and wanted to highlight the fact.

But it is - nobody except maybe Waggy/ Abbey would be calling for Sams head today had we won! :blink: ..BUT WE DIDNT WIN DID WE,THATS 2 OUT OF THE THREE COMPETIONS WE CANT WIN NOW,ONLY THE FA CUP LEFT.

I also made the same point about Dunny after Saturdays game..... WE MISS SHEARER TOO BUT HE COULDNT PLAY EITHER!

Why?

Why not?

So far man city, spurs, liverpool, everton and bolton are out

if we had beaten Villa they would have been out

We should have a full strength team out for the league cup, it is our best chance of silverware, our best chance of going to wembley and our best chance of playing in europe again

Why not?

So far man city, spurs, liverpool, everton and bolton are out

if we had beaten Villa they would have been out

We should have a full strength team out for the league cup, it is our best chance of silverware, our best chance of going to wembley and our best chance of playing in europe again

Yeah, but playing a full strength team against blackpool is our best chance of 3 points in the Pl.

I thought the F A cup would give a better chance of getting to wembley.

Knowing Rovers it would be just our luck to get to wembley this year when the final looks likely to K O at 5.30 on Saturday

Not unless average height now equals short. Aaron Lennon and SWP are 'short'...

You've missed the conversation, forget it ;)

EDIT: I'll care to explain :)

Hughesy said this, referring to Dempsey's goal against us.

And once again Nelsen gets beaten in the air by a shorter player

But in fact Dempsey is taller than Nelsen. However, Givet was actually beaten in the air by a shorter player, the shorter player being Ashley Young, he is 2 inches shorter than Givet to be exact.

I only think it's fair that Hughesy says the same comment about Givet.

Archived