BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Liverpool v Blackburn Rovers

We've had a tough run of games, some bad luck at the start of the season and Sam has made some mistakes. I still believe that by the new year we will not be 17th, more like 11th-14th were we should be. If we're not and we still sit in or around the relegation zone then we will have to think about what needs changing, but I dont believe that will be the case.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sam had 6m the season before and bought a player he could mould into a davies. He's been here 18 months or so and its quite clear he is never going to thrive in his current role. As much as I like the lad and think he could do well, I just don't see it happening at Rovers. JW once said we couldn't afford to get it wrong with our big money buys, this could be the one that causes the most problems. Its a sad day when the only way for a manager to succeed is based solely around 1 single player in the whole world of football.

The club have suffered because the big signing from the season before-Grella -has also been a huge disappointment.

Dont you just love the reactions on this board sometimes!

Why do people compare our game to Blackpools? We are an established premier league team where the normal premier leagues teams have plenty of analysis on our abilities, tactics etc.

Blackpool are new, not much is known about many of there summer signings and alot of big teams will under-estimate them like they did with Burnley last season.

People bang on and on about Blackpool like they are amazing...now wake up, they have 1 more point than us & we beat them at their own place. They will go down, we will not!

The club have suffered because the big signing from the season before-Grella -has also been a huge disappointment.

True, very true. IMHO we've spunked all the Bentley & RSC money on some right dross and it really shows when looking at our team.

AT times I wonder whether a director of football would work at rovers as it seems since the days of Kenny we've gotten most of our big money signings very wrong.

What's your reaction? The usual 'dib dib dib dob dob dob All is well on the Rovers front!?

Why do people compare our game to Blackpools? We are an established premier league team where the normal premier leagues teams have plenty of analysis on our abilities, tactics etc.

If that's true, then what greater reason to take the game to Liverpool and mix it about? Less long-throws, high tempo, more passing, they wouldn't be expecting that, would they?

People bang on and on about Blackpool like they are amazing...now wake up, they have 1 more point than us & we beat them at their own place. They will go down, we will not!

It's nothing to do with Blackpool staying up or not, and you know that. Then again.... maybe you don't.

Usual story really no creativity and shocking defending. Midfield yet again the main problem, without a solid midfield base that has a balance between defense and attack you are going to struggle. Wasn't expecting us to win but i thought we would have put in a hard and solid performance resulting in Liverpool having to fight to get the win. Instead it was just far too easy for them today. Its the performances which are far more worrying than the results at the moment.

Robbo is really the only player that stood out, it could have been 4 or 5-0 alone in the first half if it wasn't for him. Diouf showed some nice touches and continues to be probably our player of the season so far.

The rest were just poor in all honesty.

Sam has got to turn it around and fast otherwise we are in trouble. Last season it was pretty clear early on who was going down, its far from clear this time. If it continues this way then we could see a surprise or two go down and we would be a strong candidate for that on current form. Having roughly 30-35% overall posession each game and averaging just one goal a game is relegation form.

Blackpool are new, not much is known about many of there summer signings and alot of big teams will under-estimate them like they did with Burnley last season.

The 10-12 games or so they have played this season is more than enough to draw tactical conclusions on a team.

Blackpool yes are still riding high on last seasons promotion miracle and its spurring them on, but they play with heart.

We don't.

What's your reaction? The usual 'dib dib dib dob dob dob All is well on the Rovers front!?

It's nothing to do with Blackpool staying up or not, and you know that. Then again.... maybe you don't.

So why do people bang on about Blackpool - would you like to play nice football & go down?? Because id much rather watch us in the premier league than the championship, paying higher ticket prices for watching sh!tter football!

My view is simple - Its always a tough place to go (when did we last win at anfield in the league?), it was a massive game for Roy & his team, and they clearly wanted it more. We didnt play in there face enough and we didnt close them down quick enough...we also have too many average players who dont offer much (Emerton to name 1). We clearly missed Samba, and Grella isnt as good as NZonzi either! These games wont define our season, ANYTHING would be a bonus today, like it was at City away.

That was dreadful.

Why are our players so awful in possession? Only Diouf seems capable of close control and maintaining possession in the final third, the rest look so panicky. Obviously Dunn can do this too when 100% fit.

