BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hong Kong

philipl

It'll be good to be playing against Premier League quality opposition too, instead of the usual dross we've had the last few years. I strongly suspect our slow starts to seasons are partly due to acclimatising again to this level of opponent after tame pre-seasons.

Hardly suprising given your posts.

Mon 25th - Mon 1st Aug - £585 Qatar Airways (In-direct)...next to find a hotel price

In-direct being via Greenland, Chile, New Zealand arriving in Hong Kong about 20 minutes before kick-off after a 4 day trip ... oh I forgot, that used to be the away travel :P

chuffed! was planning to make a trip to ewood in august next year, but since this is in hongkong, shall try to make it a double!

Just a note to the lads who need to convince their ladies to make the trip - July is SALE season in Hongkong, and the discounts are quite attractive. But that said, hongkong in end july is hardly ideal as it is typhoon season. I remember being caught in one in 2007 and ended up trapped in my hotel for 2 days out of a 4 day trip.

chuffed! was planning to make a trip to ewood in august next year, but since this is in hongkong, shall try to make it a double!

Just a note to the lads who need to convince their ladies to make the trip - July is SALE season in Hongkong, and the discounts are quite attractive. But that said, hongkong in end july is hardly ideal as it is typhoon season. I remember being caught in one in 2007 and ended up trapped in my hotel for 2 days out of a 4 day trip.

I'm getting married in June, I've managed to convince my fiancee that we should cancel our honeymoon to Barcelona and go to Hong Kong to watch Rovers instead :) Can't wait!

If you've never been to Hong Kong before, you're in for a treat.

The number of street hawkers is astonishing. After 3 days of nonstop harrassment, I timed and counted for one hour on the last day of a trip: 37 approaches to buy "happy watches" and 14 different "best quality" tailored suits between the ferry and the hotel.

Still, you'd not go without clothes or be late for anything.

Oh my days. My beloveds coming to the Land of the Fragrant Harbour. A warm welcome awaits those hardy souls who make the trip. For those of you planning, book as early as you can as prices change dramatically. There is a large short term market on seats for HK and you would save yourself a bob or two with early commitment. Also, if you can brave the Smoke, the choices from London are wider and considerably cheaper than Manchester.

Hotels are quite expensive in Hong Kong - London prices roughly but the cost of living here is similar to being in an English city..there are plenty of pubs and clubs to keep you happy. Like any international city you can spend as much or as little as you want on both food and drink.

Try and stay on Hong Kong Island if possible. Kowloon on the mainland at a push, but if you go further out taxis become a big cost and it can take time with the traffic over there. English is much more prevalent here on the island too. You will do most of your sight seeing and all your nightlife pretty well on the Island. The 'Street Hawker' post on here refers to Kowloon on the other side of the Harbour where you can get suits made and buy fake watches, bags etc. Ideally you want to be visiting here not staying here though if you can source rooms. Ferries run all the time and cost buttons.

Central is ruinously expensive from accommodation perspective, but because public transport,including taxis, is cheap, plentiful and high quality (air con on the 'Tube') you can pick up reasonable accommodation a little further out but still on Hong Kong Island. Look for North Point, Happy Valley, Quarry Bay, Causeway Bay and Wan Chai (be prepared for some...ahem..colourful bars here) as locations which are still within shouting distance of the Lan Kwai Fong, Soho (both in Central) and Wan Chai. The ground is in Causeway Bay.

It is the rainy season which generally means fierce heat, some storms, and the outside chance of a typhoon which will close the airport etc but generally all is well within 24 hours of it passing through. Just get to 7Eleven, stack up on noodles, whisky and beer and watch the carnage.

Nearer the time I will post some City guides and some suggestions as to Unofficial Rovers bars in the heart of ex pat Honkers.

Cheers!

飲杯! Yámbūi!

If you've never been to Hong Kong before, you're in for a treat.

The number of street hawkers is astonishing. After 3 days of nonstop harrassment, I timed and counted for one hour on the last day of a trip: 37 approaches to buy "happy watches" and 14 different "best quality" tailored suits between the ferry and the hotel.

Still, you'd not go without clothes or be late for anything.

Copy watches.

I stood out as a 6'2" really white guy.

• Backroom

As an aside if you have fears about rovers staying up don't book just yet.

Being a premier league tournament we have to still be a premier league club to participate. If the worst came to worst and we go down we would be replaced.

I imagine it will be a great trip either way though

• Guest featured and unfeatured this topic

Archived