BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Takeover

I'm not worried about the next owner, they will have had to prove their wealth and their intentions to achieve a sale.

It's the owner after that I'm worried about!

There's a real possibility that any new owner will have, as Sam suggested, underestimated what they have taken on. They will, in turn be less picky than the trust are being about who they offload the club to.

I'm usually darned positive about everything but this is a nagging worry and I hope that new owners will heed Sam's words and consider the huge commitment, not just of a Premier League football club but the well-being and economy of a town in danger of losing itself in an economic pit of misery over the next few years. (That's the most depressing thing I've ever written)

I think Mr Syed is showing that he knows that feeling is there by making donations to something at the heart of the town. I know most of us aren't religious and I would happily see any church without architectural value torn down with the rest remaining for historical value, but I don't think he could have chosen a cause that would have had more people saying 'good on him', which is cynical but brilliant.

Anyway, as I say it's not Mr Syed I'm worried about, it's who comes after...

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not worried about the next owner, they will have had to prove their wealth and their intentions to achieve a sale.

It's the owner after that I'm worried about!

There's a real possibility that any new owner will have, as Sam suggested, underestimated what they have taken on. They will, in turn be less picky than the trust are being about who they offload the club to.

I'm usually darned positive about everything but this is a nagging worry and I hope that new owners will heed Sam's words and consider the huge commitment, not just of a Premier League football club but the well-being and economy of a town in danger of losing itself in an economic pit of misery over the next few years. (That's the most depressing thing I've ever written)

I think Mr Syed is showing that he knows that feeling is there by making donations to something at the heart of the town. I know most of us aren't religious and I would happily see any church without architectural value torn down with the rest remaining for historical value, but I don't think he could have chosen a cause that would have had more people saying 'good on him', which is cynical but brilliant.

Anyway, as I say it's not Mr Syed I'm worried about, it's who comes after...

Mogster, I have a feeling that the reason that this takeover is dragging on so long is because of the caveats that were put in Jacks will (this is only me surmising). The potential buyer (me surmising again) may have to include a similar clause if they sell.

I may well be totally wrong, but it's the best I can come up with at the moment.

Until the Rovers are sold, I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

Not sure if WGA are still in the running or not but I stumbled across this article today about them :

Australian company secured a loan from international investment and asset management firm Western Gulf Advisory

It's becoming more and more obvious that WGA and Mr Ali have got some very serious cash behind them. It's also difficult to believe that The Trust would let the careless accumulation of a CCJ as a student come between them and an otherwise good deal for the club.

It can only be the case that Mr Ali is not prepared to meet some condition that The Trust must, or would much rather, include as a condition of sale. Either that or they have found someone who may, or may not, be able to better satisfy this unknown condition of sale.

It also seems to be the case, as Mr Ali still seems to be hopeful of a sale, is maintaining contact with the club, and continues to spend substantial amounts of money on his bid, that there may yet be a way around these difficulties.

To me, Mr Ali's donation (a relatively long term commitment for someone who has no previous connection with the area) to Blackburn Cathedral indicates that The Trust is seeking to tie in some kind of commitment to '...do everything possible to maintain Rovers as a club and business in the highest possible reaches of the English football structure, and for the benefit of the wider Blackburn community and all Rovers supporters' or something along those lines. The donation being a step to show some king of willing towards being committed to the wider Blackburn community, and acknowledgment that the ownership of the club brings with it a parallel responsibility to safeguard Rovers for the community and supporters.

One can only imagine the difficulties of trying to incorporate this kind of subjective condition into a contract of sale. Not to mention the difficulties of trying to prove a case if it was thought necessary to take action for breach of any such condition of sale. My wife's a commercial lawyer and looked at me like I was mad for even asking the question about how such a term could be incorporated, indicating both that she likes an easy life and something of the enormous difficulties for lawyers on both sides (although I'm sure they're lapping up the fees).

Of course this is all speculative but it seems to me to be a likely reason for Mr Ali, and possibly others, stumbling when they seem to be getting towards the last (or at least the penultimate) hurdle.

Wonder if we are any closer to the end of the takeover now and have a new owner soon? Does anybody know who the rovers member of the trustees went to see? or looking into the background of the potential owners? Maybe went to see Mr Shah for talks about his group buying rovers?

Keep hearing that Mr Ali is on the verge of buying the club, within days.

Keep hearing that Mr Ali is way, way out of the running.

A few weeks ago, all the information coming out was the same, now it's all over the place.

