BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Vs Fulham

cn174

The one good thing to come from yesterday's performance was the way rovers stuck to their defensive duties, in the face of some good midfield play from a superior footballing team in Fulham. For all Fulham's domination in midfield, the lads at the back kept them at bay with some well organised, determined defending, entirely built around the magnificent Samba.

I'm a bit surprised to hear Scotty commenting on Jones's passing limitations, - after he was critical of my assertion last week that centre halves don't make midfielders. Defensively Jones really does do a good job, but his passing will always let him down as a midfielder. As regards Grella and Jones playing together, well some sides have recently played two defensive midfielders [Man City for one], so it's not completely a no-no. As long as you have three attacking midfielders in front of them it can work. Our problems are that we don't have the creativity in front - and neither Jones nor Grella have the quality of passing. You can have two defensive mids, but they must have some quality on the ball.

As for the strikers, well how we could have done with Roberts yesterday. I've said pretty much throughout that I don't rate Niko and I've seen nothing yet to change my mind. "Ineffective" is how I would describe him up to date.

Not the end of the world and in some ways it's good that yesterday felt like a defeat. That shows that the expectations for home games has risen in the past year.

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

first half belonged to us, second half to them

drawing against fulham isnt a bad doing - they are unbeaten this season and having mark hughes who i believe will do a brilliant job for them

i see someone put about phil jones playing central midfield and how he aint a central midfielder - first half yesterday i was very impressed with him - he gets stuck in , doesnt just kick it anywhere - we are much improved there and its a better option then keith andrews

o and that doumbele looks a very good player - the ball just stuck to him like glue

Lazy post? You stated that Allardyce wasn't given the funds to buy the midfielders he wanted. So by your logic above he must have informed you personally that he wanted a couple of midfielders and was denied the cash??

He consistently stated that a forward was priority. He may well have privately had a midfield wish list but I don't recall him ever publicly stating it. All we apparently need is a goal scorer to convert all the chances we create. Member's spent most of the transfer thread constantly bemused by his lack of acknowledgement of our inadequate midfield.

I think Allardyce has done a good job and I can live with going direct on occasions but yesterday was constant hoof and head tennis. We did it under Dalglish where the game plan used to be get the ball in the oppositions half - then play football. Back then however the forwards could retain position and the midfield wasn't 25 yards away.

The nitty gritty is at present Sam is probably the only manager who will keep us in the premiership, so its a case of having to 'lump it' rather than 'like it'

Question is, if we have plenty of money next year, would you give it Allardyce or a.n. other?

Daft question WWWM. Name 3 of your chosen a.n.others and I'll try my best to answer.

btw I forgot another midfielder we were after but couldn't afford..... Lewandowski ;)

That's the second home game in a row where we have done well in the first half by bombarding the opposition but then really struggled when better players have got it down and knocked it about. We are really weak in midfield and can't keep hold of the ball. I saw the other day that our pass completion was about 50% which is really bad and the worst in the league by a fair bit I think but that really sums up our problems when we are playing against teams who can knock it about a bit.

Another problem is the lack of anything different to come off the bench. Yesterdays subs were all like for like changes and made no impact at all. I think he should use Hoillett maybe as at least he has some pace and can cause some problems with that.

I thought it was a foul when we scored but goalies should never go down so easily because you don't know if the ref is going to give it or not so he can only have himself to blame really.

Real biggie now next week.

I can't agree with this. We have 5 points in 5 matches against what I believe have all been top half teams. We should really wait to see how well we do against the bottom half of last year's table and the newly promoted clubs before we pull the fire alarm. IMO, we will perform at 50+ points this season, same or better than last. And that's without any billionaire sugar daddy.

Don't get me wrong. I would love a true billionaire to buy the club and lavish cash for the sake of ego and without expectancy of financial return (the part of Syed's "plan" that concerns me, even if long term). But I don't think its vital for our survival this season, or even next.