Givet was the worst player on the field, I'd be looking to get rid of him in January; too small to be a centre half, far too limited as a footballer to be a full back. Jones is a cracking defender but needs a physically imposing partner, he should not be expected to mark someone like Kyrgiakos whilst he's still developing physically.

Benjani did excellently to set up the goal, which was about the only high point. I think he lost the ball every time after that though.

Yet again, Rovers bored- Papa didn't break sweat-Big Sam is getting nowhere with his one man up top with wide man joining routine. Dunn, Emerton, NZonzi contributed little in the middle though and nobody was breaking a gut to join Kalinic (or Benjani). He is too stubborn to change tactics-he seems to think that to replace Kalinic with Benjani is a master stroke. His injury excuse was feeble, as it was predictable, in his after- match interview. Don't fancy us against Chelsea-we may get a draw at home to Wigan if Sam plays his average five in the middle-don't think he'll risk going for three points in either match though. This will leave us possibly 19th. Maybe JW can explain why he did not back his manager's plans this summer without the garbage of "potential sale".

So why do people bang on about Blackpool - would you like to play nice football & go down?? Because id much rather watch us in the premier league than the championship, paying higher ticket prices for watching sh!tter football!

My view is simple -

It normally is.

Looking at the big picture (ie beyond just the result, which from all acounts could've been much worse), we have an obdurate, tactically-inept manager, a team without any heart or guile, a toothless forward line that doesn't get any ammunition, a virtually non-existent midfield and a dodgy defence with a goalkeeper who's admittedly an excellent shot-stopper but is vulnerable to balls from out wide. Behind all that lies a tale of chronic under-investment, best players being sold and replaced with sub-standard dross.

But all is apparently well because we play rubbish football so that means we'll stay up.

My view is simple - Its always a tough place to go (when did we last win at anfield in the league?), it was a massive game for Roy & his team, and they clearly wanted it more. We didnt play in there face enough and we didnt close them down quick enough...we also have too many average players who dont offer much (Emerton to name 1). We clearly missed Samba, and Grella isnt as good as NZonzi either! These games wont define our season, ANYTHING would be a bonus today, like it was at City away.

'They clearly wanted it more' And that's ok is it?

Christ if other teams 'want it more', we really are fecked.

Just because it's Anfield we write it off as not one for Sam's target list.

They are a poor outfit, nothing today has changed my mind on that. However, a lot of their poorness is down to a lack of confidience in key areas.

No better way then for Torres et al to get some confidence back than us to stand off them, invite pressure and give the ball away for an hour.

You could see in the last 15 minutes that they were a fragile side.

I have supported Sam and probably still do, because I don't see an alternative at the moment and we still have these takeover rumours rumbling on, but that was pi$$ poor and you've got to wake up.

What happens if we don't beat Wigan? like we didn't beat Fulham or Sunderland. The league has moved on and we ain't.

I can't believe for a minute that the football would be any worse than the total dross BFS serves up.

Blackpool are a reference point because they went to Liverpool, took the game to them, played football and won - with a team consisting of worse players in every dept than ours. The only thing they've got that improves on what we have is the manager - at least Holloway has got some balls and passion, and not just an overinflated ego like Allardyce.

Sam knows only one way - at the moment we're heading in the wrong direction playing his system, and it appears he's too stubborn, arrogant and ignorant to change.

That was dreadful.

Why are our players so awful in possession?

Because they've had the ability, skill and technique coached out of them. It doesn't need a Michel Platini to play a system where you rely almost totally on hitting it long and early in the vague general direction of one striker trying in vain to battle 4 defenders.

The tactics/system/style have to change, or the manager does - it's that simple for me.

I would love to be proven wrong on this point but the way we are playing I can't see it.

The league is mega tight this season, just a few poor performances in a row could be the difference between staying up and sinking like a stone - perhaps this might benefit us in the New Year if the chickens come home to roost! (sorry)

People a continuing to point to Blackpool as an example as how to play because they are actuall playing as a TEAM and have a manager who has already admitted to making mistakes with his tactics this season, something Sam will not only not do publicly, but won't even try and change them because he's so bloody pig headed.