I think that the best indicator so far is the donation made by syed, that is factual and real beyond doubt. Why would anyone do that if they were not going to purchase the club? Has anyone heard of similar things happening and then deals falling through?

Bpf-are the chicken people still in the running or have they sizzled out-sorry!

My guess would be that Ali is close to clinching a deal. The guy is still around after all the speculation and the Donation to the Cathedral suggests that he's in touch, at least, with the current situation around Blackburn.

Total guess though.

As an aside, I just had dinner with an ex-colleague who is head of marketing for one of India's top consumer goods companies, and he wasn't the least surprised to hear that 2 or 3 or 12 Indian companies are bidding for Rovers (as in a.n.other EPL club) He confidently assured me that, within the next few years, EPL will be bigger than cricket with young adult male Indians, of whom there are only a few hundred million.

I won't disagree with that. A total different sport, MMA, is also trying to tap into India as we speak. Lorenzo Fertitta from the UFC is holding talks there as we speak to try and expand. There is so much potential for growth in India for most sports it is almost unreal. If football only grows half as popular there as in Norway then the EPL will still be HUGE.

Other then that den sums up my thoughts well. Without wanting to start a religious debate in here, is Syed not muslim? Seems odd to make a contribution across religions, especially with Blackburn's growing Muslim population (separate discussion too! :P) but what do I know?

Exciting times.

A few weeks ago, all the information coming out was the same, now it's all over the place.

Isn't this pretty much what Nicko was saying?

Personally, I find it quite fascinating.

We'll either be sold, or we won't.

A typically contradictory statement. I don't want us sold to someone who, having been fairly heavily vetted, will come in and give us some money to spend, you say. So what's the alternative? Stick with the Trust? They won't invest, you say. Forget them? Just exactly what do you want? A fairy godmother who'll come along and bring a fan with loads of dosh they just can't wait to pour into the club's coffers. I've got news for you - fairy godmothers only really exist in fairy tales, not in real life. We got lucky and got a rich uncle once, but never again. In real life you take the least worst option and work with it.

What is this "fairy godmother" buisness when Syed has implamented quite clearly that he wants to follow in Jack's footsteps? Has he been proven to be a liar? What evidence is there of that so far? I'd understand some people being suspicious, but many on here are acting as if he's long been thrown out of the race and we should forget about him and his promises alltogether, and those that dare still find him credible are "gullible". What have I missed? Forget even facts, show me logical motvation why he would splash so much cash already with the hopes of owning (or as he says "being one of the fans") of Rovers, and if he is lying, what precisely is his grand secret masterplan?

Go on.

I personally thought that the VH group was in pole position at the weekend. But since Mr Ali story about giving money to the Catherdal. Why would he do that if he still didn't want to buy us. Now I think that Syed Ali is in pole position. And I think he has money from read again him giving a loan to an Austrilia company of 210 million dollars. Thats a lot of money imo and will invest the same in rovers but not in a loan.

I think that Mr Ali is best owner we could have imo at the minute. Wonder if thats why a member of the rovers trustees went to India to look into Syed Ali and speak to people over there about him.

I think that the best indicator so far is the donation made by syed, that is factual and real beyond doubt. Why would anyone do that if they were not going to purchase the club? Has anyone heard of similar things happening and then deals falling through?

Bpf-are the chicken people still in the running or have they sizzled out-sorry!

Nice work.

I honestly have no idea anymore. You have all caught up to the same point I was up to. I don't think the mystery bidder is involved anymore, but he could be!

BPF is on the ball so far as I am concerned.

VH are working very hard to close the purchase.

Ali Syed probably needs to allay a number of concerns or else he is not a player. That said there is another wonderful good news story about to break courtesy of Mr Syed.

Ali Syed probably needs to allay a number of concerns or else he is not a player. That said there is another wonderful good news story about to break courtesy of Mr Syed.

you tease...

Do we have any idea how far the VH group have got?

What's the story? Also what newspaper is it in? Philipi do you work for the LET paper?

do you mean this story - Bahrain: Grand gala Workers Day to be held

Oh, more childish 'I know something you don't know' nonsense. How thrilling! Why don't you and BPF just admit you haven't got a clue what's going on? The hedging of your bets on every post tells a tale.

I tell you what I've heard, and why I'm so infuriated by the rubbish that is posted on here, Mr Ali is far further ahead in the process than any of the other interested parties. There is a large stumbling block, about which I don't know the full details, but I'm led to believe it is something that the other interest parties would also have difficulties with, if they are allowed to get to that stage. I speculated about what this might be in a previous post.

See how easy it is? Say what you know or say nothing!

Archived