BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other PL happenings 2010-2011

Tom

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the Telegraph article I posted on this thread previously, the plan would be to sack the board who are sticking up for the club's interests, invest zilch into the club and hope to exit at a profit in about two years' time. All at the cost of replacing Gillett and a big chunk of the RBS loan (not all, but enough to make it powerless) with an American vulture capitalist who most certainly will not have the interests of LFC and its supporters at heart.

• Backroom

I get the feeling Roy is going to rue the day he went to Liverpool. He picked probably the worst time in recent history to manage them, and it looks like the circus that surrounds their boardroom dealings is set to continue for at least another two years.

I can understand Roy's decision to go there, but, he's facing an uphill task atm and it doesn't show any signs of getting better. The fans have not taken to him - for some utterly bizarre reason they adore Benitez to the point of heroism. Nobody can match up to "our Rafa" :blink: . Not only this but he's inherited a team in decline and it looks increasingly likely that he won't have the money required to build them back into a top four side any time soon. Meanwhile, the two players of genuine quality they do have are currently completely off-form and possibly wanting away (Torres) or are going to be required to basically carry the entire team despite age and injuries slowly beginning to catch up (Gerrard).

They'll do well to finish top six this year, imo. I'd fully expect us to take points from them at Ewood.

I get the feeling Roy is going to rue the day he went to Liverpool. He picked probably the worst time in recent history to manage them

I originally thought that because of the financial side of things, but I've been very surprised out of how much money he's been allowed to spend whilst keeping Torres and Gerrard. Surely they're in big trouble when they miss out on the Champions League again next May?

If he does fail I think it'll mainly be of his own making. Meireles and Poulsen look a bit out of their depth at the moment, and Konchesky really isn't good enough to be a Liverpool player. That's a good £20 million worth of players there that haven't improved the team (yet).

He's also got to work out how to get Gerrard and Joe Cole into the team in a way that isn't wasting one of them. By purchasing two deeper midfielders he's forced his own hand a little bit, since the best option to me would be Gerrard deeper with Cole behind Torres...but that would mean ditching Meireles or Poulsen.

• Backroom

I originally thought that because of the financial side of things, but I've been very surprised out of how much money he's been allowed to spend whilst keeping Torres and Gerrard. Surely they're in big trouble when they miss out on the Champions League again next May?

Didn't the sale of Mascherano (17M) & Riera (4.2M) fund the majority of his buys? At best he can only spend money he first generates from sales. Liverpool's sales thus far exceed their incoming this season. The rest of their transfers have been frees (Cole, Jovanovic, Aurelio ... even Konchesky was a player-swap deal).

I think Meireles will prove to be a good buy, but Poulsen and Konchesky are mid-table standard. Jovanovic is yet to impress either. No chance of Liverpool getting 4th this year. I still think they'll be lucky to get 6th.

He's also got to work out how to get Gerrard and Joe Cole into the team in a way that isn't wasting one of them. By purchasing two deeper midfielders he's forced his own hand a little bit, since the best option to me would be Gerrard deeper with Cole behind Torres...but that would mean ditching Meireles or Poulsen.

Can't agree there mate...Gerrard and Torres work well together...yesterday they were miles apart in terms of distance....Liverpool should adopt the two holding mids and let Gerrard go work with torres....Cole will have to be out wide.

Didn't the sale of Mascherano (17M) & Riera (4.2M) fund the majority of his buys? At best he can only spend money he first generates from sales. Liverpool's sales thus far exceed their incoming this season. The rest of their transfers have been frees (Cole, Jovanovic, Aurelio ... even Konchesky was a player-swap deal).

Those sales did fund the transfers, but don't forget they're dealing with £25 million deficit on last year by finishing outside the top four. I thought that would have to be covered by player sales.

I know Cole was technically a 'free' transfer, but he certainly won't be cheap for them. I bet he got a hefty wedge as a signing on fee.

Can't agree there mate...Gerrard and Torres work well together...yesterday they were miles apart in terms of distance....Liverpool should adopt the two holding mids and let Gerrard go work with torres....Cole will have to be out wide.

I know Gerrard is better further forward, but he's still class in a deeper role. It would be the same role he played for England recently, with Cole in the Rooney 'playmaker' position.

Plus Liverpool's chronic lack of pace out wide (notably Kuyt and Jovanovic) is only made worse with Cole out there.

Konchesky 'not good enough for a Liverpool player'.

I'm afraid as their team is between 6th and 8th best in the league, he IS good enough for LFC.

They have lived off their reputation for long enough, their TEAM is average and are signing players to match.

No.

Their team is one of the best four, their squad however...

......I can understand Roy's decision to go there, but, he's facing an uphill task atm and it doesn't show any signs of getting better. ........... Not only this but he's inherited a team in decline and it looks increasingly likely that he won't have the money required to build them back into a top four side any time soon. Meanwhile, the two players of genuine quality they do have are currently completely off-form (Kevin Davies) and possibly wanting away (Le saux) or are going to be required to basically carry the entire team despite age and injuries slowly beginning to catch up (Sherwood).

Spooky huh?

• Backroom

An interesting comparison 'Drog... he took over us when we were beginning to fall from grace (well, we'd already begun our fall but had no idea of the sharp descent that was to follow), and arguably Liverpool are in a similar position now. No chance of them going down unfortunately, but unless their boardroom issues are resolved I see tough times ahead for the scousers.

No.

Their team is one of the best four, their squad however...

I can't say I agree with that. Their first 11 is inferior to that of Chelsea, United, Arsenal, Spurs and City. I would say it's on a par with Villa.

I can't say I agree with that. Their first 11 is inferior to that of Chelsea, United, Arsenal, Spurs and City. I would say it's on a par with Villa.

I would say the fact that 3 of this season's Liverpool regular midfielders have been recent acquisitions (Cole, and in particular Poulson and Meireles), it will be Christmas before they gather some semblance of a coherent side. Maxi hasn't exactly set the world alight yet either. Top 6 would be a good season for them (not that their fans would admit to that).

Archived