Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Liverpool v Blackburn Rovers

I was at the game yesterday and here's how I rated the players:

Robinson: 9 Simply outstanding

Salgado - 6 Steady but never got forward and didn't do anything positive

Olsson - 6 As above

Jones - 6 Looked ok but poor marking at crucial times

Givet - 5 Not his best game, gave ball away too much

Emerton - 3 Woeful. Took 20mins for him to touch the ball and when it came to him he didnt have a clue

Pedersen - 4 - Slightly better than Emerton but that's being generous

Dunn - 4 Just never got in the game and couldn't influence in any shape or form

Diouf - 7 Best outfield player by a mile. Always looked like he could make something happen and the only positive player

Nzonzi - 5 Annonymous

Kalinic - 4 Never got any service but couldnt hold it up when the ball rarely got to him

Grella - 6 Actually did ok in terms of trying to win the ball and set up some positive play but just not destructive enough

Hoilett - 5 Ran around when he came on but never stood a chance

Benjani - 7 Tried to make things happen and was the only player to actually beat a man

Overall performance - 5 The only time we did anything positive resulted in a goal. First half was woeful, second slightly better but we're in a relegation scrap this season.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gosh! Your 1'6d (7p for anybody under 45) every fortnight must have stretched a long way if you think it's still relevent now! However I'll forgive you if you buy a shirt from the club every season for a grandchild, or subscribe to Rovers Player ( http://www.rovers.co.uk/page/player/Home) etc. :tu:

It meant as much as the admission price does today theno.

• Backroom

As none of us are privvy to the going's-on between players and managers, before, during and after matches, it's difficult to say whether it is the players at fault or Allardyce.

Clearly, things were not working out in the first half of the match. We got savaged and it was hard to watch. Sam saw this (how could he not?) and came down from his technical position early to try and get the message across to the players that things were not going to plan. The way we'd set up was a disaster - Kalinic was completely and utterly isolated. Even if he would have been able to bring down one of the long balls regularly smashed up to him, there was never anybody within passing distance so chances are he would have lost the ball anyway. The gap between the midfield and the attack was shocking and meant we offered zero threat to Liverpool at any point during the first half.

Was it Sam's fault or the players fault for misinterpreting his tactics? Difficult to say.... but after a year and a half of getting to know Sam and his system you would have thought the players would have gotten to grips with Sam's instructions by now. Whatever the case, in the second half we did what I assume Sam wanted in the first half and played the same system but with more support to the lone striker. This meant we were actually able to play it on the deck and interlink passes between midfield and attack.

The problem is, aside from our well-worked goal, this didn't really work either. Much like at Stoke we never really looked dangerous or like we'd cause Liverpool any serious concern. Our set-pieces are usually our strong point but they have also been weak as of late.

I hope the players aren't losing faith in Sam's methods, because that really could be the death knell for his spell in charge here. Allardyce's tactics can work, and these players can make them work - we saw that at the back-end of last season. For some reason however we seem to have reverted back into the dire hoofball side that I genuinely thought we'd begun to evolve out of. It's up to Sam to sort out the problem, because there clearly is one. If we don't create more chances from open-play we'll go down - set-pieces alone won't be enough to sustain us. People will say our squad is poor technically and that this style of play is the best we can hope for, but there are teams with comparable squads currently creating far more chances than us in this league, and we need to follow suit or face a very long and likely depressing season.

As none of us are privvy to the going's-on between players and managers, before, during and after matches, it's difficult to say whether it is the players at fault or Allardyce.

Clearly, things were not working out in the first half of the match. We got savaged and it was hard to watch. Sam saw this (how could he not?) and came down from his technical position early to try and get the message across to the players that things were not going to plan. The way we'd set up was a disaster - Kalinic was completely and utterly isolated. Even if he would have been able to bring down one of the long balls regularly smashed up to him, there was never anybody within passing distance so chances are he would have lost the ball anyway. The gap between the midfield and the attack was shocking and meant we offered zero threat to Liverpool at any point during the first half.

Was it Sam's fault or the players fault for misinterpreting his tactics? Difficult to say.... but after a year and a half of getting to know Sam and his system you would have thought the players would have gotten to grips with Sam's instructions by now. Whatever the case, in the second half we did what I assume Sam wanted in the first half and played the same system but with more support to the lone striker. This meant we were actually able to play it on the deck and interlink passes between midfield and attack.

The problem is, aside from our well-worked goal, this didn't really work either. Much like at Stoke we never really looked dangerous or like we'd cause Liverpool any serious concern. Our set-pieces are usually our strong point but they have also been weak as of late.

I hope the players aren't losing faith in Sam's methods, because that really could be the death knell for his spell in charge here. Allardyce's tactics can work, and these players can make them work - we saw that at the back-end of last season. For some reason however we seem to have reverted back into the dire hoofball side that I genuinely thought we'd begun to evolve out of. It's up to Sam to sort out the problem, because there clearly is one. If we don't create more chances from open-play we'll go down - set-pieces alone won't be enough to sustain us. People will say our squad is poor technically and that this style of play is the best we can hope for, but there are teams with comparable squads currently creating far more chances than us in this league, and we need to follow suit or face a very long and likely depressing season.