I think you're being overly optimistic. Rev is definitely nearer the right prediction, if we continue as we have started. Yesterday we were poor. No other word for it unless you want to use something stronger. We started ok and went downhill after we scored. The manager blames the players for panicking and hoofing the ball anywhere but since they always do it, it would seem obvious the hoofs are an instruction from management. It's ok saying we'll do as well if not better than last year. Others have got stronger. There are teams who were in the bottom half who have bought well. We haven't because we haven't bought at all and so I think we'll really struggle.

Daft question WWWM. Name 3 of your chosen a.n.others and I'll try my best to answer.

btw I forgot another midfielder we were after but couldn't afford..... Lewandowski ;)

lol :tu:

More of a rhetorical question Theno - Allardyce is the right man at the mo, just not sure I'd want him investing millions on what we witnessed yesterday. Christ knows who we could get to replace him though.

lol :tu:

More of a rhetorical question Theno - Allardyce is the right man at the mo, just not sure I'd want him investing millions on what we witnessed yesterday. Christ knows who we could get to replace him though.

If, and its a big if that Rovers came into some money again, would it not be worth sounding out Mark Hughes to see if he would be interested.

I've been thinking about this and it's becoming regular now where we go in front playing 4-4-2 and then are pressed back by teams with stronger midfields before we inevitably capitulate. I'd love to be able to re-run that match and take off Diouff Mk2 at HT and replace him with Dunn and revert to a more solid 4-5-1.

Arguing? Wrong. I'm just dealing in the facts LDRover.

btw Spilled??? you are taking it very lightly that Schwarzer handled a goal bound shot outside the area and under the refs nose and should have been sent off.

Well if a 'hoof' into the box is now classed as creative play I'll have to accept that you are indeed dealing in facts.

You're right of course that Schwarzer should have been sent off - much the same as our goal should have been disallowed. Cancel both out and I'm not too sure we'd have scored against ten so maybe luck was with us.

Nonsense! Comparison to Ince is very very valid. In fact comparison to them both is. Why are you trying to re-write history by forgetting the Ince debacle ever happened? Are you in denial of the holocaust and a member of the flat earth society to boot LD? :rolleyes:

Ince made all the sorts of noises some less knowledgeable people on here like yourself love to hear about playing football on the ground and proper footballing principles etc. The result was that we ended up on our arses. Allardyce said 18 months ago that if anyone thinks we can take bigger spenders on by footballing them off the park is an idiot, and that our job is to negate their obvious stengths and try to play to ours. Last season we confounded all the experts by finishing 10th.

Nobody rates Mark Hughes as a manager more than I do but it is without question that Hughes enjoyed much more financial support in the early days than Allardyce is getting. Why are you conveniently forgetting that? All the same Hughes wanted away to the Mags and six months later Mark Hughes went first chance he got after the purse strings were pulled together and he was not allowed the funds for a. Diarra, b. Huddleston and c. Koumas.

The reason I asked for Ince not to be used as a comparison is that he's an obvious buffoon who will struggle to get another job in football such was the complete b***ocks he made of the job here, we didn't end up on our arses because he tried to play 'football' we ended up on our arses because the guy didn't have a clue. I won't forget the shambles of his reign but there really is no point comparing the job he did to any other before or since - he was that inept. However, the state of the club when Hughes and SA took over is comparable.

Hmmm - less knowledgeable - good putdown, however, I don't recall us taking on the big boys with the tedium we witnessed yesterday (and have done for the majority of SA's reign) previously as with Hughes for example. We didn't try to play the 'Ince way' but mixed it up with good old grit and polish in the right areas. He may well have had more financial support but I'm pretty sure that the players brougt in were the result of 'trading' Ferguson out - Savage in springs to mind, as does the marvellous piece of business to sell Kuqi and bring in McCarthy. So it's not a case of 'conveniently forgetting' I just believe that Hughes' ability to cut his cloth accordingly was far superior to Allardyce.

