BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Liverpool v Blackburn Rovers

Why do people believe that you can stand still in the league table, even when everyone else has strenghtened?

Why do people think players can replicate exactly the same form, season after season?

Why can't people see that squads go stale?

Why can't people see that football is about players?

Why do people believe that you can sell all your best players, not replace them with the like, and still stay in the top flight?

Den, I get these points but I also realise and know that when you are faced with these obvious issues you do not bleat and moan about it. You try new idea's, look for other solutions, get your head and get on with as best you can. Great things can still be achieved within restrictions.

If the processes that motivated the players last season stop working, try new ones.

If their form drops, why has it dropped and what can I do to get it back.

If the squad goes stale and there's limited funds for new players, bring in new idea's through a coach or two to add freshness.

Football is in the main all about players, but I highlight tottenham's meteoric turn around once Redknapp took over to illustrate the influence a manager can have over players.

Yes we have sold our best players and who are the people who have chosen who to sign to replace them??? That's right the managers no one else.

I never truly expected Rovers after the last window to replicate 10th, but I did not expect to see us regress back to just launching it as we did in the first half of last season.

A colleague here is also a Rover he has been to one match, last year he was happy with what he saw in the main. This year he came back and said well I'm glad that only cost me a tenner because I wouldn't pay anymore to watch it, Fulham at home.

Allardyce had them playing good football tail end of last year and as opposed to carrying it on, he's knocked it on the head and reverted to type. These players are capable of better we've all seen it.

Sam's tactics are fine.

As for the appalling spelling on that video.......

OK jim, I'm going to ask you to move from your PC to over there, after that I want you to move here, once you've done that turn around pick up that thing and take it back over there.

Do you understand where I want you to move???

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tactics/formations change from game to game and within a game, under every manager.

We don't have the players - full stop.

What's difficult to understand?

Our tactics are very similar every game. Hence why we are struggling in the second half when teams step things up.

We don't have the players for this system, but we still have established premiership players at our disposal who can pass if they aren't brainwashed to simply boot it.

What's difficult to understand?

What I struggle with - last few games of last season we seemed to have got to grips with Sam's tactics (love em or hate them) and were showing a good mix between hoof and football on the ground. This season - we seem to have gone backwards.

For me - we need to recall Roberts - like him or not he is our best player for playing as a lone striker - push Olsson into midfield (to add some much needed pace)

Unlike many on here - when I look at our squad it looks stronger (on paper) than it has done for a long time. Something is wrong - possibly a second season dip in form for players like Nzonzi (though I never thought he was more than a competent player anyway) - or maybe we are just missing a fully fit in form Dunn (who made so much difference last season). We are likely to get beat by Chelsea - the Wigan match is the one after which fans can really start to worry if we are still in the same boat.

Although I deleted your comment about Diouf-simply because I haven't given it a lot of thought-I do agree with your other comments.

Nonsense. Blackpool were favourites to get relegated last year and got promotion playing football. Their chairman quit within a month of premier league action because of the farcical financial situation.

A pal who is a Blackpool fan said he quit because of his personal situation and nothing to do with the premier league. Allegedly.

Enough recently, theno, and way way back in the late 50's and throughout the 60's too. In fact I've probably been on Ewood more times than some of those that frequent this site.( I think that would be easy in a number of cases-not a jibe aimed at you).

BTW, what day job theno? Pretty much the same as yours, eh, one that allows me to come on here at will, that is, when I'm not playing golf.....

but we still have established premiership players at our disposal who can pass if they aren't brainwashed to simply boot it.

These premiership players aren't as good as you obviously think - and certainly not as good as Liverpool's. Against Liverpool Samba and Nelsen were sorely missed. Our midfield is technically very poor and lacks any kind of pace, nor do we have a striker worth the name.

Take a step back and see what's been happening over the past few seasons, pretty much in line with the trustees withdrawing financial support. Thenodrog in the Liverpool match thread said he'd seen it all before - and he has - and I have.

Allardyce isn't the best manager Rovers have ever had, and he does get things wrong, like all managers do. The football is crap to watch as well, but the truth is, it's been that way for a long time. The football can only improve to any real extent, when we sign better players. To me, all this talk about formations is simply blinding some people to the real problems.