We need another couple of coaches who are strong from an attacking sense. I honestly believe this would make a world of difference.

Just a couple of observations.

Anfield is a tired football stadium requiring some £s spending to stand a chance of keeping up with contemparies.

Robbo, in cracking form at present.

They won the battle of the set pieces, especially corners, where we just could not cope with Kyrgiakos, Samba was sorely missed in this area and so too was N'Zonzi limping off with a hammy after half an hour. Was MGP the most appropriate person to pick up the big Greek?

Which law is it that allows Stevie G to niggle and complain, basically do whatever he pleases and yet we get yellow cards for less? That being said, without him they are a very average side.

They sat back for the last 20 minutes which allowed us to pass it around a little, however with little end product.

The last few games have underlined the need for investment in the team and today was no different. I know that it's popular to have a go at the manager and the tactics - and goodness knows there were many doing that at Anfield this afternoon. If our manager had been given a significant amount of money to spend in the summer then fair enough. However, he was the only manager in this League who was given virtually nothing to spend during the transfer window. The fact that we finished tenth last season, had trimmed the wage bill by selling Benni and had gained extra TV revenue resulted in a transfer budget of something like one and a half million. A sum which makes a mockery of our claims to be a Premier League club.

I have always felt that the Trust have done an excellent job for the club. However, I do believe that the takeover distracted the powers that be from the shortcomings on the pitch. We have failed to strengthen when it was obvious, last season, that we needed to improve certain areas of the squad. The old saying that if you're not going forwards, you're going backwards was never more true than it is today at Ewood Park. You can't stand still in football and that is what we have tried to do and we are now paying the price.

If and when we are sold the new owners will have to back the manager - be it Sam or someone new - with a considerable amount of money to improve the squad in both midfield and attack. I still believe that Sam will keep us up this season but at some point the new owners if we get them, or the Trust if we don't, are going to have to sit down and come up a with different financial strategy for the club. We are continually told, and I certainly believe it, that Premier League football is imperative for the future of the club. However, without serious investment in the playing staff I doubt Sir Alex Ferguson could keep this club afloat in this League for much longer.

I agree with all of that Parsonblue.

It's just all too easy to blame the manager for the teams shortcomings, but the bottom line is that football is about players. This is the Liverpool thread and the truth is that Liverpool are, man for man, still better than us. So why expect rovers - struggling ourselves - to go and get any kind of result there? Because Blackpool did apparently! Crazy logic.

Get a squad that's comparable to Liverpool's, then look at other reasons why we lose [such as the manager or his tactics].

I agree with all of that Parsonblue.

It's just all too easy to blame the manager for the teams shortcomings, but the bottom line is that football is about players. This is the Liverpool thread and the truth is that Liverpool are, man for man, still better than us. So why expect rovers - struggling ourselves - to go and get any kind of result there? Because Blackpool did apparently! Crazy logic.

Get a squad that's comparable to Liverpool's, then look at other reasons why we lose [such as the manager or his tactics].

Why with exactly the same team as last can we no longer play in the manner we finished last season?

Why are the players that helped us in that finish not playing anymore?

Why have we reverted back to exactly the same style of football we started last season with?

A sign that I'm getting older .... On the coach heading to Anfield today we passed a sign to Fazakerley ... at which point the lad behind me scoffed "What kind of name is that? Are we in bloody Russia or summat?" When I then asked him if he had heard of Derek Fazakerley, he just looked blank. (sigh)

Quality :lol:

Why with exactly the same team as last can we no longer play in the manner we finished last season?

Why are the players that helped us in that finish not playing anymore?

Why have we reverted back to exactly the same style of football we started last season with?

Why do people believe that you can stand still in the league table, even when everyone else has strenghtened?

Why do people think players can replicate exactly the same form, season after season?

Why can't people see that squads go stale?

Why can't people see that football is about players?

Why do people believe that you can sell all your best players, not replace them with the like, and still stay in the top flight?

Bottom line here is the manager goes to Anfield for a draw, not a bad approach I agree, but when the obvious happens and we’re getting beat, he has no plan B. This has been the case since Stoke away in his first season, clueless.

Worst of all he’s now playing the same formation at home with Kalinic trying his best, but he’s not good enough to play that role, 6m eh Sam?

Our 10th place finish last season was remarkable, all credit to the manager for that, but from what I’ve seen so far this season we’ve gone backwards in a big way and relegation is real possibility.

Why do people believe that you can stand still in the league table, even when everyone else has strenghtened?

Why do people think players can replicate exactly the same form, season after season?

Why can't people see that squads go stale?

Why can't people see that football is about players?

Why do people believe that you can sell all your best players, not replace them with the like, and still stay in the top flight?

Very true - all this takeover talk is making some members delusional at the moment....

I don't believe that to be true Gav.

Well if yesterday was Allardyces attempt at winning a game, I'd hate to see it when we're going for a point!

I hate to keep going back to Hughes reign, but I'd have been happy to watch us anywhere in the world under Hughes, win lose or draw, because we had a go, you got your moneys worth.