Also, do you really think we have to 'negate' a team like Fulham at home by going direct? Would you rate a pairing of Dickson Etuhu and an ageing Danny Murphy better than a midfield pairing we could put out?

Well if a 'hoof' into the box is now classed as creative play I'll have to accept that you are indeed dealing in facts.

You're right of course that Schwarzer should have been sent off - much the same as our goal should have been disallowed. Cancel both out and I'm not too sure we'd have scored against ten so maybe luck was with us.

We should have had a pen before the ball reached Samba.

The reason I asked for Ince not to be used as a comparison is that he's an obvious buffoon who will struggle to get another job in football such was the complete b***ocks he made of the job here, we didn't end up on our arses because he tried to play 'football' we ended up on our arses because the guy didn't have a clue. I won't forget the shambles of his reign but there really is no point comparing the job he did to any other before or since - he was that inept. However, the state of the club when Hughes and SA took over is comparable.

Hmmm - less knowledgeable - good putdown, however, I don't recall us taking on the big boys with the tedium we witnessed yesterday (and have done for the majority of SA's reign) previously as with Hughes for example. We didn't try to play the 'Ince way' but mixed it up with good old grit and polish in the right areas. He may well have had more financial support but I'm pretty sure that the players brougt in were the result of 'trading' Ferguson out - Savage in springs to mind, as does the marvellous piece of business to sell Kuqi and bring in McCarthy. So it's not a case of 'conveniently forgetting' I just believe that Hughes' ability to cut his cloth accordingly was far superior to Allardyce.

Also, do you really think we have to 'negate' a team like Fulham at home by going direct? Would you rate a pairing of Dickson Etuhu and an ageing Danny Murphy better than a midfield pairing we could put out?

According to Abbey---Sam is "worse than Ince". Eddie made the same point a while back. So maybe a comparison is still valid? :blink:

We should have had a pen before the ball reached Samba.

According to Abbey---Sam is "worse than Ince". Eddie made the same point a while back. So maybe a comparison is still valid? :blink:

Worse than Ince I don't think you can say in that Ince had clearly lost the players. However, the shambles on the pitch particularly in the second half, where Fulham were allowed to do pretty much as they liked was horribly reminiscent of much of our play under Ince. As someone said to me "I'm glad I read in the paper that we went 4-4-2 near the end because I couldn't see any formation at all."

Sam got it tactically wrong. He's trying to play a young, still learning his trade, centre half into midfield alongside someone who is a pile of steaming manure. Grella can't pass, constantly tries the hollywood ball, is ridiculously slow and barely has the legs to put a tackle in these days. It doesn't make sense that our player of the season last time out, can't get a game ahead of someone we desperately tried to offload.

First match of the season for me and again the agony and the ecstacy. Up until when we scored I thought we were well on top and the only team likely to score. I thought it was inevitable that the ball would go into the back of the net. After that,on what had gone before, saw no reason why we should not go on and win 3 nil.

As usual I always feel nervous when we go one up. We definitely let them back into the game and you could see their confidence growing as they were stringing a series of passes together. Glad that we made it to half time still ahead and expected us to renew our performance after the interval. However they carried on were they left off. Their goal when it came had an inevitability about it. We then played with a touch more urgency but could make little impact. I have no problem with a long ball game per se. I have every problem with a " hoof it anywhere upfield and hope that someone can get on the end of it".

Alladyce joking commented that he would win the double every year with Real Madrid. Mid way through the match I was thinking I would be happy if he could just teach our players to string a few passes together and keep hold of the ball at critical times.

Finally the referee. Most people who bemoan the quality of refereeing and poor decisions are deluding themselves as to what is possible. Without the benefit of TV replays it is almost impossible to reach a sound decision on many incidents. The situation is not helped by the fact that most players are a load of diving lying cheats ( sad but true). However missing the incident when the Fulham goal keeper handled outside the area was probably the worst mistake I have ever seen. It should have been one of the most clear cut, uncontroversial decisions ever and we have markings on the pitch to help us. I thought I must have halucinated the whole thing when play did not stop.