At the moment, with lack of cash and the uncertainty of the takeover, there's nothing going for us as a club. We need new owners and bloody quick. We need someone in charge of the club with the drive and ambition to move us forward. Stay as we are and there's no doubt that we'll go down - with or without Allardyce and his tactics.

Otherwise, ignore the real problems and carry on blaming the manager of the day and his tactics.

I hardly ever watch MOTD any more, so the first time I saw the goals was on BBC Breakfast this morning.

I was amazed at all the goals.

Was the ball going in the net before Ollson headed it-I have only seen it once, but I certainly wasn't sure.

Who in heavens name was supposed to be picking up Torres?

Why with exactly the same team as last can we no longer play in the manner we finished last season?

Why are the players that helped us in that finish not playing anymore?

For a second I thought you were a Liverpool fan who had wandered on here.

Allardyce just doesn’t have that philosophy and that’s why the away followings are the worst they’ve been in years.

C'mon Gav. It's more to do with a combination of the recession, internet streaming at home and pubs that show live matches.

Also the boorish, loutish behaviour of some of the fans must have put loads of people and especially families off following BRFC away. It did with me.

I work until 1pm on Saturdays and I don`t care for your tone. I`ve covered plenty of miles following Rovers as and when I can for the past 30 years so quit with the preaching.

Rather touchy there Alan. I was careful to be as polite (and helpful) as possible. If I hit a nerve it's your problem not mine.

Oh and please ask the other Al to butt out and stop his ###### stirring.

Who in heavens name was supposed to be picking up Torres?

Either Samba or Nelsen. :)

C'mon Gav. It's more to do with a combination of the recession, internet streaming at home and pubs that show live matches.

Also the boorish, loutish behaviour of some of the fans must have put loads of people and especially families off following BRFC away. It did with me.

Rather touchy there Alan. I was careful to be as polite (and helpful) as possible. If I hit a nerve it's your problem not mine.

Oh and please ask the other Al to butt out and stop his ###### stirring.

Either Samba or Nelsen. :)

If you have something to say to Al say it yourself. However, after this response of yours I can`t help but think he has a point. We are your fellow fans and yet all you do is deliberately antagonise. Ever thought of reasoned converstaion? You should try it.

Add to that list Bentley,Warnock et al...makes you want to cry at our current quality player poverty. :(

True. If you took our squad today (as in the 22 or so available to select from) and compare it to the 2006 version you would probably only look to include Samba, Robinson, Jones and GIvet. All defensive players. That is the crux of the problem.

Only two hopes for us really - 1) New investment 2) Serious improvement of the young players who now make up the bulk of the squad.

Under Hughes we had better players Gav. Bellamy, RSC, a fit McCarthy were way above anything we have now.

Difference between then and now is the player, not the tactics.

Add to that list Bentley,Warnock et al...makes you want to cry at our current quality player poverty. :(

SG: not forgetting Tugay in the best form of his career.

The older Liverpool fans that I know have been saying Lucas has improved a lot this season compared to his early days. Playing Dunn, empty head Bret, along with Olsson at left back, really handicapped Rovers aided with no quality striker handed Liverpool an easy victory.

Just cant believe there hasnt been scathing criticism of David Dunn on here.

Its going to take a while for Dunn to get back to full match fitness but he's always had enemies on here.

These premiership players aren't as good as you obviously think - and certainly not as good as Liverpool's. Against Liverpool Samba and Nelsen were sorely missed. Our midfield is technically very poor and lacks any kind of pace, nor do we have a striker worth the name.

Take a step back and see what's been happening over the past few seasons, pretty much in line with the trustees withdrawing financial support. Thenodrog in the Liverpool match thread said he'd seen it all before - and he has - and I have.

Allardyce isn't the best manager Rovers have ever had, and he does get things wrong, like all managers do. The football is crap to watch as well, but the truth is, it's been that way for a long time. The football can only improve to any real extent, when we sign better players. To me, all this talk about formations is simply blinding some people to the real problems.

At the moment, with lack of cash and the uncertainty of the takeover, there's nothing going for us as a club. We need new owners and bloody quick. We need someone in charge of the club with the drive and ambition to move us forward. Stay as we are and there's no doubt that we'll go down - with or without Allardyce and his tactics.