I actually thought we had turned a corner on Monday night when he appeared to actually try and go for it with his substitutions, but today he was as bad as ever.

I try not to voice knee jerk reactions but when you're continually served muck something has to give.

I have to say that I'm in complete agreement with those condemning the use of 5 in the middle if all we're going to do is lump it long and get overrun in the middle despite having more men in there.

We're lacking a destroyer so much it hurts :mellow:

Where is it wrote in the football bible that states Thou must play defensive longball football to survive the premiership test?

Sometimes its impossible to take your posts seriously watching Rovers at the moment is worse than watching any team in any league if you like to watch football being played.

No-one is asking for us to play football like Brazil people just want to see heart, ambition, team spirit and not bow down to previous stats because they say we dont win at Anfield, the comparison between us and blackpool is simple they went there and played with heart and effort and got three points and they enetertained there fans, probably gave them a day they will never forget, we went with our usual defensive gameplan and got bugger all and our performance was instantly forgetable.

Liverpool are at an all time low and are having a bit of a crisis and for me they were there for the taking today, Sam went there for a point and it showed.

Dear all, a short but swift comment here for you to try and sum up my opinions without ranting (this is difficult)...

If we play good football and entertain the fans we will not go down because unlike Blackpool and Burnley we have a strong team (on paper), thinking that hoofball=safety and good football=relegation is insulting to Rovers as you're effectively saying we have as poor a players as said teams. At the end of the day we play poor football that isn't working now so why do you think it's going to start working soon?! We are losing fans, losing money from tv as NO ONE in their right mind (Rovers fans excluded) wants to watch us, and we do reluctantly at best. I'm not calling for Sam's head but things need to change but I know they won't as Big Sam is too stubborn and stupid. I could rant about how we need to play Kalinic, Jones etc in a more suitable way but it is wasted words. All I need to say is, yes Sam did great for us last year, but this year he isn't and he isn't going to with the way we are playing. I just want to get my point across without being shot down and just say how disillusioned I am with Rovers.

Apologies for ranting in the end but believe me I could have gone on a lot more.

Because they've had the ability, skill and technique coached out of them. It doesn't need a Michel Platini to play a system where you rely almost totally on hitting it long and early in the vague general direction of one striker trying in vain to battle 4 defenders.

Come on, you don't really believe that do you?

Sam has an excellent reputation in the game, and a lot of players are happy to sing his praises. Neither would be the case if he coached skill and technique out of players (I don't think that's even possible to be honest).

The players have got to start taking more responsibility for this. Sam obviously wasn't happy at all with what they were doing because he left his usual post in the stand midway through the first half.

It normally is.

Looking at the big picture (ie beyond just the result, which from all acounts could've been much worse), we have an obdurate, tactically-inept manager, a team without any heart or guile, a toothless forward line that doesn't get any ammunition, a virtually non-existent midfield and a dodgy defence with a goalkeeper who's admittedly an excellent shot-stopper but is vulnerable to balls from out wide. Behind all that lies a tale of chronic under-investment, best players being sold and replaced with sub-standard dross.

But all is apparently well because we play rubbish football so that means we'll stay up.

Good post BB :)

Come on, you don't really believe that do you?

Sam has an excellent reputation in the game, and a lot of players are happy to sing his praises.

The players have got to start taking more responsibility for this. Sam obviously wasn't happy at all with what they were doing because he left his usual post in the stand midway through the first half.

The only person I've heard say Sam Allardyce has an excellent reputation is Sam Allardyce. ;)

It doesn't matter what I believe, it's what we see every week that counts, and it's obvious that these players have much more to give but are hamstrung by the system and the way they're asked to play. The players take some of the blame, but the lion's share lies with the manager and his stubborn adherence, often to the detriment of the team, on his preferred set-up.

First half against Arsenal we played 15 yards further forward and didn't rely on hitting it long all the time - we more than matched the best footballing side in the Prem. We CAN play, if we're allowed too.

we have an obdurate, tactically-inept manager, a team without any heart or guile, a toothless forward line that doesn't get any ammunition, a virtually non-existent midfield and a dodgy defence with a goalkeeper who's admittedly an excellent shot-stopper but is vulnerable to balls from out wide. Behind all that lies a tale of chronic under-investment, best players being sold and replaced with sub-standard dross.