I didn't see any highlights of the game, but by the sounds of it, it was a very disappointing performance. This was a game that I really thought we could win. There is no doubt in my mind that we are the worst footballing team in the league. Our attacking strategy is based on booting the ball up the pitch, hoping to win a corner, free kick or corner, which is then launched into the box, hoping that Samba gets on the end of it and either scores or creates a scramble and one of our players manages to bundle the ball home. Whenever a team is able to find out set pieces properly, we seem to have no other consistent attacking outlet. The best goal we scored this season was against Arsenal, which was a great flowing move. But you feel that this was more by accident than design. I'm not worried just yet, just irritated that this type football is all we seem capable of.

Myself, my brother and friend made the trip up from Southampton on Saturday. Such trips have become less and less over the years for me for various reasons. Until Saturday i had been lucky enough to always experience a Rovers win. Sadly our second half performance put an end to that. Until we have players capable of keeping possession for sustained periods of time, we will struggle to win the majority of our games.

However, the second half performance didn't spoil a good weekend away. I met a couple of board members who were great company beofre the match. A big thank you to Paddy for arranging some passes for us for the Blues Bar.

The biggest disappointment for me was away from football. I was really saddened to come across numerous vile examples of racial hatred. I realised the local population consists of high numbers of ethnic minorities. However i was blissfully unaware of how much this affects people. On at least 3 seperate occassions we encountered deeply racist opinions from people drinking in pubs throughout town. 3 may not seem much, but it was so quiet throughout town, it was actually quite a high percentage. Some of the stuff we heard and saw was so vile i couldn't begin to explain it on here. More worringly, the majority expressing these views were young lads. Although i must stress not all were Rovers fans.

Speaking to a shop owner on Sunday morning we were told how these opinions run deep throughout some local quarters. The owner told us some people have refused to buy from them if the halal meat options were extended beyond that which they were offering already.

As a supporter living outside the postcode, i don't want to been seen to be preaching. Its not my place to, regardless of my own opinions. I can understand how banning Father Christmas from the town center at Christmas will anger people. The same goes for the St Georges flag ban. Examples pointed out to us yesterday. But it seems to me this situation is really damaging to or football club.

If Mr Syed or any other prospective owner intends to tap into the potential support of the ethnic minorities then that is absolutely fantastic. I wish them every success. Because whether people like it or not, the ethnic minorities living in Blackburn are part of our future and are key to any success we may achieve.

I didn't see any highlights of the game, but by the sounds of it, it was a very disappointing performance. This was a game that I really thought we could win. There is no doubt in my mind that we are the worst footballing team in the league. Our attacking strategy is based on booting the ball up the pitch, hoping to win a corner, free kick or corner, which is then launched into the box, hoping that Samba gets on the end of it and either scores or creates a scramble and one of our players manages to bundle the ball home. Whenever a team is able to find out set pieces properly, we seem to have no other consistent attacking outlet. The best goal we scored this season was against Arsenal, which was a great flowing move. But you feel that this was more by accident than design. I'm not worried just yet, just irritated that this type football is all we seem capable of.

I agree with the second part of your post RR but the first part is nonsense. If we are the worst footballing side why would you think we could beat anybody else form the Prem much less a useful Fulham side?

I do think people are guilty of stereotyping other teams based on history. Fulham and Stoke being the most under under rated.

Myself, my brother and friend made the trip up from Southampton on Saturday. Such trips have become less and less over the years for me for various reasons. Until Saturday i had been lucky enough to always experience a Rovers win. Sadly our second half performance put an end to that. Until we have players capable of keeping possession for sustained periods of time, we will struggle to win the majority of our games.

However, the second half performance didn't spoil a good weekend away. I met a couple of board members who were great company beofre the match. A big thank you to Paddy for arranging some passes for us for the Blues Bar.