Otherwise, ignore the real problems and carry on blaming the manager of the day and his tactics.

Rubbish.

Olsson, Salgado, Dunn (when fit), Diouf, Pedersen, Grella (when fit) and Kalinic can all play football. N'zonzi can too when he wants to. He's definitely capable of finding a blue shirt, even if it's a short pass to the wing. The lack of pace in the middle is a problem, and this is why we should look to those with pace, like the wingers, and either one of the strikers to come deep (if we have 2 up top), or Dunn up there supporting the lone striker consistently.

It is bizarre that we have played with one up front for so long. Allardyce said that we were playing one up because Dunn was keeping the strikers on the bench, yet when he got injured we stuck with the same tactics which haven't been working all season bar own goals, goalkeeping blunders and fouls on the opposition goal keeper.

The current financial situation is bad for us, but we have talent in the squad already to stay afloat which I think you are overlooking because they don't have the confidence to actually pass a ball under the current orders. It baffles me how people can believe what Allardyce says, he just makes noises, I think he even believes himself half the time.

I am not trying to say we have a better team than Liverpool, obviously, but you don't need a better team to win a game, as others have proved this season. Had we retained possession by passing, which they are capable of doing, there would have been far less strain on the defence. I'm not saying we would have got anything from the game, but I'm sure the fans would be a hell of a lot more positive than they are watching this awful awful thing he's trying to brand as football.

I genuinely believe if our team played football, mixed with the strength of some of our players we could comfortably finish in the top 15 easily, and that is a minimum.

As for the statement that we don't have a decent striker, Kalinic would improve vastly with support, where he didn't have to create everything himself and the likes of Benjani are decent second strikers for a higher bottom half premier league team.

I'm not sure that's correct. We went on Sunday but only because I knew my lad would enjoy it. For me I knew we would lose, I knew the football would be rubbish and I knew I had better things to do. This is a direct result of the manager's football style and sadly I feel the same about home games.

As for fans' behaviour, I've been to Blackpool and Liverpool this season and experienced nothing which would put me off travelling. However I went to Stoke two years ago and would never go back, same applies to Burnley but neither of those clubs provide opportunities for fans of my age and

disposition to enjoy themselves. If you travel away you have to accept the crowd will be more lively, it's how the home club treat support which makes the difference. Anfield was very good on Sunday, another example of a sh!t place to is Old Trafford where visitors are treated appallingly.

I have to say, sitting right amongst the Liverpool fans in the disabled area, we had no problems, everyone was very friendly and the stewards very helpful. Biggest problem was sun in eyes, couldn't see much of the second half despite sun glasses and cap!

was just wondering if there are any posession stats of midfielders compiled anywhere? if there is...... lets do some comparism with other teams :)

you guys got all the formation wrong for Rovers. we are not playing 4-5-1, 4-3-3, 4-4-2, 3-5-2........... its simple! just 9-0-1 (its no men land in midfield):)

When sh!te! football is played with results = Endured unhappiness (at least there is something to be happy about), HOWEVER

when Sh!te! football is played without results = MASSIVE MASSIVE Tragedy cause fans are left with nothing to find comfort from

please stop giving excuses of players not good enough to play football ( i mean the very basic, pass - run into position - simple 1-2), the wages we paying our players...... is not equal to the F.ugly football shown on the pitch.

* wonder if anyone notice that our players simply don't pass on a regular basis, its either hoof ball, or individual football.

* wonder if sam is challenging the very basic of football?

• Moderation Lead

Totally agree on the away game front. I'll go on a lot now, but some of the things I've heard i.e the Owen Coyle song at Wigan last year in the concourse and in a pub in Blackpool, really shameful and not good at all. If I had kids my viewpoint would most likely be different.

If you have something to say to Al say it yourself. However, after this response of yours I can`t help but think he has a point. We are your fellow fans and yet all you do is deliberately antagonise. Ever thought of reasoned converstaion? You should try it.

I'm confused. Which bit offends you? In fact which bit of the original post offended you? Please quote.

How droll, I can only assume your getting all flustered as your god Sam looks like he could well be crossing the road.

Oh well at least you and him will be able to discuss "better days" on the golf course.

We'd prob talk about football players and tactics all the way round. So there'd be no point you joining us us would there majiball?

Archived