Allardyce just doesn’t have that philosophy and that’s why the away followings are the worst they’ve been in years.

Well if yesterday was Allardyces attempt at winning a game, I'd hate to see it when we're going for a point!

I hate to keep going back to Hughes reign, but I'd have been happy to watch us anywhere in the world under Hughes, win lose or draw, because we had a go, you got your moneys worth.

Allardyce just doesn’t have that philosophy and that’s why the away followings are the worst they’ve been in years.

Under Hughes we had better players Gav. Bellamy, RSC, a fit McCarthy were way above anything we have now.

Let's not forget either, that under Hughes we regularly played Bellamy as a lone striker and played the long ball up to him and it worked brilliantly.

Difference between then and now is the player, not the tactics.

Under Hughes we had better players Gav. Bellamy, RSC, a fit McCarthy were way above anything we have now.

Let's not forget either, that under Hughes we regularly played Bellamy as a lone striker and played the long ball up to him and it worked brilliantly.

Difference between then and now is the player, not the tactics.

1. You honestly don't see a change in tactics?

2. If you don't, and they aren't working since you say we don't have the personnel to pull it off, why haven't they been changed?

We did not play well at all yesterday. Rovers continued with their long established traditions of gifting a team a win when it needs one, and allowing a shot shy striker the opportunity to start firing again.

I think a blind man on a galloping horse can see that we are toothless up front. Punting 60 yard balls up to a single striker doesn't yield much. Our midfield can't get up there to help him quick enough.

Allardyce will keep us up, no messing, but we will have to put up with sh!te until we get funds to buy better players. Even then it's a mystery though.

Kyrgiakos has remined me of someone for months now, and I've just figured out who; Lorenzo Amoruso.

thanks to pancini for alerting me to these stats.

Team Goals Shots On Target Shot Accuracy Succ Passes

Blackburn 8 69 25 36% 1559

tells its own story!

god i thought yesterdays journey home was depressing... this is worse! :(

as i lamented a few weeks back..in the Nikola Kalinic thread.

the style of play and tactical approach does not work.

http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php/topic/21775-nikola-kalinic/page__st__1720

page 87. couple of comments and posts... and im still awaiting den's 2nd reply! :lol::P

we sold 750 away tickets yesterday.. me included. was amazed we took that many, and sorry for them that had to witness it. :angry2:

Yeah, but you know as me that Maxi and Lucas are poor. IT is typical Rovers that when we play a team someone poor, debutant, just got back from injury type of player plays really good against us.

The older Liverpool fans that I know have been saying Lucas has improved a lot this season compared to his early days. Playing Dunn, empty head Bret, along with Olsson at left back, really handicapped Rovers aided with no quality striker handed Liverpool an easy victory.

Just cant believe there hasnt been scathing criticism of David Dunn on here.

Correct.

We were playing a team yesterday who were low on confidence who we should have been attacking without doubt. Instead we sit back playing the same old 4-5-1 cack inviting pressure on ourselves the whole game and letting them regain their confidence.

The only players worth their shirt yesterday imo were Dioufy and Robbo (I never thought I'd say that)

Last year he had the excuse of Dunny being in decent form to play him in behind the lone striker but this year he doesn't.

For God sake Sam please play 5-3-2 or 4-4-2...something with 2 men up front and something with a bit of bloody attacking intent! We have 3 strikers of good quality...a future Croatian star, a talent who the red lot think is pretty bloody good (he is) and someone who is itching to play and perform judging by his performance yesterday.

Being a big fan of Sams for the job he has done with us over the past couple of years I have to admitt that I'm beginning to lose confidence and faith in him. Either we have a go or he has to go...simple.

What is the point slagging off Dunn, he's a busted flush, painfully off the pace.

On the away support, two years of largely absymal away performances, crap kick off times and obscene ticket prices means big followings will be few and far between.

1. You honestly don't see a change in tactics?

2. If you don't, and they aren't working since you say we don't have the personnel to pull it off, why haven't they been changed?

Tactics/formations change from game to game and within a game, under every manager.

We don't have the players - full stop.

What's difficult to understand?

Cheltenham Alan? I take it you don't have a season ticket? If so it's a shame cos when you say 'hundreds of pounds' you need to be aware that most parts of the ground it's actually just two hundreds!

Here http://www.rovers.co.uk/page/SeasonTickets/0,,10303,00.html

Even coming from Cheltenham for just 50% of the home matches it represents good value for money in this division. Have you not considered getting one? Have you not even considered sharing one? I'm sure sharing a ST must be a terrific option for between any two, three or four of our 'off cumdens'. Just £52.50 each for one Cat A match plus 3 or 4 random ones every season. You should try it.

I work until 1pm on Saturdays and I don`t care for your tone. I`ve covered plenty of miles following Rovers as and when I can for the past 30 years so quit with the preaching.

I work until 1pm on Saturdays and I don`t care for your tone. I`ve covered plenty of miles following Rovers as and when I can for the past 30 years so quit with the preaching.

Nobody cares for his tone Alan. Why he has not been banned is a mystery to me. Best to have him on 'ignore' like a lot of members do. Then you only have to read his trolling when somebody quotes him like you just did.

Archived