The biggest disappointment for me was away from football. I was really saddened to come across numerous vile examples of racial hatred. I realised the local population consists of high numbers of ethnic minorities. However i was blissfully unaware of how much this affects people. On at least 3 seperate occassions we encountered deeply racist opinions from people drinking in pubs throughout town. 3 may not seem much, but it was so quiet throughout town, it was actually quite a high percentage. Some of the stuff we heard and saw was so vile i couldn't begin to explain it on here. More worringly, the majority expressing these views were young lads. Although i must stress not all were Rovers fans.

Speaking to a shop owner on Sunday morning we were told how these opinions run deep throughout some local quarters. The owner told us some people have refused to buy from them if the halal meat options were extended beyond that which they were offering already.

As a supporter living outside the postcode, i don't want to been seen to be preaching. Its not my place to, regardless of my own opinions. I can understand how banning Father Christmas from the town center at Christmas will anger people. The same goes for the St Georges flag ban. Examples pointed out to us yesterday. But it seems to me this situation is really damaging to or football club.

If Mr Syed or any other prospective owner intends to tap into the potential support of the ethnic minorities then that is absolutely fantastic. I wish them every success. Because whether people like it or not, the ethnic minorities living in Blackburn are part of our future and are key to any success we may achieve.

A good well intentioned post Patrick. However as you virtually point out this is a typical viewpoint of people who formulate their opinions with no experience and from a safe distance. Just a few points, not to excuse but perhaps to explain that there are two sides to every coin.

1. 'high numbers of ethnic minotities' A contradiction in terms if ever there was one! :rolleyes: How would you feel if I told you that within a decade you and your family and friends were going to be the ethnic minority in the place of your birth and upbringing?

2. "On at least 3 seperate occassions we encountered deeply racist opinions from people drinking in pubs throughout town. 3 may not seem much, but it was so quiet throughout town, it was actually quite a high percentage." You will only hear one side of the story and any racism is obviuously only one way in a pub for goodness sake! The majority of muslims don't drink hence why the pubs that have not closed are quiet and on their last legs, and that is why so much resentment is fomenting in inner Blackburn.

3. Most young lads (kids) around Blackburn have not got through the further education sieve. The brighter ones are at University and those remaining in Blackburn face high unemployment and an uninspiring future. Resentment easily sets in is such conditions of social depravation.

4. Nice to hear that opposition to hallal meat is still and issue with many people. Lets hope that it is spreading.

• Backroom

1. 'high numbers of ethnic minotities' A contradiction in terms if ever there was one! :rolleyes: How would you feel if I told you that within a decade you and your family and friends were going to be the ethnic minority in the place of your birth and upbringing?

Blackburn is 77% white so how have you come to the conclusion that you're now an ethnic minority, Theno?

• Backroom

Think we will find with the 2011 census that BLackburn (not Blackburn with Darwen) will have a much lower white population than 77%.

Sorry, should have noted it was Blackburn w/Darwen. Can't find any information on Blackburn without Darwen, closest I can find is the 2001 Census which is obviously no longer representative of the current climate.

A good well intentioned post Patrick. However as you virtually point out this is a typical viewpoint of people who formulate their opinions with no experience and from a safe distance. Just a few points, not to excuse but perhaps to explain that there are two sides to every coin.

2. "On at least 3 seperate occassions we encountered deeply racist opinions from people drinking in pubs throughout town. 3 may not seem much, but it was so quiet throughout town, it was actually quite a high percentage." You will only hear one side of the story and any racism is obviuously only one way in a pub for goodness sake! The majority of muslims don't drink hence why the pubs that have not closed are quiet and on their last legs, and that is why so much resentment is fomenting in inner Blackburn.

3. Most young lads (kids) around Blackburn have not got through the further education sieve. The brighter ones are at University and those remaining in Blackburn face high unemployment and an uninspiring future. Resentment easily sets in is such conditions of social depravation.

4. Nice to hear that opposition to hallal meat is still and issue with many people. Lets hope that it is spreading.

So you are standing up for rude ignorant numpties who give Blackburn a bad name?

Archived