No we will stay up because we have a manager who knows how to get the results in the matches that define our season.

He proved that when he took over from Ince & he proved that last season again. He will also more than likely prove that again this season.

I agree our midfield quality is poor & they dont provide our attack many chances but most of that comes from your sentence.

'They clearly wanted it more' And that's ok is it?

They are a poor outfit, nothing today has changed my mind on that. However, a lot of their poorness is down to a lack of confidience in key areas.

What happens if we don't beat Wigan? like we didn't beat Fulham or Sunderland. The league has moved on and we ain't.

Its not ok - but im not suprised - we were missing Samba, he is inspirational to our team & he is our main man. Our midfield also lacks bite...unfortunatley for us, Ince wasted £4m on Gorilla!

If we dont beat Wigan or Newcastle, then we need to start worrying!

Blackpool. The only thing they've got that improves on what we have is the manager - at least Holloway has got some balls and passion, and not just an overinflated ego like Allardyce.

No they also have the fact that big players under-estimate them, teams dont know much about them & they are still playing off the confidence from promotion.

Im not saying everything is right about our team, it clearly isnt - but investment plays a big part & we havent had any! Sam is the best man for the job AT THE MOMENT...given funds, that will change!

Moan moan bloody moan! I've read two pages and given up due to too many imbecilic posts from too many spoilt individuals. I'm now getting the distinct impression that more than a few people are now actually willing us to lose matches and happy when we do in order to score cheap points against the manager. Don't bother telling me I'm wrong about this cos I'm not and I'll not accept it either.

I've said earlier in the season that due to having no money to improve the squad that I think we are in the relegation mix and it appears my judgement is proving accurate. For those that missed it the 60's it's very reminiscent of 1965/66 all over again. Many seem to think that Allardyce is crap but who the hell else apart from some lower league chancer will even consider coming with nothing to spend and a reputation to lose? And without money how will they improve anything? If we are to survive it will only be by the current squad nurturing a strong team spirit and

digging in under Allardyce's experienced management. With Allardyce in charge avoiding relegation looks like being an almighty struggle, without him it's a certainty.

BUT .... Given our finances and the prospect of the club being a short term plaything for some dodgepot from the Indian sub continent I'm coming to the opinion that relegation will actually

be a relief and best for the younger supporters who will be able to become aquainted with the true position of a club and a town our size in English football. Jack Walker provided us with our fantasy but in doing so has left so many in this town totally detached from reallity. A future in the basement divisions being just the ticket for re-aligning peoples perceptions.

Parsonally speaking if we are relegated I'll probably drop off from going over the ensuing couple of seasons and will find other things to do with my Saturdays. I'll be unlikely to buy a season ticket too. In fact I'd imagine most will when the club will be forced to accompany relegation with doubling the cost of ST's. £500 quid to watch football in Div 1 or 2 being mighty unpalatable after we've been mollycoddled for so long.

The current moaners will of course switch allegiance to one of the Big 4 teams whilst the remaining 5000-8000 loyal stalwarts will continue to turn up and support the club through footballs backwaters sucking on their pints and reminiscing about the Walker years as they view an impending 3rd round FA cup tie against WHU, Villa or Everton as the match of the season.

The FA will be happy, the press and media happy too and the natural order in English football will be restored.

No we will stay up because we have a manager who knows how to get the results in the matches that define our season.

I'm sorry, but to use that as your defense is complete and utter rubbish...even for you.

Stop using bloody buzz words and talking about matches that define our season, you get the same 3 points for winning every game.

We only get ourselves involved in "season defining games" because of a total lack of bottle in games that are there for the taking, i.e. todays match, even at 2-1 they looked like throwing it away if they had to suffer any pressure at all.

I'm quite frankly feed up with all this talk of targets and must win matches. We should be aiming to win every game we play - and yes even those against the likes of Chelsea.

It's the constant talk of winning certain games that leads to the type of performances that we witnessed today and inturn have us looking over our shoulders until the end of the season.

Thanks for keeping us up Sam but I think you've run your race...

Archived